Old 12-27-2016, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Anywho... wasn't terrible, but wasn't even remotely in the same league as Stranger Things, not that I think it was intended to be.
Man, I do not get the "Stranger Things" love. I suffered through it, thought the ending was horrible, and generally found it dull and the acting, especially from Winona, really bad.

The OA, I loooooved. Yeah, the ending was slightly contrived, but overall in a much better league than Stranger Things. More interesting storyline, much better acting, much more intriguing concept.

To each their own, I guess.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Man, I do not get the "Stranger Things" love. I suffered through it, thought the ending was horrible, and generally found it dull and the acting, especially from Winona, really bad.

The OA, I loooooved. Yeah, the ending was slightly contrived, but overall in a much better league than Stranger Things. More interesting storyline, much better acting, much more intriguing concept.

To each their own, I guess.
Finally. I felt so alone. I think the Stranger Things love is 99.9% driven by nostalgia.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMoon View Post
Finally. I felt so alone. I think the Stranger Things love is 99.9% driven by nostalgia.
As a child of the 70s and 80s, I should loooooove Stranger Things. I was pretty much of an age with the kids in the show. Maybe I'm nostalgia-challenged.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:25 PM

I actually liked Stranger Things quite a bit. I'm not usually a big nostalgia guy, and in general think we have more and better television and music now than ever before. But that show really worked for me. I thought it was really well made, and the atmosphere alone really sold it. Heck, even the title sequence was really creepy.

I agree that the plot was very goofy. But to misquote from the political sphere, it was goofy within normal parameters for a sci-fi / fantasy TV show. OA was just embarrassingly dumb, and the interpretive dance scenes (especially in the cafeteria) were cringe worthy.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
OA was just embarrassingly dumb, and the interpretive dance scenes (especially in the cafeteria) were cringe worthy.
It worked for me, no cringes here at all.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
It worked for me, no cringes here at all.
I liked that part as well. No issues for me.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:13 PM

I thought the school shooter came out of nowhere, storywise and literally, and the dance was weird. But I rewatched it and the whole thing grew on me. Prairie did see the cafeteria in her dreams, and teaching the group the 5 movements did prevent a tragedy, and it looked like she got herself another NDE.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:36 PM

+15 for cringe worthy dances, the instant they started them. BUT, I gave it the benefit of the doubt, hoping it would turn out there would be cool pan-dimensional portals. Nope. Just extra super stupid cringe worthy dance. I felt embarrassed for the characters. I felt embarrassed for the actors. I feel embarrassed for my friends who are going to sit through it, despite my warnings.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I think the Stranger Things love is 99.9% driven by nostalgia.
There ain't nothin wrong with that!

The young actress playing Eleven was really good, too. She could say volumes without uttering a word.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had almost no nostalgia for the time period it was set in. Loved the show, anyway. I guess I'm the .1%?
Old 12-30-2016, 02:18 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Speaking of young actresses, or rather actors - the kid who plays Buck is television's first transgender Asian. Woohoo!

That kid from The Night Of (the FBI agent in this show) is great. He should be in everything, just being calm. He should try to calm down Mr. Robot.

I thought it was ok. I didn't get too deeply invested in to it. I expected it to suck (I lived through Lost, man!) I thought Stranger Things was good too, more fun than this. But this was at least a good story. Felt like an 8-hour movie.

I don't feel that the ending was conclusive at all.

I also find it shady that:

SPOILER:

Steve was carted away and his teacher paid for him to not have to go, they all get caught in the house together yada yada he is back in school like nothing happened. He still did break some kid's throat and his dad still was pissed at him and the teacher had no legal right to pay for his escape. I am having a hard time believing that he is just in school again.

Yes, that was the unbelievable part of the story for me haha

I, too, interrupted Luke Cage to come over to The OA. I was excited to finally start Luke, and I enjoyed it at first but he seems to be walking around cringing in pain for 6 episodes now and I'm a bit over it.

I guess I'll see what's going on in the land of Narcos next.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:51 PM

I have to admit, viewing clips of the big dance sequence at the end does have kind of a hypnotic, so-bad-it's-good appeal. But I'm glad I didn't bother wading through eight episodes for the privilege.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Aaaand, I just got sucker punched. I should have switched off at the first signs of fucking interpretive dance. Jesus H. Christ that was stupid. And they played that straight, right to the end in the cafeteria, intending for us to take it seriously. What a waste of time. What a bunch of incoherent nonsense.
Yes, cosigned. I'm actually fascinated that anyone didn't bust out laughing (or cover their eyes in embarrassment) at the weirdo "movements". My reaction to that was "how did no one on the set tell them 'NONONO, you cannot put this on TV screens, ABORT ABORT'?". Even most of the critics I've read who liked the show admit that aspect was cringeworthy. But there is a solid contingent of people online (not just here but the IMDB boards) who didn't flinch at all. And I think that's the outlook of the creative people making it as well: they didn't even consider that it might look absurd to most people. Interesting.

OTOH there were aspects of this that were really interesting: particularly anything to do with Hap. The scene with him and the other "evil scientist" at the hospital was especially gripping, and the way he set up his basement holding cells was ingenious and not anything I've seen before.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:26 PM

Yeah, this show was weird. I'm sure there are lots of shows filled with stupid woo that just never come up on my radar because they're obviously terrible in every way. But this wasn't terrible in every way. Production values and performances were good. The writing and story structure wasn't bad. It was for the most part engaging and the product of competent craftsmanship. But ... jeez.

I'm guessing the show runner really believes in this nonsense and was excited to get the funding to run with their ideas. It feels like a side effect of the current Netflix / Amazon model of producing a bunch of really esoteric work that might not have found a home elsewhere. So they still insist on high budget quality creations, but are more willing to tolerate zany ideas. As a consumer it's worked out alright and I think I've been exposed to some interesting greatness that wouldn't have existed otherwise. I guess the price to pay is the occasional miss like OA. And from the Netflix / Amazon perspective it isn't even a miss: lots of people seem to like it.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:33 PM

Well, aren't the moves supposed to look ridiculous, to us? I think that was kind of the point, in the end. If they hadn't looked so ridiculous, would the shooter in the school have been distracted enough to let the security guard tackle him?

I guess it depends on what you believe the purpose of those movements are. If they are actually supposed to open some kind of portal, then yes it seems unnecessarily over-the-top. But if the actual purpose of the movements was to distract the shooter, then it makes sense for them to be so weird and crazy. Maybe that was the real motivation of whatever otherwordly 'force' revealed the moves to Prairie.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Well, aren't the moves supposed to look ridiculous, to us?
This is another really interesting question. I've seen a number of people on IMDB and the AV Club argue exactly this. But there are too many people who disagree strenuously and don't think they look ridiculous at all (people who have a high tolerance for woo or what the NYT called "New Age woolgathering"). And I just don't get the sense from how they were presented that the makers of the show saw them as preposterous. I think Driver8 just upthread is right:

Quote:
I'm guessing the show runner really believes in this nonsense and was excited to get the funding to run with their ideas.
Driver, that whole post is spot on, in fact--perfectly said. It's very strange for a show to have naturalistic, well-filmed and acted scenes like the one in the hospital morgue, or the ones in Cuba (as long as you ignore some of the logistic problems), but then also prominently feature this risible woo (not just the "movements" but the scenes where OA is communing with the vaguely Eastern karma lady).

The traditional TV production system would have kept some of that from getting through the pipeline, and part of me has an instinctual desire for some of those filters to be put back in place. But I absolutely take your point, which reminds me of the one Dan Fienberg (one of my favorite critics, currently at The Hollywood Reporter) made in his review:

Quote:
The end of the fifth episode features the biggest reveal yet of the purpose for everything and I'm afraid that my only reaction was laughter and not of the good kind.[...] I don't doubt that there will be some culty approval from audiences whose suspension of disbelief remains intact, but mine was not.[...]

The OA is a show of utter and ultimately self-defeating earnestness that also can't follow through on its grand reveal once it comes.[...] By the eighth episode, I didn't care about anybody's fate and I was watching for a payoff I'd joked about in my notes, knew was coming and yet still managed to be sillier than I imagined. All goodwill and intrigue from the first four episodes was gone.

As frustrated and unhappy as I finally was by The OA, I still want to say this: I love that Netflix (or any other TV or streaming entity with similar guts) is willing to do a show like this. I haven't loved anything Marling and Batmanglij have done yet, but I find their style and concerns to be recognizable and distinctive. If Netflix is going to throw money at soulless throwback garbage like Fuller House or at gritty superhero shows bearing the Marvel brand or even at the tremendously executed prestige drama of The Crown, knowing that both of those are recognizable sure-things of [very] different kinds, I have great admiration for also taking a chunk of money to a pair of obviously gifted indie auteurs and saying, "Make us something weird" with no guarantee that what you're getting in return is going to be good or sellable. And trust me, when you see the way The OA resolves itself, you'll know that Netflix execs were closing their eyes, crossing their fingers and praying it would play. For me, it doesn't and I can't recommend the show at all, even knowing that there's a niche that will embrace it, but I enthusiastically recommend Netflix keep trying this kind of thing, especially if its resources truly are as boundless as they often seem to be. The successes should outnumber the failures.
Note that Fienberg too interprets the tone as "utter earnestness". If they are subtly aiming more for ironic distance, it utterly whooshed him, me, and Driver8. But I just don't believe that interpretation is defensible.

One more point to make about whether it can be counted as a commercial success for Netflix. Since their business is all about adding and retaining subscribers and thus getting the maximum number of monthly fees, whether people watch any individual show isn't so much the point. Oddly enough, they have determined that the key element for any individual piece of content that correlates with retention of subscribers is whether someone adds it to what I call a "queue" but is now called "My List". If people have something on their queue that they are interested in watching at some point in the future, they are less likely to cancel their subscription. If OTOH someone finishes something, it's not so much use to Netflix because even if the subscriber loved it, they aren't going to keep their subscription simply out of gratitude. "What have you done for me lately?" is the overriding rule.

Makes total sense. But it's kind of troubling in a way. Do absurd elements introduced late in a show's run (and not included in the marketing) even matter? Maybe they do, because they could lead people to get frustrated and say "Netflix gets me interested in these things and then they always jump the shark" (this was certainly true IMO for their first big piece of original IP: House of Cards). IDK, just musing out loud here.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
One more point to make about whether it can be counted as a commercial success for Netflix. Since their business is all about adding and retaining subscribers and thus getting the maximum number of monthly fees, whether people watch any individual show isn't so much the point. Oddly enough, they have determined that the key element for any individual piece of content that correlates with retention of subscribers is whether someone adds it to what I call a "queue" but is now called "My List". If people have something on their queue that they are interested in watching at some point in the future, they are less likely to cancel their subscription. If OTOH someone finishes something, it's not so much use to Netflix because even if the subscriber loved it, they aren't going to keep their subscription simply out of gratitude. "What have you done for me lately?" is the overriding rule.

Makes total sense. But it's kind of troubling in a way. Do absurd elements introduced late in a show's run (and not included in the marketing) even matter? Maybe they do, because they could lead people to get frustrated and say "Netflix gets me interested in these things and then they always jump the shark" (this was certainly true IMO for their first big piece of original IP: House of Cards). IDK, just musing out loud here.
I see your point but I'm not too concerned about that. They do have a vested interest in not frustrating people and I don't think they're incentivized in any way to spring the absurd elements on unsuspecting viewers. There is a higher risk of it happening with their "zany ideas" model but the older broadcast model IMHO has an even worse tendency to spring awfulness on viewers by trying to milk shows for far too long. If I have to pick my poison I'll pick the Netflix model. At least it's a quick death

Do you know for a fact that "My List" is their main guide? Interesting if so. I'm happy to keep my subscription largely on the basis of them having interesting shows continuously coming out, but I don't use that feature. Perhaps I'm atypical.

I'm speculating as an outsider, but I assume Netflix uses their incredibly detailed viewer statistics to great effect. I assume not only do they know what people watch, but when they pause or rewatch or how quickly they watch. It must make the Nielsen ratings look like a My First Data Science Statistics Fisher Price toy. Ordinarily this sort of thing would creep me out but I actually think there is a chance that my interests as a consumer and Netflix's interests might align here. They can broaden their subscription base not just by the lowest common denominator approach I associate with the traditional broadcasters but also with targeted and interesting niche productions. So they'll always have a few things that keep *me* subscribed, and that is true for a bunch of different kinds of consumers. It doesn't even have to be a lot of things per user since subscription costs are relatively low.

I hope this model is sustainable. I'm not sure. It involves producing a lot of things. Ideally this all settles into a sustainable pattern that looks similar to what we have now. But it strikes me as possible that it isn't sustainable and the streaming companies are only engaged in it temporarily for fast growth and we will see a return to something more traditional. That would suck.

By like you, I'm just musing out loud. I'm not an expert by any means.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:58 AM
BANNED

For $10 a month I'm not complaining.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:49 AM

Finished it last night, and my first thought was to quote Michael from Arrested Development: "I don't know what I expected."

I mean, sure, I binged it, but the ending didn't really pay off that binge... and I'm not sure what payoff would've worked.

So if the Hap and Homer story was completely made up, what are we to do with the scene where Hap goes to meet his fellow NDE researcher and has to kill him? OA wasn't there, so if she made it all up then not only would that scene have been entirely conjecture, she wouldn't have even had a logical excuse to tell the gang about it.

I did find it fairly amusing that at one point some of the characters were watching TV, and I'm pretty certain they were watching the first episode of Stranger Things.

Last edited by Lightnin'; 01-03-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:07 AM

What would have worked was some more tangible evidence that it wasn't all her nutso imagining. At least for me. The ending was such a tremendous let down for the hours and hours that preceded it.

What was with her telling them all to leave their doors open anyway?
Old 01-03-2017, 11:36 AM

Prairie said something about it showing that they are opening their lives to her. If you look at Prairie as being a manipulator and even an aspiring cult leader, little meaningless things like that are a way of establishing control over someone.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
So if the Hap and Homer story was completely made up, what are we to do with the scene where Hap goes to meet his fellow NDE researcher and has to kill him? OA wasn't there, so if she made it all up then not only would that scene have been entirely conjecture, she wouldn't have even had a logical excuse to tell the gang about it.
Yes, that is the same question I always ask the "she made it up" crowd at IMDb. That's a great scene, probably my favorite of the series, but it just doesn't square with her telling a BS story. (Nor, of course, does the ending where she instantly goes from relaxing in the bath to sitting bolt upright, scrambling to get clothes on and running out the door to arrive at the school just as a Columbine-style shooter does. That's just not remotely plausible as pure coincidence.)
Old 01-03-2017, 12:36 PM

I don't think OA had ever seen the kids' school cafeteria, but if you rewatch it's clearly in her dream. They show the trees through the windows and it's exactly the same. Then she wakes up with a bloody nose and runs straight to the cafeteria.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
... but if you rewatch...
Nope
Old 01-04-2017, 09:30 PM

So it is two stories, if you will. The real story of the kids meeting, learning to dance, and saving the day. And the "made-up" story of Hap.

The Hap part was intriguing to me, the kids part not as much. It was obvious enough from early on that they might end on "she made it all up", so I didn't necessarily feel burned, but still let down. They could have made a better show by embracing the world she created.

Like the review quoted ... I walk away mainly pleased that Netflix is making stuff like The OA.

John from Cincinnati
Lost
The OA
Old 01-04-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Gallery View Post
So it is two stories, if you will. The real story of the kids meeting, learning to dance, and saving the day. And the "made-up" story of Hap.

The Hap part was intriguing to me, the kids part not so much.
Hear, hear. But what do John From Cincinnati and LOST have to do with it?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:07 PM

My two cents...

Glad I watched it, but deeply flawed in its editing and storytelling IMO. There were several pointless sub-threads in the story, like the FBI guy, and the pointless fleeing to the hotel and later returning. There also was never a clear distinction between Prairie's recollections vs actual 3rd-person perspective events communicated to us as a viewing audience...Hap in the morgue being a particular example...which I feel is just sloppy writers jerking the viewers around in a poor "Ha ha, made you think" attempt at plot-twist drama.

In retrospect, my perspective is that the story illustrates the susceptibility of flawed, troubled, lonely, isolated personalities to be enamored with and unquestioningly accept the presence of a powerful personality and vision...a cautionary tale on the development of cults and woo-acceptance. I don't think that was necessarily the writer's intent though.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:21 PM
BANNED

Not only was there a Canadian feel to everything but the stereotypes were oversimplified .
Old 01-06-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Hear, hear. But what do John From Cincinnati and LOST have to do with it?
OA felt like the other two shows to me. John From Cincinnati for the new-agey angels not-quite-pulling-it-off vibe. Lost for the "this is gonna be all for nothing, isn't it?" vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donpeyote View Post
Not only was there a Canadian feel to everything
Right up to the school shooting. lol?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
OA felt like the other two shows to me. John From Cincinnati for the new-agey angels not-quite-pulling-it-off vibe. Lost for the "this is gonna be all for nothing, isn't it?" vibe.

Right up to the school shooting. lol?
Then it embraced the stereotypes they (Franco Canadiens) have of America wholeheartedly ...
Old 01-06-2017, 02:34 AM

Yeah, they made it look like school shootings are fairly routine.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Ahhh...okay, now I get it and I agree.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:44 AM
BANNED

I think season 2 Funding will be a breeze ( Guns are bad umkay , White Males are the bad actors , Minority struggles abound , not a hint of Christianity that resonates ...
Old 01-07-2017, 04:13 PM

I really enjoyed the show. It was just really compelling from the first opening credits, 50 mins into the 1st episode. Me and my girlfriend ended up binging most of it, which is a feat because my girlfriend is the type who is exhausted by 10pm, but kept saying let's watch another episode until 1am... Anyway she also pointed something out to me that I completely missed in the last 15 mins of the show

SPOILER:
when OA is getting loaded into the ambulance, the bully hears a sound and looks up. I thought it was like some airplane or something, but it turns out it the sound from ep 2 that Hap tells Prarie about - the sounds that a soul makes when it leaves a body. No wonder he started chasing the ambulance and tells take me with you

And yes, the movements are silly, but I think they are supposed to look like that. Though I thought it was fantastic when they actually turned out to work down in the basement. And I think that Prarie's frantic attempt to search for Homer on the Internet when she originally got home indicated that at least some of her story is real (I prefer to think the vast majority of her story is real).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2017, 07:58 AM

I finished this series over the weekend...all in all, the plot may leave a bit to be desired especially at the end, but there were parts of it I enjoyed so much on their own merits that I can't complain too much. It kept me watching.

This deserves to be every bit as popular as "Stranger Things" -- the only thing it's missing is the nostalgia factor. Legitimately creepy stuff trumps 80s movie-style creepy for me personally.

All the Hap-related stuff was right up my alley. Very well done.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:59 AM

Something else I thought of that makes it even weirder to include the morgue scene if they wanted it to be ambiguous as to whether Prairie was making it all up: that part could definitely be verified. In fact, they'd already know about it. Think about what huge news it would be if a dead medical researcher were found, along with however many cages of human experiment victims (and it sounds like he was less humane than Hap). Then you figure out what other doctor could have been that guy's mentee, and bingo: you've found Hap.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
I don't think OA had ever seen the kids' school cafeteria, but if you rewatch it's clearly in her dream. They show the trees through the windows and it's exactly the same. Then she wakes up with a bloody nose and runs straight to the cafeteria.
Could mean something, could just be for ease of production, why build another set, particularly if it would just confuse the viewers not looking as deeply as you are at the details (not that there's anything wrong with that)?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:14 AM

Just finished the series. About half way or 3/4 into it I said, "this feels like LOST because there way more questions and loose ends than can possibly be wrapped up by the end." And I was right about that. The movements were very corny, but I could get beyond that. Overall, I enjoyed it. I just wish it had been more conclusive.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 AM

I just quit watching 5 episodes in. Didn't really draw me in and I'm not a believer in the supposed spiritual nature of NDEs. I might pick it back up, but really why bother? There so much else to watch coming out all the time.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quit four episodes in, and having read this thread, I'm glad I did. A lot of the show worked for me: the pacing, the dread, the lighting. But the after-death scenes were absolutely terrible cheese, and it felt like that was going to be pivotal to the show. I don't think I could've taken interpretive dance.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Quit four episodes in, and having read this thread, I'm glad I did. A lot of the show worked for me: the pacing, the dread, the lighting. But the after-death scenes were absolutely terrible cheese, and it felt like that was going to be pivotal to the show. I don't think I could've taken interpretive dance.
You should go back and watch the end of ep 5 just for a giggle. Well, a cringe-giggle for sure, but still.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:50 PM

I really enjoyed the show, even though the dance had me cringing. I loved Phyllis Smith.

The show was totally worth watching right up until the end. Then I was so disappointed I wished I'd never even started watching.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:47 PM

Finally ground through it all.

A mildly interesting conceit good for about two hours of narrative, stretched into over eight hours of pretentious, pompous poopery.

With the preposterous notion that these people could be kept captive for seven years (at all) - and basically never change appearance, and their clothes only get mildly ratty. It's way too much to believe. A year, maybe two... okay. Seven? (It's like believing a butthurt Batman disappeared for eight years. Oh... wait...)

Film school foolishness with too big a budget and too small a producer's hand.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Film school foolishness with too big a budget and too small a producer's hand.
QFT
Old 02-08-2017, 11:21 AM

Renewed for season 2: http://deadline.com/2017/02/the-oa-r...ng-1201904857/

I'll watch. I enjoyed season 1 despite some storytelling problems, and I'm interested to see where it goes from here.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Charter Jays Fan

We're two episodes in and we're done. This is genuinely terrible bullshit.

I got a sinking feeling just from the fact that half the credits are Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij, who wrote, directed, star in, and I think catered the show; that screams "ego project." When the five misfits show up in the house to hear a boring story, I was skeptical, and when the little girl goes to the afterlife and is met by a babushka wearing our living room rug in a planetarium I was bemused, and when Prairie/Nina/The OA was kidnapped by a guy who might as well have introduced himself by saying "Hello, I'm Kidnappy McKidnapperson" I was scornful, and when Prairie/Nina/The OA runs from the room at the end of Episode 2 saying "Hhhhhhomer!" with all the hilarious misplaced gravitas of Darth Vader shouting "Noooooooooo" we were laughing in disgust. I'll wait for Stranger Things Season 2 to watch someone try to do Stranger Things again.

Barbarian hit the one right on the head; this is pretentious film-school-meets-Stranger-Things horseshit that only got greenlit because Netflix was willing to give money to ANYONE who promised more Stranger Things success.

I have to stress that the first two episodes are pretty bad, but they're not THAT bad. They aren't as bad as, say, "Wayward Pines," or having your balls shot through with a nail gun. But I can tell it's on a downward slope to Shittytown. It's like being on an airplane and you look out the window and see the engine explode and take the wing with it. At that particular moment, you aren't dead yet, in fact you're perfectly fine and probably will be for a little while longer, but you know where you're going to end up and it's not Gate B27 at Newark-Liberty. This show is headed straight for a long debris-strewn scorch mark in a wheatfield.

I know there's interpretive dance coming at some point, and that seals the deal. You know where interpretive dance is appropriate? Dance shows or music videos, and that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB
In retrospect, my perspective is that the story illustrates the susceptibility of flawed, troubled, lonely, isolated personalities to be enamored with and unquestioningly accept the presence of a powerful personality and vision...a cautionary tale on the development of cults and woo-acceptance. I don't think that was necessarily the writer's intent though.
The thing is, Marling and Batmanglij have already told that story; it was a movie called "Sound of My Voice," in which Brit Marling, of course, plays a young woman who has drawn in a bunch of impressionable people with an elaborate story of supernatural events, stories so powerful they convince people of her legitimacy as a visionary. Sound familiar? I won't tell you if she's legit or not, in case you want to watch it.

Last edited by RickJay; 02-09-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Renewed for season 2: http://deadline.com/2017/02/the-oa-r...ng-1201904857/

I'll watch. I enjoyed season 1 despite some storytelling problems, and I'm interested to see where it goes from here.
I am intrigued. I think it worked as an ambiguous ending, so I'm curious as to what story they are going to tell in Season 2.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Prairie/Nina/The OA was kidnapped by a guy who might as well have introduced himself by saying "Hello, I'm Kidnappy McKidnapperson"
LOL!

I must admit, I kind of liked Wayward Pines (the first season) even though it was absurd in so many ways.

But if you're otherwise out, I would strongly recommend watching another nine minutes of the show, starting at right about the seven minute mark of Episode 6, "The Forking Paths". I'm tempted to say it's a really chilling and well made short film on its own (although it actually throws a wrench in the works in terms of being able to be reconciled with other aspects of the series), but that's not quite right--because it wouldn't really make sense if you didn't have any other experience with the story. I think having seen the first couple episodes is enough to be able to appreciate it, though.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 02-10-2017 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old 02-10-2017, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
We're two episodes in and we're done. This is genuinely terrible bullshit.
Good decision. I watched the whole thing, I enjoy yelling at the screen and rolling my eyes.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:19 PM

Did they ever explain her new name, OA? I wouldn't care otherwise but my Finnish subtitles gave her name as EE instead so I kept on waiting for them to reveal what sort of acronym it is, going through various possibilities that'd be "OA" in English but "EE" in Finnish in my mind. If they ever explained it I must've missed it, though.