Old 07-28-2019, 10:26 AM

I hate water (for drinking)

I hate water (for drinking).
I don’t think I‘ve had five glasses in the last nine years.
Instead I drink caffeine free Diet Coke. Lots of Caffeine Free Diet Coke.
72 ounces a day, much more liquid than most people deink liquid.
While caffeine Free Diet Coke may, or may not, cause kidney stones in smaller dies, my kidneys are clear. Perhaps the large amount of Caffeine Free Diet Coke washes them out.

However, while caffeine Free Diet Coke would seem to be as good as water for hydration, there is the issue of the chemicals that make it
Non-calorie.
Question
1. There is little or no evidence that the chemical do any harm.
2. There is some evidence, but it doesn’t outweigh the value of the large amount of liquid.
3. There is considerable evidence of harm and it is best to get off Caffeine Free Diet Coke NOW.

If the answer is “3”, is there a non-calorie drink (other than water) that does not have the dangers of caffeine Free Diet Cole?
Old 07-28-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

I hate tap water, and individually bottled water is too expensive; I usually compromise by buying the gallon jugs of water sold in the supermarket for ~$0.99

If I have a craving for fizziness, I drink club soda.

Admittedly though I also drink a ton of decaf diet soda.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Here ya go.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:10 AM

I'm not a doctor but I think you would do better to use ice to make water less tap like, if you can't filter it to your needs.

I make a very large herbal tea in the AM, have half a cup out of it, and then drink it for the rest of the day cold. It's the best way to quench my thirst.

Seltzers are great when you open the can, but flattening and a little warmth make it much less appealing. Plus it's hard to drink sodas fast without some discomfort.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Right there with you, not a fan. Of course I’d drink it if dying, but otherwise it lacks flavour, in my opinion.

I’m not much for soda pop either, ginger ale is ok in a pinch.

I drink tea, and a lot of highly diluted Ribena (black currant cordial).
Old 07-28-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

I prefer my water to be beechwood aged, cold filtered, fully krausened...

The Lake Michigan tap water we get here in Chicago is fantastic.
That said, most mornings, I grab a can of room temperature Aldi knockoff La Croix (Vie Belle) grapefruit to drink during my half hour drive to work. It's a routine at this point.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:57 AM

Caffeine Free Diet Coke is (assuming the UK and US products are the same) sweetened with aspartame and acesulfame potassium. I don't know a lot about the latter but I have worked on aspartame - this was a pharma application, so as you can imagine the standards for evidence are high.

This link is a useful starting point for digging around in technical reviews.

Quote:
In a statement published today, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) concludes that two recent publications on the safety of artificial sweeteners, namely a carcinogenicity study in mice (Soffritti et al., 2010[1]) and an epidemiological study on the association between intakes of artificially sweetened soft drinks and increased incidence of preterm delivery (Halldorsson et al., 2010[2]) do not give reason to reconsider previous safety assessments of aspartame or of other sweeteners currently authorised in the European Union.
So that's what they say.

One thing I would add - you must be drinking a colossal amount of this stuff; aspartame really isn't that stable, and so for pharma use there's a good reason to formulate pH to the optimum for aspartame stability. That pH happens to be pretty acidic. I'm guessing that for similar reasons soft drinks using aspartame are likewise pretty acidic. If that's right, you might want to talk to your dentist about what you're exposing your teeth to on a daily basis.

As to the categories of risk in the OP, I would go for

2. There is some evidence......

- there's always evidence. Should you worry? Check out what EFSA or the FDA have to say - they seem fairly cool about it, for the moment. But I would say that the question isn't

2........but it doesn’t outweigh the value of the large amount of liquid.

As others have pointed out, there are alternatives. You're not (or should not be) measuring the absolute risk vs dying of dehydration, you're measuring the relative risk vs available alternatives.

Just sayin'

j

PS: careful as you google - aspartame scares are one of the favourite hotbeds of food crankery and conspiracy theorising.

Last edited by Treppenwitz; 07-28-2019 at 12:00 PM. Reason: More typos than I usually manage
Old 07-28-2019, 12:08 PM

I don't like water, whether it's distilled, tap, bottled, etc, as it doesn't have a taste. I only consume water that has additives: juice, milk, or soda.

Fortunately I have a high metabolic rate; I have to actively try to gain weight. Calories present in these substances don't bother me at all. I avoid diet and "zero calorie" drinks.

If someone wants to build me a Star Trek-style transporter so I can teleport water directly into my stomach, I will happily start "drinking" water.

Last edited by Kimera757; 07-28-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:28 PM

I always get amused when someone pontifically tells me that people need to drink eight glasses of water daily, and "caffeinated and alcoholic beverages do not count!!!"

For many years all I ever drank was coffee, iced tea, wine, cocktails and the occasional beer. By their rules I should be dead by now.

These days, I do drink water and sparkling water, but nowhere near eight glasses per day.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:36 PM

Huh. I love water. Drink lots. I always have a glass that I leave out in the kitchen so I can grab a few ounces.

Hate, hate, hate sparkling water. When in Germany, that was the standard with meals. It sucked.

~ Funny story. Once at my brothers house I had a glass just set on the counter top so I could grab a quick drink when I wanted. SOP. My wife, trying to be a good house guest, would see a 'dirty' glass and put it in the dishwasher. Huh, glass is gone so I'd grab another.

At the end of the day, we where out of clean glasses.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:51 PM

Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.

- W.C. Fields
Old 07-28-2019, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
Questions about food and drink go in Cafe Society.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]
Questions about food and drink go in Cafe Society.
The OP actually had a science-and-nutrition type General Question that most posters have been ignoring, perhaps because he padded it with so much opinion of his own.

But now that we're in Cafe Society, can I say I think it's weird how many people say they hate drinking water because it doesn't have any taste. That's like saying you don't like breathing pure, clean air because it doesn't have any smell. Water isn't wine: you're not supposed to taste it, you're supposed to gulp it down and quench your thirst.

"Hate" seems an awfully strong word to use for something that, even if it doesn't have any positive qualities, doesn't have any negative qualities either. Your life on the whole must kick ass if the things you hate, you hate just because they don't provide you with enough pleasurable sensations.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.

- W.C. Fields
Water? Never touch the stuff. Fish fuck in it.

--W. C. Fields.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Younger brother in The Boondocks comic strip: “Hey! There’s no Kool-Aid or soda in the fridge! What am I supposed to drink?”

Older brother: “Try a glass of water. It’s like giving your insides a shower.”
Old 07-28-2019, 04:09 PM

Wow! Water is just about all I drink, other than a couple of cups of coffee in the a.m. Maybe an occasional iced tea or lemonade...

Yeah, Chicago has great water, but most big cities do as well. Was recently in Austin Tx and St Paul MN, and Denver, and Cincy - all had fine water outta the tap. No idea why anyone with access to (and already paying for) such would pop for bottled water.

Sure, I've been to places w/ well water that I didn't love.

But wow!
Old 07-28-2019, 09:35 PM

I only drink water in extended hikes or when in a very dry place and giving a conference. If I'm thirsty I avoid water.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:41 PM

Water is awesome.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ají de Gallina View Post
If I'm thirsty I avoid water.
This makes no sense to me. I mean, are you trying to avoid hyponatremia? If so, that's pretty extreme. I dunno. Growing up, if we were thirsty, we went straight to the water fountain. Nothing quenches my thirst like water, or water with a little bit of salt and sugar in it if I'm severely parched. And by that, I mean severely parched. Back when I used to do thirteen mile runs as part of my workout, plain ol' water was just fine to keep me going.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-28-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:21 PM

Cold water on a hot day is a brilliant drink. The sensation one gets is far beyond mere taste.

I only drink three fluids. Water (lots), wine(...........OK, lots as well), and beer (occasionally).
Old 07-28-2019, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Oh, water cold we may pour at need
Down a thirsty throat, and be glad indeed
But better is beer, if drink we lack
And water hot, poured down the back
Old 07-28-2019, 11:24 PM
BANNED

I am not a big water drinker either and people have gotten on my ass for years for it.

I will say lately I have been drinking several glasses of ice water, because it is wet and cold against the summer heat. The coldness outweighs the taste or lack thereof. In the winter I never drink water.

Being overseas for several years and then returning home, it amazes me when go to convenience stores how BIG bottles of soda are. Basically pint sized bottle of drink for like $2.50. Just ridiculous to me. I don’t want that much soda.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:25 AM

Pills work better thane coffee, except maybe the Turkish stuff that dissolve spoons.
Too much phosphoric acid in coke.
RO (reverse osmosis) water is supposed to be $0.38 a gallon not 99.
If you don't like it, you can always add a touch of lime or lemon juice, no sweetener needed.
Earl Grey tea is also good, as is Orange mint tea.
If you are drinking exclusively RO, consider getting your own unit.
It'll get rid of iron and sulphur. Calcium carbonate is however, tasty.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:39 AM

If you're desperate for the sweet stuff, Kool-Aid with 1/3 the sugar, or Stevia, and a little NaCl/KCl is tasty. Recipes all over the web. Get the KCL concentration right, or you'll kill yourself. Round here Kool-Aid usually goes on sale in July for 10 cents a pack. That gets you 3 quarts of gatorade at 8 cents a bottle. I make my 20X salt stock 17.7g KCl, 81g NaCl - 50 ml per quart final.
Stevia is extremely soluble in 20% ethanol, so you can easily get sugar equivalents up to 1 tablespoon per drop.
Buy steviosides online, pure, in bulk, or you are paying 50-100 times too much.

Last edited by Squink; 07-29-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
That article is filled with non-sequiturs, confusion of cause and effect and misuse of statistics. For example, the assertion that artificial sweeteners lead to weight gain. The fact is, most artificial sweeteners are consumed by people who are already overweight and who continue to gain weight. It's not the sweeteners that are causing the weight gain.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Remember guys "We're all ugly bags of mostly water".
Old 07-29-2019, 07:28 AM

I LOVE drinking plain old water, as long as it's fridge cold. I have a britta filter at home for this purpose, and a water cooler at work, so this isn't a problem. I can't stand fizzy water - just don't find it thirst quenching.

I've invested in a chilly bottle so I always have ice cold water with me - I've stopped buying evil plastic water bottles.

Thinking about it, water is the only non-alcoholic or non-caffeine-drenched thing I drink. Other than that, it's coffee, red wine and the odd G&T. I don't drink soda and avoid fruit juices (not worth the calories).

Last edited by SanVito; 07-29-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:35 AM

We have a water cooler and a carbonation unit. Ice cold polar water, sparkling or still as desired. I try to drink a glass of water for every beer I drink, which turns out to be a huge amount of water.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:33 AM

I love water, it quenches my thirst like no other drink. That said, I don't like tap water with a chlorine taste, and I don't like all bottled waters like Aquafina. Deer Park is my favorite bottled water, but good well water with some minerals is the best.

I love cold water but over the years have acclimated to room temperature as well.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:10 AM

I love water so much, that my body right this minute is 60% water!
Old 07-29-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post

But now that we're in Cafe Society, can I say I think it's weird how many people say they hate drinking water because it doesn't have any taste. That's like saying you don't like breathing pure, clean air because it doesn't have any smell. Water isn't wine: you're not supposed to taste it, you're supposed to gulp it down and quench your thirst.
Breathing is automatic; drinking is something I have to think about. If I had to make a point 2 or 3 times a day to stick my head in a bag and inhale oxygen, I suspect I would enjoy it more if it were scented. As it is, I'm only going to drink a certain amount of liquid every day, why not make it something I actively enjoy, like an herbal tea or a cold brew coffee?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

I don't drink "just plain water" either. Not a bit. However, I probably keep 7-11 in business singlehandedly with the amount of fountain Diet Coke Big Gulps I consume. And/or about a pitcher of iced tea a day. The iced tea is plain. No sugar; no sweeteners; no flavorings; not even lemon. How is that appreciably different than water? (Other than the caffeine!)

Last edited by divemaster; 07-29-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added caffeine caveat
Old 07-29-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
I LOVE drinking plain old water, as long as it's fridge cold. I have a britta filter at home for this purpose, and a water cooler at work, so this isn't a problem. I can't stand fizzy water - just don't find it thirst quenching.

I've invested in a chilly bottle so I always have ice cold water with me - I've stopped buying evil plastic water bottles.

Thinking about it, water is the only non-alcoholic or non-caffeine-drenched thing I drink. Other than that, it's coffee, red wine and the odd G&T. I don't drink soda and avoid fruit juices (not worth the calories).
This is almost exactly me. For some reason, room temperature water makes me slightly nauseated. But nothing quenches my thirst like cold water. Sodas have an aftertaste and leave me thirstier than I was before.

I do occasionally drink a San Pellegrino Blood Orange drink, but even one a week is more than the average.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:00 PM

I honestly thought I was alone in my loathe for drinking water. Nice to know I have compatriots.

I force myself to drink water and hate every minute of it. Usually the force comes because I'm working out after work and I know I need the hydration. Other than that, I will never choose to drink water when anything with flavor is available.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I like water so much I won't drink anything unless it contains at least a hint of it.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:04 PM

We have some of the best water in the nation right out of the tap. Mr. Salinqmind hated drinking water and lived on coffee and Diet Coke most of his life, but once I began putting water bottles of our tap water in the refrigerator - it was a revelation. He actually started drinking that on occasion because icy cold was so much better than room temperature. He sometimes dilutes his Diet Coke with Polar Orange Vanilla seltzer (Polar has countless 'flavors', no sugar, very mild. The Candy Cane they sell in winter tastes like club soda that was stirred briefly with a peppermint stick.) And of course Gatorade Zero.

That said, isn't drinking ice water on a hot day supposed to be dangerous? I've heard it can cause your esophagus to go into spasms, and other ills.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:37 PM

I love a cold glass of water on a hot day. Not just because it's cold, but because it tastes good. Things were not ever thus. I remember when I was about, oh, 15 or so, (40 year ago) and my Dad had just taken a sip of water. He said, "ah, that's good water". It never occurred to me until that day that you could appreciate a glass of water for its taste. What a bizarre idea it seemed, given that water has no taste. Or at least I thought way back then. Now, rarely a drink of water goes by that I don't say out loud, or to myself, "that's good water." The things you can learn from your Dad!

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 07-29-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:40 PM

Room temp tap water is by far the main thing I drink. Aside from that, I only drink juice (unsweetened) or beer.

I run the tap water through a filter jug at home, if I can't do that just letting it stand for a while is pretty good for getting rid of the nasty tap water taste.

I wish that I'd been sensible enough to learn to love tap water decades before I did. At least I was sensible enough to never take up coffee.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and you don't need to go completely sugar-free, either. When I drink tea (fairly frequently), it's not sugar-free: I add about a teaspoon full of honey or sugar, because I like my tea to have some sweetness to it. But the same quantity of non-diet pop would run the equivalent of about 20 teaspoons of sugar. So by comparison with pop, my drink of choice has almost no sugar.

Everything in moderation. Sugar isn't bad, unless you get too much of it. It's really easy to get too much of it if you're drinking pop. It's much harder to get too much of it if you're getting one spoonful per cup of tea.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
This makes no sense to me. I mean, are you trying to avoid hyponatremia? If so, that's pretty extreme. I dunno. Growing up, if we were thirsty, we went straight to the water fountain. Nothing quenches my thirst like water, or water with a little bit of salt and sugar in it if I'm severely parched. And by that, I mean severely parched. Back when I used to do thirteen mile runs as part of my workout, plain ol' water was just fine to keep me going.
For me it's soda all the way. Water only when unavoidable.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Younger brother in The Boondocks comic strip: “Hey! There’s no Kool-Aid or soda in the fridge! What am I supposed to drink?”
That is me. Fortunately I can go to the corner store in such an emergency
Old 08-03-2019, 09:26 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Water is awesome.
Indeed. Access to clean water is something too many of us take for granted, especially when you look around the world and see what water access is like for most people.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

ETA: Board issues made this a double post.

Last edited by Ike Witt; 08-03-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I don't know that all of those are conclusive (e.g. there's a fair bit of controversy about whether artificial sweeteners affect insulin production, and the diabetes etc. correlation is just that, correlation != causation).

That said: I've found that flavored seltzers are a pretty good option. I won't drink enough plain water, but I will drink flavored seltzer. The store brands are pretty economical but the brand names are very nice.