Old 06-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Iceberg lettuce has no business on or in anything. I still can't figure out why that stuff even exists.
It's like crunchy water, and, sometimes, that's exactly what I want: texture and moisture without adding too much flavor. It's refreshing, which most salad greens are not. (Don't get me wrong--I like my arugula and endive and dandelion greens and whatnot, but they don't belong anywhere near a meat sandwich for me. Make a BLT with anything but iceberg and I'm likely to punch you in the face. OK, maybe romaine hearts are okay, but that's it.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-07-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

If you just want bland crunchy, then celery works much better. And a BLT is exactly the sort of situation where you don't want iceberg: You've already got crunchy from the bacon, and you need a more robust flavor to work with the the bacon and tomato.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:04 PM

I hate...hate hotdogs. But I can do Angus, all beef hotdogs, they don't have that horrid after taste that regular dogs do.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
If you just want bland crunchy, then celery works much better. And a BLT is exactly the sort of situation where you don't want iceberg: You've already got crunchy from the bacon, and you need a more robust flavor to work with the the bacon and tomato.
No, celery has far too strong a flavor for most things where I want iceberg lettuce (and how are they comparable? One is leafy and crunchy, the other is stalky and crunchy. They don't work in the same situations at all. I could see celery and water chestnuts and perhaps jicama being comparable in that manner, but not iceberg lettuce.) And we'll agree to disagree about the BLT. I want that crunchy wateriness there. Romaine hearts are the only acceptable substitute. Well, I can maybe seeing endive working, but we're getting a bit fancy here, then.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-07-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I can maybe seeing endive working, but we're getting a bit fancy here, then.
That would be a B La-De-Dah T.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:46 PM

How about ketchup on sushi?

Faux pas or daring innovation?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to nuke a quarter-pound Hebrew National hot dog for dinner. I haven't decided if I'll eat it plain with catsup, or on a sandwich with American cheese, mayo, and Sriracha sauce.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:03 AM

Ketchup on a hot dog?! Great God Almighty! Just kidding. Eat what you want-it's your food. Until reading this column I didn't realize there were people who considered it a capital crime. And I thought wine snots were extreme.