Old 12-31-2006, 04:13 PM

"L.S.M.F.T." -- Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco

Which in grade school rapidly morphed into

"Loose Straps Mean Flopping Titties."

Old 12-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

In California it was the Wednesday Night Fights, sponsored by Gillette razors. Theme music:
"To look sharp, and be on the ball, to feel sharp (I forget) for the quickest slickest shave of all"
Also, anyone remember the "Six forty twelve forty conolrad" civil defense ads?
One was suposed to tune their radio to these stations for emergency (A-bomb) attacks.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Joe E. Lewis (?) in a Three Musketeers commercial. It was on during Fireball XL-5.

Or Cracker-Jacks -

"It's gotta be sweet,
And it's gotta be a lot,
And you only gotta diiiiiime...

Whaddya get?

Lip-smacking, candy-whacking, killagowhacking, Cracker-Jacks!"

I realize the last is probably wrong, but that's what I remember.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 12-31-2006, 05:11 PM

Oh, and don't forget the Timex commercials. Timex watches getting abused in various ways with the final tag line:

"Timex -- takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!"

Archergal
still wears a Timex watch
Old 01-01-2007, 12:55 AM
BANNED

Edsel commercials. Groucho singing for Desoto.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan
Lip-smacking, candy-whacking, killagowhacking, Cracker-Jacks!"[/i]

I realize the last is probably wrong, but that's what I remember.
I finally gave up on figuring it out, but somebody on the net undoubtedly has an inaccurate transcription.

Doodles Weaver did those, didn't he? Brother of NBC boss Pat and uncle of the lovely, if not that shapely (kids were watching Spaceballs tonight and I pointed out the overwhelmingly shapely woman who was her (uncredited but obvious to any heterosexual male with eyes) body double in Ghostbusters, that being the first movie she shared with Rick Moranis) Sigourney.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:48 AM

Oh, FTR, her name is Leslie Bevis.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archergal
Oh, and don't forget the Timex commercials. Timex watches getting abused in various ways with the final tag line:

"Timex -- takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!"

Archergal
still wears a Timex watch
That would be John Cameron Swayze
Old 01-01-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
That would be John Cameron Swayze
Thanks! I totally failed to remember his name. He did those commercials for ages.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

"Once upon a time there was an engineer,
Choo Choo Charlie was his name, we hear.
He had an engine and he sure had fun.
He used Good & Plenty candy to make his train run.
Charlie says "Love my Good & Plenty!" Charlie says "Really rings my bell!"
Charlie says "Love my Good & Plenty!" Don't know any other candy that I love so well!"
Old 01-01-2007, 09:54 AM

Milky the Clown for Twin Pines Dairy in Detroit, MI 1950's. Phone number TExas 4- 1100 pronounced as "four eleven hundred".
Also the Faygo Old Fashioned Root Beer commericials with Black Bart attacking the fair damsle in the stagecoach but being saved by the Faygo Kid who claimed "Black Bart, Yooooouuu are thruuuuuu!"
Also for Faygo the little shrivled cartoon guy blowing bottles which become increasingly misshapen until the poor bottle blower claims to be "to pooped to participate" until he has a swig of faygo pop whereupon he is ready to blow again....Also early 1950's. The line "to pooped to participate" became quite popular.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANmom
Milky the Clown for Twin Pines Dairy in Detroit, MI 1950's. Phone number TExas 4- 1100 pronounced as "four eleven hundred".
Also the Faygo Old Fashioned Root Beer commericials with Black Bart attacking the fair damsle in the stagecoach but being saved by the Faygo Kid who claimed "Black Bart, Yooooouuu are thruuuuuu!"
Also for Faygo the little shrivled cartoon guy blowing bottles which become increasingly misshapen until the poor bottle blower claims to be "to pooped to participate" until he has a swig of faygo pop whereupon he is ready to blow again....Also early 1950's. The line "to pooped to participate" became quite popular.
Sorry i know it should be TOO pooped....
Old 01-01-2007, 12:37 PM

The earliest TV ad I can recall is the original commercial for Nintendo's Super Mario Bros. 3 video game. I can't describe the ad any better than David Sheff did in his book Game Over:

Quote:
[The ad] showed no game footage at all, but simply thousands of kids chanting passionately, "Mar-i-o, Mar-i-o, Mar-i-o..." The camera pulled back and...we see Mario's face in place of what should have been the North American continent.
Incidentially, this commercial also taught me how the famous plumber pronounces his own name (or how he would if he was a real person)- up to that point, I had pronounced "Mario" so that it rhymed with "stereo."
Old 12-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Anyone here who lived in Houston in the '60s-'70s?

"Bill McDavid, exit seven-Gulf! Free! Way!"

(Of course, I remember the jingle because I used to sing it every time that we drove past Bill McDavid Pontiac, just to drive my big sister crazy.)
Old 12-27-2007, 10:56 PM

There are three that I remember and I don't know which one is the earliest.

First was Rub-A-Dub Dolly, the first vinyl doll that you could bathe without ruining. I can still hear the first part of that jingle: "Rub-a-dub Dolly/ soft, pretty dolly". The linked ad is older than the ones I remember, but it's the only one on YouTube.

Second is the Chiffon "It's Not Nice to Fool Mother Nature" commercials.

Third is one for a (not very) local furniture store called Sam's. It had three mariachi marionettes "playing" the jingle, which ended with "at Saaaaaaaaaaaaam's. Phillipsburg!"
Old 12-28-2007, 01:16 AM

I remember the commercial (for Right Guard maybe) where someone would open his medicine cabinet and there would be someon on the other side of the wall next door, looking through the medicine cabinet. He would start every commercial with "Hi Guy!"

I also have a very early memory of a commercial for a beer (maybe Schlitz ML) where a guy in a suit would be calmly pouring a beer while a catastrophe happened around him. The commercial was accompanied by someone whistling the jingle. I remember one where the front of a house fell on him, but he was sitting so an open window saved him and the whole time he just calmly poured his beer.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro
Husband sitting on the edge of the bed: "I can't believe I ate the whooooooole thing..."
Wife: "You ate it, Frank."
I don't remember what it was for... Rolaids, Pepto Bismol?
<snip>
It was for Alka-Seltzer, but the guy's name in the commercial was Ralph.

"You ate it, Ralph. No, Ralph, I ate it."

Although Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts appeared in a remake of the ad in character as Frank and Marie Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond.

One of the earliest commercials I remember was for a remote controlled robot called The Great Garloo. I was overjoyed to get one that Christmas.

I also remember commercials for a cereal called Maypo with a hyperactive kid named Marky screaming "I WANT MY MAYPO!"
Old 12-28-2007, 06:45 AM

I remember one from when I was a little kid in the 80's, probably 5 or 6

I still find myself singing it for some reason.

Tasmanian carpet cleaning, a top job every time;
Tasmanian carpet cleaning, 236689!

I just looked it up, same phone number! although now its got an extra 2 digits tacked on like all aussie numbers.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:53 AM

HUDSON THREE TWO SEVEN HUNDRED..... Darned if I even remember what it was- a furniture store or something.

John Cameron Swazee and those ridiculous Timex ads.

The Bufferin commercial showing those little "B"s getting into your bloodstream so much faster than those little "A"s.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem
HUDSON THREE TWO SEVEN HUNDRED..... Darned if I even remember what it was- a furniture store or something.
According to Google, it was (and is) Boushelle Carpet.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay
According to Google, it was (and is) Boushelle Carpet.
Ah, yes. Must have been a Chicago thing. Growing up in western Michigan, we got Chicago TV if the weather was right.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem
Ah, yes. Must have been a Chicago thing. Growing up in western Michigan, we got Chicago TV if the weather was right.
We got WGN from Chicago and WPIX and WOR from the NYC area on our cable growing up, so I get both area's local shows and commercials stuck in my head.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:29 AM

Lucky you! I grew up pre-cable. Three channels, sometimes four or five depending on weather.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:37 AM

A couple ancient Anacin (Excedrin?) ads come to mind, one showing a cutaway of someone's skull with little hammers pounding, and another where the headache victim had just bawled out a family member and the Voice of Conscience was telling him "Sure, you're tired, irritable, headachy (constipated, throwing up furballs, psychopathic) - but don't take it out on her - take Anacin (or Excedrin)".

Multiple cigarette ads including "Show Us Your Lark Pack!".

"Chock Full O'Nuts is the heaven-ly cof-fee
Better coffee (than) a millionaire's money can{'t) buy
"

Related thread on really obscure ads.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 12-28-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28
I also have a very early memory of a commercial for a beer (maybe Schlitz ML) where a guy in a suit would be calmly pouring a beer while a catastrophe happened around him. The commercial was accompanied by someone whistling the jingle. I remember one where the front of a house fell on him, but he was sitting so an open window saved him and the whole time he just calmly poured his beer.
That would be Colt45 Malt Liquor, actually.

There was always this kind of ambling theme music punctuated with things breaking or things falling on people all around him while the unconcerned Colt45 drinker ignores them and nothing happens to him.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

YouTube of a typical Colt45 ad with such content and ambling theme music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeUZPeLHak0

Last edited by AHunter3; 12-28-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane
I also remember commercials for a cereal called Maypo with a hyperactive kid named Marky screaming "I WANT MY MAYPO!"
I wasn't around when they aired the original Maypo commercials with Marky but I do remember they brought back the "I WANT MY MAYPO" ad campaign sometime around 1969. Except instead of an annoying cartoon five-year old kid they had professional athletes whining about wanting their Maypo. I can't remember who the athletes were since I was too young to follow sports at the time but I seem to recall there were some players from the NFL. Maybe some Dopers out there remembers who it was.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:25 PM

I remember almost all of the examples posted...

I will always remember Smokey the Bear. Remember - only YOU can prevent forest fires
Old 12-30-2007, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

An old Nestles commercial, black and white, with a puppet dog named Farfel(sp?)

N E S T L E S, Nestle's makes the very best, choooooooc -late!" On that last syllable the dog's jaws snapped shut with a definite whap.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 AM

Can someone help me find mine? It's the mid-90s, and I'm 2 years old at my Grandma's house when I see this guy in a big city. Spy music plays, and apparently the guy either stole Domino's Pizza or is trying to find the people who stole it. A line of dialogue I remember is "You can run, but you can't hide!" Details are sketchy because I was very young at the time.

Last edited by Captain Socks; 12-30-2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:51 AM

Connecticut Dopers, errr geezers

The Dairy Producers did public service commercials teaching little kids how to spell the state name. It's still the way I use:

C-O-NN-E-C-T PAUSE I-C-U-T FRESH MILK

I think they sponsored the "Ranger Andy" show. I was on once with my Cub Scout Den.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:39 AM

omgosh, I forgot about the Samsonite(?) luggage commercials! I distinctly recall the gorilla jumping on them.

And the Budweiser holiday commercials with the horses - loved them!
Old 12-30-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelDax
Also, do any other mid-Atlantic dopers remember Gino's and its "Everybody goes to Gino's 'cause Gino's is the place to go" commercials?

Yep! Gino Marchetti's places... he was a defensive end for the BALTIMORE
Old 12-30-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilent
Yep! Gino Marchetti's places... he was a defensive end for the BALTIMORE
And to continue (I was unable to edit!

BALTIMORE Colts.

Some other comercials:

Armstrong Tires Grrrrip the Road!
Everything's better with Blue Bonnet on it!
Nothing does it like 7Up!
Arrow77 Beer
Gunther Beer
Old 12-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Wow, a twice-resurrected zombie thread.

I remember lots of these, including Gino's.

It's somewhat reassuring to see how many other Dopers are at least my age or older.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mudd
The earliest that I can bring to mind would probably the Weebles commercial that used to play endlessly during the cartoon shows. 1973, '74. 'Round there. "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!" I was very excited by the circus cannon.
This might be it for me as well, given I recall singing the jingle around age 4 after being given some for a Christmas present. Another very early one for me is the lite-brite commerical "Lite Brite/Making things with light..." And I have a vague memory of a commerical for some Star Wars toy. It had to be the second movie, because I was only a few weeks old when the first one was released, and by the time the third came out when I was six I was already sick of the franchise being as my best friends (two brothers) were completely obsessed with the movies.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink
I definitely remember that one! And ever since I've worried about that couple. Did the marriage survive the financial ruin that came from the wife driving away all of her husband's customers?

Not to worry, grasshopper. Husband take care of it.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:46 PM

Oldest TV commercial that I can remember is the old Clairol Herbal Essences shampoo commercial. I miss that stuff!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:06 AM

Cartoon doctor is listening to a man's chest through a stethoscope.
"Had it long?"
"Oh, a looooonggg time!'
"You probably need a new one".
He gives the man a prescription, which the man reads, with pleasure. and says,"It's a FFFOOOOOOORRRDDD!"

Also, remember the World Series telecasts with Mel Allen and the ads for Gillette razors?
"Look sharp! (clang!) with Gilette Blue Blades! And feel sharp! (clang!) with Gillette Blue Blades, and then...something, something, and my memory fails me again.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3
"Meet the Swinger, Polaroid Swinger...take the shot, yeah yeah, blah blah blah, yeah yeah, then take off!"
Meet the Swinger,
Polaroid Swinger,
It's more than a camera,
It's almost alive,
It's only nineteen dollars, and ninety-five.

Swing it up!
It says Yes!
Take the shot,
Count it down,
Zip it off!

The neurons I waste with this stuff, when I can't remember where I parked my car...

Regards,
Shodan

PS - Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

This thread will never die because there's an unlimited number of long-forgotten TV commercials waiting to surface within my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. U. Shakespeare
I would like to second the claim that it was for Alka-Seltzer -- they had a similar hit a year or two earlier with an equally annoying guy (Jack Aaron, IIRC) recounting how he'd overeaten the night before: numerous people had exhorted him to eat something by urging, "Try it, you'll like it".

BTW, the name of the husband (played by Milt Moss) in "the whole thing" commercial was Ralph, not Frank.
I remember a third Alka-Seltzer commercial from that era. Family is home to grandma's for the holidays and grandma likes to cook LOTSA food. Grandchild: Daddy, I'm not hungry. Dad: You're hungry, you're hungry! ::people start sitting down:: Grandma: Gerald, would you bring out the first turkey?

("Would you bring out the first turkey" was a wry phrase muchly utilized in my family, which had many such grandmas and aunties)

AND... since someone mentioned Smokey the Bear?:

Smokey the Bear, Smokey the Bear
<something> and-a <something> and-a sniffin' the air
He can smell a fire before it starts to flame
Dunno why they call him Smokey but I'm sure he deserves the name

AND, in a similar vein, from the YMCA long before Village People:

If you like the water
Then you really 'otter'
Learn how to swim at the YMCA
Learn how to swim at the Y

AND, memorable mostly because they ran this PSA for an extended period in Valdosta GA, causing my Dad to ask just what they meant in November by "this summer":

Kids, kids, kids want work this summer
Something something something something
Let them do the unwanted! Let them do the unneeded!
Mister employer! Mister employer! It all depends on you!

AND another PSA, this one on the evils of drug abuse:

I knew a man named Joh---hhhn, He let his deal go dow---wwwn,
He ended up laying in bed, oldied and dead, try living with it instead
Cause dope can't get it together, you gotta get it together your sel---lllf,
Dope can't get it together, gotta get it together yourself.

I'll probably be back [/Arnie]

Last edited by AHunter3; 01-01-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: unsmiling inadvertent smilies
Old 01-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3
AND... since someone mentioned Smokey the Bear?:

<something> and-a <something> and-a sniffin' the air
He can smell a fire before it starts to flame
Dunno why they call him Smokey but I'm sure he deserves the name
If memory serves (and it's been decades!), it's "prowlin' and a-growlin'":

A-prowlin' and a-growlin' and a-sniffin' at the air
He can find a fire before it starts to flame
That's why they call him Smokey, that's how he got his name.

Last edited by Thudlow Boink; 01-01-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, that sounds right.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:49 PM

As long as we're going with PSAs/ads for non-profits how about:

o/`I'm really glad they made/The Children's Aid/Society! o/`
Old 08-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
I remember a white knight racing down a residential street and he'd touch someone with his lance and something would happen to them, maybe they'd become brighter? I'm thinking it was in B&W and was for Ajax bleach but it was sooooo long ago.
Yup, there were several. Here's a YouTube for one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrqf8mODVzQ
Old 08-12-2019, 01:53 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

"Adee Do!"

It was an L.A.-area commercial for a plumbing company. My mom told me I used to run around saying "Adee Do!" when I was a little kid.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:20 PM

From the SF area:

Move me with Smyth, the smoother movers.
Smyth ("smeyeth"), not Smith, the smoother movers.
Put me in a padded van and I'll be a happy man.
Always a winner, never a loser.
Move me with Smyth, the smoother movers.
Smyth, not Smith, the smoother movers.
No matter where they move me, they'll handle me so smoothly.
So move me with Smyth, the smoother movers.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:33 PM

The girl inside the dancing cigarette box was almost certainly Mary Tyler Moore. It was one of her first gigs and probably got her the role of "'Legs', the switchboard operator" on the Richard Diamond detective series.

Edie Adams not only sang the Muriel cigars jingle, she did a little dance in sexy garb.

Sung to the tune of "Sweet Charity":

The minute you walked in the joint, I could see you were a man of distinction, a real big spender.
Good lookin', so refined! I figured that you're the Muriel cigar smokin' kind!
So lemme get right to the point: You're right in style when you're in Muriel's company.
Hey, big spender! (Hey, big spender!) Spend a little dime with me!

The earliest commercials I remember are probably

"Treflan, from ELANCO! (Dadadadada! Dadadadada!),"

"The BARDAHL Cop,"

Roy Rogers and Dale Evans plugging Hershey's syrup on their Saturday morning TV show,

George and Marian Kirby plugging cigarettes on Topper.

Last edited by terentii; 08-12-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:41 PM

Some zombie threads are fun.

"Certs!! Two, two, two mints in one!!"

This is the first commercial I can remember, though I remember many of the others already mentioned. Scarred for life.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:49 PM

Since this tread is active again and I wasn't around when it started: I was really into cars when I was a kid, so I totally remember Ford's "Taurus for Us" jingle. I would assume the new '86 Taurus was in Ford dealerships by late 1985, so they probably ran this ad in 1985, meaning I was five years old when it first aired.

"Tauuuuuurus for us!"

The young people today don't realize how futuristic that car looked back then.