Old 08-12-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Some zombie threads are fun.

"Certs!! Two, two, two mints in one!!"

This is the first commercial I can remember, though I remember many of the others already mentioned. Scarred for life.
"Double your pleasure, double your fun,
with Doublemint, Doublemint, Doublemint gum!"

"You'll wonder where the yellow went
when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent"

"Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya.
Brylcreem, you'll look so debonair!
Brylcreem, the gals will all pursue ya.
They'll love to run their fingers through your hair!"

"Floating heads, floating heads, floating all the way!
Norelco is the perfect gift to give on Christmas day!"

The 1959/1960 Dutch Masters commercial with the Dutch Masters sitting around the table. I can't remember the jingle, but I do remember as a four/five-year-old being thoroughly creeped out by those old-timey dudes with the beards and the big hats.

Last edited by Chronos; 08-12-2019 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 08-12-2019, 03:08 PM

Trix Cereal - Silly Rabbit Trix are for kids.

Oh Trix, with Raspberry red, Orange Orange, Lemon Yellow

The Trix commercials began before I was born. I remember seeing them before Kindergarten.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-12-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:09 PM

Etched into my mind from the late 60's. I don't recall if it was TV or radio. But I will never forget...

Eugene Locke should be governor of Texas/The governor of Texas should be Eugene Locke.

Apparently he came in 4th place in the Dem primary, so he really should have been forgotten.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:41 PM

I remember Wonder Bread commercials on the Howdy Doody Show circa early 50's. "Wonder Bread helps build strong bodies eight ways". Sometime in the later fifties, they upped it to twelve ways. Google Howdy Doody Wonder Bread.

When I lived in Boston about the same time, Adams and Swett ran the following commercial about their rug-cleaning business:
"How many cookies did Andrew eat? Andrew ate eight thousand. How do you keep your carpets neat, call ANdrew 8-8000". They now list their phone number as 617-268-8000
Old 08-12-2019, 07:29 PM

tide WAS
Old 08-12-2019, 07:46 PM

I remember TV shows with the voice-over announcer.

"This TV Show is brought to you by...."

I remember asking my mother what the word "ISBROUGHTTOYOUBY" means
Old 08-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Growing up in a suburb of Chicago, I was inundated by local commercials for Empire Carpets. I'll never -- as long as I live -- forget their friggin' telephone number. That "five eight eight, two three hundred, empiiiire" tagline carved out possibly the deepest groove in my brain.

Imagine my shock to now see commercials for Empire Carpet here in New England! It's 20 years later, and the same guy (owner of the company, I think) was doing the exact same pitch, but looking much older. (And they've added hardwood flooring.) He was quickly removed and replaced with a small, Toy Story-esque animation of him.

And that damned phone number jingle is all but unchanged:

"eight hun-dred five eight eight, two three hundred, empiiiire"
I did a double-take to see if I had posted this back in 2005, because I had the exact same experience. I went to high school back in the 1980s in a Chicago suburb, and later moved to New England. I've now been listening to that jingle for over 35 years.

Apparently the spokesman, Elmer Lynn Hauldren, died back in 2011 at the age of 89.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
I remember TV shows with the voice-over announcer.

"This TV Show is brought to you by...."

I remember asking my mother what the word "ISBROUGHTTOYOUBY" means
The Saturday morning cartoons on one of the major networks used to have bumps before the commercial breaks saying "After these messages, we'll be right back."

I don't actually remember this, but my parents tell me I used to call the commercial breaks in any TV show "Afterthesemessages time".
Old 08-12-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mudd View Post
The earliest that I can bring to mind would probably the Weebles commercial that used to play endlessly during the cartoon shows. 1973, '74. 'Round there. "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!" I was very excited by the circus cannon.
I clearly remember the Weebles commercials, but an even earlier one for me is the classic 1971 Coca-Cola commercial ("I’d Like to Buy the World a Coke").

Last edited by robby; 08-12-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
I clearly remember the Weebles commercials, but an even earlier one for me is the classic 1971 Coca-Cola commercial ("I’d Like to Buy the World a Coke").
I was born in 1971, and can't recall the first commercial I can recall; too many opportunities. I remember both the Weebles (they wobble, and don't fall down!) and Coke (cool music), but also "this is Agrinews," which, strictly speaking, wasn't a commercial but an announcement that southwest Ontario agricultural news would next be presented. Note that I lived in a Southeast Michigan town and wasn't particularly interested in agricultural news from any state or provence.

Maybe a runner up is the crying Indian. And maybe the black dude throwing a bottle of Coke at some kid. Or was it a towel, 'cos the kid gave the black football dude a Coke?

Or more likely, it was a commercial urging me to watch Hong Kong Fuey or some other tripe.

God, it's hard to reconcile my awesome childhood with my sucky childhood! Help me not judge my daughter's poor taste!
Old 08-12-2019, 08:31 PM

Mine were back in the 1950's, some have been mentioned already ("Hey Mabel, Black Label" and "You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush you teeth with Pepsodent")

There was also the hair product Brylcreem, where "A little dab will do ya"

And the twins for Doublemint Gum "Double your pleasure, double your fun"

And one a bit newer that's stuck with me for all these years, the 1970's Uniroyal 'Tiger Paws' commercial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBOS_AS08Bc

And this old Firestone commercial: "Where the rubber meets the road" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HDGrrF92Qo
Old 08-12-2019, 08:43 PM

I remember the Gillette Cavalcade of Sports (aka the Friday Night Fights) but I only vaguely remember some of the Gillette commercials.

One TV commercial from local TV I do remember from the 50's, my sister and I used to sing the jingle all the time, was for a local company called Grandma's Cookies (not affiliated with the national brand of the same name). Perhaps we paid special attention because my mother worked for that company.

Finally, I remember an animated commercial for Kraft Cottage Cheese. It featured, I believe, a duck, next to a countdown clock, who started out saying "I have six seconds to sing!" The song was: "Buy Kraft Cottage Cheese, You'll love it love it, buy Kraft (screech while pushing back the second hand) Cottage Cheese!" What it lacked in charm it made up for in brevity.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:57 PM

Mine would be this rather insane Red Rose Tea commercial from the late '50s that seemed to show up a lot during Saturday morning cartoons. Had no idea that kids were such tea drinkers.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 08-12-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:04 PM

Somebody mentioned Henson's muppets being in commercials in the sixties. In East Tennessee they advertised Kerns Bread. One would say, "everybody likes Kerns Bre-ad!" The other, who looked sort of like a proto-Bert, would say, "not everybody." Either he would be stomped by a foot or snatched away by a hand, followed by "now everybody likes Kerns Bre-ad." Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nzA6KXaT7I
Old 08-12-2019, 10:12 PM

I loved the Tiger Paws, too.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:46 PM

I remember this one for the Mystery Date board game from the 60s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XHsQpTbQ9Uo
Old 08-13-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
...Maybe a runner up is the crying Indian.
Good one. I meant to mention that commercial as well, but it escaped my mind before I finished my last post. Apparently it also dates from 1971. I was just three years old at the time, but it ran for some time after it was released (along with the Coke commercial).

(Despite the criticism in the linked article, I wish that there would be more of renewed push for anti-littering campaigns. In recent years I've noticed fewer anti-litter campaigns, and more and more litter.)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:03 AM

I'd have to go with Josephine the Plumber for Comet cleaning powder, mid 60s. How shocked I was when they replaced it with NEW Comet! Josephine was a definite precursor for Flo from Progressive Insurance.

Also, Mrs. Olson for Folger's Coffee. WWII was still recent enough to make people wonder if she was maybe a war criminal on the lam...
Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
N E S T L E S , Nestles makes the very best, choooooooc-lit!
This is probably the oldest I remember.

Although, I do remember an ad for, what, Yoo Hoo soda, with an animated Yogi Berra climbing to the top of the outfield wall - or maybe the Yoo Hoo billboard. At five or six years old, and not a baseball fan, I remember being confused about Yogi not being an animated bear.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:27 AM

I don't know if this was the oldest, but it was certainly the most ubiquitous for anybody in the metro Detroit area.

Roy O'Brien Ford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTZDJS65V-o

(Video is just the jingle, not the actual advert.)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:34 AM

This Quake Cereal ad is the very first commercial I have a specific recollection of seeing. I would have been around 5 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umTlTDGsqPo

Although, it's possible I saw the Norelco Shaver Santa ad earlier

Last edited by Cardigan; 08-13-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

I was having a hard time coming up with an answer to this question, and then I realized why. When my sister and I were little kids, we thought that TV consisted entirely of PBS, because (thanks to subtle but effective guidance from Mom) we never watched anything else. The only exposure I had to other channels as a kid was that the babysitter's husband watched Indians games on channel 43 (at the time, an unaffiliated station). And the only commercial I remember from that (probably from frequent repetition) is the station's own plug, a little jingle that said "Channel 43 plays favorites".

So I guess that station-ID jingle is the oldest commercial I remember.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I remember lots of old commercials but I have no idea which is the earliest. I remember several that have been mentioned above, including "ancient Chinese secret", "Hey Mikey", "My balogna has a first name", "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" and the crying Indian PSA.

One I didn't see mentioned is the animated Scrubbing Bubbles ad. I couldn't have been more than five years old which would put it at 1974-75 at the latest, but probably earlier. I thought the scrubbing bubbles were cute and was always sad when they went down the drain.

Another is the series of PSAs featuring Woodsy Owl ("Give a hoot, don't pollute."). Apparently they started airing in 1971.

Also there was a series of Ty D Bol commercial featuring a miniature man in a miniature boat floating in a toilet tank. That kind of imagery tends to stick with you, even if you don't want it to. Here's one version from 1971 but I'm not sure that's the one I remember.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Another early one I remember is the Dow Bathroom Cleaner ad with the animated "scrubbing bubbles". A bunch of anthropomorphized animated bubbles would come out of the bottle and clean the bathroom in the ad leaving it sparkling. I wanted my mom to buy that brand of cleaner, because I thought the bubbles would literally come out of the bottle and clean the bathroom just like in the ad.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:42 PM

I'd like to buy the world a coke, 1971. The year I was born.

There are a number of ones I remember from that time, but that's the earliest one that came out chronologically.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
Also, Mrs. Olson for Folger's Coffee. WWII was still recent enough to make people wonder if she was maybe a war criminal on the lam...
Virginia Christine. This may have something to do with her being Spencer Tracey's German housekeeper in Judgment at Nuremburg.

I liked her best as Eva "the Immigrant" in Billy the Kid vs Dracula.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:32 PM

As a kid, my mom would call me “messy Marvin” for being klutzy; I recall it coming from an ad. Google tells me it’s a reference to a pitch for Hershey’s chocolate syrup from around 1980, when I was a toddler.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Tl48HTlLQ
Old 08-13-2019, 09:55 PM

Even though I didn't grow up in Omaha, my local TV stations did this periodically, and the tone hurt my ears and frightened me. I would usually hide behind the living room drapes when it came on (yes, I was that young).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf5W...2Rtob&index=40
Old 08-14-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Probably the commercials for wrestling events at St. Louis' Kiel Auditorium, which we saw when my brothers and I watched wrestling on KPLR.