Old 07-18-2005, 01:48 PM

I remember a white knight racing down a residential street and he'd touch someone with his lance and something would happen to them, maybe they'd become brighter? I'm thinking it was in B&W and was for Ajax bleach but it was sooooo long ago.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:59 PM

I remember the "Gillette Cavalcade of Sports", sponsored by Gillette (of course) and that the ads involved a parrot. Oddly, the sport being cavalcaded was always boxing..

Hijack alert! There are many pieces of classical music that will forever be associated in my mind with commercials. Like 1812 Overture always makes me sing "this is the cereal that's shot from guns", or the Triumphal March from Aida is "just look....29 elephants loaded with Golden Grain..." and Vesta la Giubba is always sung with lyrics "No more Rice Krispies...."
Old 07-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

There's a handful, and I don't know which one was first.

A crude animated show called Winky Dink that sold a plastic overlay kids could put on the screen and draw along with the character.

"Trouble, drainage trouble in your home? Call Roto-Rooter right away, and away go troubles down the drain!"

Little robot children with doors on their bellies would open up and drop in a bowl of Kix.

Dinah Shore, singing, "See the USA in your Chevrolet."

Some comedian/host introduced the new Plymouth. The camera zoomed in to the emblem on the front, which they had fiddled with. It spelled PLYOMUTH.

Primetime ads were often live. A female celebrity introduced a new refrigerator with a door that would open either way. It wouldn't open at all, on live TV!
Old 07-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Mr Owl, how many licks does it take to get the the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie-Pop?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu
I remember a white knight racing down a residential street and he'd touch someone with his lance and something would happen to them, maybe they'd become brighter? I'm thinking it was in B&W and was for Ajax bleach but it was sooooo long ago.
They'd turn blinding white. Er, I mean their clothes would. The people already were. "New Ajax laundry detergent is stronger than dirt!"
Old 12-29-2006, 12:56 AM

Eve cigarettes, the ad featured a woman laying on a giant cigarette. Even as a little kid, I thought it was a stupid ad.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:08 AM

"Johnny Smoke", a creepy anti-smoking ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3rq3gdlAaE

And the crying Indian anti-littering ad.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g1MYY-IQ_yU

And:

What walks down stairs, alone or in pairs
and makes a slinkity sound?
A spring, a spring, a marvelous thing!
Everyone knows it's Slinky.
It's Slinky, it's Slinky,
it's fun, it's a wonderful toy.
It's Slinky, it's Slinky,
It's fun for a girl or a boy.

And:

You can make it go fast
You can slow it down
Watch that wheel going round and round
Wheel-o, Wheel-o
Whee! it's a lot of fun

(or something like that)
Old 12-29-2006, 04:38 AM

Another one from Howdy Doody in the early 1950's -- Buffalo Bob sang it:

Royal -- Pudding!
Rich rich rich with flavor,
Smooth smooth smooth as silk,
More food energy than fresh, whole milk.
Royal -- Pudding!

Quote:
marque elf: It involved a chorus line of dancing cigarette packs with very shapely legs.
A pair of those legs belonged to Grace Kelly.

Quote:
Spavined Gelding: ...the Firestone Hour
"If I could tell you of my devotion,
if I could pledge all my love to you,
then my confession would find expression
in all the something something..."
Old 12-29-2006, 07:18 AM

I remember one with an Italian man named Aldo who looked like Avery Schreiber and lived like Hugh Hefner, with women on each arm and the finer things in life. I have no idea what the product was, but every commercial ended with the Schreiber-alike saying "Ciao, bella!"
Old 12-29-2006, 08:53 AM

My favorite from the '50s was for Ipana toothpaste, featuring Bucky Beaver, "Brusha-brusha-brusha. Here's the new Ipana." You can see the commercial in the movie "Grease."
Old 12-29-2006, 09:23 AM

You all reminded me of a lot. Here are some that may not have been mentioned:

Remember the guy who shared a medicine cabinet with the next-door neighbor?
Mommy! Call Hamden BElmont –Five oh six oh-oh! (Baltimore laundry firm)
Hey Kids! Get off that couch! (for clear vinyl furniture covers)
Libby the kid, that is Billy the Kid spelled sideways, sorta
Today is the day the man from DelMonts comes.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:31 AM
BANNED

Mabel... Black Label
VW commercial.. how the guy plowing the streets got to his job
Cigarettes pushed as soothing and good for your throat.
Dancing(chesterfield?) cigarette packs with Mary Tyler Moores legs
What was Farfel?
Jello commercials that tried to use subliminal advertising
Alcoa aluminum which Alistair Cooke called Al U Min I Um
Old 12-29-2006, 09:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown
As you can see, I remember every detail of it. It was funny as hell and I wish I could see it again.
Hey, we just had a thread on the YouTube link It's the second ad in the clip.

My earliest memory: of course, when the knight on horseback's lance struck, it only changed the brand of laundry soap the woman was holding, but I still remember the inherent menace in the image of a massive, faceless horseman charging down the street, slaughtering middle-age women in housedresses.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:26 AM

lowbrass beat me to Iron Eyes Cody crying over the pollution. That's about the earliest one I can remember. Around the same time was Woodsy Owl with his "Give a hoot! Don't Pollute" message.

A couple from AFRTS (American Forces Radio & Television Service) in Germany stand out:

- A chubby soldier who can barely keep up with the others during PT and pigs out at the mess hall. It finishes up with the warning "A fork can kill -- and WILL kill". No, I'm not making this up.

- The anti-smoking commercial that played It Was A Very Good Year and finished up with a little girl throwing dirt on her daddy's grave.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:28 AM

"I win!"

"Where? I don't see it."

"See, here... diagonally."

"Pretty sneaky, sis!"

Old 12-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Vaccination PSAs from the mid 1960s. They were cartoons with characters various diseases:

Roly Polio: Rolled around in a wheelchair, also carrying a crutch. In one PSA, some kids are playing ball. The ball goes over the fence and into a puddle. Roly Polio is right there, rolling it around with his crutch, presumably infecting the kid.

Locky Lockjaw: Very stiff character with closed eyes and a teeth-baring grimace/grin, arms stiffly carryed behind him.

Dippy Diphtheria and Whoopy Whooping cough. Don't remember them too well, but I belive Dippy flew around infecting kids.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzomax
What was Farfel?
The dog who said "Chaaaw-clat" at the end of "N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestles makes the very best" commercials. Then his mouth would shut with a loud snap.

One of the earliest I remember was for Colgate Dental Cream with Gardol. The "insible protective shield" fascinated me - especially the guy standing in front of the driving range, and the golf ball hit right at him would bounce off the shield. I SO wanted one of those shields for MY mouth, but we used Crest.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45
My favorite from the '50s was for Ipana toothpaste, featuring Bucky Beaver, "Brusha-brusha-brusha. Here's the new Ipana." You can see the commercial in the movie "Grease."
You beat me to the punch with that one, so I'll counter with:
You'll wonder where the yellow went
When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!
I also recall "Speedy" Alka Seltzer (I think he had a dog, but I'm not sure), Peter Pain (the nemesis of Ben Gay), and the "Tension, Pressure, Pain" ad for Anacin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware of Doug
If there's anybody reading this who had a TV before 1948, I would love to hear about it.
We didn't get a television until 1951 or thereabouts, but this thread caused me to have a very clear flashback of being curled up on the floor listening to a detective story (Sherlock Holmes?) on the radio. I imagine it must have been a network broadcast, because the sponsor was a New York City men's store.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Wench
They still air this ancient commercial for a local home improvement business. It was made when they still used words for phone prefixes. I'm tickled pink that they feature it on their website... And yes, I've been singing the jingle since I was a little girl.

Standard!... bum bum bum bum bum... Improvement Comp'ny!
Call WESTPORT-One-Seven-One Hundred!

And get a free silver dollar with your estimate.

I live right down the street from them!

That is one of the earliest I remember too. There was also:

"Midwestern Builders
Will build your home
For the lowest price in town
Call 321-2277
Anytime night or day"

That is permanently burned into my brain, there is no erasing it.

And:

"Here, Dog, C'mon Dog
Me and Dog want you to go to
Dick Smith Ford Tooown
In Raytooown
Get a good deeeal!
Get a dog-GONE good deal!"

These are the commercials that would play ad nauseum in the late afternoon after we got home from school and were watching cartoons. Strangely I don't remember many "national" commercials from that era.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Being originally from the Chicago area, I too remember seeing Empire's commercials. They're nationwide now.

Also, circa 1976: "Everything I think I see/looks like a Tootsie Roll to me!"
Old 12-29-2006, 02:02 PM

Ooooh...anyone who grew up in Central Pennsylvania in the 60s/70s remember the commercials for Sam's Furniture in Phillipsburg. They had these mariachi marionettes and the song ended "at Saaaaaaaaaaam's....Phillipsburg!"
Old 12-29-2006, 02:42 PM

Any old Buffalonians here?
Remember about 1969, when PSAs came on introducing 911 service?
One had a burglar doing a B & E, the other a swimmer being carried ashore?
Those were both my dad. He also produced the spots for a small local production house.
One morning in 1970 he got to the shop and the Feds were waiting to question him - turned out the business had been a money laundering operation.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Ovaltine.

Tom Corbet, space Cadet, mixing up and drinking a cup of this vile brown liquid, and smacking his lips.

<<<<<shiver>>>>>

Also, Andy Divine (as Jingles) actually singing the Kellogg's Sugar Corn Pops jingle.

<<<<<shiver>>>>>

Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy!

Tris
Old 12-29-2006, 02:50 PM

Any old Buffalonians here?
Remember about 1969, when PSAs came on introducing 911 service?
One had a burglar doing a B & E, the other a swimmer being carried ashore?
Those were both my dad. He also produced the spots for a small local production house.
One morning in 1970 he got to the shop and the Feds were waiting to question him - turned out the business had been a money laundering operation.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:58 PM

One I recall circa 1965-7? was a Dial Soap (I think?) commercial where everyone who used the product walked around about 3 feet above the ground.

I was young enough to believe that if I could convince my parents to buy some of that soap I'd be able to walk in the air...so 3-4 years old probably.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:06 PM

Among the earliest TV commercials I remember:

Geritol
Carter's Little Liver Pills
Bufferin (with the animation showing how the B's are absorbed much faster than the A's)
Lava soap with William Bendix. Not sure if it was on his show "The Life of Riley" or elsewhere.

This is a radio ad, but I have to mention it. I heard it in Chicago a zillion times, but I didn't know Thurl Ravenscroft was the "rapper" until I found it after his death. http://members.aol.com/allthurl/ram/zfrank.ram
Old 12-29-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Doug's First TV Spot: Stereotyped Italian guy with big mustache making that pinchy-finger move and yelling, "Mama mia, that'sa somea spicy sauce!" Circa 1969. Product forgotten (perhaps Ragł?)
The spot was for Alka-Seltzer. A man with a thick Italian accent is on the set of a fictional pasta sauce ad and keeps messing up his line ("Mamma mia, that's a speecy..."). He goes through so many takes, he ends up getting heartburn. Two Alka-Seltzers* later, the man finally says "Mamma mia, that's a spicy meatball!"...and then the oven door falls off.

Regarding Alka-Seltzer spots, it should be pointed out that the aforementioned "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" spot was revisited a couple years ago with Doris Roberts and the late Peter Boyle as the couple...except Boyle said "I don't believe I ate the whole thing."

*Sales of Alka-Seltzer went up in the '60s after the manufacturers discovered two of them did a more effective job than just one. Hence the jingle "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is."
Old 12-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown
I vividly remember a Mr. Bubbles ad.

As you can see, I remember every detail of it. It was funny as hell and I wish I could see it again.
Here you go. http://www.tvparty.com/video7/mrbubble.rm
Old 12-29-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo
One I recall circa 1965-7? was a Dial Soap (I think?) commercial where everyone who used the product walked around about 3 feet above the ground.

I was young enough to believe that if I could convince my parents to buy some of that soap I'd be able to walk in the air...so 3-4 years old probably.
I vaguely remember those ads. Didn't it make you wonder what they put in the soap (and if it was legal)?
Old 12-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Mrs. Olson for Mountain Grown Folger's Coffee.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:39 PM

One of my earliest Tv indoctrination memories was of an electric (rechargeable?) toy car, that the kid could ride in. Common now, but not in the 60's. I wanted one, but never got one. It's a good thing I didn't know anything about psychology, or would have been maimed for life. Another classic was the "Like Father, Like Son... think about it.." as the kid finds a pack of dad's ciggies as they are out for a walk in the park.

And who can forget the Indian as he surveys the damage of his beloved Mother Earth that is now New York, and a Single Tear falls down his cheek. (Ad council admonishing us not to litter)
Old 12-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Graphite is a great
Charter Member

Quote:
If there's anybody reading this who had a TV before 1948, I would love to hear about it.
12" Philco, 1947.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:25 PM

I think the "Shot From Guns" line was for Puffed Wheat and Puffed Rice, as opposed to Quaker Oats proper.

The shared medicine cabinet had a line in it that went, "Hey, you're Mona's kid, aren't you?" which I now use on my kids (they're completely baffled by this, and rightly so).

As an old Cleveland kid, I remember a few. An aluminum siding company had a jingle that went, "GARFIELD-1, 2-3-2-3" (which was their phone number).

Our electric company (The Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company) had a really cool instrumental theme (with no words) that I still remember. They also created Cleveland's motto, "The Best Location in the Nation".

And the amazingly cheesy song ad for the local chain that was a little like a 7-Eleven back then, Lawson's, which trucked fresh orange juice back from Florida to sell in their stores:

Roll on, Big O!
Get that juice back to Lawson's in 40 hours!

Now one man sleeps while the other man drives
On that Big-O Lawson's run
And that cold, cold juice
In the tank truck caboose
Stays as fresh as the Florida sun

Roll on, Big O!
Get that juice back to Lawson's in 40 hours!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

All the commercials for kids' products that I was exposed to in the black and white '50s, and which one do I remember most clearly from that era?

20 Mule Team Borax (and Boraxo, the hand cleaner!), the sponsor of Death Valley Days.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:23 PM

The Empire Carpet Guy was the director of the first ads. They couldn't find anybody better, at least who they could afford. He caught on.

Anybody who thinks Ovaltine was disgusting never jogged past their plant while on a 1000cal/day diet. Ambrosia!

The earliest ads I remember were for the tiny butler hawking Kleenex napkins. Thank yous to those who remember older ads.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:54 AM

I recall the Good and Plenty ads, and the Captain Kangaroo ads, and Bob Hope mentioned his advertisers in the monologue, among others.
But the one that sticks in my mind the most was for a west Coast Savings and Loan known as Coast Federal Savings.
Their ads featured a trained rabbit. They had two basic ads. In the first the rabbit dropped a coin into a piggy bank. In the second the rabbit stacked up some blocks to create a arched doorway (4 blocks IIRC) Actually I seem to recall that three of the blocks were in place and the rabbit set the last block into place.
Both ads had a jingle that was set to the music that a jack-in-the-box makes when cranked
Half a million dollars strong*
Coast Federal Savings
These ads ran for almost 20 years.
Here is some info on the rabbit training
In the late 60's or there abouts, Coast Federal built a new headquarters building in downtown LA just a few feet off the Harbor freeway. Out in front of the building is an arched entryway built out of 4 large stones, just like the ads from my childhood. The building and entryway are still there and still visible from the Harbor freeway.

*the amount changed over the years.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:30 AM

Unfortunatly, I am old enough to remember a lot of the commercials already mentioned.

However, as a Caucasian I do remember seeing the first Black people in a television commercial - if I am not mistaken, it was of a black man and woman playing tennis...I have no idea what the product was, but I remember looking at the commercial in awe. One part of my brain was saying, "about time" but another part of my brain was saying, "that is odd."
Old 12-30-2006, 01:48 AM

Hey, I (vaguely) remember that! Same reactions, too.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew
They'd turn blinding white. Er, I mean their clothes would. The people already were. "New Ajax laundry detergent is stronger than dirt!"
This was written by Clive Cussler when he was in the ad business. Cite
Probably the best thing he has ever written.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:11 AM

The first one I remember was for, I think, Johnson's Wax and it featured an old cleaning woman ranting about "yellow wax!". Scared the hell out of me! I must have been well under school age so it was pre-'65.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:45 AM
BANNED

I remember the old Gary Moore Show when they did live commercials. Gary brought out a guy who was a mute. Turns out the guy wrote commercial jingles and had written one for the show's sponsor. With the assistance of cue cards and a Hot Babe Singer, he got the audience singing the new jingle:

Winston tastes good, like a (bom-bom drum sound) cigarette should.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
But the one that sticks in my mind the most was for a west Coast Savings and Loan known as Coast Federal Savings.

Both ads had a jingle that was set to the music that a jack-in-the-box makes when cranked
I.E., "Pop Goes the Weasel." That's one of my earliest memories, too, though I didn't remember that the rabbits were doing tricks--I just remember twitchy-nosed bunnies.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Very oldest is boring and, while I know the "when", not usefully specific as to era: a United States Marines ad, with the "halls of Montezuma" song being sung by men in uniform. Circa 1962-3, when I was 3-4 years old, on some Tallahassee FL TV station.

I remember lots of cigarette ads: "to the sailor, it's the ___ ___ ___, to the ___ ___, it's the ___ ___ ___, to the smoker, it's the Kent."; the "Winston tastes good like a _!!!, !!!_ cigarette should" ad; the Camels ad with the guy showing the holes in his shoe soles after walking a mile for a Camel;

Remember a lot of doll ads for girls: "Baby crawl-a-long, baby crawl-a-long, look she crawls right across the floor" / "Little Kiddles" / "Malibu Barbie and her suntanned friends" / "Lucky Locket Kiddles" / "Flatsies, Flatsies, they are flat and that is that"...

Gizmos and other stuff: "Kenner's See The Show Projector" / "Creepy Crawlers, Creepy Crawlers" <in a whisper> / "Meet the Swinger, Polaroid Swinger...take the shot, yeah yeah, blah blah blah, yeah yeah, then take off!" / "Be a Betty Crocker baker bake your very own cake in your Betty Crocker Eazy-Bake oven!"

Food ads: "N. E. S. T. L. E. S., Nestle's makes the very best.....chooooh klaaat" / "Oh I wish I were an Oscar Meyer weiner, that is what I'd really like to be eee eee, cuz if I were an Oscar Meyer weiner, everyone would be in love with me" / "Taste that beats the others cold, Pepsi pours it on" / "Tall up! For the tall tall taste of Kelloggs golden flakes! It's corn that you can really crunch, corn that really packs the punch, tall American tall American Kellogg's corn flakes!"

Hmm, now I more clearly remember why I quit watching TV... stupid commercial earworms...
Old 12-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

The earliest one I can remember was Ronald McDonald riding around in his giant Flying Hamburger. That would have been mid 60s I believe.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Quote:
12" Philco, 1947.
So let's hear about it already! Where were you? What was on? Was anything on? Did swarms of neighbors invade the living room every night, or was it so early nobody much gave a damn?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:11 PM

<realizing I've committed a putative hijack>

Oh, and, uh...what passed for commercials? Were there any?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:31 PM

I remember watching an "I Like Ike" tv spot during the 1952 presidential campaign. One of my parents came in and turned off the set, because they were Democrats.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:23 PM

Probably the "how many licks" Tootsie Pop ad, since it's been running forever (I first saw it in the mid 80's.)

Though another one I remember very well is a commercial for Zelda II: The Adventure of Link for the NES. It had a guy dressed as Link running around a castle, and the very end her jumped down in a hole in the floor while shouting "Zellllllldaaaaaaa!"
Old 12-31-2006, 01:11 AM

Oh, I remembered an earlier one. It featured Col. Sanders singing:

"Kentucky Fried Chicken
Kentucky Fried Chicken
If you want Kentucky Fried Chicken
you'll have to visit me"

According to Wikipedia it was from 1969.

I remember having a good laugh when the tape got messed up one day and it came out:

"If you want Kentucky Fried Chicken me."
Old 12-31-2006, 02:08 PM

The Empire Carpets guy! For some reason I was thinking he had some association with Pittsburgh Paints, but I'm not sure how I made that connection. It is Empire Carpets though. The old guy with the mustache and glasses. I only lived in Chicago until I was 5, and don't have the commercials where I am now. The last I saw of him was in a commercial when someone is changing the channel in the first Wayne's World movie. Good stuff!