Old 08-11-2019, 11:58 PM

Agreed. We haven't seen any Canada's doing weird things because of a fertility crisis. On a side note I'm at Fierte Montreal now and kinda wonder what Pride celebrations are like in this world. I can picture the Waterfords being burned in effigy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksiaman View Post
One line delivered by June also implied the children could also be seen as a commodity of value to Canada.
Declining births is a global issue in this world, right? Not just a Gilead and Mexico issue.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:05 AM

Looking ahead to next season, refusing to return 50+ stolen children in an essentially childless world could be considered an act of war.

Gilead apparently controls most of the continental US with the exception of the Chicago area, plus much of the west coast and gulf coast. (And Texas, because of course Texas told them to fuck off.) I think that means Gilead has pretty much all the nukes. And they've already used nukes on their "own" soil during the revolution, so it's a real threat that they could nuke parts of Canada in retaliation.

It's doubtful anyone in Europe or Asia would be interested in a nuclear conflict with Gilead over what amounts to a local dispute, and they've all already embargoed Gilead anyway so there doesn't seem to be much more pressure anyone else could bring to bear.

Canada has a pretty decent military force. From what we've seen in the show, my impression is that Canada might be able to wipe the floor with Gilead in a conventional war. But Gilead has how many hundreds (thousands?) of nukes ready to go? With the stolen children in Toronto, Gilead could threaten to flatten Quebec unless they're returned. What could Canada or anyone else do in that case except meekly return the kids?

In any case, I'm looking forward to the fallout (no pun intended) next season. The anguish and fury of the Gileadians will be delicious, but their retribution against the Marthas and Handmaids involved in the conspiracy could end up being unspeakable. Not to mention that their investigation into the conspiracy could rival the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
My opinion: this show has gone from one of the best serial dramas on TV to one of the worst, in just two seasons (that has to be some kind of record.) The tight writing, gripping plots, sharp direction and editing, stark and dramatic lighting and composition, all of it, are gone - replaced by tedious, asinine contrivances that are either too boring or too confusing, all apparently shot using a camera with a dusty pillowcase draped over it.

There was one moment and one moment only, where a bit of the old HT poked through: the sequence where June/Offred in Martha disguise walks through the city street leading to the laundry area, where she is told that handmaids are not allowed (because of chemicals in the air, presumably risking their childbearing ability) and we see a brief glimpse of the industrial workers of Gilead. That's what I want to see on the show - world-building, immersion, a sense of Gilead being a real place inhabited by real people and not just an abstract notion of oppressive dystopia peopled by the same handful of characters in every scene. I want to see the laundry workers of Gilead, I want to see the janitors, I want to see the barracks where the soldiers live, I want to see the scientists who work on whatever scientific shit they need, I want to see the guys who design the propaganda banners that will be displayed on the street - and so on.

I know that there are primary protagonists and antagonists who need to be the focus of the story, but there is still room for the other stuff too. Or, rather, there WOULD be room, if the directors exercised a little bit of judicious editing for economy of scene and story. Not every scene with dialog needs to have three second pauses between the lines. Not every shot of characters doing something dramatic needs to be in slow motion. Many of the scenes in the first episode of this new season could have been half as short and equally effective. They're wasting precious minutes of the show by running down the clock with bloated filler.

I've also seen just about enough of Bradley Whitford's character, Lawrence. We get it, the guy is sarcastic and aloof. As it is, he's practically channeling Bill Murray as Steve Zissou in The Life Aquatic every time he finishes a sentence, like we've got to be hit over the head with the fact that he's a real quirky character. Enough! The Waterfords have also just about worn out their welcome, their overwrought personae are becoming one-dimensional and tedious.

Get it together, Hulu.
I don't think it's the worst show now, but I do agree it's gone way down hill after a great opening season. Season 2 was OK, season 3 is tolerable. The acting is still strong, but the writing and story arcs make it hard to suspend disbelief.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Canada has a pretty decent military force. From what we've seen in the show, my impression is that Canada might be able to wipe the floor with Gilead in a conventional war. But Gilead has how many hundreds (thousands?) of nukes ready to go?
We have barely seen anything relating to this on the show, and it's one of my complaints - we've seen approximately 8,279 minutes of people mumbling in dark rooms and tight close-ups of Elizabeth Moss's grimacing face, but I don't think we've seen 60 continuous seconds discussing Gilead's military capability at all (maybe because the writers lack the ability to explain how a small cult of religious whackadoodles was able to hijack the greatest military force on the planet which has thousands of highly educated and eminently sane officers who would never in a million years go along with their plan.) Nonetheless, it would still be interesting to have some expository world-building as regards Gilead's military. But nah, we apparently don't deserve to see that.

I think that Joseph Fiennes is going to spend the rest of his life kicking himself that he wasted so much time with this show.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
We have barely seen anything relating to this on the show, and it's one of my complaints - we've seen approximately 8,279 minutes of people mumbling in dark rooms and tight close-ups of Elizabeth Moss's grimacing face, but I don't think we've seen 60 continuous seconds discussing Gilead's military capability at all (maybe because the writers lack the ability to explain how a small cult of religious whackadoodles was able to hijack the greatest military force on the planet which has thousands of highly educated and eminently sane officers who would never in a million years go along with their plan.) Nonetheless, it would still be interesting to have some expository world-building as regards Gilead's military. But nah, we apparently don't deserve to see that.

I think that Joseph Fiennes is going to spend the rest of his life kicking himself that he wasted so much time with this show.
Will you be watching next season - after so many hours and so many complaints?
Old 08-15-2019, 05:56 PM

yes
Old 08-17-2019, 12:39 AM

I finally got around to watching this, at JFK about to go overseas for work. I'm tired, but holy fuck. The opening scene was the most fucked up Naziesque thing we've seen on the show. Not much mystery what happened to the disabled women. At least June got the children out. Did she kill Cmdr Lawerence too? I had to stop and run to a different gate at one point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

No, Joseph Lawrence is staying to clean up the mess he made. I’m assuming June will go underground now, since she will be executed on sight at this point?

Commander Waterford throwing Serena under the bus was interesting, and it serves her right - she is a war criminal as much as her husband.

Last edited by Cat Whisperer; Yesterday at 10:23 PM.