Old 07-10-2019, 11:01 AM

I'm bumping this because I just listened to a song that has one of the mistakes that made it into the recording (I mentioned I like finding these recorded mistakes). Older rock has a lot of them because of the difficulties of analog, tape and the smaller number of tracks available: Things like hearing a guitar fuzz box stepped on, a cough, flubbed notes, unintentional feedback, etc. It's more rare to find them in recent recordings. Here is an example of a modern one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSfTdzoO4ic

Modest Mouse "Missed the Boat". Right after the 22 second mark there is a squeal which I assume is from one of the violin bows.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Little vibrating/echoing bits in 'Rock the Casbah' (the Clash) - and where the lyrics go 'the king called out his jet fighters' and you hear...well, I guess the sound of jet fighters.

'Another One Bites the Dust' (Queen) - that vibrating reverberating sound after the 'clap claps' - sounds like an old fashioned sound effect of someone shaking a big sheet of metal, though I'm sure it's done with guitars and amps and such was were in vogue at that time.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Things like hearing a guitar fuzz box stepped on, a cough, flubbed notes, unintentional feedback, etc. It's more rare to find them in recent recordings.
I've got two of those.

In Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah" - it's subtle but in the middle of his gentle finger picking at about 2:36 there's one PLONK note that just doesn't fit, like he hooked a fingernail or something.

Another, more noticeable, is in Joey Landreth's "Still Feel Gone," at about 1:32, similarly, in the middle of some gentle strumming/picking, a rogue SQUAWK note, that I love.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:14 PM

Keeping this going, I'm reminded of what I always imagined was a beer bottle being knocked to the floor by a drunken Replacements member, in Talent Show. It might be something else, but that would be fitting.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 07-10-2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-10-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I am also a huge fan of the second guitar solo in "Dogs" by Pink Floyd
I too am a sucker for double-tracked guitar solos. See also the solo arouynd 2:20 in The Allman Brothers's Blue Sky.

Last edited by breezman; 07-10-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
I've got two of those.

In Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah" - it's subtle but in the middle of his gentle finger picking at about 2:36 there's one PLONK note that just doesn't fit, like he hooked a fingernail or something.

Another, more noticeable, is in Joey Landreth's "Still Feel Gone," at about 1:32, similarly, in the middle of some gentle strumming/picking, a rogue SQUAWK note, that I love.
Yes, that's what I'm talking about! I've heard the stray note in the Buckley cover but never heard the Landreth song. That's a definite stray note as well.

Another one is Keef jumping in a bit too early around the 2:33 mark of Satisfaction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrIPxlFzDi0
Old 07-10-2019, 08:49 PM

There's great bit in Dreams by the Cranberries. I'm not even sure what you call that in the background...ululating?
Old 07-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

In The Doors Live at the Hollywood Bowl: the bit where Jim Morrison burps during When The Music's Over.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:27 AM

Had to bump again for another Beatles attack.

By no means uncommon, the catchy little guitar hook leading into a first chorus was nailed quite well by The Fabs, like in the following two examples:

Just after the final "yeah" in She Loves You.

This one leading into the second verse of "Filling a Hole".

I know there's tons more of these particular examples - cool if anyone can come up with any more.

The quiet, somewhat jazzy bass break in I'm Only Sleeping (heh and John's breathy "yeeeeaaahh")

A couple things in "Revolution 1":

The extra note (or two?) they throw in at the end of that measure.

Weird guitar peels starting at around 3:39 that kinda remind me of a particular Star Trek sound effect.

In "I Dig a Pony" - the groovy jams bookending the song, and John's hoarse, impassioned "I told you so!"

As mentioned in another thread, the sublime harmonizing in "If I (Norman) Fell"

The 'slightly ahead' guitar strum kicking in after the acapella beginning of "Nowhere Man".

manoman what an amazing fricking band they were - could probably come up with yet another screed post like this.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:17 PM

In Santanas cover of "She's Not There" he is trading riffs with the various percussionists. In one, he does this quick Cat-Scream with the guitar that makes me go "yeah!"
Old 08-05-2019, 08:21 PM

Mick's opening Oh yyyyeeaaahhh!" at the beginning of the Stones' rambunctious, awesome "Rocks Off". Love the brass section in this too.

A couple things from "You Can't Always Get Want You Wanted":

Charlie's funky, extended drum fills and Nicky Hopkins's blistering piano, here.

The snazzy guiro at the beginning of Gimme Shelter". (Following what may well be one of the coolest tremolo/reverb-laden guitar openings ever)

A couple more Beatles thingies:

The TIT-TIT-TIT-TIT backing vocals in "Girl" (ya gotta love how John sucks in air at the beginning of that)

Also the "frere jacques" backing vox in "Paperback Writer".

Maybe their most bad-ass lick? Tearing it up in "I Got A Feeling". (and Ringo's fill coming out of it)
Old 08-06-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Another great opening is the harmonica solo of Piano Man. I always have to stop and listen to this, the intro to the best barroom song ever written.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarisse McClellan View Post
Tom Petty's Free Fallin'

Opening guitar riff but also "All the vampires walkin through the valley
Move west down Ventura Boulevard"

I look forward to the harmony in "Ventura Boulevard" every time.
I came here to post exactly that! Something about it .. I just have to join in.

Sting, Fortress Around Your Heart: I love the chromatic changes going from verse to chorus, "walking on the mines I've laid AND IF I built a fortress..."

I'm willing to sit through all 14 minutes of Peter Frampton's "Do You Feel Like We Do?" just for the breakdown, into the guitar solo.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:14 PM

Forgot to mention about "Gimme Shelter" - there's a very definitive piano note that, for me, totally sets the grave tone of the song, and is exactly at :33, then :37, then :41

In the Beatles Piggies, one of the porcine little buggers gets musical with a two-note contribution at 1:30

In Old Brown Shoe - how the piano keeps pushing the beat along (playing "ahead", almost?) And a lot of the bass work - in the middle of the verses ("For you sweet top lip I'm in the queue / Baby, I'm in love with you"), and speedily bouncing along during the refrains ("If I grow up I'll be a singer") - darned amazing.

In Janis's "Take Another Little Piece of My Heart", that sliding guitar riff right after "Take it!"
Old 08-18-2019, 09:02 PM

Missed edit window by lots

Speaking of sliding riffs

Bob Fripp (Thela hun Ginjeet) at 5:42...5:45...5:49...

old band of mine from '91 covering Jerk Ward's UFO at :37...:46...:55...1:05 (more of a pick-scrape)

Talking Heads' Warning Sign at 1:24 and 1:26...and then 1:32 and 1:34...

Yes - The Fish - wobbly bass slide, which I think was more of a studio gimmick, part of which involved waving the long guitar cable around like a skipping rope.
At 4:05...4:15...4:27...
Old 08-19-2019, 02:49 AM

A little flourish during a guitar solo, here at 6:22 seconds into, "It's a Long Way There", by The Little River Band.