Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 PM
TreacherousCretin's Avatar
TreacherousCretin is offline
Horrified Onlooker
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Posts: 5,580
Well, we've all seen the "woman from the audience" video, a wonderfully generous and warm Paul Simon episode.

Nevertheless, he's carried a bad reputation for a very long time.


.
Edit: has anyone mentioned Chuck Berry yet?

Last edited by TreacherousCretin; 06-17-2011 at 04:50 PM.
  #52  
Old 06-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Biffy the Elephant Shrew is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Over on the left
Posts: 13,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Edit: has anyone mentioned Chuck Berry yet?
Oh, good one. And if there's anyone I would have expected from his music to be a cheerful and charming guy...!
  #53  
Old 06-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Elmer J. Fudd is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,306
John Bonham's visits to LA in the early 70s were the closest thing to terrorism that the rock scene there had seen since Charles Manson. A bully and rapist by many accounts; you can't read a history of the LA rock scene without coming upon one or more "Bonzo the Terrible" stories.
__________________
Elmer J. Fudd,
Millionaire.
I own a mansion and a yacht.
  #54  
Old 06-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
Alex and Eddie Van Halen

As I have heard it, Eddie was only an asshole when drunk. When he was sober he was a good guy.

I have heard that drunk or sober, Michael Anthony was a good guy.
  #55  
Old 06-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Lamia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 13,350
Van Morrison was mentioned by the OP, and a coworker of mine saw him live a couple of years ago and said he was such a jerk it changed how she felt about him as an artist. She didn't meet him or anything, she said he was just being a huge jerk on stage and kept stopping to yell at the band or complain about things. She said at one point he halted the show to insist that the backup singers be moved to a different part of the stage, for no apparent reason.
  #56  
Old 06-17-2011, 08:36 PM
typoink is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,768
I'm surprised I'm the first to mention Morrissey. He's got a grating, gripey, smug, pretentious thing going, and the term "unpleasant" always seems to apply. Not "bad" or "stupid" or "evil"...just "unpleasant."
  #57  
Old 06-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,199
I can't believe nobody men... never mind.

How about Ike Turner and Phil Spector? Their records speak for themselves.
  #58  
Old 06-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Finagle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere near Boston
Posts: 9,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Jackson Browne. Any man who beats a woman so bad she ends up in the hospital is one I would consider very unpleasant.
This one kind of surprised me, so I did some Googling. There doesn't seem to be any hard evidence that Jackson Browne beat Darryl Hannah, and some reasonably convincing arguments that he didn't, at least on the occasion that the police were called. (The tl;dr version of the argument is that LA has a zero tolerance policy towards domestic abuse from which celebrities are not exempt, and JB was never charged or even investigated.)

Do you have any proof that this really took place, or is this just one of those things that "everyone knows"?
  #59  
Old 06-18-2011, 04:31 PM
TreacherousCretin's Avatar
TreacherousCretin is offline
Horrified Onlooker
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Posts: 5,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
This one kind of surprised me, so I did some Googling. There doesn't seem to be any hard evidence that Jackson Browne beat Darryl Hannah, and some reasonably convincing arguments that he didn't, at least on the occasion that the police were called. (The tl;dr version of the argument is that LA has a zero tolerance policy towards domestic abuse from which celebrities are not exempt, and JB was never charged or even investigated.)

Do you have any proof that this really took place, or is this just one of those things that "everyone knows"?
A friend of mine frequents a message board for acoustic guitarists. Some time ago, a few people started harping about Jackson having beaten Darryl, and none other than David Lindley himself came aboard to rather angrily debunk the stories.

As I remember what my friend told me, one of Lindley's points was that Browne is not a physically unimposing person, while Ms. Hannah was at that time in superb athletic shape and well-trained in martial arts. Had Browne ever thrown a punch at her, "she would have kicked his ass."

Or so my friend said David said.

Disclosure: I'm a huge fan of Lindley's but I have no interest whatever in Jackson Browne's music or personal life.

.
  #60  
Old 06-18-2011, 04:36 PM
TreacherousCretin's Avatar
TreacherousCretin is offline
Horrified Onlooker
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Posts: 5,580
Another one:
Although I have enormous respect for what he did musically, I would never have wanted to be in a room with Frank Zappa. Arrogant and egotistical beyond all compute.

.
  #61  
Old 06-18-2011, 04:52 PM
gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,247
Robert Crumb illustrated a story a female friend had related about meeting Boz Skaggs while out drinking. She told him, "I don't want to both you, but I just wanted to say I really love your music" to while he replied "I hope you have a nice death." The friend said she cried for hours.
  #62  
Old 06-18-2011, 04:58 PM
gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
Seriously, who are some pleasant Rock Star types?
Kate Bush is an evasive interviewee about subjects she doesn't wish to discuss, but she is genuinely sweet in person. And this give me an opportunity to mention the time she called to thank me and compliment me on the music video I made to one of her songs.
  #63  
Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 PM
An Arky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,333
There's a saying of sorts - "Good guys, bad band, bad guys, good band" which seems to often prove true.

I have to say, though that there's likely some contributing factors to this. Creative people tend to be moody, bands tend to be worn out from travel, lack of sleep, substance abuse, income levels not matching fame levels, etc., and probably just get to an unhappy and unpleasant place due to all of that. Having random people come up to them and saying stupid shit is probably an old, unfunny joke.
  #64  
Old 06-18-2011, 05:29 PM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Arky View Post
There's a saying of sorts - "Good guys, bad band, bad guys, good band" which seems to often prove true.
Wow you must really be an asshole
  #65  
Old 06-18-2011, 06:26 PM
An Arky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,333
Actually, to a man, we're really nice guys...doh!

ETA: I actually think that some of the unpleasantness is a matter of post-sucked-up-into the-machinery world weariness. For bands that haven't made it, this isn't a factor.

Last edited by An Arky; 06-18-2011 at 06:29 PM.
  #66  
Old 06-18-2011, 07:04 PM
gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Arky View Post
I have to say, though that there's likely some contributing factors to this. Creative people tend to be moody, bands tend to be worn out from travel, lack of sleep, substance abuse, income levels not matching fame levels, etc., and probably just get to an unhappy and unpleasant place due to all of that. Having random people come up to them and saying stupid shit is probably an old, unfunny joke.
Those are excuses used by assholes. I am friends with the members of a band that plays more than 250 dates a year. And they are not doing this in a tour bus, they are doing it in a regular van. They sleep in motels some nights, in friends home others, and in the van if no other choices are available. They have been doing this for years, building up their following. They are not failures, they had a #2 album on a Billboard chart, it's just that touring constantly is how you build a career if you are not the property of a major label.

They are really sweet people, totally approachable. Nobody gets to be a diva in a van.

Musicians who are assholes would be assholes if they were working in a factory.
  #67  
Old 06-18-2011, 07:17 PM
The Real Regency Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 238
I normally only see the professional side of musicians. They know full well that the show can't go on without the "little guys" like me (ok, I'm a woman but you get the point). Usually they see no point in being dicks to people who can throw a monkey wrench into the works.

But in my first hand experience...
Musicians who consistently acted like total jerks: Shania Twain (Not Rock, I know. But she had a provision in her rider that nobody is allowed to look at her, and for that she deserves an honorable mention), Joe Perry (arrogant and oblivious), Ace Frehley (short temper both drunk and sober), Lars Ulrich (self-absorbed dick), Kerry King (another "don't look at me" type), the late Mike Starr from AIC (mean AND dumb), and Scott Stapp (Scott Stapp).

Musicians who were unflappably nice all the time: Jimmy Buffet, Phil Lesh, Ozzy Osbourne, Warren Haynes, Slash, Bret Michaels, Lisa Loeb, Rob Halford, Jerry Cantrell, Tom Petty, Joey Ramone, and Steven Tyler.

Musicians who were nice until they were approached by idiots: Kid Rock, Dave Mustaine, Gregg Allman, Keith Richards, Paul Stanley, and Lemmy.

And finally, musicians who I was afraid would be dicks but turned out to be somewhat cool: Jim Martin from FNM (funny, not ugly or scary at all), Gene Simmons (he was bearable when not surrounded by ass-kissers), David Lee Roth (see Gene), Jimmy Page (when he was awake), Johnny Thunders, and sometimes, if the stars aligned and the wind blew right, Axl Rose (when off the road, away from the band and talking about safe topics like how awesome Lords of the New Church were).
  #68  
Old 06-18-2011, 07:22 PM
An Arky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Those are excuses used by assholes. I am friends with the members of a band that plays more than 250 dates a year. And they are not doing this in a tour bus, they are doing it in a regular van. They sleep in motels some nights, in friends home others, and in the van if no other choices are available. They have been doing this for years, building up their following. They are not failures, they had a #2 album on a Billboard chart, it's just that touring constantly is how you build a career if you are not the property of a major label.

They are really sweet people, totally approachable. Nobody gets to be a diva in a van.

Musicians who are assholes would be assholes if they were working in a factory.
I get that; I'm just saying that the road, etc. has different effects on different people. I have no doubt that some can do the grind and still be nice, but I don't necessarily put the asshole tag on someone who isn't unflappably pleasant given the circumstances. And I definitely know there are certified assholes out there.
  #69  
Old 06-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Fair Rarity's Avatar
Fair Rarity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
I'm surprised I'm the first to mention Morrissey. He's got a grating, gripey, smug, pretentious thing going, and the term "unpleasant" always seems to apply. Not "bad" or "stupid" or "evil"...just "unpleasant."
I'm a huge Tori Amos fan (who supposedly is super nice to all her fans) and she told this story about meeting him once and how awful he was.

Quote:
"I look back and I just say, 'Hey man, really great songs.' He said, 'What the fuck do you know?' So WHAT THE FUCK DO I KNOW, MOTHERFUCKER?! WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO SELL RECORDS TO IN AMERICA, YOU SMALL DICK FUCKHEAD?”
Then she transitioned into an enjoyable rendition of "Don't Look Back in Anger", reworking some of the lyrics to say "You ain't ever gonna burn my heart out... MORRISSEY!"
  #70  
Old 06-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Baron Greenback's Avatar
Baron Greenback is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 11,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Sees View Post
I'm a huge Tori Amos fan (who supposedly is super nice to all her fans) and she told this story about meeting him once and how awful he was.



Then she transitioned into an enjoyable rendition of "Don't Look Back in Anger", reworking some of the lyrics to say "You ain't ever gonna burn my heart out... MORRISSEY!"
I'm sure Morrissey is an arsehole, but I'm also sure he wouldn't have been all that bothered that Tori played an enjoyable version of a song by a completely different band. If it had been one of his songs, he's be after royalties.

Last edited by Baron Greenback; 06-18-2011 at 09:15 PM.
  #71  
Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Markxxx is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 14,962
Richard Carpenter has always come across as very jealous of his sister. I recall even Olivia Newton-John (who rarely says anything bad about anyone) said, that Karen Carpenter was responsible for their success and Richard needs to realize that. This was after Karen's solo album was shelved. ON-J and Karen were very good friends
  #72  
Old 06-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Spoons is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 17,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
Seriously, who are some pleasant Rock Star types?
I once had the chance to meet Al Harlow of Prism. He was a genuinely nice guy, willing to spend a little time with a fan, and to talk about the band and its hits.

On the other hand (and answering the OP's question), I've also met Burton Cummings, who was with the Guess Who, before he went solo. He made it clear that he had very little time for, or interest in, the "little people." Mind, this was back in about 1982 or so, and he may have mellowed over the years, but I didn't take away a very good impression of him from that meeting.
  #73  
Old 06-18-2011, 09:25 PM
TreacherousCretin's Avatar
TreacherousCretin is offline
Horrified Onlooker
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Posts: 5,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
A friend of mine frequents a message board for acoustic guitarists. Some time ago, a few people started harping about Jackson having beaten Darryl, and none other than David Lindley himself came aboard to rather angrily debunk the stories.

As I remember what my friend told me, one of Lindley's points was that Browne is not a physically unimposing person, while Ms. Hannah was at that time in superb athletic shape and well-trained in martial arts. Had Browne ever thrown a punch at her, "she would have kicked his ass."

Or so my friend said David said.

Disclosure: I'm a huge fan of Lindley's but I have no interest whatever in Jackson Browne's music or personal life.

.

Obviously I meant to type "not a physically imposing person"


.
  #74  
Old 06-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Imago is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Robert Crumb illustrated a story a female friend had related about meeting Boz Skaggs while out drinking. She told him, "I don't want to both you, but I just wanted to say I really love your music" to while he replied "I hope you have a nice death." The friend said she cried for hours.
Not to derail the thread, but why the hell did he say that? What could possibly have been going through his head at the time?
  #75  
Old 06-19-2011, 01:06 AM
gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imago View Post
Not to derail the thread, but why the hell did he say that? What could possibly have been going through his head at the time?
From how Skaggs was drawn, one would assume a large quantity of alcohol was sloshing through it. But if Crumb drew it, I'm pretty sure it happened. Drawing realistic scenes of real life, he is mercilessly honest.

Last edited by gaffa; 06-19-2011 at 01:06 AM.
  #76  
Old 06-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Imago is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
From how Skaggs was drawn, one would assume a large quantity of alcohol was sloshing through it. But if Crumb drew it, I'm pretty sure it happened. Drawing realistic scenes of real life, he is mercilessly honest.
Oh I've no doubt it happened. But damn, besides being an asshole, must be one hell of a morbid drunk.
  #77  
Old 06-19-2011, 01:09 AM
gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Sees View Post
I'm a huge Tori Amos fan (who supposedly is super nice to all her fans) and she told this story about meeting him once and how awful he was.
Yeah, I'll second that Tori is a sweetheart. Met her when she played Schuba's introducing Little Earthquakes. This was before she had a Bosendorfer, and was playing a broken Yamaha electric grand and had to crawl under it to fix the sustain pedal during the show.
  #78  
Old 06-19-2011, 02:39 AM
Súil Dubh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 644
From the world of Punk and Indie Rock:

Henry Rollins comes across as a huge self-absorbed jerk in almost every interview I've ever seen him do. (Jello Biafra, too.)

Here's a Rollins classic from his Black Flag days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3g4QPojMc

...and Rollins in an interview with "Nardwuar the Human Serviette"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt8i4lStIxg

Nardwuar has to be one of the most annoying, irritating people on the face of the planet. But his interviews are great because he really brings out the best and the worst of his subjects.

Two more videos of singers attacking fans:

Ben Weasel of "Screeching Weasel"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRmLoIsGq2A

...and Anton Newcombe of the "Brian Jonestown Massacre"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSm5optFVUw
  #79  
Old 06-19-2011, 02:50 AM
gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
This one kind of surprised me, so I did some Googling. There doesn't seem to be any hard evidence that Jackson Browne beat Darryl Hannah, and some reasonably convincing arguments that he didn't, at least on the occasion that the police were called. (The tl;dr version of the argument is that LA has a zero tolerance policy towards domestic abuse from which celebrities are not exempt, and JB was never charged or even investigated.)

Do you have any proof that this really took place, or is this just one of those things that "everyone knows"?
Your link is not valid. That always seemed non-credible to me as well, like someone trying to convince me that Fred Rogers sold crack.
  #80  
Old 06-19-2011, 05:28 AM
madmonk28 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,301
Jerry Lee Lewis seems pretty awful in real life.
  #81  
Old 06-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Princhester is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 14,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
Not to be unpleasant, but I think the head-scratching would be more prevalent if the thread were about "Pleasant people in rock" instead.
This is all just perception bias. There are thousands and thousands of people in rock. The handful that are assholes you hear stories about, the rest would just be averagely decent people who behave in ordinary ways and so don't come up on the radar. Further, a person in rock could be averagely decent (hell, they could be above averagely decent) but if they have one bad day and throw a tantrum, that day will provide the anecdote given as the standard illustration of that person's personality, for the rest of that person's life.

Last edited by Princhester; 06-19-2011 at 06:56 AM.
  #82  
Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Spoke is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Pit of the Peach State
Posts: 17,913
Michael Jackson diddled little boys.
  #83  
Old 06-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Horatio Hellpop is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Jeju-si, S. Korea
Posts: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
Michael Jackson diddled little boys.
Yeah? Name two. Michael Jackson attracted shakedown artists.
  #84  
Old 06-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Finagle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere near Boston
Posts: 9,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Your link is not valid. That always seemed non-credible to me as well, like someone trying to convince me that Fred Rogers sold crack.
Huh. Checked the link before I posted. Ah well, just Google "Jackson Browne the non incident".
  #85  
Old 06-19-2011, 10:01 AM
StephenG is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Burlington, ON
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
This one kind of surprised me, so I did some Googling. There doesn't seem to be any hard evidence that Jackson Browne beat Darryl Hannah, and some reasonably convincing arguments that he didn't, at least on the occasion that the police were called. (The tl;dr version of the argument is that LA has a zero tolerance policy towards domestic abuse from which celebrities are not exempt, and JB was never charged or even investigated.)
Here's the fixed version of the link: http://home.comcast.net/~leslienoelani/TNI.html
  #86  
Old 06-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Frylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 19,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
In terms of serious superstars, Dave Grohl has the rep of being the Nicest Guy in Rock(tm).
That may be, but my wife reports that at a Foo Fighters concert she got a look at a backstage pass, and it said explicitly (not even just using innuendo) that a woman with a backstage pass was thereby agreeing to give head to the band members.

Probably some kind of joke (I hope) but still...
  #87  
Old 06-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Spoke is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Pit of the Peach State
Posts: 17,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodil View Post
Yeah? Name two. Michael Jackson attracted shakedown artists.
Smoke. Smoke. Smoke. Smoke. Smoke.

But you're right. Why would anyone think there was a fire?
  #88  
Old 06-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Spoke is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Pit of the Peach State
Posts: 17,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
That may be, but my wife reports that at a Foo Fighters concert she got a look at a backstage pass, and it said explicitly (not even just using innuendo) that a woman with a backstage pass was thereby agreeing to give head to the band members.

Probably some kind of joke (I hope) but still...
A joke. For similar dry humor, see the Foo Fighters rider.
  #89  
Old 06-19-2011, 07:29 PM
MPB in Salt Lake is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 4,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Regency Elf View Post
Musicians who consistently acted like total jerks: Shania Twain (Not Rock, I know. But she had a provision in her rider that nobody is allowed to look at her, and for that she deserves an honorable mention)...
I know absolutely nothing about Shania Twain, but how would that even work?

"I saw him looking at me!!!" "I am not going on stage if he isn't fired immediately!!!"

It just sounds impossible to believe that it is something actually possible to enforce....

Was Shania Twain the one who's husband was caught fucking her best friend, and then after she kicked him out, she ended up getting with her (now ex-) best friend's (now ex-) husband?

If so, I saw her on an interview for a few minutes recently, where she was shilling a book that she wrote about the situation, and from what I recall, she seemed fairly normal, other than the whole whoring out her Tragic Betrayal for public consumption.....
  #90  
Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 PM
aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 26,046
john fogerty

A friend of mine was on the stage crew when he did a concert in my town. He screwed up some licks during a performance. Steps behind the amps, trashes the guitar and gets another one. Steps out on stage and continues playing like nothing happened.

At the rock n roll hall of fame he refused to play with ccr even for a few minutes. he's had several other known dick moments.

Last edited by aceplace57; 06-19-2011 at 08:01 PM.
  #91  
Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Laggard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
I know absolutely nothing about Shania Twain, but how would that even work?

"I saw him looking at me!!!" "I am not going on stage if he isn't fired immediately!!!"
.
Not unheard of in acting. Tales are told about actors who crew members were told not to look at. Wish I could recall names now.
  #92  
Old 06-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Zeldar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 24,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Not unheard of in acting. Tales are told about actors who crew members were told not to look at. Wish I could recall names now.
Wouldn't be the dude who played Batman, would it?
  #93  
Old 06-19-2011, 09:42 PM
moejoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Not unheard of in acting. Tales are told about actors who crew members were told not to look at. Wish I could recall names now.
Both Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond have this note in their riders as well. For Barbra it's back stage crew and everyone just clears out of whatever space she's walking through on her way to the stage. With Neil Diamond front of stage crew are required to face away from the stage-no peeking.
  #94  
Old 06-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Fair Rarity's Avatar
Fair Rarity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
I'm sure Morrissey is an arsehole, but I'm also sure he wouldn't have been all that bothered that Tori played an enjoyable version of a song by a completely different band. If it had been one of his songs, he's be after royalties.
I hope my post wasn't vague and implied the wrong thing. It sounded like the Morrissey incident had happened years prior, though after she had become a well-enough-known artist, and they were both at some appropriate venue for her to approach him. She just related the story of how rude he was as an intro to the other song
  #95  
Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 PM
gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Jerry Lee Lewis seems pretty awful in real life.
Jerry Lewis was the star of a family anecdote: My father was a rep in Chicago for an entertainers union - AGVA The Associated Guild of Variety Artists (think plate spinners on the Ed Sullivan Show). Jerry came into town to perform at a night club, and was insistent that my dad procure him a girl for the evening. My father very clearly explained that "pimp" was not part of his job description and that Jerry could get his own girls. This story was repeated every Labor Day when the MDA telethon came on.
  #96  
Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 PM
MPB in Salt Lake is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 4,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Jerry Lewis was the star of a family anecdote: My father was a rep in Chicago for an entertainers union - AGVA The Associated Guild of Variety Artists (think plate spinners on the Ed Sullivan Show). Jerry came into town to perform at a night club, and was insistent that my dad procure him a girl for the evening. My father very clearly explained that "pimp" was not part of his job description and that Jerry could get his own girls. This story was repeated every Labor Day when the MDA telethon came on.
Jerry Lewis is a washed up actor/comedian, and is the guy on the telethon.

Jerry Lee Lewis is a Louisiana piano player who infamously married his 13 year-old cousin, and then would delight in beating her to a bloody pulp on a semi-regular basis.

Apparently, neither one of them are great human beings.
  #97  
Old 06-20-2011, 07:34 AM
lieu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bedrock
Posts: 26,079
A SDMB primer on differentiating between Messers Lewis and Lewis.
  #98  
Old 06-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Sigmagirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Western Reserve
Posts: 8,408
I met Dion once. After two minutes I wanted to punch him in the face.
  #99  
Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM
The Real Regency Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
I know absolutely nothing about Shania Twain, but how would that even work?

"I saw him looking at me!!!" "I am not going on stage if he isn't fired immediately!!!"

It just sounds impossible to believe that it is something actually possible to enforce....
The provision was there mainly for any local venue staff who may have been acting a tad starstruck and staring openly at her. Rap artists are pretty sensitive to it as well. One of my coworkers was given a dressing down for making eye contact with 50 Cent. If someone had been caught gawping at "Ms. Twain" (as her rider called her), they would have been spoken to in similar fashion. Some artists go so far as to have hallways cleared out for their imminent arrival at the venue, but that's rare. Most don't really care as long as the local crew don't bug them for pics or autographs. And then there's a couple of people like Steven Tyler and Jimmy Buffet who love to be approached. Buffet has a guy who helps keep the madness down somewhat. Otherwise he'd spend all his time shooting the breeze with everyone!

Backstage, it's the artist's world and we're all just living in it. It's one of the few places where they can control the flow of human traffic and try to limit, within reason, contact between them and the public. While I feel that prohibiting people from looking too long in their direction is total diva behavior, I can also see what they're trying to do. It's something that you have to accept if you want to work in that environment.
  #100  
Old 06-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Actually they are dark wizards who cast spells that make you buy their music when you look at them, and it only lasts for so long. So if the people in the back are staring at them, it lessens or weakens the magic before they get on-stage.

Or so I've been told.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017