Old 06-20-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Mork & Mindy - Mork Meets Robin Williams

Quote:

Orson: I thought all stars were rich, live in mansions and drive big eggs.

Mork: I know, sir, that's the common misconception. But you see to get that you have to pay a very heavy price: you have responsibilities, anxieties, and to tell you the truth, sir, some of them can't take it.

Orson: I'm not buying it, Mork.

Mork: Why, sir?

Orson: It sounds to me like they have it made.

Mork: Well, most of them do sir, but some are victims of their own fame, very special and talented people: people like Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe... Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Lenny Bruce, Freddie Prinze, and John Lennon.
Excellent episode, but that list could now include Robin Williams
Old 06-20-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougs View Post
The Big Bang Theory: The Adhesive Duck Definiciency
"Is that my arm?"
"It doesn't feel like an arm."
"Then maybe you should let it go."
Old 06-20-2019, 12:13 PM

STAR TREK

Star Trek: TOS "The Trouble with the Tribbles" ; "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" ; "Balance of Terror"

Star Trek: TNG "The Best of Both Worlds"; "Parallels"; "Yesterday's Enterprise; "The Survivors"

Star Trek: DS9 "In the Pale Moon Light"; "Far Beyond the Stars"; "Little Green Men"

Star Trek: VOY "Future's End"; "Course: Oblivion"; "End Game"; "Tuvix"

Star Trek: ENT "Carbon Creek"; "Storm Front"; "In a Mirror, Darkly"

CARTOONS

Looney Tunes "One Froggy Evening"; "What's Opera, Doc?"; "Duck Amuck"

The Simpsons "Bart Gets an "F"" ; "The War of the Simpsons"; "Marge vs. the Monorail"; "The Joy of Sect" ; really two many to count

South Park "Scott Tenorman Must Die"; "The Imaginationland" Trilogy; "Cartman Joins NAMBLA"; "Grounded Vindaloop"

Futurama "Meanwhile" -the series finale; ""Overclockwise"; "Jurassic Bark"; "The Why of Fry"; "Benderama"
Old 06-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Greatest cartoons ever could be a whole nother thread, but these weren't originally made for television.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:47 PM

AS FOR OTHER SHOWS

The Twilight Zone: TOS "Nightmare at 30000 Feet"; "It's A Good Life";

Law & Order "Divorce"; "Volunteers"; "Competence"; "Double Blind"; "Menace"; "Blood"; "Damaged"; "Nowhere Man"; with twenty years on air they have really had too many great episodes to count

Law & Order: Criminal Intent "The Saint"-the episode starring Stephen Colbert; "Gone"; "Homo Homini Lupis"; "Blink"

Breaking Bad "Ozymandias"; "Dead Freight" ; "Felina"; "Face Off"

LOST "Walkabout"

The last episode of The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson was great too.

As for an episode of TV that I thought was going to great but ended up severely disappointing---the July 9 2001 episode of WWF Monday Night Raw where they had members of ECW re-unite in the ring and former ECW Paul Heyman left the announce table to enter the ring and announced the reformation of ECW. It was a great moment that they blew at the end of show by announcing the new ECW owner---Stephanie McMahon. Turning the whole storylime into an overblown McMahon family feud.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Greatest cartoons ever could be a whole nother thread, but these weren't originally made for television.
I first saw them on television so I apologize if people don't think they belong here.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Law & Order: SVU: Pique Chad Lowe and Margot Kidder as a mother & son, and the ending will creep you out.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 06-20-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:11 PM

The Office - Employee Transfer

In this episode, Michael struggles with the fact that his girlfriend Holly is being transferred back to her old branch in Nashua, NH, after CFO David Wallace discovers their relationship. Meanwhile, Pam and Jim's two brothers play a prank on Jim, and Dwight irritates his romantic rival Andy by taking an interest in Andy's old school, Cornell University.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Criminal Minds Revelation. Everyone at their best.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:43 PM

Supernatural's Bad Day at Black Rock. Sam loses his shoe.

Jose Chung's "From Outer Space" of the X-Files. Alex Trebek!

Twin Peaks episode 14 where Leland dances with his niece. "It is happening again."
Old 06-20-2019, 01:55 PM

The only single episode of a series I have on my DVR is Deep Space Nine's Far Beyond the Stars. In it, Benjamin gets drawn into a vision where he is a science fiction writer in the 50s. The story is wonderful and wonderfully meta as the writer, Benny Russell, has a breakdown and starts writing a story about a deep space station. If you haven't seen it, check out the link. It's also very cool to see the other cast members as humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Beyond_the_Stars
Old 06-20-2019, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I was on the edge of my seat watching the episode in which Adrienne got whacked. Holy crap, you could feel the terror she was experiencing as she was dragged from the car!
I thought the episode where Melfi is raped was excellent. Also, the follow-on scenes concerning that event were very well done.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:09 PM

Archer: Skytanic
Community: Remedial Chaos Theory
Old 06-21-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

As was agreed in the 2 and a Half Men thread, the best episode was "Old Flame With A New Wick." A very funny story line delivered perfectly!
Old 06-21-2019, 08:37 AM

This thread is perfect for something I remembered the other week, something I hadn't thought about in probably 30+ years.

I was never a regular viewer of "Cheers", but I watched it once in a while (I was in junior high when it started, finishing college when it ended) but I caught the last episode with Diane (Shelley Long's character) that guest starred Christopher Lloyd, and for a sit-com, it was actually a really powerful, emotional send off for one of the star characters.

Anyone else remember this?

Anyone know a way I could watch it again?
Old 06-21-2019, 09:07 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
Anyone know a way I could watch it again?
Cheers is available on Hulu, apparently. If you aren't a subscriber and don't wish to be one, you could always sign up for a free trial and then cancel. You could also try YouTube.

According to IMDb, the episodes with Christopher Lloyd are S02E21 and S02E22, "I'll Be Seeing You, parts 1 & 2." But those don't appear to be Diane's last episodes, so you may be conflating two memories.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 06-21-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
According to IMDb, the episodes with Christopher Lloyd are S02E21 and S02E22, "I'll Be Seeing You, parts 1 & 2." But those don't appear to be Diane's last episodes, so you may be conflating two memories.
That is very possible.

I remember that the polt was that Diane wanted a famous painter (Christopher Lloyd) to paint her portrait, but Sam was jealous and had some hack paint one instead, which led to a huge fight (as Lloyd's character had predicted) and the last scene was when Sam finally looked at the painting that caused Diane to leave him for good, his only word was "Wow..."

(it might not sound like much, but I remember thinking how understated yet powerful and even touching it was, especially for a show like Cheers)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:17 AM

Robotech: Force of Arms. Also most deaths in any TV show, animated or live action EVER.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Sam was jealous and had some hack paint one instead, which led to a huge fight (as Lloyd's character had predicted) and the last scene was when Sam finally looked at the painting that caused Diane to leave him for good, his only word was "Wow..."
It was at the end of the second season. When she came back at the beginning of the third, she had hooked up with Frasier, who was treating her after she'd had a breakdown.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:04 PM

"But whay are the kids crying..."

Rick: I feel sorry for you, you zeros! You nobodies! What's going to live on after you die? I'll tell you: nothing! That's what! [struggling to hang himself] Oh, this is pathetic!
[he gives up trying to hang himself, then sees a jar of pills and attempts to overdose]
Neil: [upon seeing Rick eating the pills] Vyv, Vyv, can you, like, actually kill yourself with laxative pills?
Vyvyan: I don't know Neil, but I'm going to stay and find out!
Neil: I think I'm going up to my room for a bit!
[Rick swallows pills in front of Neil as he leaves]
Rick: This house will become a shrine, and punks and skins and rastas will all gather round and hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader. And all the grown-ups will say, "But why are the kids crying?" And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Rick is dead! The People's Poet is dead!"
[Vyvyan crouches down to watch Rick's rear as he talks]
Rick: And then one particularly sensitive and articulate teenager will say, "Other kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rick be dead when we still have his poems?" And then another kid will say... [he then farts loudly and realises what he's been taking]

The Young Ones, 2.1, 'Bambi'

Last edited by Snake_Plissken; 06-21-2019 at 12:05 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-21-2019, 12:06 PM

Why
Old 06-21-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
It's quite dated now, but at the time, City on the Edge of Forever (Star Trek TOS) was amazing.
Exactly what I was thinkin'
Old 06-21-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
Twin Peaks episode 14 where Leland dances with his niece. "It is happening again."
I could have added Episode 8 from the new season. A truly great cinematic experience and an all-time classic episode of TV. Even if you did not watch the rest of the new season, you should check that one out.

"Got a light?"
Old 06-21-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
It's quite dated now, but at the time, City on the Edge of Forever (Star Trek TOS) was amazing.
I still think it's one of the best. I'd add:

The Return of the Archons - an alien world that is truly alien

Mirror, Mirror - an alternative universe where the Enterprise is evil, even Mr. Spock
Old 06-21-2019, 02:04 PM

I know "Jurassic Bark" gets a lot of love, but personally my picks for Futurama are "The Sting" and "The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings".
Old 06-21-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I could have added Episode 8 from the new season. A truly great cinematic experience and an all-time classic episode of TV. Even if you did not watch the rest of the new season, you should check that one out.

"Got a light?"
That episode was a mind-blower.

I'd add Scrubs season 3 episode 14, My Screw Up, to the list. Where do you think we are?

Last edited by GreysonCarlisle; 06-21-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:42 PM

Greatest is a tough one, especially given how so many shows these days are approaching filmic quality, but the one that has stuck with me more than any other is ST:TNG S6E14 "Tapestry". There is such a valuable lesson here -- one that I never really did learn.

If I had to choose one Breaking Bad Episode, it would be S2E12 "Phoenix". After that, Walter White was essentially irredeemable.

ETA: How could I forget? M*A*S*H: "Tuttle".

"How much easier life would be if people asked outright and took no for an answer." --Annie Xmas

Last edited by StusBlues; 06-21-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
It was at the end of the second season. When she came back at the beginning of the third, she had hooked up with Frasier, who was treating her after she'd had a breakdown.
It looks like I was totally off base on that one.

Thanks for the Straight Dope.

There are only 2 other specific Cheers episodes that I can remember, both kind of serious for a Sit-Com, one was when Coach's daughter confronted her Dad, telling him that she was unhappy and thought she was ugly, and Coach told her she was beautiful, and that she looked just like her Mother (actually very poignant, I thought) and the other was when Sam, who was of course a recovering alcoholic, had the bottlecap for the last bottle of beer he ever drank, that he kept as a kind of talisman to him, reminding him of how much that alcohol had messed up his life, and then he somehow lost the cap, and was tempted to fall off the wagon, but he kept the faith, grabbed a random cap out of the garbage, and said, (to himself) "Oh, there it is..." and closed up the bar for the night, sobriety in tact.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I'd add Scrubs season 3 episode 14, My Screw Up, to the list. Where do you think we are?
I was going to pick season 5 episode 20, "My Lunch".
Old 06-21-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of Rats View Post
Sesame Street episode #1839 - This is the episode where the cast helps Big Bird understand the death of Mr. Hooper (after the real life death of actor Will Lee). One of the most poinient epsiodes on a show that has dealt with a lot of real life situations and provides powerful tools for helping pre-school age kids understand death and its permanence. Not as funny or dramatic as some other entries on this list, but one that has stayed with many of the kids who watched it.
You had to go there, didn't you?

Seriously, this is the perfect example of how to communicate difficult subject matter to kids. They hit it out of the park with this one.

On less profound notes, I'll add:

Columbo: "A Case of Immunity"
Columbo: "The Conspirators"
Blackadder: "Goodbyeee" (it is my sig line, after all)

It is difficult to single out one episode of The Prisoner. "The Chimes of Big Ben" was the first one I ever saw, so I'll go with that. And "Arrival".

aurora maire, thank you for reminding me of "Far Beyond the Stars". Excellent.

"How much easier life would be if people asked outright and took no for an answer." --Annie Xmas

Last edited by StusBlues; 06-21-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Also excellent!

I might add the two-parter from House, House's Head and Wilson's Heart, to the list, but the best episode has already been mentioned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
House: "Three Stories"

House takes over a diagnostics class for a day and presents the class with three case studies of leg pain. As House tells his story and the class gradually fills up with listeners, the class learns a lot about how to be better doctors, and Chase, Foreman and Cameron learn some important details of House's past.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Coach's daughter confronted her Dad, telling him that she was unhappy and thought she was ugly, and Coach told her she was beautiful, and that she looked just like her Mother (actually very poignant, I thought).
He had objected to the creep she planned to marry out of desperation. She then decided to end the engagement because she wanted a man as good as her father.

My favorite episode too, because of that scene. It was beautifully written and wonderfully acted.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Frank’s Place- Where’s Ed
I love that whole series, but this episode FREAKED my niece out. She was about 6 or 7.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:14 PM

Twilight Zone (Eightie's edition)-"Paladin of the Lost Hour" Harlan Ellison story-Danny Kaye's penultimate performance, solid second lead in Glynn Turman.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Simply outstanding. So many great Scrubs episodes, but those two are among the best.

Before seeing either of these posts, if someone asked me for the best Scrubs episode I would have said Cox's brother (My Screw Up), but after remembering My Lunch I think that's the winner. Absolutely devastating.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBlues View Post
<snip> ETA: How could I forget? M*A*S*H: "Tuttle".
"Yankee Doodle Doctor," and, "The Longjohn Flap," give, "Tuttle," a run for the money.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:15 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
I love that whole series, but this episode FREAKED my niece out. She was about 6 or 7.
Laughter usually needs company. That is one of the few episodes of tv I remember laughing historically at alone in an empty room. The beauty of that show is how the tone shifted from episode to episode.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:17 PM

Thought of another one. Futurama: "Hell is Other Robots," though there are a lot of great Futurama episodes.

Tony Sinclair, I saw it last weekend, and I think "The City on the Edge of Forever" is still a first-rate piece of work. It's a pity it didn't use the line that James Blish used in his adaptation: "Always remember, Jim, no other woman was really offered the universe for love."
Old 06-22-2019, 12:12 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

House, "Three Stories."
The Big Bang Theory, "The Adhesive Duck Deficiency" and "The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis"
Frasier, "Flour Child"
Doctor Who, "Blink" or "Midnight" (Tenth Doctor), "Hell Bent" or "The Zygon Inversion" (Twelfth Doctor)
Lucifer, "A Priest Walks Into a Bar"
Old 06-22-2019, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

Frasier: An Affair To Forget

https://youtu.be/9K6SVkJn6Gk
Old 06-22-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The Young Ones: Bambi.
(I'll link to it later when I'm home if no one else does.)
Biggest Bottom Burp: Bobot.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:02 AM

My picks would be the episodes of Frasier where David Hyde-Pierce had a chance to show his absolute genuis for physical comedy. Sorry that it's a busy morning and I don't have time to look up the episode names, but "the one where..." will just have to do.

The one where Niles finds out that Maris is cheating on him with her Bavarian fencing instructor

The one with the iron, especially since there's no dialogue at all since the only other cast member in the scene is Eddie

And my favorite, where the entire cast just knocks it out of the ballpark, "Ham Radio"
Old 06-22-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyacinthBucket View Post
My picks would be the episodes of Frasier where David Hyde-Pierce had a chance to show his absolute genuis for physical comedy. Sorry that it's a busy morning and I don't have time to look up the episode names, but "the one where..." will just have to do.

The one where Niles finds out that Maris is cheating on him with her Bavarian fencing instructor

The one with the iron, especially since there's no dialogue at all since the only other cast member in the scene is Eddie

And my favorite, where the entire cast just knocks it out of the ballpark, "Ham Radio"
The one with the iron is "Three Valentines"
Old 06-22-2019, 08:23 AM

I think the episode I laughed at hardest was the one where the new station manager thought Frasier was coming on to him.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:03 AM

As long as we're throwing out Frasier episodes, my vote would be "The Ski Lodge". It's like a "Three's Company" episode for smart people.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:04 AM

There's a lot of good episodes mentioned so far. Some overrated ones, too (like the Very Special Episodes of a comedy series that aren't particularly funny).

Some of my favourites:

"Bums: Making a Mess All Over the City" from "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" -- fake cops, fake Guardian Angels, and best of all is Charlie's fake Serpico (which never fails to make me laugh!)

"The Concert" from "Corporate" -- Matt tries to prove he's still young and hip by making plans to see a band at 1 a.m. on a work night

"Dog Mayor", "Jon He Does It", "Mole", "Kim's Krafts", "Coma" from "Delocated" -- Season 2 of Delocated is one of the funniest seasons of a TV show that I have ever seen, it's too hard to pick just one or two
Old 06-22-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Roseanne - Crime & Punishment
Old 06-22-2019, 09:27 AM

The Halloween episode of CSI: Las Vegas where the dwarf comes on to Catherine: "Ever have a man kiss you on the navel?"

Or the episode set at the brothel, where they can't decide on the CoD because the victim had received a half dozen different insults before he died.

Last edited by terentii; 06-22-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:35 AM

I haven't watched Criminal Minds in ages, but the episode I remember best is the one where everyone at a picnic was served honest-to-God cannibal chili.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
CARTOONS

The Simpsons "Bart Gets an "F"" ; "The War of the Simpsons"; "Marge vs. the Monorail"; "The Joy of Sect" ; really two many to count

South Park "Scott Tenorman Must Die"; "The Imaginationland" Trilogy; "Cartman Joins NAMBLA"; "Grounded Vindaloop"

Futurama "Meanwhile" -the series finale; ""Overclockwise"; "Jurassic Bark"; "The Why of Fry"; "Benderama"
No mention of Rocky and Bullwinkle?!? "Upsidaisium," "The Oogle Bird," "The Ruby Yacht of Omar Khayyam," "The Kerwood Derby," "Rue Britannia," inter alia.