Old 07-27-2019, 08:51 AM

Sight-seeing bucket list.

Do you have a bucket list for sights, either in the US or elsewhere? What are the sights you want to see before you die?
Old 07-27-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

I've been trying hard to think of something I haven't already seen that I'd still want to undergo the pain of getting there to see. Much as I'd like to see the Taj and Machu Picchu, I don't see me getting on a plane for that many hours to go there. I'm pretty happy with what I've seen in my life, so will likely just leave it at that.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:38 AM

I'd like to see the Northern Lights in person.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:48 AM

My list:

Picasso’s Guernica

Hiroshima

Various airplane museums in the UK, particularly those associated with the Battle of Britain

Auschwitz

Easter Island

Last edited by Llama Llogophile; 07-27-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

When I went to watch the solar eclipse a few years ago, I was in one of the few places in the US where it rained most of the day. And my wife had to work that day, so we both pretty much missed it and decided we were going to travel somewhere to see the next one in a few years.

I would like to see the Grand Canyon. We stopped there on the way to California when I was about four and really don't remember much about it. And my wife has never been.

Chefguy, agree about the Taj Mahal. I'd love to see it in person, but I'm afraid between the travel and the build up of expectations, I'd probably just wind up being disappointed.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I long to spend a few weeks wandering through British Museums. ( But hubs isn’t having it. He’s grown too accustom to deserted tropical beaches and Asian food! The bastard!) But I’m intending to one day scare up a companion and just DO IT!

We began our travels in adventurous less developed locations, and over the years have continued to tell ourselves we’ll do the more civilized places, like Europe and Australia, y’know, when we’re ‘older’! When we’ve lost all patience with long haul flights, language barriers, third class trains etc.

The problem is we’ve long since passed ‘older’, but still haven’t hit either of those spots yet. So while I’ve been to several of the sites that are often seen on bucket lists, these are the two at the top of my own list.

The world is wide!

(Also, The Taj does NOT disappoint!)

Last edited by elbows; 07-27-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

My wife has been pestering me for years about going to India. I have zero interest in SE Asia, as Vietnam was plenty, thanks. The bugs, humidity, pollution and billions of people have no allure for me. I keep telling her to find a lady friend to go with her. But that's for India. What mainly keeps me from going to some places (like Asia or New Zealand or even SA) is the excruciating amount of time it takes to get there and back. Now that I'm older, the east coast of the US is about as far as I'm willing to go.

That said, I most certainly have traveled. I lived in Japan for about a year, in Europe for eight years, in sub-Saharan Africa for three years and in Cairo for about six months. I've also traveled extensively in the US.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:38 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

New River Gorge Bridge and vicinity, including the Greenbrier Resort.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:46 PM

Not so much sight-seeing, but I hope I'll get to go to the New Orleans' Mardi Gras once. I mean I'm pretty sure I'd love the food, the booze, the general nonchalant joie de vivre any time of the year ; but then again why not go there when college chicks show off their tits and actively look for regrettable one night stands ?
Plus I really wanna see me one of them Indians in their full glory.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
Auschwitz

Um. Okay.
I've been to a "mild" camp once, part of a school trip. Sachsenhausen. I'm not in any way religious or superstitious or what, but to this day I will swear to Asha I saw a column of gaunt ghosts there. Place was eerie as fuck. Did not like.

No free cocktails, either. Would not recommend, would not go back without a gun to my head.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
<snip>
(Also, The Taj does NOT disappoint!)
Good to know!

By the way, one thing I learned yesterday apropos of this thread (as if I didn't already know) is that there is absolutely nothing "bucket list worthy" in Kansas. I was dawdling in Target yesterday, waiting for my wife and grandkids to catch up, and picked up a copy of "1000 Places To See Before You Die." I flipped to the USA section and started thumbing through the states, and it went straight from Iowa to Kentucky. Nothing to see here!

(Actually I would argue that when they are burning the prairie in the Flint Hills in the spring, it's pretty damned impressive.)
Old 07-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Shoeless, I don't care what the books say, I love this state and find plenty I like to go see. It may not be on the big guy's bucket lists, but it's home!

Oddly enough the places I'd like to see are mostly ruins. Stonehenge, the pyramids, and so on. I like trying to visualize those places when they were new and whole, seeing the people and cultures of the past.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:32 PM

My problem is that my husband has to travel all over the world for work, so his bucket list is to stay home and chill. But there are still a few places I want to see... like the pyramids and the Northern lights and Iceland... coincidentally, a few of the places my husband has not been to.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Shoeless, I don't care what the books say, I love this state and find plenty I like to go see. It may not be on the big guy's bucket lists, but it's home!

Oddly enough the places I'd like to see are mostly ruins. Stonehenge, the pyramids, and so on. I like trying to visualize those places when they were new and whole, seeing the people and cultures of the past.
If you like ruins, I highly recommend the old pueblos of the US Southwest. Places like Chaco Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Hovenweep and Mesa Verde are very cool. I've been to the pyramids many times, and they're definitely worth seeing (along with the sphinx), although from what I hear, the harassment by street vendors has gotten way out of hand. The Temple of Karnak further up the Nile is also a great site.

I guess the one place that's always intrigued me are the ruins of Al Khazneh at Petra, Jordan.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:40 PM

I finally got to Egypt last year, visited the Pyramids and Sphinx, Karnak and Luxor, played Death on the Nile for a week and even got to go inside Abu Simbel. So I can check that all off the things I would have been very sorry never to have done.

Right now, I'm most tempted by the brochures the travel companies have been sending me for tours to Iceland and the Antarctic. I'd like to do those one day when I have the money for another big, expensive trip.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:15 PM
born to be shunned

China. But with my ability to take long flights being limited and the complications of trying to do it by ship (compared to Europe) I have extreme doubts I will ever make it.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
. . . why not go there when college chicks show off their tits and actively look for regrettable one night stands ?
These events have been known to transpire even when it's not Mardi Gras.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Definitely the Grand Canyon. Everyone I know who has been has said you have to see it - there's just no way TV or photos do it justice. Plus while I've been all over the East Coast of the US I haven't made it out west of the Mississippi much.

I'd also like to see New Zealand and Australia, but those will have to wait until I am not working any more since they are so far away I'd want at least 3 weeks to do it in. Hopefully we'll both still be healthy enough in 3 years to be able to do it. I'd like to see Singapore, too, but my husband has been and he isn't a fan of the heat and humidity. I just want to see the airport, eat the food and go to the Gardens by the Bay. Might be worth trying to work that into the Australia trip somehow.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:47 PM

The Iditarod...ceremonial start in Anchorage...The real start Wasilla or Fairbanks if moved. A few check points, the Nome for the finish.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
If you like ruins, I highly recommend the old pueblos of the US Southwest. Places like Chaco Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Hovenweep and Mesa Verde are very cool.
I saw those when I was growing up. As you say, very cool.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:17 AM
Elephant Whisperer

The wife and I have traveled a lot and feel our traveling days are winding down. Not a lot of places left we want to see but rather revisit old favorites a time or two more such as New York City.

We plan to do Las Vegas properly next year. More than 20 years ago on a visit to my parents, we rented a car in Texas and planned to turn it in at LAX before our flight back home to Bangkok. The Grand Canyon was a stop, and the morning we got up to leave from there, we were supposed to be at my uncle's house in Glendale that evening. But then we thought, "Hey, Vegas is not that far out of the way." So we shot up there -- stopping briefly at Hoover Dam -- and spent maybe three hours in Circus Circus that afternoon before heading to Glendale. This time, we're going to stay a week or so in Vegas. (I did leave Vegas $50 up that time, but then later on I lost $50 in Macau, so I have broken even on my worldwide gambling.)

Hokkaido. We both love Japan and plan at least one more visit, with the focus next time on Hokkaido, the northernmost island. Not been to Hokkaido before.

I would still like to visit the terra-cotta warriors in Xi'an, China. Bangkok Airways used to have direct flights from Bangkok to Xi'an, and we always thought we'd do it, but then we never got around to it. I think those flights have stopped.

At one time the gorillas in East Africa was on my list, but then I read how much hiking you have to do to get to them, so forget it.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 07-28-2019 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

I've been to most of the national parks, and seen and done a lot of my "bucket" list. I've piloted a B-17. Seriously, where do you go from there?

The remaining stuff is more travel-seeing instead of individual sights (if that makes any sense).

1. The intra-coastal waterway.
2. The Alaska-Canada highway.
3. Route 66 (I've seen some of it, and even found an "orphaned" section while hunting out west -- it was eerie, driving it at night past ruined buildings).
4. The Blue Ridge Parkway (I've seen a little of it, wife hasn't).
5. Retrace the route my grandparents took during the depression. If Steinbeck had simply written an account of their lives back then, the Grapes of Wrath wouldn't read much differently. I know where they started and ended, but I'm trying to canvas remaining old relatives to learn what I can about the route.
6. Retrace (to the extent I can) my grandma's grandparents route along the Trail of Tears (the Fort Towson route).
7. Retrace at least some of Steinbeck's route* from his book: Travels with Charlie. As I understand it, this was his "last hurrah" when he discovered he was dying. The only individual "thing" on my list is Rocinante -- his truck. IIRC it's on display in Salinas.

*Yes, I'm aware there are lots of questions about the accuracy of his book. I still loved it and don't care.

Last edited by pullin; 07-28-2019 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
+1

Of course the fact that I can do this from the deck of a cruise ship doesn't hurt either.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:00 AM

I have been to 5 or 6 Mardi Gras over the years, and while I always enjoyed it for what it was, for what the average tourist is likey to experience, there probably isn't a single worse day of the year to actually experience the "Real" New Orleans.

(of course if you had an "In" with a local and could somehow finagle an invitation to one of the various "Old Line Krewe" private balls, some of which have been held annually since before the Civil War, you probably couldn't do better at seeing a little slice of authentic Crescent City culture, albeit a very specific and exclusive slice that even most lifelong New Orleanians never get the chance to experience)

ETA---By far the best day to see the Mardi Gras Indians in all their splendor is "Super Sunday" the Sunday closest to St. Joseph's Day, NOT Mardi Gras.

Last edited by Royal Nonesutch; 07-28-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

The only specific place I can think of is Rome, and maybe the valley of huge waterfalls in Hawaii. I've already done all the bucket list places in the continental US (having been to exactly half the National Parks here), and I've already seen the Prado with its collection of Hieronymus Bosch paintings, and I'd like to see more ruined castles and abbeys in Europe and/or Britain, but I don't have any specific ones in mind.

ETA: same thing with Stonehenge. I'd like to see it but I'd be just as satisfied with the various other henge sites around England.

Last edited by Ludovic; 07-28-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:44 AM

Been to six continents, so thinking about seeing the 7th (Antarctica) for my 70th birthday (sooner than I think). Unlike some others, 14-hr plane rides don't faze me as much as it does others, so everywhere is in play.

Plans for next year is to see Central Europe, which except for various airport terminals I have not seen.

Siam Sam, go the X'ian if you can--it was the highlight of my China trip, even more than the Forbidden City or the Great Wall.

And since I've seen the Southern Cross, I should add the Northern Lights, along with so many others. in this thread.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:23 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

A few things.

I'm at 49 states so I'd like to get to Alaska next summer. I'd like to be far enough north to see the midnight sun.

I've been lucky enough to travel a great deal both inside the US and Internationally. But there's a few things I'd like to see. Ayers Rock. Animals on the serengeti. Antarctica.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:07 AM

A desire to "see" Auschwitz (really more to pay my respects as a human being) led me to decide to visit Krakow, explore, sightsee and just generally experience Polish culture for a week back in the winter of 2015.

That was nearly 4 years ago, and I am still here, my life completely changed, (all of it for the better, in every possible way) but even though I will spend the rest of my life here, there isn't enough money in the world to ever make me go back to Auschwitz again, as the memories of what I saw there still haunt me to this day, and at least for me, going back would serve no purpose other than emotional masochism of the worst possible kind.

But I do think that is is something that every person who possibly can should experience once in their life. Maybe I am hopelessly naieve, but I honestly if everyone could see it for themselves, this world might just be a little less hateful and more tolerant of others from different backgrounds from ourselves.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My wife has been pestering me for years about going to India. I have zero interest in SE Asia, as Vietnam was plenty, thanks. The bugs, humidity, pollution and billions of people have no allure for me. I keep telling her to find a lady friend to go with her. But that's for India. What mainly keeps me from going to some places (like Asia or New Zealand or even SA) is the excruciating amount of time it takes to get there and back. Now that I'm older, the east coast of the US is about as far as I'm willing to go.

That said, I most certainly have traveled. I lived in Japan for about a year, in Europe for eight years, in sub-Saharan Africa for three years and in Cairo for about six months. I've also traveled extensively in the US.
My wife and I have flown to New Zealand and back twice, both not stop flights from San Francisco to Auckland. To break this long flight into pieces for our next flight this coming December, we are flying Seattle to Honolulu to Fiji to Auckland on our way there and Auckland to American Samoa to Maui to Seattle on our way home. Both trips will take about 6 days giving us a chance to visit some other places we have never visited plus we are saving a couple grand on airfare. Plus we won't have the 24 hour wait in Auckland for our rental car.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post

ETA: same thing with Stonehenge. I'd like to see it but I'd be just as satisfied with the various other henge sites around England.
I've always preferred Avebury. And there are a number of nice standing stones down in Cornwall and up in the north.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you like ruins, I highly recommend the old pueblos of the US Southwest. Places like Chaco Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Hovenweep and Mesa Verde are very cool.
If you're going to roam around Arizona looking at ruins* you can throw in Casa Grande as well. You can still see the hand prints in the adobe. If you're travel-impaired, Pueblo Grande ruins are about three miles from Sky Harbor airport (as you can tell in the photo). And, oh, we got more.

*See Grand Canyon first.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

In addition to Mesa Verde and Hovenweep, I've seen ruins/abandoned cliff villages at the Gila Cliff Dwellings and Bandelier National Monument in New Mexico, as well as Canyons of the Ancients in Colorado but in the last one the individual sites are spread apart and less accessible (well, technically more accessible since there aren't any rangers, but it's still marked as not allowed to climb up to them and there may be cameras.)

My two favorites are Balcony House at Mesa Verde and the Gila Cliff Dwellings, since they are the largest dwellings that you are allowed to walk into that I've been. Cliff Palace at Mesa Verde is larger but you don't really get to climb within the site, just view it from the walkway, and at the end walk up to it and stick your head in one of the houses. Gila Cliff Dwellings is slightly smaller than Balcony House but you can also walk around in it a little bit.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Um. Okay.
I've been to a "mild" camp once, part of a school trip. Sachsenhausen. I'm not in any way religious or superstitious or what, but to this day I will swear to Asha I saw a column of gaunt ghosts there. Place was eerie as fuck. Did not like.

No free cocktails, either. Would not recommend, would not go back without a gun to my head.
We visited the Maulthausen concentration camp complex in Austria while the family was biking along the Danube. Against my inclination. Maulthausen is the site of a granite quarry, so probably offered the worst forced-work conditions of all of them. (When the guards were told to conserve bullets, they started pushing inmates over the edge.) It was where the Nazis sent the most hardcore types of prisoners, the ones they were afraid of. Including...wait for it...Freemasons.

The whole experience was nightmare fuel, but I did appreciate the enormous field of memorials offered by every nationality, religion, ethnicity, etc., of those incarcerated.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My bucket list would include a trip through Belgium and France, to see the monuments and cemeteries along the Western Front of the Great War. I just finished a 20-year old book called BACK TO THE FRONT, which was about exactly that, except the guy hiked. I would prefer to bicycle or drive. Belgian seacoast to the Swiss border.

I don’t expect it to be any cheerier than the concentration complex, but I’m just an old Gloomy Gus.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
I have been to 5 or 6 Mardi Gras over the years, and while I always enjoyed it for what it was, for what the average tourist is likey to experience, there probably isn't a single worse day of the year to actually experience the "Real" New Orleans.

(of course if you had an "In" with a local and could somehow finagle an invitation to one of the various "Old Line Krewe" private balls, some of which have been held annually since before the Civil War, you probably couldn't do better at seeing a little slice of authentic Crescent City culture, albeit a very specific and exclusive slice that even most lifelong New Orleanians never get the chance to experience)

ETA---By far the best day to see the Mardi Gras Indians in all their splendor is "Super Sunday" the Sunday closest to St. Joseph's Day, NOT Mardi Gras.

Good to know, thanks mate !
Old 07-28-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Likewise, preferably while in Lillehammer, Norway.

Why Lillehammer? That's where some of GGGreatgrandparents lived before coming to America.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Not so much sight-seeing, but I hope I'll get to go to the New Orleans' Mardi Gras once. I mean I'm pretty sure I'd love the food, the booze, the general nonchalant joie de vivre any time of the year ; but then again why not go there when college chicks show off their tits and actively look for regrettable one night stands ?
Plus I really wanna see me one of them Indians in their full glory.
I travel vicariously through Chefguy's accounts of his experiences.

As for Mardi Gras in New Orleans, I will only state that it is supposed to be a gigantic PITA. I have not been, but I have close friends that did, and I mentioned going, and their attitude was, "We'll go if you want to, but, (sigh) it's not gonna' be what you're expecting..." You can't see anything, everyone is drunk, and there's nowhere to go to the bathroom. (They went into detail about needing pisstubes.) There are better places to be drunkenly debauched, is all I'm saying.

My own bucket list, that I've seen and recommend, are the redwoods of California. It is a spiritual experience to be among majestic living things 3500 years old and up.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
We visited the Maulthausen concentration camp complex in Austria while the family was biking along the Danube. Against my inclination. Maulthausen is the site of a granite quarry, so probably offered the worst forced-work conditions of all of them. (When the guards were told to conserve bullets, they started pushing inmates over the edge.) It was where the Nazis sent the most hardcore types of prisoners, the ones they were afraid of. Including...wait for it...Freemasons.

The whole experience was nightmare fuel, but I did appreciate the enormous field of memorials offered by every nationality, religion, ethnicity, etc., of those incarcerated.
Mauthausen was a brutal place. AIUI, the guards on the Death Stairway often offered a choice: shove this guy over the cliff, or jump yourself. They've renovated the stairway since 1940s; it's supposed to be much easier to climb now.

I regret not visiting Buchenwald when I drove near it, 20 years ago.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

“There are better places to be drunkenly debauched, is all I’m saying.”

Particularly New Orleans when it isn’t Mardi Gras!
Old 07-28-2019, 05:15 PM

The Northern Lights
Antartica
Maldives
Orient Express
Old 07-29-2019, 03:51 AM

I've got oldish (nearly 71), and am definitely on the poor side (my own stupid fault for not acting more sensibly earlier in life). My "bucket list" has more or less shrunk to one item. Am British, and a keen railfan: have travelled fairly comprehensively over the railways with passenger services in the British Isles, except for some big gaps in my coverage of Scotland.

Have never travelled on the northernmost stretch of railway in Britain: from Inverness to the mainland's effectively northernmost towns of any size: Thurso and Wick, about 100 miles north-east of Inverness as the crow flies, nearly twice that distance by rail (the rail route is very indirect). Reputedly: although not Scotland's most magnificently mountainous region -- a very interesting journey, scenic in its way, and traversing some large and wonderfully empty wilderness expanses. Am determined to do this journey, if I'm spared for another year or so; there are relatively affordable ways of accomplishing it. Am hoping to make it in midsummer next year -- in those latitudes at that time of year, daylight lasts very long and the hours of darkness are few.

Last edited by Sangahyando; 07-29-2019 at 03:53 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 07-29-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangahyando View Post
Have never travelled on the northernmost stretch of railway in Britain: from Inverness to the mainland's effectively northernmost towns of any size: Thurso and Wick, about 100 miles north-east of Inverness as the crow flies, nearly twice that distance by rail (the rail route is very indirect). Reputedly: although not Scotland's most magnificently mountainous region -- a very interesting journey, scenic in its way, and traversing some large and wonderfully empty wilderness expanses. Am determined to do this journey, if I'm spared for another year or so; there are relatively affordable ways of accomplishing it. Am hoping to make it in midsummer next year -- in those latitudes at that time of year, daylight lasts very long and the hours of darkness are few.
I just came down through that part of Scotland a couple of months ago, after a trip to Shetland and Orkney. We drove down along the east coast to Inverness, but the rail line was in sight much of the time. It is beautiful up there.

One rail bridge across a valley distinctly reminded me of the one in the Harry Potter movies (I don't know if it actually was the same bridge, though).
Old 07-29-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
New River Gorge Bridge and vicinity, including the Greenbrier Resort.
If you're adventurous go on a guided white water rafting trip on the New River. The mountains and river are beautiful, and some of the routes go under the bridge which is also spectacular. There are some really exciting rapids too, like drops of 8-10 feet. The trip I went on I think there were 7 of us in the boat with the guide in the back, we wore helmets and life vests, and a few people did fall out.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mapp View Post
I just came down through that part of Scotland a couple of months ago, after a trip to Shetland and Orkney. We drove down along the east coast to Inverness, but the rail line was in sight much of the time. It is beautiful up there.

One rail bridge across a valley distinctly reminded me of the one in the Harry Potter movies (I don't know if it actually was the same bridge, though).
No -- that bridge is over toward the west coast, on the wonderfully scenic line from Fort William to Mallaig (which I have travelled on a couple of times -- it's a superb run). Trivia department: said HP-associated structure, a curved viaduct, is an example of early use of reinforced concrete -- a wonderful new state-of-the-art invention at the time of building circa 1900.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:45 PM

1 - Greece (yes, all of it) - Going this December to see at least a good part of it, Zeus permitting.
2- Rome (ditto) Probably will never go since I had to save for about 3 years to go to Greece, but who knows?
3 - All the rest of Europe (definitively impossible)
4 - The Pyramids.
5 - A total solar eclipse.

Last edited by Frodo; 07-29-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:11 PM

I've been very fortunate to have already seen many of the places named in this thread.

In the US I'd still like to visit Glacier NP.

For reasons I can't explain the place I'd most like to visit outside the US is Bhutan.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
Definitely the Grand Canyon. Everyone I know who has been has said you have to see it - there's just no way TV or photos do it justice. Plus while I've been all over the East Coast of the US I haven't made it out west of the Mississippi much.
i had an unanticipated emotional reaction to seeing the grand canyon. it wasn't something i ever had on my own bucket list, but it turned out to be one of my most memorable domestic tripss. i'm sure it's bordering on cliche by now but, yes, you really do have to see it in person.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:31 PM

Southern Italy - my grandparents were born in Calabria
Ireland
Scotland
Hawaii
New England

I've been to most of the states west of the Mississippi, but none of them east other than Wisconsin and the UP.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:07 PM

I'd dearly love to go to Japan. I can speak a tiny smidge of Japanese (learned it in college), and I love the culture.

I also want to see Bali. I think this dates from when I saw Anthony Bourdain standing on the edge of a rice paddy in Bali, listening to an imam in the distance. Haunting.

And I'd like to see Norway, which my great-great grandfather left during the potato famine to homestead a farm in Minnesota. His village of origin is right in the heart of fjord country.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:01 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
I'd dearly love to go to Japan. I can speak a tiny smidge of Japanese (learned it in college), and I love the culture.

I also want to see Bali. I think this dates from when I saw Anthony Bourdain standing on the edge of a rice paddy in Bali, listening to an imam in the distance. Haunting.
One thing though -- while Indonesia is a Muslim country, the island of Bali is predominantly Hindu. But Bali is a good destination. I highly recommend the town of Ubud. And Lovina Beach on the northern coast for early-morning dolphin watching. Schools of them speed past you out on the water.

As for Japan, do it. It's our favorite place in the entire world.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 08-03-2019 at 09:02 PM.