Old 12-17-2016, 12:47 PM

The OA - netflix original

All episodes dropped yesterday in the UK - I'm 2 and a half in and enjoying it a lot. Sci-fi mystery isn't for Mrs Macau so no binging for me.
They chose to have no previews nor, it seems, advertising prior to the show airing.
Other Dopers must be watching, surely?

MiM
Old 12-17-2016, 12:54 PM

Two eps in, intrigued. Will report back later.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I will be watching this now my Westworld viewing is over. I'll report back in awhile.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:06 PM

No time to watch it just yet, but it is in my queue and I'm looking forward to it. Partly, it will depend on whether I want to watch the last half of Luke Cage first, or let Luke continue sitting on the back burner.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracoi View Post
No time to watch it just yet, but it is in my queue and I'm looking forward to it. Partly, it will depend on whether I want to watch the last half of Luke Cage first, or let Luke continue sitting on the back burner.
Ooooh...we found Luke Cage to be the most boring show we watched this year.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:22 PM

We are just starting it right now. I'll check back after.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:17 PM

Well. Hmmmmm. Wut? Hmmmmmm. OK. Wut? Eh? FFS.

This is my review of The OA.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Ooooh...we found Luke Cage to be the most boring show we watched this year.
Not to jack this thread, but we felt like it was dragged out 2-3 eps too long. The dance between the bad guys seemed to go on like a stuck record.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:28 PM

I was strongly reminded of a previous Marling darling, Sound of My Voice. Marling played very close to the same character, and there were similarities in the plot and themes of that movie and this series. Her choices in both strike me as rather... transparent.

I'm rather ambivalent about the show, and I imagine a number of 'Dopers will find it very annoying or very intriguing (or both). There's some New Age stuff that doesn't quite track for me, but the show piqued my curiosity enough to convince me to follow through til the end (despite the obviousness of some of the techniques used to generate that curiosity). I guess I would say that the show had a lot of promise, but it also had a lot of room for improvement.

I was really impressed by Phyllis Smith's acting. She brought so much depth and realism to her role, I was touched by her story more than anyone else's.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:37 PM

I'm another one who got within a few eps of the end of Luke Cage and got bored put it for awhile and put off finishing it.

Wikipedia says The OA has gotten mixed to positive reviews and compared both favorably and unfavorably to Stranger Days. Whatever that means. I really liked Stranger Days so I'll give it a shot.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

We did watch the first episode.

Mad props to a show for making it's opening 57 minutes the opening before the credits. When the credits hit, I laughed. No way all that was the opening.

And you know what? It was. After that, she began to tell her life story....which will probably make up a good chunk of the core show(??).

Anyway, we will definitely watch the next one.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:31 AM

I'm also one episode in.

So far, so good.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:45 AM

I just finished it, and I really, really liked it. Fantastic cast, weird, wonderful story, and creatively told. It's not perfect, but it's well worth watching. Fair warning: If you're the kind of person who can't just let a story wash over you, you're probably not going to like it.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:28 AM

I won't spoil it but for me the series went downhill rapidly after the first few episodes. Disappointing although a shout out for the actors who were all excellent and deserving of a superior script to work with.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post

That works for me. We watched the first one last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
We did watch the first episode.

Mad props to a show for making it's opening 57 minutes the opening before the credits. When the credits hit, I laughed. No way all that was the opening.

And you know what? It was. After that, she began to tell her life story....which will probably make up a good chunk of the core show(??).

Anyway, we will definitely watch the next one.
We had the same reaction to the credits. I would like to know why they felt it necessary to insert it there?

My thoughts, one episode in. Woman in trouble, separated from her child (most likely) or lover (also possible). She has some sort of psychic powers, which oddly don't seem to help her at all with her parents. I find it incredibly odd how much personal agency she has outside the house, and how little she has at home. It's like she's a different person. The list of restrictions for her seem very arbitrary. I'm not certain how they're supposed to help her recovery.

It's all very dark and moody. I wish the story had done a better job of establishing why we should care about this woman, or this story, but really that hasn't happened yet. Most of the secondary characters are assholes or twits. I would probably never watch it again, but we will. My husband likes dark and moody and paranormal.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
I won't spoil it but for me the series went downhill rapidly after the first few episodes. Disappointing although a shout out for the actors who were all excellent and deserving of a superior script to work with.

I only got to watch half an hour before getting interrupted. I'll give it another go again tonight. I was put off rather early by yet another nasty teenage jock. These poor guys have a worse rep in popular culture than Nazi's. I have to think a number of nerdy television writers are getting payback for being beaten up by athletic all-American types in their youth.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:03 PM

The first ep was interesting, if slow. Eps two and three were boring enough I considered quitting, then it got better after that. Overall I liked it well enough, especially the acting. Homer impressed me.

Not sure I want a sequel or not, but

SPOILER:
There's clearly some weird shit going on and I'm not talking about Prairie's stories to the high school kids. Who is that FBI guy who doesn't seem very FBI and works in a building that appears completely deserted except for his still unpacked boxes? Was that just sloppy production, not bothering to make an empty building look occupied? What was he doing back at Prairie's house? Planting books? When did previously blind Prairie find the time to buy and read those books and make up her story?

There were other parts of "real life" with the high school kids that seemed unrealistic. I can't tell if it was done on purpose or not. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire show took place in Prairie's head, wherever she is. There was an unreal quality to the whole thing.

Her story kind of reminded me of Life of Pi. It's evidently based on real events, but heavily painted over with imagination and delusion. Her real experience over the last nine years must have been even worse than described, or just very boring.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr, G. View Post
I was strongly reminded of a previous Marling darling, Sound of My Voice. Marling played very close to the same character, and there were similarities in the plot and themes of that movie and this series. Her choices in both strike me as rather... transparent.
Yep. I just finished the last episode and this is exactly what I came here to post. I was strongly reminded of The Sound of My Voice. Before I started the last two episodes I had figured out that the ending was going to use the same little ploy of "none of it's real--oh, wait, maybe it IS real... or is it?!... roll credits." See also: I Origins, starring Brit Marling.

Still, I enjoyed the journey. The characters were interesting, and Prairie's story--true or not--was compelling.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
Overall I liked it well enough, especially the acting. Homer impressed me.
Homer looked familiar to me, but I couldn't remember from where, so I looked up the actor. He was Saoirse Ronan's love interest in the movie Brooklyn.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I am two episodes in.....and I hope this doesn't turn out to be the kind of thing where we wonder whether all the supernatural stuff really happened, or if it was all in her head.

Such an obvious direction to take things.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:11 PM

Started it last night. Halfway through the first episode I thought it was kinda dumb, but I'd watch the rest of the episode. It finally got a bit interesting after the opening credits*, but still kinda dumb. The second episode autostarted before I could make my lazy ass change it so I ended watching the second one too. The second one was better, but I'm still giving it a solid meh+. I'll probably keep watching tonight because I really really hate trying to decide on something else to watch.

*Really? 50 minutes to get to opening credits? I kinda laughed, but I'm not sure I was supposed to. Mainly because it reminded me of another movie that did that and it WAS funny (if you like Japanese alien fungus zombie head exploding blood spray movies). Go watch Helldriver.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:21 PM

After the first episode, I'm seriously disappointed so far. I feel like the only tension/suspense for the viewer is the fact that we're not being told anything. I will probably come back to it later, but I'll definitely finish Luke Cage first.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:36 PM

Oh, you're going to be told lots of stuff.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Just watching the third episode. I like this show a lot so far.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:44 PM

We are steadily watching this (as predicted, hubby likes it). I feel like I'm having my brain extracted through my ears. It's...just...so...slow. I manage to refrain from having a conniption by multi-tasking while it's on.

I think the plot is ridiculous - Wayward Pines ridiculous. I liked WP more though. The characters seemed a little more alive. It was at least entertaining in its stupidity.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:

Watched all but the last episode. I generally enjoyed it, but wish it hadn't gone so far into the new-age weirdness direction.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Let me add: "Oh, come on!"

That ending... Wow...
Old 12-20-2016, 05:05 PM

Watched ep3 and 4 last night. I'm not sure if it is getting better or not. Just when I think it might be, something happens and I groan and/or roll my eyes. I'll still probably finish the series though, again, because I am too lazy to look for something else.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:17 PM

I'm about five episodes in so far. I've kind of enjoyed what I've seen so far, and might even be willing to suspend my disbelief more than usual given that some woo seems inevitable at this point. But I'm at red alert, ready and half expecting to be punched in the face by an inept and stupid TV writer yelling "Ha! Wasted your time!".
Old 12-21-2016, 02:48 AM

Finished it last night and enjoyed it very much. If you are thinking of stopping after a few episodes, I'd encourage you to continue.
I haven't seen Brit Marling in anything else so can't comment on that, but I thought as said above that all the cast were excellent. Great to see the ultra hot Borg Queen growing old beautifully.
I'll say more later about the content and themes tonight, but it was always compelling - even when I was thinking 'no way'..

MiM
Old 12-21-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Watched all but the last episode. I generally enjoyed it, but wish it hadn't gone so far into the new-age weirdness direction.
Watched the last episode last night.

Shoulda rewatch end LOST instead. Heh.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:51 AM

Lost cheated. Mr. Robot jerks us around. I don't think the OA cheated at all. If you made it to the end, you got what you paid for.

I understand why they'd want to leave it the way they did, but I'd like a second season anyway.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:55 AM

I liked the characters a lot. Their stories, their interactions. Even the bully who I almost turned off the show early on for, grew on me in the end.

I don't know that the ending was well executed though. It was almost Deus ex Machina in in it's appearance, like they didn't know how to pull the narrative together so they plopped down whatever came to mind first. There certainly wasn't any foreshadowing, unless I missed something.

Also:

SPOILER:

That FBI guy (loved him in "the Night Of"!) what was he doing in Prairie's house? If there's a season 2, I think he's going to play a bigger role.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 12-21-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:08 PM

Finished the series last night. I want my 8 hrs back. I mean, I know I'd just waste them anyway, but presumably I won't feel as pissed off about it.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, another WTF was going on with the credits?

I thought something went haywire with the buffering and it skipped to the next episode.

It wasn't until after I rewound it that I realized, "Nope, they meant to do that."

(It didn't help matters that I was about four glasses of wine in)
Old 12-22-2016, 05:05 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

I quit halfway through the 2nd episode
Old 12-22-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I quit halfway through the 2nd episode
Good choice.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:13 PM

Did not care for the how it wrapped up. Was moderately intrigued through 6.5 episodes.

Best part of it ended up being the awareness of how binging is changing consumption to put the opening titles 50 minutes into the first episode. When really it was just an 8 hour episode of TV, putting the titles the equivalent of 6 minutes into an hour episode was about right. Little long for a cold open but not excessive.

This is the first thing I've binged in a while on Netflix and for this show it only gave about 5 seconds before automatically starting the next episode. I'm used to it being something like 20 seconds. Have they globally changed that or was that a ploy just for The OA?

Last edited by obfusciatrist; 12-22-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Keiko!!
Old 12-23-2016, 02:38 PM

On reflection I felt it was good, maybe not very good, but good enough to entertain me. I thought the denoument was perhaps the whole point; - art v tyranny, culture v ignorance, enlightenment v blinkers. It worked for me and would definitely look forward to a second season. I don't know if this is evidence of the liberal elite at it again!
I think Stranger Things was better - but I might have enjoyed this more as it made me think more. Maybe I'm being perverse there.

My only real eye-roll moment was that Prarie's scars were said to have been described by a nurse as 'hard to look at'. Perhaps it was a trainee nurse's first day. Dancing to open time portal's was far more believable.

MiM
Old 12-24-2016, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

I do not hate the ending by any means, but do think they misfired.

We should have seen:

SPOILER:
Prairie lead her new friends through a portal to another dimension in order to find her friends. I think that would have been an earned cliffhanger for us.

I hope there is a second season.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:13 AM
BANNED

Good build up of the story but the ending is a major suck. It could have been better than that. That was just stupid.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
If you made it to the end, you got what you paid for.
Netflix?

Anywho... wasn't terrible, but wasn't even remotely in the same league as Stranger Things, not that I think it was intended to be. I'm kinda over cop out endings, though. I would like another season to explain the real deal, assuming they'd actually do that and not just jerk us around again.

Last edited by TBG; 12-24-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: jerk off and jerk around mean different things, lol
Old 12-24-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfusciatrist View Post
This is the first thing I've binged in a while on Netflix and for this show it only gave about 5 seconds before automatically starting the next episode. I'm used to it being something like 20 seconds. Have they globally changed that or was that a ploy just for The OA?
Depends on the platform and version of the player being used. Some don't autoplay at all (good, IMO).
Old 12-24-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Netflix?

Anywho... wasn't terrible, but wasn't even remotely in the same league as Stranger Things, not that I think it was intended to be. I'm kinda over cop out endings, though. I would like another season to explain the real deal, assuming they'd actually do that and not just jerk us around again.
I want a second season if there really is something to the five movements, but if they're going to keep us forever guessing what's real and what's not, then they might as well leave it as is.

I really think something's up with the FBI guy and the books.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I want a second season if there really is something to the five movements, but if they're going to keep us forever guessing what's real and what's not, then they might as well leave it as is.

I really think something's up with the FBI guy and the books.
When "French" turned into "Homer" in the mirror, then FBI showed up, I was worried FBI was going to kill him and turn out to be "HAP" from the "real" world.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
I'm about five episodes in so far. I've kind of enjoyed what I've seen so far, and might even be willing to suspend my disbelief more than usual given that some woo seems inevitable at this point. But I'm at red alert, ready and half expecting to be punched in the face by an inept and stupid TV writer yelling "Ha! Wasted your time!".
Aaaand, I just got sucker punched. I should have switched off at the first signs of fucking interpretive dance. Jesus H. Christ that was stupid. And they played that straight, right to the end in the cafeteria, intending for us to take it seriously. What a waste of time. What a bunch of incoherent nonsense.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Aaaand, I just got sucker punched. I should have switched off at the first signs of fucking interpretive dance. Jesus H. Christ that was stupid. And they played that straight, right to the end in the cafeteria, intending for us to take it seriously. What a waste of time. What a bunch of incoherent nonsense.
We need to form a support group. OAA.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
We need to form a support group. OAA.
Look, I don't have a problem, alright? I can stop binge watching whenever I want to.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:47 PM

Do you hide netflix capable devices around your house?