Old 09-18-2017, 12:08 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
More ice cream nightmare fuel.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:10 AM

Now that college football is back, we've got that annoying Dr. Pepper vendor ad back on television. Look, you can sponsor the whole CFB playoff and get your name on the trophy, but it doesn't make one person want to drink that rancid swill that you bottle.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Now that college football is back, we've got that annoying Dr. Pepper vendor ad back on television. Look, you can sponsor the whole CFB playoff and get your name on the trophy, but it doesn't make one person want to drink that rancid swill that you bottle.
I don't think much of the ad, but I do drink a ton of Dr Pepper.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I don't think much of the ad, but I do drink a ton of Dr Pepper.
We all have our own tastes, but to me it's like drinking the sweepings off the floor of the spice aisle.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:00 AM

This will take some explaining but trust me, this is a threadwinner.

For many years in the UK, people were sold something called Payment Protection Insurance or PPI, which is
Quote:
an insurance product that enables consumers to ensure repayment of credit if the borrower dies, becomes ill or disabled, loses a job, or faces other circumstances that may prevent them from earning income to service the debt.
Unfortunately, a large percentage of these policies were either grossly missold (i.e. sold in ways that would make claims virtually impossible) or tacked onto other financial products without the knowledge of the customer. As a result, once this was discovered hundreds of thousands of customers were then eligible to claim compensation for the missold products. Unfortunately again, this set the vultures circling and now every household has experienced the joy of coldcalling companies offering to "help them claim for PPI" (usually for the lion's share of the money), which is a massive annoyance.

After a few years of this, the Financial Conduct Authority, one of the UK regulatory bodies, determined that at some point there needed to be a cutoff for claims for PPI (both so that the firms involved could close off the potential liability and so those f&*king calls would stop). But they needed to make sure that any remaining potential claimants would be aware of the deadline so that they could decide once and for all whether they were going to file a claim.

"How," said the FCA, "can we make an advertisement that will be attention-getting, high profile and memorable enough that nobody will be able to say that no one told them about the cutoff date?"

And then they had this idea.. And this one.

Warning: Once seen, these cannot be unseen. Ever.

You're welcome.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I've noted before that drinking (diet) Dr. Pepper can be very helpful when you're trying to quit smoking. It sort of recreates that burn in your chest that you used to get from the cigs. I'm not kidding!
Old 09-18-2017, 09:12 AM

AAAHHHCE COLD buuuuud LIGHT!
Old 09-18-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
I've noted before that drinking (diet) Dr. Pepper can be very helpful when you're trying to quit smoking. It sort of recreates that burn in your chest that you used to get from the cigs. I'm not kidding!
"Diet Dr Pepper - it's just like smoking!"

Doesn't quite work.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
It had me at "Apple: It's Good If You Like CRAP" in the sidebar
Old 09-21-2017, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
OMFG, that's hilarious! But I can see it getting old really quick depending on how often it runs.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
"How," said the FCA, "can we make an advertisement that will be attention-getting, high profile and memorable enough that nobody will be able to say that no one told them about the cutoff date?"

And then they had this idea.. And this one.
I can see I'm going to have to tempt more of you to watch these. But I don't want to spoil them, so let me just say that they feature one of the following:

A) Dame Helen Mirren calmly setting guinea pig after guinea pig ON FIRE.
B) A chorus kickline of naked geriatrics singing "Get Happy".
C) Dick Van Dyke, in his Mary Poppins get-up and horrendous accent, ramming a chimney brush up the backside of one of those PPI coldcallers.
D) The severed head of Arnold Schwarzenegger. On wheels.
E) A man screaming wordlessly and continuously for 30 seconds while subtitles explain the message of the commercial.
F) A Michael Jackson impersonator explaining to a small boy how to claim for PPI mis-selling.

It's definitely one of those.

Last edited by Gyrate; 09-22-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

The Fios commercial with the Peterson's and that fucking annoying bratty asshole kid in it that runs every two minutes here. If I were Peterson or "Peterson's wife" (and the way he says that makes me want to shoot the TV screen), I would run over him.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
The Fios commercial with the Peterson's and that fucking annoying bratty asshole kid in it that runs every two minutes here. If I were Peterson or "Peterson's wife" (and the way he says that makes me want to shoot the TV screen), I would run over him.
Oh god yes. TubiTV has been running that thing every single commercial break. Did they deliberately choose the most annoying kid they could find?

Last edited by davidm; 09-22-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
It's an ad for ice cream, which apparently is supposed to be funny. I don't want to sound like some killjoy with no sense of humor, because that is definitely NOT me, but rather than funny, it's disturbing and offensive.
What the Fudge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
GAH!!!

I never thought I would hate ice cream.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Psh.
From the same company:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZfwdEFl1t4

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJaLU0w5Do4
Old 09-25-2017, 06:31 AM

All these ice cream horror references, and nobody linked to the Squatty Potty one?

I feel so sorry for that actor. This is what his life and career have come to.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I'm sure it was mentioned in the old thread (which I never really followed) but the PuppyMonkeyBaby is back, and I really wish that it was dead.
I managed to not see that abomination after it was aired on the Superbowl, but suddenly it's in heavy ad rotation on Comedy Central.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post

There's a You Tube commercial where someone talks about meeting her SO's parents, where they have set a feast on the table "and you need to bake a kiester casserole." I finally watched it to completion; it's for a product you spray on toilet water to disguise the smell of your poop.
"Well, she's a nice girl, but I don't understand why she left the bathroom smelling like shitrus."

(That ad isn't just on YouTube, sadly.)

(And it's overpriced essential oils.)
Old 09-25-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I can see I'm going to have to tempt more of you to watch these. But I don't want to spoil them, so let me just say that they feature one of the following:

A) Dame Helen Mirren calmly setting guinea pig after guinea pig ON FIRE.
B) A chorus kickline of naked geriatrics singing "Get Happy".
C) Dick Van Dyke, in his Mary Poppins get-up and horrendous accent, ramming a chimney brush up the backside of one of those PPI coldcallers.
D) The severed head of Arnold Schwarzenegger. On wheels.
E) A man screaming wordlessly and continuously for 30 seconds while subtitles explain the message of the commercial.
F) A Michael Jackson impersonator explaining to a small boy how to claim for PPI mis-selling.

It's definitely one of those.
Gyrate, you really need to write adverts. I would watch A, B, C, D, and possibly F.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBunny View Post
Gyrate, you really need to write adverts. I would watch A, B, C, D, and possibly F.
I suspect that for two of those, if proposed, the actor involved would refuse to do it. For the actual advert, the actor in question went for the money. Because MONEY.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:26 AM

There's a promo for "BattleBots" on the Science Channel that includes the phrase "please RSVP". That offends my inner pedant.

Hardly worth mentioning, considering some of the recent entries in this thread.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

"Kiester Casserole"? So they've stopped using "Devil's Donuts"?

Last edited by Jeep's Phoenix; 09-26-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:21 PM

The Lovely Day commercial for American Family Insurance with Jennifer Hudson irks me.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wAlL/america...ennifer-hudson

I guess part of it is my fault for not realizing it was Jennifer Hudson, which I wholly fully admit, but everything around it looks staged and fakey to me. Her jumping in on his song looks like it's supposed to be spontaneous but it looks "off" to me. The crowd reactions looks sweetened as well. Jennifer is a talented singer and looks good here and the guy plays and sings well but that whole "we're making this look like it happened organically" aesthetic is just enough to set me off.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Ain't no way that lady is fitting a cello, a tuba, and two kids who likely require car seats into that little Buick.
Eh, my mom used to fit a golden retriever, 2 small kids and 2 baskets of laundry into a Simca and add the weeks groceries to the trip back home.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:14 PM

Ugh, the NFL and Hyundai were running a really stupid ad yesterday during football where the guy's watching TV and his wife reminds him that they're going to take her parents out in the boat on Sunday. Horrified, he jumps into his Hyundai, drives to the marina, and casts his boat off, so that it won't be around to interrupt his beloved Dolphins game.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Ugh, the NFL and Hyundai were running a really stupid ad yesterday during football where the guy's watching TV and his wife reminds him that they're going to take her parents out in the boat on Sunday. Horrified, he jumps into his Hyundai, drives to the marina, and casts his boat off, so that it won't be around to interrupt his beloved Dolphins game.
And this is at least the second year for that commercial. I hated it last year too.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:35 PM

There is a PSA from fatherhood.org that has a prefect sweet Daddy/daughter moment with Roman Reigns spending time with his daughter. For some unfathomable reason it beings with a female postal carrier walking up and perving on Roman through the window. it is very jarring and seems to have no bearing on the message that they are trying to give about dads spending quality time with their children.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:22 AM

I read two pages of this thread....

There we go, its on right now!!

True car

KILL HIM!! Pick someone else for each commercial would help.

Arent most commercials annoying?

We have a local one about this company where you bid for (garage sale items) online. One of their commercials is about hoarding. To me the woman who is part owner is very offensive looking. Of course that is me.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Just so you know, not everyone has the same size "pages" in a thread (you can set the number of posts per page) so I have no idea what commercial is "on right now!!"
Old 10-06-2017, 06:50 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

One that's running multiple times per break around here is, I think for xfinity, that shows families thru the ages having dinner together and talking, until today when they're all sitting there on their devices till Mom comes in and pauses the network.

Apart from being sick of seeing this ad over and over and over and over, when did parents abdicate their responsibility to teach table manners and common courtesy?!?!? A simple "Put your phones away" is cheaper than subscribing to a network that you can turn off. And, for that matter, I can turn off our wireless router at will anyway.

I still hate that commercial.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

There's a really annoying local bail bonds commercial that has a frenetic voice chanting "Get me out quick! Get me out quick! Get me out, get me out, get me out quick!" The only redeeming quality about it is that the voice reminds me of Roberto the insane robot from Futurama.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

There's some horrid ad running now - I think it's for an insurance company? - where a woman suggests to her husband (as he's looking through the fridge) that they spend the bonus check they earned from said company on a gym membership, poking at a non-existant fat roll on his back as she exits the scene. He looks down in shame as the commercial ends.

Also, someone should let the apparently all-male marketing team at Carefree know that a period cannot be "held in". That's about the worst wording I've seen in a feminine products ad since "have a happy period".
Old 10-06-2017, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Just so you know, not everyone has the same size "pages" in a thread (you can set the number of posts per page) so I have no idea what commercial is "on right now!!"
One of these.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Well I wasnt asking anyone to look at the tv! You wouldnt even knew what channel I was on. I think, I, would have, announced the channel, so, everyone, could get immediately to their tv, to watch
Old 10-07-2017, 12:10 PM

Wow. We cut the cord last year, and we live out in the middle of nowhere, so mostly all we can get with an antenna is public TV. I don't know most of the commercials mentioned here, and I am thrilled down to my toes that I don't have to watch all this intelligence-insulting dreck.
Thanks for reminding me that we really don't want to pay for TV again.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:20 PM

Discover Card commercial, guy is calling while digging through the fridge, hears about knowing your credit score. He finds a package of sushi, dated five days ago, and he puts it back in the fridge!
Old 10-23-2017, 12:38 AM

There's a HORRIBLE new commercial - I think it's for Geico - where a band is playing, and a guy jumps up and starts banging on a triangle. It would be OK for, say, 5 seconds, but it just goes on....and on......and on........

I'll take "Puppy monkey baby" over this any day of the year.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:52 AM

Geico's ads are uniformly ridiculous. And I hear they're not such a great insurance company either.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/geico.htm
Old 10-23-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
I hear they're not such a great insurance company either.
They're not so bad, as long they don't start thinking the client has made too many claims and/or used their free roadside service too often.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
There's a HORRIBLE new commercial - I think it's for Geico - where a band is playing, and a guy jumps up and starts banging on a triangle. It would be OK for, say, 5 seconds, but it just goes on....and on......and on........

I like this one. I hate the 70 pound girl who's getting all these photos done of her. I don't ever remember what they're selling.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
One that's running multiple times per break around here is, I think for xfinity, that shows families thru the ages having dinner together and talking, until today when they're all sitting there on their devices till Mom comes in and pauses the network.

Apart from being sick of seeing this ad over and over and over and over, when did parents abdicate their responsibility to teach table manners and common courtesy?!?!? A simple "Put your phones away" is cheaper than subscribing to a network that you can turn off. And, for that matter, I can turn off our wireless router at will anyway.

I still hate that commercial.
That's a common advertising fantasy. Peggy on 'Mad Men' proposed a baked bean commercial with moms serving kids beans through the ages - cave dwellers to futuristic space people.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I like this one. I hate the 70 pound girl who's getting all these photos done of her. I don't ever remember what they're selling.
She looks like a creepy, emaciated alien, trying to Learn Our Ways. Takes all kinds, I suppose.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:07 PM

The commercial for Axe Body Spray (I think) where the guy is feeling his armpit to see if it's still dry and the voice over woman says "Stop it, that's weird"

Every time I wish he would roll his eyes and walk off screen when she says that (but he never does).
Old 10-23-2017, 03:56 PM

The family is playing with a Frisbee and their dachshund is too short to jump. So they hurl the Frisbee a bazillion miles away, jump in their minivan and go driving after it, to pull into a stadium, open the hatchback, and the dog goes running across the roof and up off the hatchback to grab the Frisbee in the air. And the crowd cheers. Okay, I'll accept the desire to let the dog get cheered by a huge crowd, and I'll accept the million mile throw, and the driving after it and making it to the stadium in time and all that. But, how does the dog jump up onto the front of the minivan?
Old 10-23-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
You mean the one discussed midway down this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
She looks like a creepy, emaciated alien, trying to Learn Our Ways. Takes all kinds, I suppose.
I think she looks sort of like a creepy, emaciated Kirsten Dunst.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 10-23-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Triangle solo!

I laughed.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Or the lead singer of The Cranberries, Dolores O'Riordan. In fact, for a moment I thought it was her in the ad until I realized she's now in her 40s and no longer has that extremely short haircut.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 10-23-2017, 11:21 PM

While reading the paper earlier today, I heard (but thankfully did not see, yet) an ad for Fleet's Enemas.

I can't be the only person who thinks this is aimed at the opiate-addict crowd, because severe constipation is a side-effect of chronic opiate use.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:

Yep, that's the one.

You don't see it too often, but there's a Preparation H commercial shot in the town of Kiester. Who under 75 has ever used the word "kiester"? Yeah, I've heard of it. From Ronald Reagan. In the 1980s.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:05 AM

I understand the "dawww" effect of the Trident Gum commercials, but I HAAAAATE that song. The drawling beginning and her annoying voice. I barely know the words because my ears immediately bleed.

mmmmmddddrraaawwwwwifffyourrrr IIIII caaaannnn't help....faalllliing in looooooooveeee wiiiiittthhhh youuuuuuuu
Old 10-24-2017, 08:44 PM
BANNED

This isn't about a particular commercial: we just started paying the slightly additional fee to HULU to not get commercials. The first thing we access--"New Girl"--has a disclaimer: Due to streaming restrictions, there will be a commercial at the start and conclusion of the show. WTF?