Old 07-23-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I remember there was a steep hill right by the New England Turnpike. In the winter we used to sled down it and see who could stop closest to the road.

No parent in their right mind would let their children do that today.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Yesterday the thought occurred to me that many people alive today will ring in the year 2100.

My jaw just dropped.
Being the 65 year old parent of a 12 year old boy, I've almost gotten used to that notion. But yeah, sometimes it crosses my mind that the Firebug would be 93 on January 1, 2101* - the first day of the 22nd Century. And it hits me: 22nd Century?! That's serious SF territory even now.

*"In A.D. 2101, war was beginning."
Old 07-23-2019, 11:11 AM

Looking at the hot, young girls at the pool and then realizing you are looking at the mothers of the hot, young girls at the pool.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:41 AM

The one that keeps getting me is the oldies station playing "Smooth" by Santana and Rob Thomas.

That album came out after my first marriage ended, and I was old enough to enjoy the oldies stations as much as the pop stations.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:29 PM

How about when you go to the grocery store and on the Muzak (is it still called that?) you hear the songs of your high school and college years by the original artists??
Old 07-23-2019, 01:19 PM

I grew up in Orange County, California, when there were still orange groves in Orange County (lots of them) and when you went to a restaurant and ordered OJ you got unlimited free refills.

On cold nights (I think below 50F) you could see people warming the orange groves up with smudge pots.

When I first started playing tennis the racquets were wooden and the balls were white, as were my tennis clothes and my Jack Purcell sneaks. (So were most of the players, but not all of them; my first racquets had Althea Gibson's signature on them. I don't think I knew then that she was black, but I knew later and thought, good for her, she got at least one endorsement, hopefully that wasn't the only one.) You would get some dirty looks if you showed up to practice wearing, say, cutoff jeans.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:51 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
I remember there was a steep hill right by the New England Turnpike. In the winter we used to sled down it and see who could stop closest to the road.

No parent in their right mind would let their children do that today.
Not a parent but ---- luckily for me most of my family isn't in its right mind. We still keep an old car at the farm (with no doors or trunk lid) that the kids can use to run around - even down to one of the other cousins on the same road. And I'm talking maybe starting at age 8. Any of the kids who want to know how to work the forge by say age 12. And we'll still send a pack of 4-8 kids to roam around together without any of us being around; even down the "big city". Really dangerous things on sleds are mostly us; our kids are smarter than we are.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
How about when you go to the grocery store and on the Muzak (is it still called that?) you hear the songs of your high school and college years by the original artists??
At grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. around here, I never know if I'm going to hear music over the sound system from the 1960s, the 2010s, or somewhere in between.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:48 PM

When I was a kid you weren't allowed in our swimming pool (Army Navy Country Club) without a bathing cap if your hair was longer than chin length. Rumour had it this was actually to embarrass the young boys into keeping their hair short, and had nothing at all to do with the filtration equipment as claimed by the management. Good God I hated those rubber caps and begged my mother to cut my hair off. But of course, short hair on a girl was unthinkable until the blessed St. Dorothy of Hamill freed us all.

Last edited by TruCelt; 07-23-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:57 AM

I feel old when I realize:

Members of the Class of 2020 weren't born yet when 9/11 happened.

An increasing percentage of teens have never heard a busy signal.

People younger than I am complain they're old.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnad View Post
Looking at the hot, young girls at the pool and then realizing you are looking at the mothers of the hot, young girls at the pool.
Looking at a Victoria's Secret ad, and thinking, "In about 10 or 20 years, she's going to be really hot."
Old 07-24-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Carl Yastrzemski's grandson is a professional baseball player? His grandson?

That's it. I am ancient.
Saw this the other day and thought the same thing.

Last night I was scanning some photos and came across a pic that my mother took of a place we had lived in long before. It's the first place that I remember. So I went to Google Maps ... erp, no street view for that place. Then Bing maps. Oh, they have street view. Didn't have an address but it's a small town and I knew what area it was in. Couldn't find it. Then I started looking for the retaining wall out front. Yep, that's still there. But a newer house now. So that's officially just a memory now.

Checked Zillow for what they had on it. Wrong, as usual. The description clearly fits the new house but they say it was built in 1900.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
We had a milkman that came and dropped off milk in glass bottles with paper caps. We had a little insulated metal box on the porch for the milk.
When I was about four we had our milk delivered by Carnation but there wasn't an insulated box. The milkman would put a metal carrier with room for four quart bottles on the porch and take away the one with the empties. You just had to bring in the milk before it got too warm.

There was a pack of stiff cardboard cards about 5x1 inch held by a rivet on one end and they were color coded with a giant letter also in color for various products, white with a blue 'S' for a pint of sour cream, for example. The idea was if you wanted something in addition to your usual order, you'd stick the pack in an empty bottle with the appropriate one sticking up so they guy could see it from his truck and carry everything in one trip.

I couldn't read yet but discovered, perhaps by experimentation, that the tan card with a brown 'C' would yield a quart of chocolate milk being left. At the end of the month the bill arrived including about three quarts of the chocolate milk that had been left. Mom complained to the milkman. "I thought they were samples."

"But you ordered them."

"No, I didn't."

Both of them turned to look at The Kid. I don't remember being punished, specifically, but I was told quite emphatically not to do that again.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
When I was about four we had our milk delivered by Carnation but there wasn't an insulated box. The milkman would put a metal carrier with room for four quart bottles on the porch and take away the one with the empties. You just had to bring in the milk before it got too warm.

There was a pack of stiff cardboard cards about 5x1 inch held by a rivet on one end and they were color coded with a giant letter also in color for various products, white with a blue 'S' for a pint of sour cream, for example. The idea was if you wanted something in addition to your usual order, you'd stick the pack in an empty bottle with the appropriate one sticking up so they guy could see it from his truck and carry everything in one trip.

I couldn't read yet but discovered, perhaps by experimentation, that the tan card with a brown 'C' would yield a quart of chocolate milk being left. At the end of the month the bill arrived including about three quarts of the chocolate milk that had been left. Mom complained to the milkman. "I thought they were samples."

"But you ordered them."

"No, I didn't."

Both of them turned to look at The Kid. I don't remember being punished, specifically, but I was told quite emphatically not to do that again.

You were a clever little bugger, weren't you?
Old 07-24-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

You get the joke when a poster refers to manhattan as "the fucking hall monitor."
Old 07-24-2019, 01:18 PM

Last week at work I was surfing the internet for vacation ideas, checking out what shows and events will be in Vegas in the coming months. I remarked out loud, "Oh, Donny & Marie are playing Vegas!"

My 23-year-old co-worker asked, "Who are Donny and Marie?"

OK, no big deal in and of itself; the Osmonds aren't in the public eye as much as they once were. So I found a clip on YouTube from their old TV show - an elaborate song-and-dance number, with backup dancers and the whole bit. My co-worker marveled at the clothes, the hairstyles, the music, and even the dancing ("Those moves! People actually danced like that back then?").

When it was over, he shook his head and said, "I feel sorry for your generation."
Old 07-24-2019, 02:57 PM

I have a new one - you know those listicles that say "This is the ______ on the year you were born"?

I just looked at one of those and the list started 3 years after I was born.

C'mon, I want to know what the worst dress worn at the Oscars the year I was born looked like!

Last edited by Zyada; 07-24-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:51 PM

There are presidential candidates younger than me.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post

There was a bad moment this year going to the 50th anniversary re-release of Yellow Submarine and reflected that I saw it during its initial release.
I didn't see the movie in re-release, but I did see it back in 1969.

I still have the companion paperback book.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2019, 10:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
There's another one for me -- there were only 48 states when I was born.
Same here, but I was way too young to be aware of AK and HI joining the union, when it happened.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Prank phone calls. Nowadays, you can't really call a number and ask if their refrigerator is running or if they have Prince Albert in a can. Rotten caller ID.
I never did hear the one about a refrigerator. How did the punchline go?

Old 07-25-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
I never did hear the one about a refrigerator. How did the punchline go?
"Is your refrigerator running? Well then you'd better go catch it before it gets away".(slams phone receiver down on the hook and laughs out loud at the wildly funny and original joke).
Old 07-26-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

You were a clever little bugger, weren't you?
Guess I shouldn't mention, then, the time I climbed onto the counter, rummaged around the back of an upper shelf, and came across a bar of baking chocolate. Again, I couldn't read but I knew what a brown wrapper with silver letters contained. Didn't taste like what I was expecting at all.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Yesterday, I went to a reunion of the Quarter Century Club- guys who worked in my profession for 25 years. It is more commonly known as a booze up. Few less faces, less hair and talk about those of us who have popped their clogs. The guys there included Vietnam veterans, folks from the old Narcotics Bureau to clerks. Convivial meeting. However some years agot we would have been going at 10 pm. Yesterday we were all gone before 3 pm.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Guess I shouldn't mention, then, the time I climbed onto the counter, rummaged around the back of an upper shelf, and came across a bar of baking chocolate. Again, I couldn't read but I knew what a brown wrapper with silver letters contained. Didn't taste like what I was expecting at all.
So I guess you never ate a package of Ex-Lax thinking it was chocolate candy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Yesterday, I went to a reunion of the Quarter Century Club- guys who worked in my profession for 25 years. It is more commonly known as a booze up. Few less faces, less hair and talk about those of us who have popped their clogs. The guys there included Vietnam veterans, folks from the old Narcotics Bureau to clerks. Convivial meeting. However some years agot we would have been going at 10 pm. Yesterday we were all gone before 3 pm.
Ouch!
Old 07-26-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Was p.o.'d today when the bus I was taking stopped so often to pick up and let off passengers that the bus due after us passed us; and people were STILL crowding onto my bus, as I thought, "like it's the last helicopter out of Saigon". Only to realize how few people would get that now.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:38 PM

I'm reminded every time someone offers me a senior discount without asking for my ID.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
Was p.o.'d today when the bus I was taking stopped so often to pick up and let off passengers that the bus due after us passed us; and people were STILL crowding onto my bus, as I thought, "like it's the last helicopter out of Saigon". Only to realize how few people would get that now.
I said that around the turn of the millennium, and there were people then who didn't get it. Although some did.

Last edited by Rilchiam; 07-26-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

When you start a thread that has 862,159 views, 3319 responses, and has lasted for over 10 years, you are ancient!

Isn't it obvious?

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 07-27-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So I guess you never ate a package of Ex-Lax thinking it was chocolate candy?

Ouch!
Nope. Doesn't look like a Hershey bar or I mighta.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I went to a trivia game last night, couple of hundred folks there. The audio category was playing music from the seventies, and you had to name the band or singer. I looked around an noticed all the gray haired people singing along enthusiastically. Just like I was, as I turn sixty-five in December.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Having co-workers who are 1/3 my age.

Remembering when new flags had more stars than old ones.

The "half your age plus seven" rule says most movie stars are off limits, but your own kids are fair game.

Punch cards and paper tape.

Taking all the tubes to the shop and using the tube tester.

Kerosene lamps that looked like cartoon bombs lined up along the road to close a lane.

Job Control Language if the computer was shared, CP/M if it wasn't.

If a car had safety belts, they were stowed in little spring clips above the doors.

Dashboards were painted metal.

Cars did have chokes but didn't have windshield washers.

Three on the tree.

Double clutching.

Seams in the middle of windshields.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:40 PM

Baker's chocolate is not that bad. Not that good if you're expecting an actual candy bar, but I've been known to nibble a spare square or two.

----------------

On July 2nd, I was in the hair salon, and the stylist asked about my plans for the 4th. I told her, and added that I hoped the hostess would not put the D.C. celebration on the TV like she'd done the last time I'd been at her house for the 4th. "I don't need to see the Beach Boys perform, or I should say embarrass themselves, at the National Mall again. Mike Love's voice is shot; can he really not hear himself?"

Her: "...Who are the Beach Boys?"

Me: "[thumbnail explanation] I guess someone thinks they're the Quintessential American Band. I'unno; who would you say is the ultimate American band? The Eagles, maybe? Van Halen? Creedence?"

Her: "[silence]"

Me: mortified.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
There are presidential candidates younger than me.
There have been 4 presidents younger than me.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:35 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Yesterday the thought occurred to me that many people alive today will ring in the year 2100.

My jaw just dropped.
I fully expect to be there myself. Or die trying.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

I was sitting next to a couple at a bar, in their late twenties, very early thirties. They were talking about clothes and the woman was explaining what a bustle is.

Him: But could you puta bustle in a hedgerow?

Her: What? That doesn't make sense!

Him: It's a line from a Led Zepplin song.

Her: Another one of your obscure 80s bands?

I got it printed in "Overheard in DC."
Old 07-28-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
Kerosene lamps that looked like cartoon bombs lined up along the road to close a lane.
Ooh, I remember those.

How about little "Stop" things embedded in the road. The were designed to bend over or slide down when you "accidentally" run over them.

Or when a lot of stop signs were yellow and/or round.

Then the year-tags on license plates that were metal with tabs. You put the tabs in the slots on the plate and bent the tabs to hold them on.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
If a car had safety belts, they were stowed in little spring clips above the doors.
I remember my father installing seatbelts. A family friend had been killed on being ejected through the windshield so he was an early adapter. The next auto he bought had to have the belts installed as a DIY project as well. He was delighted to find the manufacturer had installed anchors under the back seat so he didn't have to mess around with fender washers and bolts that might or might not have been strong enough. The buckles gripped the webbing with spring-loaded teeth -- none of this metal-to-metal stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
Baker's chocolate is not that bad. Not that good if you're expecting an actual candy bar, but I've been known to nibble a spare square or two.
Sure, as an adult I've indulged in bars as high as 87% and even sampled 90. As a four-year old, I was disappointed.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
In addition to unsweetened you can get bittersweet, semisweet and even sweetened baking chocolate. The latter is handy if for example you're going hiking or camping in hot weather; less likely to turn into soup.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:15 AM

At work, they sent out questionnaires for the next Meet 'n' Greet, and asked if you had encountered anybody famous. I said I had gotten an email from Rodney Dangerfield.

When the hostess read my answer, she added "For those of you who aren't familiar, Rodney Dangerfield was a famous comedian."

I don't get no respect.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:14 AM

Seeing attractive people and thinking, I wouldn't have a chance with them because I am too old for them.
(note: I once dated a 42 year old guy when I was 58)
Old 07-29-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
(note: I once dated a 42 year old guy when I was 58)
My husband is exactly 20 years younger than I am.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
On July 2nd, I was in the hair salon, and the stylist asked about my plans for the 4th. I told her, and added that I hoped the hostess would not put the D.C. celebration on the TV like she'd done the last time I'd been at her house for the 4th. "I don't need to see the Beach Boys perform, or I should say embarrass themselves, at the National Mall again. Mike Love's voice is shot; can he really not hear himself?"

Her: "...Who are the Beach Boys?"
I was on a flight once from Florida to Indianapolis. There were two young ladies, about 15 or so, in the seats next to me. This was a fairly short flight, so there wasn't time for a movie; instead, the in-flight entertainment was just a sitcom episode and a few music videos.

One of the videos was The Beatles doing "I Want to Hold Your Hand" on the Ed Sullivan Show. One of the girls sitting next to me turned to the other, and asked, "Who is that?"

Her friend said, very knowledgeably, "I'm pretty sure those are the Beach Boys."

Okay, they're young, it was before their time. But wouldn't the fact that it said "The Beatles" in great big letters on Ringo's bass drum give you some kind of clue?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

I once saw a young guy wear a cap with Oklahoma City on it. I told him I liked the tribute. considering what happened there. He asked, in all seriousness "What happened there?"

What do they teach in history class these days?
Old 07-29-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I go to more funerals than weddings.
There are some friends I only meet now at funerals.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:07 PM

I'm so old, I remember when Michael Jackson was a poor black man. He died a rich white woman.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
I was on a flight once from Florida to Indianapolis. There were two young ladies, about 15 or so, in the seats next to me. This was a fairly short flight, so there wasn't time for a movie; instead, the in-flight entertainment was just a sitcom episode and a few music videos.

One of the videos was The Beatles doing "I Want to Hold Your Hand" on the Ed Sullivan Show. One of the girls sitting next to me turned to the other, and asked, "Who is that?"

Her friend said, very knowledgeably, "I'm pretty sure those are the Beach Boys."

Okay, they're young, it was before their time. But wouldn't the fact that it said "The Beatles" in great big letters on Ringo's bass drum give you some kind of clue?
You know, there's being young, and then there's being plain ignorant. I'd say those two, the guy who didn't know what happened in Oklahoma City, and the woman who thought Led Zeppelin was an "obscure 80s band" fall into the latter category. Some things are such cultural touchstones that if someone is completely unaware of them, they are probably willfully unaware of most of pop culture and history.

I can't name one song that Billie Holiday was known for. But I know who she was (and that she was a woman!). Everyone can't have encyclopedic knowledge of everything, but some things are just part of the collective consciousness. There's a movie out right now about the Beatles, or rather their absence. Zeppelin is, if nothing else, part of the stoner stereotype. The OKC bombing was one of many domestic terrorism incidents, and it gets brought up every time another one happens. If someone is ignorant of these things, they must be keeping themselves ignorant.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
You know, there's being young, and then there's being plain ignorant. I'd say those two, the guy who didn't know what happened in Oklahoma City, and the woman who thought Led Zeppelin was an "obscure 80s band" fall into the latter category. Some things are such cultural touchstones that if someone is completely unaware of them, they are probably willfully unaware of most of pop culture and history.

I can't name one song that Billie Holiday was known for. But I know who she was (and that she was a woman!). Everyone can't have encyclopedic knowledge of everything, but some things are just part of the collective consciousness. There's a movie out right now about the Beatles, or rather their absence. Zeppelin is, if nothing else, part of the stoner stereotype. The OKC bombing was one of many domestic terrorism incidents, and it gets brought up every time another one happens. If someone is ignorant of these things, they must be keeping themselves ignorant.
Sometimes I try to convince myself that the girl was being sarcastic--making fun of her friend for not recognizing the Beatles (or being able to read the obvious clue on the drum!)--but based on her tone, I really don't think so.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
I'm so old, I remember when Michael Jackson was a poor black man. He died a rich white woman.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:03 PM

My sister is 2 years older than me, and she graduated from high school in 1969. Her class had their 50 year reunion this spring.

As we were talking about her reunion, I brought up the fact that when she graduated, the class that had their 50th reunion that year was the Class of 1919.

That was a sobering thought.