Old 07-27-2019, 01:58 PM

Little moments where the movie *hasn't* spelled everything out for the audience.

X-Men 2: The Mastermind stand-in tries to influence Magneto but Mags just gives him a withering look and taps his helmet.

But I'm pretty sure we never had it explained to us that Magneto's helmet protects him from psionic attack. Maybe in the first movie?

Star Trek (2009): Vast portions of the plot just get explained in some 25 seconds by Spock and really require knowledge of outside source material. Also its more or less up to the audience to decide that either Nero spent most of 20 years in a Klingon prison camp or he just hung out is space waiting on Old Spock.

Also either the Narada is so advanced because of co-opted Borg tech (I hated that idea) or thats just how much better TNG tech is*

*Though TOS shield tech sure seemed to have it over TNG

Last edited by Dale Sams; 07-27-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
X-Men 2: The Mastermind stand-in tries to influence Magneto but Mags just gives him a withering look and taps his helmet.

But I'm pretty sure we never had it explained to us that Magneto's helmet protects him from psionic attack. Maybe in the first movie?
Pretty much, yeah. Xavier explains that he uses Cerebro to amplify his telepathy to locate mutants, and of course gets asked: “Why don't you just use it to find Magneto?” He replies: “l've been trying, but he's found some way to shield himself from it.” Later, after Magneto disarms a bunch of cops and gets away with a bunch of crimes, Xavier realizes: “His helmet was somehow designed to block my telepathy.”

So in X2, Magneto just quickly notes before the helmet tap: “This dorky-looking helmet is the only thing that's gonna protect me from the real bad guys.”
Old 07-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Pretty much, yeah. Xavier explains that he uses Cerebro to amplify his telepathy to locate mutants, and of course gets asked: “Why don't you just use it to find Magneto?” He replies: “l've been trying, but he's found some way to shield himself from it.” Later, after Magneto disarms a bunch of cops and gets away with a bunch of crimes, Xavier realizes: “His helmet was somehow designed to block my telepathy.”

So in X2, Magneto just quickly notes before the helmet tap: “This dorky-looking helmet is the only thing that's gonna protect me from the real bad guys.”
It's the ultimate tin-foil hat that protects the wearer from the mind control rays.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:40 PM

I love that at the end of Avengers:Endust, they send Cap back to "return the stones to the moment they were taken".

Ye gods, that'd be another three hours of screen time, multiple dramatic "heist" moments, and a lot of fanwanking (how do you put one back in Loki's sceptre, or the destroyed tessaract, and into Jane Foster)?

And they just do it all off-camera, no explanations, and it only takes the viewer thirty seconds to learn "Yep, all done, along with forty years of other stuff." "Ok, cool."
Old 07-27-2019, 04:19 PM

Alot of stupid people had a problem in Wonder Womanwhere you find out the the big bad was actually the British politician who most wanted peace negotiations with the Germans earlier in the film, reviewers I saw actually called the film out for literally "demonizing" the guy who wanted peace. But the thing thats fairly obvious considering the climax is that when peace DOES happen his plan is to surprise attack the peace ceremony thus causing such an uproar to continue the war so he could profit from it. He simply wanted peace because ironically at that point it would be the only real way to continue the war.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:28 PM

There was a segment of Fargo that always puzzled me. What was up with the old high school boyfriend calling up Marge and asking her out, and then she finds out he was lying about his life and job?

Then I read the reason for that scene: it was so that Marge could come to the conclusion that some people can lie really, really well. After she realized that, it was "maybe I should go back and ask that car salesman some more questions."

This wasn't spelled out, but it makes perfect sense after it was explained.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I love that at the end of Avengers:Endust, they send Cap back to "return the stones to the moment they were taken".

Ye gods, that'd be another three hours of screen time, multiple dramatic "heist" moments, and a lot of fanwanking (how do you put one back in Loki's sceptre, or the destroyed tessaract, and into Jane Foster)?

And they just do it all off-camera, no explanations, and it only takes the viewer thirty seconds to learn "Yep, all done, along with forty years of other stuff." "Ok, cool."
Cap had to return the stones to the exact moment they were taken... but they never said exact place, did they? I mean, couldn't he just have time traveled to Hoboken or someplace and FedExed the stones to S.H.I.E.L.D?

Now, what I would REALLY want to see is how Dr. Strange managed to wrangle all those heroes, wizards, troops and spaceships in the half hour or so between the moment he was snapped back into existence until they appeared on the battlefield. It was a truly mind-boggling feat of logistics - like organizing D-Day on your lunch break.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:27 PM
Horrified Onlooker

The origami unicorn in Blade Runner.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:42 PM

In Deluge (1933) the world undergoes a series of disasters, with no overt explanation given. Mentioned in passing is an unexpected eclipse of the moon, and it's up to you to figure out that the disaster is being caused by an asteroid passing way too close to the earth.

Last edited by Rocketeer; 07-27-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
There was a segment of Fargo that always puzzled me. What was up with the old high school boyfriend calling up Marge and asking her out, and then she finds out he was lying about his life and job?

Then I read the reason for that scene: it was so that Marge could come to the conclusion that some people can lie really, really well. After she realized that, it was "maybe I should go back and ask that car salesman some more questions."

Oooooh.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:43 AM

Dune the movie never explained that the reason you can ride a worm is that you open up its scales so therefore it won't burrow down because the sand would irritate the exposed tissue. Not explained but maybe you could guess it from context.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Now, what I would REALLY want to see is how Dr. Strange managed to wrangle all those heroes, wizards, troops and spaceships in the half hour or so between the moment he was snapped back into existence until they appeared on the battlefield. It was a truly mind-boggling feat of logistics - like organizing D-Day on your lunch break.
A Wizard did it.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Similarly to putting the stones back, in Captain America: Winter Soldier, where Sam is telling Steve and Natasha how the Falcon suit is kept in a Class 5 secure military facility, or whatever it was, and Steve and Natasha just look at each other and say "Yeah, no problem", and then they don't even bother showing how they carried out such a routine and boring operation.

One that I'm fond of is the Battle of Wits in The Princess Bride. Vizzini's "logic" was never the point. The point was just watching the Man in Black's reactions when he got to each conclusion. And if you watch closely, the Man in Black does in fact react more anxiously whenever he says that the poison is his cup, and calmly when he says that it's in Vizzini's. So from there, Vizzini just had to figure out if he was bluffing (or rather, whether he was even-order bluffing or odd-order bluffing), and Vizzini is really good at that.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:25 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeptfordX View Post
A Wizard did it.
Everyone: "WTF"

Strange: "Long story. Cap is in danger and needs our help."

Everyone: "Let's roll."
Old 07-29-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

In What Dreams May Come, there is a flashback to a scene where Robin Williams' character visited his wife in a mental hospital. They have a long, heart-to-heart conversation, but they never discuss what brought her to the hospital. However, if you are paying attention, you will notice that there is a scar on her wrist. And it runs lengthwise.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Also, most of the folks that Strange mobilized were the Wakandans, who were already mobilized for war at the time they got Snapped. Assuming that the Unsnap brought them back in the same condition as when they were vanished, all they needed was a quick re-cap of the changes in the tactical situation.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:01 PM

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Shaun of the Dead never explains the zombie plague, because the main characters are completely disinterested in learning about it.

Falcon being Captain America with the same skillset makes not much sense, considering he's just a normal but fit dude with a wingsuit. Ultimately I don't think it really matters to the plot or your enjoyment, so like Black Widow and Hawkeye he's able to fight with the rest of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeptfordX View Post
A Wizard did it.
Wait a minute. Xena can't fly.
I told you. I'm not Xena. I'm Lucy Lawless.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Also, most of the folks that Strange mobilized were the Wakandans, who were already mobilized for war at the time they got Snapped. Assuming that the Unsnap brought them back in the same condition as when they were vanished, all they needed was a quick re-cap of the changes in the tactical situation.
What about Valkyrie and the Asgardians? The Ravagers (I assume the spaceships were Ravagers)? The Wasp? Pepper? And Strange organized the whole thing while still on Titan - he had to contact all the wizards, explain the situation to them, assign their tasks, have them contact the people they were mobilizing, explain the situation to them, wait for them to line up before the portal... Organizing that many people that fast may sound easy, but it really isn't. There's a reason professionals study logistics.

I'm not saying it counln't be done, I'm just saying it was perhaps the most impressive feat performed that day.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
What about Valkyrie and the Asgardians? The Ravagers (I assume the spaceships were Ravagers)? The Wasp? Pepper? And Strange organized the whole thing while still on Titan - he had to contact all the wizards, explain the situation to them, assign their tasks, have them contact the people they were mobilizing, explain the situation to them, wait for them to line up before the portal... Organizing that many people that fast may sound easy, but it really isn't. There's a reason professionals study logistics.

I'm not saying it counln't be done, I'm just saying it was perhaps the most impressive feat performed that day.
Ah, but it was multiple portals. All he'd have to do is send a message: "Hi, Dr. Strange here. I'm opening a portal next to you, prepare to fight the hordes of Thanos."
Old 07-29-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Ah, but it was multiple portals.
Multiple portals, each opened by a different wizard, each of whom had to receive orders from Strange or some other wizard, who in turn had to receive orders from Strange..

Quote:
All he'd have to do is send a message: "Hi, Dr. Strange here. I'm opening a portal next to you, prepare to fight the hordes of Thanos."
"Who the fuck are you and why should I believe you?"
Old 07-29-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Don't forget he had several million tries to get it right.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:

...interestingly this came out last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=4vjs_0CoRs4

(How Avengers should have ended)

I had never actually thought about what it would take to return the stones until your post, then watching the video made me realize that the whole process would be infinately more complicated than I originally thought!
Old 07-29-2019, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
I had never actually thought about what it would take to return the stones until your post, then watching the video made me realize that the whole process would be infinately more complicated than I originally thought!
Yes, I assume he visited Red Skull back at the Soul Stone location. Must have been neat.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:49 AM

Not a movie, but from Doctor Who -

"But if the time lock's broken then everything's coming through; not just the Daleks but the Skaros Degradations; the Horde of Travesties; the Nightmare Child; the Could've Been King with his army of Meanwhiles and Never-Weres..."

A entire list of things that we've never seen or heard of before that seems to make the Doctor nervous as much as the Daleks. That's kind of terrifying.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Also with the Doctor: the Terrible Zodin, which has often been mentioned as his foe, but has never appeared in the series.

There is a conceit that the Doctor has visited many places outside of the TV and other adventures.

In the movie "Phantom Boy," the villain (The Man with the Crooked Face) whose face looks like a Picasso cubist painting, tries to tell the story of how he got that way. He's always interrupted, so we never find out.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Imagine what that experiance was like from Jane Foster's POV. She gets sucked into a protal to an alien world; infected with the Aether; taken by her God-Boyfiend to another alien planet to meet his God-Parents; attacked by a crazed, talking raccoon and having the Aether forcably removed, only to be attcked by Captain Freaking America seconds later to put it BACK IN; and then still have to go through the rest of the plot to Thor: The Dark World.

No wonder she and Thor broke up
Old 07-30-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

The movie Primer is like that, all the way through.

It's a time-machine flick, but you pretty much discover all of the weirdness as the guys in the film do, and it's up to you to interpret what is happening.
I really liked this style--it was thought provoking--but there were so many loose ends that I had to resort to finding a site that provided the explanations for everything.

On a tangent, the Godfather movies I and II did this to some extent not by intent, but because they omitted so much of the source material. Readers of the original book see hints at cut scenes all throughout the movies.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:23 PM

In the Ocean's Trilogy (2000's version Ocean's 11, 12 and 13), the crew frequently discuss the names of various cons they are considering pulling. Some are real, some are made up, but none are ever explained. It is left to the audience to go and look up what a "Billy Martin" is, or a "Crazy Larry" or "the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever".
Or wait for someone else to compile a list
Old 07-30-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
In the Ocean's Trilogy (2000's version Ocean's 11, 12 and 13), the crew frequently discuss the names of various cons they are considering pulling. Some are real, some are made up, but none are ever explained. It is left to the audience to go and look up what a "Billy Martin" is, or a "Crazy Larry" or "the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever".
Similarly there's a somewhat obscure George Clooney/Sam Rockwell movie called Welcome to Collinwood in which all of the characters, who are all small-time crooks, use a vocabulary of old-timey sounding criminal slang like "Bellini" (a perfect heist) and "Mullinski" (someone who confess to your crime and will do your prison time in exchange for money) throughout the film. None of it is ever explicitly explained, you have to figure out what they mean on your own.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
Or wait for someone else to compile a list
The Princess Bride has this exchange:

Inigo Montoya: You are using Bonetti’s Defense against me, ah?
Man in Black: I thought it fitting considering the rocky terrain.
Inigo: Naturally, you must suspect me to attack with Capa Ferro?
Man in Black: Naturally, but I find that Thibault cancels out Capa Ferro. Don’t you?
Inigo: Unless the enemy has studied his Agrippa… which I have.

All real people, though not necessarily showing their actual techniques.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

There's a lot of this in Tarantino movies, but my favorite "little bit that you were supposed to get" comes in Kill Bill vol. 1, the motorcycle scene. The Bride pulls up to the stoplight, next to Oren Ishii's henchwoman Sofie Fatale. The bride looks over as Sofie's phone rings a very familiar tune, seeing her pick it up and talking Japanese to the person on the other end. There's a (anime) flashback to the murders at the beginning of the movie where you now see, clearly, that Sofie Fatale was there as well. The Bride, shaken, roars off, running a stoplight.

What wasn't explained: That the Bride had amnesia regarding Sofie Fatale's presence until she heard the cell phone tone.
How you are supposed to understand this is the case: The tune Sofie's cell phone played? Auld Lang Syne. The words to the part of the tune which was playing? "Of auld acquaintance we forgot..."
Old 07-31-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post

"But if the time lock's broken then everything's coming through; not just the Daleks but the Skaros Degradations; the Horde of Travesties; the Nightmare Child; the Could've Been King with his army of Meanwhiles and Never-Weres..."

A entire list of things that we've never seen or heard of before that seems to make the Doctor nervous as much as the Daleks. That's kind of terrifying.
I actually started a thread about lines like the one you quoted, including that very line: Favorite Sci-Fi Mumbo-Jumbo. However, I do think there's a difference between things we the viewers are supposed to understand ourselves, which is what this thread is about, and things we have no way of understanding ourselves, which is what the linked thread was about.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
What wasn't explained: That the Bride had amnesia regarding Sofie Fatale's presence until she heard the cell phone tone.
How you are supposed to understand this is the case: The tune Sofie's cell phone played? Auld Lang Syne. The words to the part of the tune which was playing? "Of auld acquaintance we forgot..."
I thought that was pretty clear without knowing what the song was.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:05 PM

Schindlers List.

The whole movie was a warning to the world and a statement to the world. But that one moment of the Jewish Police -- that was for people who knew the history, and that was speaking to them.

And now for something completely diferent: "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" I loved it when the Blue Blaze Irregular helicopter just appears and drops a ladder to him. Of course there is a helicopter Some of my friends who like to have everything spelled out just found that irritating.

Last edited by Melbourne; 08-01-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Shaun of the Dead never explains the zombie plague, because the main characters are completely disinterested in learning about it.
It's been a while since I saw it. But, I remember a scene with a TV newscast in the background. We hear about a new and impressive satellite leaking radiation that is having strange effects.

BTW I feel that Shaun Of The Dead has the most realistic zombie apocalypse. Things are bad for a bit. Then, the military gets rid of the undead hordes.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:15 PM

Trading Places. The ending is still unclear what exactly is happening, all you know is that Dan and Eddie have the real information and the Duke brothers have fake info. Somehow they make a mint when the real report is broadcast by buying stock after it happens. I know this has been explained but it is really not clear how they are making so much money.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
It's been a while since I saw it. But, I remember a scene with a TV newscast in the background. We hear about a new and impressive satellite leaking radiation that is having strange effects.

BTW I feel that Shaun Of The Dead has the most realistic zombie apocalypse. Things are bad for a bit. Then, the military gets rid of the undead hordes.
I think there are other contradictory stories?

Yeah, zombie movies rely on people holding the idiot ball a lot of times. 28 whatever Later were pretty realistic too, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic View Post
Trading Places. The ending is still unclear what exactly is happening, all you know is that Dan and Eddie have the real information and the Duke brothers have fake info. Somehow they make a mint when the real report is broadcast by buying stock after it happens. I know this has been explained but it is really not clear how they are making so much money.
It's pretty clear, but requires specific knowledge. They basically sell stock they don't actually hold when the price is high by promising to buy it at a future date when the price is ?. It's a very risky bet, but helped by them learning about plans earlier.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:23 AM

In the 1984 version of "Dune", Paul apparently makes it rain. That's not in the book, weather control is not one of Paul's stated abilities in either the book nor the movie, and it's done without any explanation whatsoever. It seems to exist ONLY so that Alya can say that Paul is the Kwisatz Haderach (Well, that was a totally inane and irrelevant because weather control also isn't a stated ability of the Kwisatz Haderach, which only means that he can access genetic memory, not turn into Storm from the X-Men.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I was like, "man, those worms are fucked."
Old 08-02-2019, 05:20 PM

In the movie adaption of "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban", they never explain how Remus Lupin and Sirius Black know about the Marauders Map, and (nor does Harry even bother to ask). That annoys the hell out of me. Otherwise, it would probably be my favorite movie of the whole series.

SPOILER:

They, along with Harry's father and Peter Pettigrew, were the ones who created the Map in the first place.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 08-02-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
In the movie adaption of "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban", they never explain how Remus Lupin and Sirius Black know about the Marauders Map, and (nor does Harry even bother to ask). That annoys the hell out of me. Otherwise, it would probably be my favorite movie of the whole series.
Not having read the books, I liked that they never explained it. It made Lupin and Black look like smart people who knew interesting things and had a history at Hogwarts. Having them be the ones who made it would have been too cutesy and contrived.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post

SPOILER:

They, along with Harry's father and Peter Pettigrew, were the ones who created the Map in the first place.
It's maybe even worse by the fact that Harry refers to Sirius as "Padfoot" 2 movies later without ever explaining it.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
He had help. He even asked Wang if he got everyone.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Avengers: Endgame How Captain Marvel...
SPOILER:
finds or even knows to look for Iron Man. I thought it was fairly obvious that she had returned to Earth at the end of Captain Marvel (post-credits scened) and then was sent out to find Iron Man, who had been broadcasting an SOS (similar to the way the Asgardians had which led to the Guardians finding them). But it seemed without specifically spelling it out, it went over many's heads.

Given everything else outside of spoilers about the movie, that probably wasn't necessary, but I've been ticketed before by the Spoiler Police.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Avengers: Endgame How Captain Marvel...
SPOILER:
finds or even knows to look for Iron Man. I thought it was fairly obvious that she had returned to Earth at the end of Captain Marvel (post-credits scened) and then was sent out to find Iron Man, who had been broadcasting an SOS (similar to the way the Asgardians had which led to the Guardians finding them). But it seemed without specifically spelling it out, it went over many's heads.

Given everything else outside of spoilers about the movie, that probably wasn't necessary, but I've been ticketed before by the Spoiler Police.
SPOILER:
It doesn't even have to have been a general SOS. Remember, Rocket was there on Earth - he probably installed some sort of LoJack on his own ship, and all he had to do was give her the code.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:19 PM
SDSAB

Two Nolan films, Memento and Inception, leave a lot of stuff unexplained. That's part of why they're so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post

A previous thread on that scene: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=391881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
...all they needed was a quick re-cap....
ISWYDT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldurson View Post
In the 1984 version of "Dune", Paul apparently makes it rain....
Huh. I found this on YouTube, but never saw it in the theater or on DVD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVx6bXoCnC0. I liked this comment by a fan: "What all of the Fremen should have been saying at the end: Great, now all the sandworms will die and they’ll be no more spice. Damn you Space Jesus!!!"
Old 08-06-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
It's pretty clear, but requires specific knowledge. They basically sell stock they don't actually hold when the price is high by promising to buy it at a future date when the price is ?. It's a very risky bet, but helped by them learning about plans earlier.
They filmed the Exchange scenes in the actual exchange and used real traders for all the extras. And apparently, the prices used for FCOJ were realistic too. The impossible Hollywood part was that it changed so much in only 5 minutes instead of several hours or days.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:15 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post

One of my favorite Doctor Who things is in 'Blink'. It's a great episode in which the Doctor is only adjacent to the plot. Toward the end he's actually there with Martha and is just passing through. During his brief conversation with the protagonist Martha - inexplicably holding a bow and arrow - is more and more frantically urging him to get a move one.

"We have to go!"
"Let's go!"
"Doctor, they're HATCHING!"

The doctor is having his own adventure completely disconnected from the plot of the story we're watching. We never learn about it, I believe.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic View Post
They assume you know how futures contracts work- you're agreeing to sell/buy a specific amount for a specific price at some future date. The whole thing hinges on shenanigans surrounding the date/time/price.

Brief chronology:

Winthorpe and Valentine (Ackroyd & Murphy) feed the fake information to the Dukes (crop will be bad), who tells their trader to keep buying OJ futures, regardless of how high the price goes, which drives the prices high.

When the price gets really high, Winthorpe offers to sell for a lower price($1.42) on April 30th (a future). People jump on it- this is a LOW price, and they think they're going to rob Winthorpe. So they buy from him at $1.42, thinking they're getting a steal.

Then the crop info comes out, and the news is that it'll be fine- there will be no constraints on the OJ supply. So the price won't actually be high in the future- it'll be relatively low.

So they all start selling their futures that they bought high, in hopes of not losing too much money on the deal. Winthorpe and Valentine then proceed to buy a whole bunch of futures at a dramatically lower price($0.29).

At this point, they've basically bought at 29 cents and are selling for 1.42. That's how they made their money. Meanwhile, the Dukes did the opposite- they bought at 1.42 and sold at 29 cents, bankrupting themselves.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...trading-places