Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 07-30-2019, 04:32 PM
thorny locust is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocky2002 View Post
Ok. I come from a forum full of guys who complain of women and their standards in dating
Why am I not surprised?

Congratulations on expanding your information to sources outside that forum, including actual women. Double congratulations if you actually listen to such women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocky2002 View Post
Tinder women lol they straight up list their 'requirements' if you will
Speaking of which: how do you know those are even women? Plenty of bots on Tinder.

Even presuming that some of them are, and are actually looking for partners and not just for giggles:

One: they're far from a complete sample.

Two: Lots of people who say they're looking for tall, dark, and handsome end up screwing, loving, and marrying skinny, short, and bald -- not as a desperate compromise, but because that's the specific person who, in actual person, they found out that they wanted. Older people with more experience may be more likely to have consciously realized this; but if you just open your eyes and look around at couples seen in a wide variety of circumstances, you'll see plenty of such combinations at any age.
  #102  
Old 07-30-2019, 04:32 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
A group of men online who complain about women and the fact that they're not getting the results they want out of dating and ascribe their dissatisfaction to something they can't fix (e.g.:height, penis size) rather than something they can but which is unpleasant and difficult to change (e.g.:attitude, personality, habits). "If I don't have the dating life I wish I had, it's because women won't even consider men who aren't tall and don't have large genitalia", is that the summary of their complaint? Although it may be accurate in a small percentage of cases, I'd be wary of taking that complaint and explanation at face value
Wait -

Is this forum
not the kind of place where one
can detect that
everyone there thinks women
like men based only on superficial qualities
?
  #103  
Old 07-30-2019, 04:44 PM
Corry El is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocky2002 View Post
Let's say, 5'7 with an 8 inch penis versus 6'4 with a 4 inch penis. For guys who would you rather be, and for ladies who would you rather date?

Trying to settle a debate. I think the answer is penis size more important
In fairness to this post, the ones stating how it's really all about a guy's laugh, his personality etc. are not really answering which of these two 'lesser' issues is the *relatively* more important.

But I believe it's about as obvious as anything could be that height is the more important of those by many times if 'date' means straight men seek out as many (not at the same time necessarily) attractive female partners for sex as possible. It's still a relatively rare social setting where a women will know the guy's penis size at square 1 and make a decision to even entertain his first line based on it. But she'll see his height and there's a huge advantage in pick up/hook up situations in being 6-4 over 5-7, other apparent characteristics equal. Saying 'well if the 6-4 guy is a complete jerk with unbearable bad breath' ...but that's not a logical comparison, why would we assume that? When you ask if X is important the logical assumption is 'all else equal'. Or even close to equal when it comes to the obvious huge advantage tall guys have in casual pick up situations over short guys. That's not reasonably debatable IMO no matter what anyone said on a previous thread.

If 'date' means build a long term relationship (perhaps marriage) then I think at the same time the arguments that neither height nor penis size are really important *and* an argument in favor of relative importance of penis size would both be more plausible. The latter because a particularly small penis could be a factor in a satisfying relationship in the long run, though much less often practically enters into getting sex in the first place. The former because even in the semi-rational game of romance people give more consideration to stuff like 'do I want to be with this person the vast majority of life that isn't composed of sex?' when it comes to long term relationships.

Last edited by Corry El; 07-30-2019 at 04:46 PM.
  #104  
Old 07-30-2019, 04:47 PM
Helena330's Avatar
Helena330 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Near Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 3,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
Wait... can't I be insecure about my height? I'm fine with my penis size. I'm about 5'9". It'd be better for me if women were more concerned about penis size than height.
There isn't anything at all wrong with 5'9".
  #105  
Old 07-30-2019, 04:54 PM
Sicks Ate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: KS, US
Posts: 6,570
Anecdote: About 90 minutes in to our first date, I had to assure my now-wife that the size of my penis was not proportional to my rather extraordinary height.

If it was, that would have been a deal-breaker.

I've also never had a woman say "Damn you're tall, you must have a huge dick! Can I sit on it?!?!"

So my experience, FWIW.
  #106  
Old 07-30-2019, 04:56 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Even presuming that some of them are, and are actually looking for partners and not just for giggles:

One: they're far from a complete sample.

Two: Lots of people who say they're looking for tall, dark, and handsome end up screwing, loving, and marrying skinny, short, and bald -- not as a desperate compromise, but because that's the specific person who, in actual person, they found out that they wanted. Older people with more experience may be more likely to have consciously realized this; but if you just open your eyes and look around at couples seen in a wide variety of circumstances, you'll see plenty of such combinations at any age.

Three : Tinder is notoriously a one-night stand lookout app.
It's not exclusively that, but that's the reputation it has and a big reason people of both sexes log on it : for quick, meaningless fucks. Within that context, priorities get weighted differently and it's not altogether surprising that "physically fit, chocolate bar abs, big strong dick" would get weighted higher than "Woody Allen-like sense of humour" by women - just like "pornstar tits" would get weighted higher than "kichen superhero" by men. If EVERYTHING about the prospective relationship is about fucking, then superficial fuck-related topics will perforce be more relevant than anything else.

And even if there are deeper, more important fuck-related topics than strict fitness & appearance (e.g. "does he know what to do with his tongue ?") it's not like you can take people's word on it. So far, there isn't a Yelp for cocks and/or vag (that I know of).


But when looking for something beyond "fuck 'em once and never learn their name" relationships (which, to my mind, is so utterly useless - you never fuck 'em right on the first night ! You don't know how they work yet ! C'mon !), women will obviously look beyond those superficial criteria, much like men will for that matter. That's where the "smart and makes me laugh" stuff comes into play. I mean obviously I'd prefer if the next girl I fall in hopeless retarded love with could suck my Adam's apple all the way down - yet if she can only get it down to my lungs BUT she can make me laugh OR at least doesn't roll her eyes when I'm talking at length about min-max D&D builds AND she can steam xiaolong baos worth a damn, we can still start talking shared flat.

In either case pornstar tits are absolutely surplus to requirements. I fully expect women are the same, although the sinful slatterns might be more lenient re:xialong baos. Which just demonstrates that women have no soul.
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
  #107  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:00 PM
Helena330's Avatar
Helena330 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Near Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 3,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corry El View Post
In fairness to this post, the ones stating how it's really all about a guy's laugh, his personality etc. are not really answering which of these two 'lesser' issues is the *relatively* more important.
I'm well aware I'm not answering it. It's an unanswerable question. Maybe at some point, one will become an issue because of physical logistics, but how we as a couple deal with anything has so many more nuances than that. I absolutely can not answer "tall* guy with small* penis or shorter* guy with large* penis?"

* Extrapolating even further, these preferences can vary so much between women that it's a waste of time for you guys to worry about them.
  #108  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:06 PM
thorny locust is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
As a 6'1" man, I've worried the fact that I've stood at a head taller than some of the women I've dated. It feels like something's wrong when you want them to stand on a stepstool when kissing.

Now that my fears have been confirmed, I will become neurotic now.
Nah, don't worry about it. (Yes, I know you're joking.) That's not why I split up with either of them.

One was a lot more interested in another one of my friends. The other one was verbally abusive and trying to cut me off from my friends, in addition to various other sorts of obnoxious behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Understand this truth about penis:

Anything at all about a penis matters far, far, far more to men than it ever will to women. It's not that women are opposed to penis*, it's just not as important to us as it is to you. .
This. Very much this.

We tend to assume that men have one. (If you don't, mention this at some point before taking clothes off. Some women will mind, others won't.) And we tend to assume that it probably works. (If yours doesn't work at all in a sexual sense -- by which I don't mean that you're worried about its size -- and you're trying to get into a relationship in which its working would be likely to be relevant, then mention this before getting too far along. Again, some women will mind, others won't.) Some of us think they look neat, some of us think they look silly, very few of us care much about the details.


Corry El:
Quote:
there's a huge advantage in pick up/hook up situations in being 6-4 over 5-7
Cite please?

Even if true on average (and I really would like to see some cites before granting that -- cites of actual success, not of people looking at pictures and given two pieces of information), it certainly isn't true for anywhere near all women.
  #109  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:06 PM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 46,169
Oh.
So you didn't want a twelve inch pianist.

And thanks to the OP for kind of doing affirmative action on dumb sex-based threads.
  #110  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:19 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Nah, don't worry about it. (Yes, I know you're joking.) That's not why I split up with either of them.

One was a lot more interested in another one of my friends. The other one was verbally abusive and trying to cut me off from my friends, in addition to various other sorts of obnoxious behavior.
Oy vey, that's shitty you had to deal with that. You have my sympathy.
  #111  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:56 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,962
I know there's a joke along the lines of:

"I'm 6' 4!"".

"What? You're 5' 6" at most!"

"That's not where the 10" are!"
  #112  
Old 07-30-2019, 06:07 PM
thorny locust is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 984
begbert2:

The first one wasn't out of line -- there was no cheating/dishonesty involved. Amicable breakup of a fairly early-stage relationship; these things happen.

The second found me resistant enough to his particular tactics that the damage done was mostly at annoyance level -- though there sure was a lot of annoyance involved. Years later I started to see articles about red flags and verbal abuse and so on, and realized the escape I'd had.
  #113  
Old 07-30-2019, 06:36 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
I know there's a joke along the lines of:

"I'm 6' 4!"".

"What? You're 5' 6" at most!"

"That's not where the 10" are!"
The female equivalent from a Taiwan celebrity know for her figure:

"How much do you weigh?"

"106 lbs."

Moves her hands along her body. "100 lbs", then stops under her boobs..."6 lbs!"
  #114  
Old 07-30-2019, 06:45 PM
DinoR is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Anecdote: About 90 minutes in to our first date, I had to assure my now-wife that the size of my penis was not proportional to my rather extraordinary height.
Worth reiterating the point that physical preferences aren't quite as simplistic as taller/bigger equals better.

I had a friend for a number of years that was very open about her sexuality. She was tiny ...literally about 5' and 95 pounds soaking wet. She had enough experience to know that no long term relationship was going to work with a man with a large penis. More vigorous sex was uncomfortable to painful for her otherwise. She didn't want it to hurt or have to be careful and in control all the time. Can't say I blame her.

Bluntly asking cock size was her way of playing with guys that hit on her before the rejection. They invariably went big. The confused look on their face when that got them shot down was priceless.
  #115  
Old 07-30-2019, 07:33 PM
Spiderman's Avatar
Spiderman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: somewhere East of there
Posts: 10,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Kobal2, you've got the most adorable dik-dik there that I've ever seen. I don't care a hoot what size it is.
Pssst. Now's where you should send Kobal2 pictures of your hooters.
  #116  
Old 07-30-2019, 08:10 PM
markn+ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: unknown; Speed: exactly 0
Posts: 2,500
FWIW, this study of 60,000 people showed that very short men have a slightly lower number of sexual partners than taller men, but short, average height and tall men have nearly the same number (the two numbers are the mean and median number of partners):
Quote:
very short (9.4; 5), short (11.0; 7), average (11.7; 7), tall (12.0; 7), very tall (12.1; 7), and extremely tall (12.3; 7)
Surprisingly, overweight men had more sexual partners than underweight or average weight men, but the weight categories are based on Body Mass Index which can classify people as overweight although a casual observers might not classify them as such.
Quote:
underweight (8.2; 4), normal weight (10.9, 6); overweight (12.8; 8), obese (11.7; 7), obese III (9.3; 5)

Last edited by markn+; 07-30-2019 at 08:10 PM.
  #117  
Old 07-30-2019, 08:37 PM
Pantastic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,119
I've never really understood the huge obsession some guys have with the idea that cock size is super important to women and their cock is too small. In all of my talks with women and genderqueer people with vaginas, penis size is rarely significant, and if it is 'too large to be comfortable' comes up way more than 'too small'. There are a small number of 'size queens' out there, but it's a small percentage with a specific fetish like the guys who have a fetish for really enormous (K+ cup) breasts, not a general trend. The vast majority of women won't see a man's erect penis until she's already decided whether or not she wants to have sex with him, and will consider him showing it before that a deal breaker (no, dick pics are not a good idea). Also if someone does want a large cock, she can get silicone ones in larger sizes, more varied shapes, and more features (like vibration or inflation) than any flesh version can hope to match - that also never have trouble being ready or lasting as long as she wants.

My advice: stop hanging out in reddit forums with dudes who obsess over their cocks being small, it's not an environment for getting a realistic or healthy perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Surprisingly, overweight men had more sexual partners than underweight or average weight men, but the weight categories are based on Body Mass Index which can classify people as overweight although a casual observers might not classify them as such.
Why is that surprising? People in general tend to put on weight as they get older, so the 'overweight' category is likely to skew towards older men, who've had time to have more sex partners. Also it's possible for a person to have a lot of sex partners in their 20s, then later settle down and put on weight, so most of the 'number of sex partners' wouldn't be happening during the 'is overweight' phase. Also the 'traditional wisdom' is that women go for richer guys, and men that are older and heavier typically have more money overall. Even if there was a strong selection against overweight men, there are a lot of factors that would tend to skew the data in the observed direction.
  #118  
Old 07-30-2019, 08:46 PM
MichaelEmouse's Avatar
MichaelEmouse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
FWIW, this study of 60,000 people showed that very short men have a slightly lower number of sexual partners than taller men, but short, average height and tall men have nearly the same number (the two numbers are the mean and median number of partners):
Thanks for the data.

It seems that only being very short poses a problem and not a major one. It's interesting that as height increases, the difference between the mean and the median goes up. The taller the men, the more outliers have an impact. I wonder how much of that is driven by highly sought-after gay men who rack up 3 figures within their own subculture.


Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post

Surprisingly, overweight men had more sexual partners than underweight or average weight men, but the weight categories are based on Body Mass Index which can classify people as overweight although a casual observers might not classify them as such.
I wonder if they controlled for age. Older men tend to have more fat and being older would simply have given them more time to accumulate more sexual partners.
  #119  
Old 07-30-2019, 08:48 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Wait -

Is this forum
not the kind of place where one
can detect that
everyone there thinks women
like men based only on superficial qualities
?
It’s not quite a limerick and it’s not quite a haiku..
  #120  
Old 07-30-2019, 09:07 PM
markn+ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: unknown; Speed: exactly 0
Posts: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
It's interesting that as height increases, the difference between the mean and the median goes up. The taller the men, the more outliers have an impact. I wonder how much of that is driven by highly sought-after gay men who rack up 3 figures within their own subculture.
The study claims that the participants are all (self-reportedly) heterosexual.
  #121  
Old 07-30-2019, 10:43 PM
Corry El is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Corry El:Corry El:
Quote:
there's a huge advantage in pick up/hook up situations in being 6-4 over 5-7
Cite please?

Even if true on average (and I really would like to see some cites before granting that -- cites of actual success, not of people looking at pictures and given two pieces of information), it certainly isn't true for anywhere near all women.
It's too obviously true on average to need a cite IMO, in the context stated. Do we need a cite to tell us women thought of as very beautiful by conventional standards in a given society* get more attention from men in pick up/hook up situations? Do we need one to say women over a certain age get less such attention in such situations?

Of course it's not true of 'anywhere near everyone' in absolute numbers, obviously valid generalization about people seldom are. I think it could be debated whether it's 'anywhere near' all in %, depending on definition of 'anywhere near'. But IMHO the idea it would be challenged as a general idea shows some desire to see things other than as they are, or else to read into this obvious observation some pejorative inference, such as that women (in case of preferring tall or at least not short men), or men (in case of preferring very pretty women) are being 'superficial'. But pick up/hook up situations are superficial by definition.

*and that we can fairly easily defined for the most part, say 80% of males agreeing who is a very attractive women even if 20% disagree, again in a given society (or perhaps subculture) and time.
  #122  
Old 07-30-2019, 10:56 PM
Dag Otto is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 5,439
I've learned two things today.

1. A clever librarian joke from kayaker.

2. Based on his Dik-dik pic, Kobal2 is at least twelve feet tall.
  #123  
Old 07-30-2019, 11:02 PM
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 15,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

I stopped at our local library the other day and asked if they had the new book about living with a smaller than average penis. She told me it wasn't in yet. I left in tears.
And the veal was lovely as well!
  #124  
Old 07-30-2019, 11:02 PM
Corry El is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
FWIW, this study of 60,000 people showed that very short men have a slightly lower number of sexual partners than taller men, but short, average height and tall men have nearly the same number (the two numbers are the mean and median number of partners):
I understand your FWIW disclaimer, but I think it may be an example why not to look for social 'science' studies to confirm whether patently obvious patterns of human behavior are 'really true'.

Huge advantage for 6-4 over 5-7 in casual pick up/hook up, entirely obviously IMO, is as much a function of the (generally shared) perception of (superficial, if you like) attractiveness of the female partners as number.

In general people tend to pair up sexually. It's kind of like saying, truthfully, that sellers don't actually outnumber buyer when market prices decline, sellers and buyers (or units bought/sold) have to be equal. Still, prices move. Sex isn't quite the same since not everyone finds (non commercial) sexual partners. But in general people pair up. However to extrapolate from that that perceived success in finding sexual partners has no pattern including physical characteristics, is still ridiculous.

More attractive people tend to end up with more attractive people, less attractive with less attractive. And in casual 'fast' situations 'attractive' tends to mean physically, and short tends to be less physically attractive to women on average, not all, but it's pretty obvious that's so generally. Whereas back to OP, penis size, however important it might or might not be if it was itself apparent on meeting a man, generally is not directly apparent, unlike height.

Last edited by Corry El; 07-30-2019 at 11:07 PM.
  #125  
Old 07-30-2019, 11:14 PM
pool is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,468
I had a friend in high school/college who was 6'10", last I heard he committed suicide after his girlfriend broke up with him so there's a data point of uh um something.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
  #126  
Old 07-30-2019, 11:55 PM
skyr is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 75
I am a Millenial woman. I truly do not want a big dick or a particularly tall guy. Personally, I consider an average height guy with an average sized penis to be ideal.

With the choice presented here,I would probably lean towards the 5'7" guy - but not because I want a huge penis. Instead, it's because I would rather have a 5'7" guy over an especially tall guy. I grew up in a family where all the guys were over six feet, and I don't really see what the big deal is about being tall. Yes, being tall can be helpful in some situations, but it can also create problems that shorter people don't have (finding clothes that fit, feeling cramped in small cars or airplanes, etc.). I am 5'6" myself and a guy who is around my height is ideal, because then it's easy to kiss, and there is no major disparity to deal with during sex.
Sure, there are individuals who prefer a tall guy or a big dick for their own reasons, but plenty of us really don't care.
  #127  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:09 AM
thorny locust is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corry El View Post
It's too obviously true on average to need a cite IMO, in the context stated.
There are lots of things that many people think are "obviously true" that aren't true.

Is there some slight advantage to tall men in casual pickup situations? Probably. Is there a "huge" advantage? I doubt it. And the one actual study we've seen cited so far appears to agree with that -- a slight difference only.
  #128  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:29 AM
shocky2002 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyr View Post
I am a Millenial woman. I truly do not want a big dick or a particularly tall guy. Personally, I consider an average height guy with an average sized penis to be ideal.

With the choice presented here,I would probably lean towards the 5'7" guy - but not because I want a huge penis. Instead, it's because I would rather have a 5'7" guy over an especially tall guy. I grew up in a family where all the guys were over six feet, and I don't really see what the big deal is about being tall. Yes, being tall can be helpful in some situations, but it can also create problems that shorter people don't have (finding clothes that fit, feeling cramped in small cars or airplanes, etc.). I am 5'6" myself and a guy who is around my height is ideal, because then it's easy to kiss, and there is no major disparity to deal with during sex.
Sure, there are individuals who prefer a tall guy or a big dick for their own reasons, but plenty of us really don't care.
This the second time in this thread a woman preferred the 5’7 guy but not because of his larger penis size. Could you really say that 8 inches > 4 inches wasn’t the main reason why you went with the short dude?
  #129  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:43 AM
panache45's Avatar
panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 45,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I had a friend in high school/college who was 6'10", last I heard he committed suicide after his girlfriend broke up with him so there's a data point of uh um something.
Here's another data point: My husband is 6'10", and his cock is more than proportional. He - and it - started to grow when he was only 9, and he was raped by a group of older kids after school. This was the beginning of years of sexual abuse ("Hey, let's get that kid with the really big dick.") which led to bullying, promiscuity, forced drug abuse, addiction and suicide attempts. Fortunately his parents got him into really great therapy, and he eventually got all straightened out. But it was really bad during his teens.

He was 22 when we met 32 years ago, and he's been happily monogamous and drug-free ever since.
  #130  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:58 AM
Helena330's Avatar
Helena330 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Near Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 3,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocky2002 View Post
This the second time in this thread a woman preferred the 5’7 guy but not because of his larger penis size. Could you really say that 8 inches > 4 inches wasn’t the main reason why you went with the short dude?
Will you stop with this BS?? Aren't you reading your own thread?
  #131  
Old 07-31-2019, 02:59 AM
epbrown01 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
Will you stop with this BS?? Aren't you reading your own thread?
It's pretty clear that if just one woman agrees with his premise, he'll go "A-Ha!!!" and return to Reddit with "proof" he was right. Until then...
__________________
"Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers
  #132  
Old 07-31-2019, 03:45 AM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 28,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocky2002 View Post
This the second time in this thread a woman preferred the 5’7 guy but not because of his larger penis size. Could you really say that 8 inches > 4 inches wasn’t the main reason why you went with the short dude?
Why are you doubting what actual real women are telling you?

Again, any penis characteristic you care to name matters much much more to you than it does to almost any woman you'd meet in a lifetime. If there's any physical dimension women have a preference for in regard to a penis it's girth, not length. More than one woman here has spoken about a penis that is too large can be physically painful and I'll point out that here eight inches is getting into that range. Do you honestly think women seek out painful sexual intercourse?

If you're a short guy hung like a horse enjoy your penis but don't think it's why women are interested in you or is a selling point in a relationship.

Men comparing penis size is men competing with each other. It's like male sheep or goats ramming each other's heads - rams ram other males, they don't butt heads with the female of the species. Waving a giant penis around is a male display ritual, it's not how you attract females of your species. Waving a penis of any size around in front of women in hopes of attracting them doesn't make you look manly, it makes you look like a dick.
  #133  
Old 07-31-2019, 05:56 AM
you with the face is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 12,436
The OP’s comparison is flawed for height because 6’4 is much farther from the average height for U.S men (5’9) than 5’7 is. So it shouldn’t be surprising that many women wouldn’t swoon over a 6’4 guy, even if penis size was the same. Such a guy would be distractingly tall relative to your average woman.

I’m a tall woman (5’9) and it would be jarring even for me.
  #134  
Old 07-31-2019, 06:13 AM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 35,949
Wait. 5’7” is considered short?
__________________
*I'm experimenting with E, em, and es and emself as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender.
  #135  
Old 07-31-2019, 06:33 AM
Tamerlane is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 13,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Wait. 5’7” is considered short?
Average male height in the US is supposedly 5'9". So 5'7" is a little bit shorter than average in this country, but not particularly extreme. It's well above the average height of men in some other countries.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 07-31-2019 at 06:34 AM.
  #136  
Old 07-31-2019, 08:10 AM
MichaelEmouse's Avatar
MichaelEmouse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Wait. 5’7” is considered short?
Yeah, I thought that too. The category "short" should encompass people who are at least one standard deviation from the average/median. If being 1-2'' shorter than average is short, then being 1-2'' taller than average is tall and I'm not sure I'd consider a man who is 5'10-11'' to be tall.


OP, will you believe what the women in this thread are telling you or do you just want to confirm whatever anxieties you may have? Obsessing over numerical comparisons is something the men in those forums do much more than the average woman.
  #137  
Old 07-31-2019, 08:17 AM
bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I wonder if they controlled for age. Older men tend to have more fat and being older would simply have given them more time to accumulate more sexual partners.
My guess, at risk of triggering the incels, is that "overweight" in the context of this study probably means someone who actually works out and is athletic, and has a substantial amount of muscle.

For example, for a 5'9" man, the "normal" BMI weight ranges are from 128 lbs through 162 lbs. Go google " 5'9" 162 lbs " for an idea of how unrealistic that is.

Or for a better illustration, NBA player James Harden, hardly someone anyone would call super-muscled up or overweight is technically overweight by the BMI standards, at 6'5" and 220 lbs (BMI of 26.09). Same thing for Tom Brady - 6'4" and 225 lbs- even more "overweight".

I suspect that most men who work out and are fit are probably "overweight" by BMI standards, and that's what's skewing the numbers that way. I sort of doubt it's flabby guys getting laid a lot.
  #138  
Old 07-31-2019, 08:46 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Waving a giant penis around is a male display ritual
Oh c'mon. We also do it for fun.
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
  #139  
Old 07-31-2019, 09:09 AM
simster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
What elements have lead you to that conclusion? People talking about it online when you specifically sought out people emphasizing them?
Well, this is a historical fact -
  #140  
Old 07-31-2019, 09:35 AM
Pantastic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I suspect that most men who work out and are fit are probably "overweight" by BMI standards, and that's what's skewing the numbers that way. I sort of doubt it's flabby guys getting laid a lot.
I disagree. Real people who are overweight successfully hook up all the time, regardless of what forums full of guys who don't get laid tell each other. Lots of women are perfectly happy to be with a guy who has a 'dad bod', and society is not nearly as harsh about weight on guys as it is about weight on women. They're likely not all hooking up with thin 21-year-old girls, but those women in the 'overweight' category also exist.

Also, the cited study is of people's lifetime number of sexual partners, and really isn't relevant to the idea of 'who's more attractive' or 'who's hooking up better'. Lifetime sexual partners has a lot more to do with things like how your relationships work than how good you are at attracting new partners. Someone who only finds one partner a year but has relationships that last only a year will have had 11 parters at age 40, while someone who can find a partner a night but tends to stay in relationships for five years will have 4-5 by the same age even though they can easily hook up if they want to. Theoretically, if someone is monogamous and has perfect attractiveness so that they get their exact pick of partner whenever they seek one, their answer in that study would be '1' as their amazing attractiveness got them the perfect partner early on, even though they could push the number as high as they wanted to.
  #141  
Old 07-31-2019, 10:20 AM
engineer_comp_geek's Avatar
engineer_comp_geek is offline
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,509
Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
No, all the kudos are to YOU, my beloved, cherished and completely new friend, shocky2002.

You see, it isn't every day someone can just show up here among the Smartest and the Hippest and immediately have the intellectual luminaries who frequent these (virtual) Hallowed Halls of Knowledge all a-twitter with their provocative hypotheticals.

No indeed, that is quite an impressive Stunt. Man, you ought to be proud, it's like walking into a star-studded Hollywood celebrity roast, grabbing the Mike, and bringing the house down with your opening zinger!!!
Do not make accusations of socking/trolling outside of the Pit.
  #142  
Old 07-31-2019, 10:41 AM
salinqmind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Liverpool NY USA
Posts: 10,070
1) . I am 5' 2" and am FINE with 'short' men. As long as they are a bit taller than I am - 5' 6" is perfect. I was once asked to dance and I stood up and I looked DOWN into a wee munchkin's eyes. Not to be 'heightist' or anything, but .... I am totally unimpressed, and in fact a bit turned off, by tall men. My father and brother were very tall and I had sad history with both. Both were freakish and jerks.

2) . The size of the unit is irrelevant. It matters only to men. They are obsessed by it. Being rammed with a telephone pole is not fun no matter what porn movies show. If a man has a massive member, he is better off going to a gay bar and flopping it out of his pants to get some real admiration for it.

Last edited by salinqmind; 07-31-2019 at 10:42 AM.
  #143  
Old 07-31-2019, 11:48 AM
Ashtura is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,264
I'm going to say height is a greater initial filter than penis size. Once you get to the sex phase the penis size might filter you out, but you'll be getting less dates in the first place if you're short.
  #144  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:03 PM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,485
Obviously, height matters more in the dating game, because you actually know how tall someone is when you are considering going on a date with them. Different women have different height preferences, and weigh it differently, but height actually does have a non-zero effect on whether a woman will look at you at the bar, or say "yes" to a proposed date, or ...

Whereas 99 times out of 100, the woman knows nothing at all about the guy's penis. (Rarely someone is interested in a guy her friend has dated, and I suppose there must be cases where they gossip about his dick. It's never happened to me, and I can't recall hearing anyone talk about that happening to her, but it must happen sometime.)

The actual question in the OP doesn't have as obvious an answer, because of the different preferences around height, and because 8" is long enough that it might actually be painful. (and the OP asked which you would prefer, not which you would agree to date.) But most of these appearance things are mostly important in the initial "screening", "would I date accept a date with this person?". They are almost always less important than substantive factors (do you enjoy hanging out with this person, do you have compatible goals, morals, habits, etc.) once you get past that initial yes/no.
  #145  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:09 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocky2002 View Post
This the second time in this thread a woman preferred the 5’7 guy but not because of his larger penis size. Could you really say that 8 inches > 4 inches wasn’t the main reason why you went with the short dude?
First I gotta say that your refusal to accept the answer you asked for is pretty unimpressive.

"Is anybody here impressed with my dick?"
"No."
"Seriously, is anybody here impressed with my dick?"
"Still no."
"Aw, come on, somebody here has to be impressed with my dick!"
"No!"


And also, come on man, think a little. Outside of men's locker rooms and Incel forums, men keep their penises contained in this thing called 'pants'. Pants are often opaque, and (unless you're David Bowie) often do a pretty good job of concealing the penis from the view of passing women and police. Given that fact, how can you expect the average woman to make her relationship choices based on something she can't even see during the 'choosing' phase?
  #146  
Old 07-31-2019, 01:17 PM
Dag Otto is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 5,439
'Concealed Penis' is an excellent band name.
  #147  
Old 07-31-2019, 02:04 PM
llcoolbj77 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 3 East Market Street
Posts: 962
Traditionally, I am attracted to tall lanky men. Think Alex Skarsgard.

So all things being equal (equally funny, compatible, good lovers, considerate to others, etc...) I'd prefer the taller of the two, as I'd be more likely to be physically attracted to him.

Good lovers come in all shapes and sized (penis shapes and sizes as well). I dated a man with an average sized penis that seemed to always hit my cervix (painful) due to his preferred positioning. And I dated a man generously endowed and had no similar issue. Good sex comes with compatibility and communication. Big doesn't always equal good or satisfying.

Is this like the fourth or fifth "incel-ish" post we've had in the last couple of days? Is it incel week?
  #148  
Old 07-31-2019, 02:07 PM
Ulfreida is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pangolandia
Posts: 3,528
The only group of people who really care about penis size is men. Straight men, gay men. MEN care. Women don't as a rule care. Male sexuality is fetishistic and women's isn't. By and large.

I'd say the majority of women are going to prefer a guy who is a little taller than they are. A LITTLE taller. But not a great disparity. Almost any guy who is above 5'4" has a sizeable dating pool.

Not that the above info will matter or even perhaps register with the OP.
  #149  
Old 07-31-2019, 02:14 PM
ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness's Avatar
ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hollywood Riveria, CA
Posts: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
5'4" woman with double D's or 5'10" woman with double A's?
Definitely the double A's. We are talking about report cards, right?
  #150  
Old 07-31-2019, 02:48 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
The only group of people who really care about penis size is men. Straight men, gay men. MEN care. Women don't as a rule care. Male sexuality is fetishistic and women's isn't. By and large.

I think it has less to do with fetishism and more about our sex's insecurities. Many of us stay up at night worrying we're not good enough for the people we have a crush on, and thus will lose them soon as a better guy comes along. And since after 4,000 years we still haven't figured out the first clue about how you womyn work and what y'alls want ; we don't know what "better" really is or could be. So it's putatively any and everything - but "not being satisfying enough in bed" is of course fear number A.1.alpha.



'sides, women sexuality is plenty fetishistic - it's just not the same fetishes .
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017