Old 06-22-2019, 10:04 AM

I never got the chance to see many episodes of Night Gallery, but I do remember "Big Surprise" with John Carradine. The moment when the kid pisses his pants in abject terror is priceless!
Old 06-22-2019, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I haven't watched Criminal Minds in ages, but the episode I remember best is the one where everyone at a picnic was served honest-to-God cannibal chili.
The story was rather mundane, but the ending was fantastic.

The episode with Jason Alexander was marvelous, particularly how Rossi fooled him.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:25 PM

The Married With Children where they were going to have the dog fixed and he was given a voice to comment on the proceedings was literally the hardest I have ever laughed in front of a tv.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:06 PM

Star Trek: The Corbomite Maneuver.

For me this has become my favorite episode. Good story where the ending perfectly fits with the ideals of Starfleet and the Federation. Also, Clint Howard!
Old 06-22-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Biggest Bottom Burp: Bobot.
Taken as a compliment!
(Who's Mary?...Who's getting married?)
Old 06-22-2019, 07:55 PM

Most Barnaby Jones episodes.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

From the third season of Babylon 5, is Passing Through Gethsemane. Religion often played a part in B5, but this one was the best depiction of Christian belief I ever saw on TV.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I watch my fair share of TV and I have, quite literally, never heard of any of these shows.

I am not arguing they are not great. I am just really surprised at myself that I missed such (presumably) excellent shows to the point I did not even know they existed.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 06-22-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
I watch my fair share of TV and I have, quite literally, never heard of any of these shows.

I am not arguing they are not great. I am just really surprised at myself that I missed such (presumably) excellent shows to the point I did not even know they existed.
The (my) Atlanta thread here on the dope is a quick read (only 13 short posts) with no meaningful spoilers if you want to get a feel for it.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
Do you have a favorite episode of Hoganís Heroes you would also like to mention?
Since you ask, mine is "The Collector General" (Gavin MacLeod plays a German general stealing and hiding art pieces to insure his comfort after the war) because it has the Heroes' most elaborate ruse by far just to distract a guard so they can view the contents of a truck.

I'm currently re-watching all of Barney Miller on DVD, and a favorite episode is "Community Relations" because it's got some of everything to highlight all the characters' personalities: Yemana bets he can quite gambling easier than Harris can quit smoking, Wojo has trouble giving testimony in court and exasperates the deputy district attorney because he's so nervous he's afraid he'll vomit (Yemana: "That won't impress a jury!"), Fish helps an elderly resident of a slum and levels his deadpan wit at the slumlord ("Can't you type any faster?" "Sorry, but I'm old!"), and at the end Barney deftly maneuvers two people in need of help to help each other. Fantastic episode.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer2575 View Post
Since you ask, mine is "The Collector General" (Gavin MacLeod plays a German general stealing and hiding art pieces to insure his comfort after the war) because it has the Heroes' most elaborate ruse by far just to distract a guard so they can view the contents of a truck.
That's the episode with the French art treasures. LeBeau is the one who gets into the truck.

Other good episodes include the one with Bob Hastings (of McHale's Navy fame) as a downed Russian pilot and those with Italian Major Bonacelli (played by Hans Conried and Vito Scotti). I also liked the one where the POWs made (and had to destroy ASAP) recordings for German propaganda.

Last edited by terentii; 06-23-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:56 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Fawlty Towers, Episode 6, The Germans

This one episode includes Sybil in the hospital with a toe problem, Basil in the hospital with a concussion, a fire drill and a fire at the hotel, the moose head, and the German guests.

Great lines:
- I speak English very well. I learn it from a boook.
- Japanese, is it?
- DON'T MENTION THE WAR.
- You started it. . . . . . . . . . No we didnít. You invaded Poland.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer2575 View Post
I'm currently re-watching all of Barney Miller on DVD
One of my all-time favorites of any episode of any show is the Barney Miller 'Hash' episode, S3E11. I still watch it occasionally on YouTube, and I laugh every time I watch it. Jack Soo is at his best in that episode, as is Ron Glass.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:38 PM

Murphy Brown - "Send in the Clowns" where Murphy testified before a Senate Committee. The episode was a perfect parody of the Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas hearings, highlighted by the character Eldin Bernicki saying he was so outraged watching it that he too a bag of manure and put it in front of the TVs at the Sears store and so that now "He was no longer welcome where America shops."

Northern Exposure - "Democracy in America" where the town has a mayoral election.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
Doctor Who [...] "Hell Bent" or "The Zygon Inversion" (Twelfth Doctor)
Did you mean "Heaven Sent"? I found "Hell Bent" to be a sloppy mess (as indeed was the other half of "The Zygon Inversion", "The Zygon Invasion") but "Heaven Sent " to be some startlingly original television.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Criminal Minds "Riding the Lightning." The guy who played the sociopathical killer was excellent.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:38 AM

Coach - The Homewreckers episode

Hayden (Craig T Fox) seeks Luther's (Jerry Van Dyke) companionship while Christine (Shelly Fabares) works on the weekend. While she is away, he nearly destroys her apartment.

As close to a perfectly written episode of television as I have ever seen.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Do you have a favorite episode of Hogan’s Heroes you would also like to mention?
Klink vs the Gonkulator. Classic how everyone tries to pretend they know what the titular device is.

Honorable mention: The General Swap. A nod to Mission Impossible, where the heroes "fly" a German field marshal to England down in the tunnels.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 06-26-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Do you have a favorite episode of Hogan’s Heroes you would also like to mention?
I also like the one where Hogan is an expert on the famous Norden *Roll out the barrel!*. The scene where the POWs read from a script while Klink listens in on his bug is hilarious!

"The Schultz Brigade" is good too.

Last edited by terentii; 06-26-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:47 PM

Futurama: The Problem with Popplers. Pure gold from beginning to end, including the fact that the title is a sendup of that of a well-known Star Trek episode.
Simpsons: A Streetcar Named Marge
South Park: Casa Bonita
M*A*S*H: Fade Out, Fade In. The first Charles episode, with the very end being one of the best M*A*S*H moments ever.
Big Bang Theory: The Dumpling Paradox. Maybe it's just because I know someone similar, but Sheldon's inability to ignore the extra dumpling just sells the character for me.
Night Court: One of the "Day in the Life" episodes, though I'm torn between the second ("Another Day in the Life") and the third ("Yet Another Day in the Life") for greatest.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I also like the one where Hogan is an expert on the famous Norden *Roll out the barrel!*. The scene where the POWs read from a script while Klink listens in on his bug is hilarious!

"The Schultz Brigade" is good too.
So is "Der Krieg ist zu Ende":

KLINK: So, Schultz. You work for the Schatzi Toy Company, eh?

SCHULTZ: No. I own the Schatzi Toy Company.

KLINK: Would you care for a cigar?

So is the one where Hogan convinces Klink there's oil under Stalag 13:

KLINK: At last! Not only will I have a 500-year-old aristocratic name, but some money to go with it!

I could go on and on.

Last edited by terentii; 06-26-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:11 PM

New guy here. Surprised to see only one mention of Community- their experimental episodes and parodies/homages didn't always work, but when they did they were as good as anything on TV.

In addition to Remedial Chaos Theory (mentioned before) I'd add Modern Warfare and my personal favorite, Critical Film Studies, which head-fakes as a Pulp Fiction homage before going in a completely different direction in every possible sense.

And while there's nothing interesting about saying so, I think Breaking Bad's Ozymandias makes all these lists for good reason.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:22 PM

I only didn't mention a Community episode because so many of those episodes are so good that none particularly stood out as head and shoulders above the rest. Now that you mention Modern Warfare (the first paintball episode, yes?), though, I agree that's an excellent choice.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 06-26-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I could go on and on.
Hogan shows his men a quick and easy way to reassemble the engine - with a hammer.

LeBeau - I think you forced it.
Hogan - It's a German plane. All it understands is force.

from Psychic Kommandant
Old 06-27-2019, 08:17 AM

There was an episode of (Denis Leary’s) The Job where a perp steals one of the detective's guns and is able to hold Denis as a hostage in the basement bathroom. The gunman doesn’t speak English and DL doesn’t speak Spanish. However, the funniest part(s) is when his wife and then his mistress call him on the phone with THEIR problems, uncaring that Denis is being held at gunpoint. Hill-air-ious!

It's not just funny, I found the whole ep well produced; including script, direction, etc.

Last edited by shunpiker; 06-27-2019 at 08:19 AM. Reason: pronouns... say your g'damn pronouns
Old 06-27-2019, 08:31 AM

Great for the wrong reason:

"The Great Vegetable Rebellion," from (3rd season), "Lost in Space." The absolute pits; at least once in the episode, Don West (Mark Goddard) is trying so hard not to laugh/look disgusted that he turns away from the camera while John Robinson is talking to Tybo, the CarrotMan--ya gotta love Stanley ("Cyrano Jones") Adams, he's a total professional. Some day, I want to get really wasted and watch that epi and see if I survive the hilarity.

"Moisture! I need moisture!"
Old 06-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

One Barney Miller episode that hasn't been mentioned is Guns. I suspect that scene wasn't in the script, but was a brilliant idea from Max Gail. If you look real closely at Hal Linden you see he notices the camera is still running and stays in character.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 06-27-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I only didn't mention a Community episode because so many of those episodes are so good that none particularly stood out as head and shoulders above the rest. Now that you mention Modern Warfare (the first paintball episode, yes?), though, I agree that's an excellent choice.
This is the problem. Introduction to Statistics, Modern Warfare, Contemporary American Poultry, etc.

How do you choose????
Old 06-27-2019, 04:27 PM

There are a lot of choices for me- The Body from BtVS, Ronny/Lilly from Barry, Love's Labor Lost from ER... but my all-time favorite would have to be Michael's Gambit, the season one finale of The Good Place.

Holy crap was that a sucker punch. Telegraphed the entire season, yet still took me by surprise.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
There are a lot of choices for me- The Body from BtVS, Ronny/Lilly from Barry, Love's Labor Lost from ER... but my all-time favorite would have to be Michael's Gambit, the season one finale of The Good Place.

Holy crap was that a sucker punch. Telegraphed the entire season, yet still took me by surprise.
So of course I just spoilered it for myself.

That's how I felt about the last episode of Blackadder, BTW. You knew it was coming from previous seasons, but not like that. (Atkinson's discourse on how the war started is also a high point. If I ever teach WWI again, I'll probably show it.)

"How much easier life would be if people asked outright and took no for an answer." --Annie Xmas
Old 06-29-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Just Shoot Me - Slow Donnie

Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie.

This is the ONLY stand out episode from this boring insipid show.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
This is the ONLY stand out episode from this boring insipid show.
Ah, but you watched it (by mistake, because you assumed nothing else was on), and it was so far beneath your standards... but then the dialog between George Segal and David Spade started to get under your skin, and you started caring what happened with Maya and Elliot and Nina (and of course Donnie)...

And then almost two decades later, you're trashing 90s sitcoms with a few friends in a bar... and you realize that you don't have to be cool any more... You can admit to yourself and dammit, the world! that you wish you could go home, flop on the couch and watch an episode of Just Shoot Me right now.

(Probably starting with Slow Donnie, then the other episodes with David Cross.)

Last edited by digs; 06-30-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:48 AM

A fourth-season episode of The Streets of San Francisco called "Police Buff," OAD Thursday, Jan. 8, 1976 on ABC.

The reason why is because I've enjoyed how the main protagonist, Eric Doyle (the late, great Bill Bixby), tries to set himself up as a stalwart defender of law and order by killing defendants whose court cases were dismissed on technicalities, and Stone (the late, great Karl Malden) and Keller (Michael Douglas) have to stop him before he kills again!

The disc that has it in my copy of CBS' all-in-one Streets of San Francisco DVD (Season 4, Vol. 2, Disc 1) has gotten quite a few spins on that episode for me, and may get quite a few more!

Last edited by bmasters1; 07-02-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:54 PM

House: Season 6, Episode 10. Down Low. At the end, having the undercover cop die juxtaposed with the bad guys getting arrested to the tune of Maggot Brain.
Perfect

Last edited by SuntanLotion; 07-02-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmasters1 View Post
A fourth-season episode of The Streets of San Francisco called "Police Buff," OAD Thursday, Jan. 8, 1976 on ABC.

The reason why is because I've enjoyed how the main protagonist, Eric Doyle (the late, great Bill Bixby), tries to set himself up as a stalwart defender of law and order by killing defendants whose court cases were dismissed on technicalities, and Stone (the late, great Karl Malden) and Keller (Michael Douglas) have to stop him before he kills again!

The disc that has it in my copy of CBS' all-in-one Streets of San Francisco DVD (Season 4, Vol. 2, Disc 1) has gotten quite a few spins on that episode for me, and may get quite a few more!
That's strange. I am not at all familiar with this television show (not only have I never seen the episode you're talking about, I've never heard of the show), but Michael Douglas starred in a movie with very similar plot elements.

The Star Chamber

The movie was made in 1983. Don't know which came first, the movie or the television show.

Edit: I see you put the date in your post. Sorry. OK, the movie was made some years later.

Last edited by Saintly Loser; 07-02-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

And the Dirty Harry movie Magnum Force was even earlier, in 1973.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
And the Dirty Harry movie Magnum Force was even earlier, in 1973.
There was also an episode of TJ Hooker in the '80s that was virtually identical to the movie.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
ER Love's Labor Lost. Mark Greene deals with a minor complaint from a pregnant woman, and things go downhill quickly.
Yeah, imagine being pregnant when you're watching that. My wife was pregnant with our second child when we settled down for our weekly Thursday evening cuddling and watching ER. That was a tough episode.

The baby came less than a month later and he is still going strong. Six years later, we got to live that ER episode -- not with the inattentive doctor part, but with the lost baby and eclampsia. Fortunately, we had a better outcome. Lost the baby, but kept the wife.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:05 PM

So I just rewatched one of my favorite episodes of Law & Order---"Nowhere Man".

In it an assistant district attorney-Daniel Tenofskie-is murdered and it looks like it was the work of two Mafia thugs Biscuit and Books in order to cover up the fact that they paid Tenofskie to drop a case-- the murder of a guy few years prior involved in a "no show job" scam they were running.

During the investigation it comes out that Daniel Tenofskie was an imposter and never went to law school. The two thugs point the finger at their mob boss and say he ordered the murders. When questioned by ADA Jack McCoy the mob boss denies any involvement at all in both murders and the "no show job" scam. While testifying at their boss's trial, inconsistencies in the two thugs stories make McCoy suspicious and he investigates further. He then learns that thugs' attorney attended law school with the real Daniel Tenofskie and he actually blackmailed the imposter in order to drop the case. The attorney also admits the mob boss was not involved in any of the murders or the "no show job" scam. He agrees to a plea so McCoy can prosecute Biscuit and Books for the murders.

The episode with ends with McCoy not really knowing who the imposter was and another attorney asks what they should do with the imposter's personal effects. McCoy responds, "What personal effects? They were just props."

This synopsis really doesn't the episode justice. It's probably one of the best of the series. And it occurred to after watching it that Biscuit and Books(and their attorney) are really f*****. They didn't just try rat out the mob boss in order to get a better deal for themselves; they accused him of being involved in crimes he nothing to do with. Falsely accusing a crime boss seems a like a sure way to commit suicide.

Last edited by dorvann; 07-05-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
So I just rewatched one of my favorite episodes of Law & Order---"Nowhere Man".
One of my favorites.

It has two things that don't quite work.

Who was the inner, real Tenofskie? The one no one ever saw? What drove him that he couldn't bother to go to law school, but was a top notch lawyer? What was he thinking? Why did he have no life? He really was a nowhere man!

And two, there are no commercial flights to Quartzite, AZ! There's not even an airport! It's a blip on I10, know for two things: snowbirds, and the swap meet. There's literally nothing else there.

OK, three things. Why did Tenofskie go there? Of all the things to have for hobbies!

But a top notch episode, nevertheless!

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 07-05-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post

Magnum, P.I. -- "Did You See the Sunrise?"
Definitely Did You See the Sunrise?

The Simon & Simon episode "What's in a Gnome?"

Star Trek Voyager's "Timeless"

The 1990s Muppet Show revival with Garth Brooks.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:17 AM

My standard answer is Blackadder goes forth, the final episode "Byeeeee" and then especially the final minutes.

Another contender that I watched again on TV last night is the X-files season 3 episode Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, with impressive acting by Peter Boyle.

Last edited by Art Rock; 07-06-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:35 AM

There have been so many great tv episodes, on 'House', on 'ER' (the one with the kid with the gun in the emergency room is another memorable one), 'Northern Exposure' (the Christmas episode with Marilyn's pageant dance set to a telling of the Raven and the Sun). Not mentioned were any of 'The Family' skits from the Carol Burnett Show, they were only 10-15 minutes long but awesome in their hilarity/dysfunction. The one where Eunice was performing on The Gong Show (and figured that fame and fortune was hers and so her ticket outta there) ... awwwwww, poor Eunice . That skit went on to become a watered down tv show, 'Mama's Family'.

There was a made-for-tv movie called 'Eunice' at the end of the run, it's on youtube.

Last edited by salinqmind; 07-07-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
There was also an episode of TJ Hooker in the '80s that was virtually identical to the movie.
And a TV movie with the same theme staring a your Robert Forster.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069954/?ref_=rvi_tt
Old 07-10-2019, 05:11 AM

Parks and Recreation - Season 6 finale - the Unity Concert.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:05 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

With Rip Torn's demise, I've been looking through episodes of The Larry Sanders Show for faves, and I don't think anything tops "Hank's Sex Tape," S04E07.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 07-10-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Family Ties had two episodes where Elise's brother Ned was played by Tom Hanks. Both were excellent, but my favorite was the scene where he punched out Alex P. Keaton.

And the episode where Tracey Pollen was first introduced as Ellen Reed. You could see the sparks coming off of her and Michael J. Fox.