Old 07-30-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Now That We're Allowed To Talk About Cannabis Use, Let's Talk About Cannabis Use

In an ATMB thread that is no longer on the front page, a moderator said that the team has decided to loosen up on the rules about talking about ganja, thanks in no small part to the fact that it's about to be legal in Chicago. So...

I grew up in the Just Say No era, and my mother (who raised me) believed strongly in Reefer Madness hysteria. So for those two reasons, I always eschewed cannabis (I was 12 years old the first time my dad offered me a toke off of his J, I turned him down). Then I got religion, so I had another reason to eschew it.

On night in 2004, when I was 34, I was at the home of my aunt and uncle - longtime users - and my uncle passed me his J. I figured, what the hell. After coughing and hacking and almost puking, I felt as if I could feel little pinpricks (in a good way) trickling down my back. Then my vision doubled, then the music that was on in the background seemed intensely profound. Long story short: I realized I was onto something good.

I've been a pretty regular user for about a decade now. I prefer edibles, but for now they're hard for me to come by. My second choice is vape pens, smoking flowers would be my third choice. Always from a bong, except on rare occasions when I use a pipe. Never a J; I'm the only user in my house and it doesn't make economical sense to roll Js and have them keep burning my good bud when I'm not actively inhaling it.

In my state, Missouri, the process of getting a medical program up and running is ongoing. I'm not going to bother with getting a card: too expensive, would have to drive 250 miles to Kansas City. I'll just keep buying vape pens from my dealer until January 2020, when I can just drive across the river into Illinois and buy all I want legally.

I'm a Sativa guy.

Not for nothing, I've been chasing that first high from my aunt & uncle's house for over a decade. Never have been able to recreate that feeling of trickles down my back. I've also had a couple of highs where I felt like there was a warm spot about the size of a half-dollar moving randomly across my body. Wish I knew how to guarantee that result, that shit is awesome.

So what about you?

Last edited by HeyHomie; 07-30-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
I've been a pretty regular user for about a decade now. I prefer edibles, but for now they're hard for me to come by. My second choice is vape pens, smoking flowers would be my third choice. Always from a bong, except on rare occasions when I use a pipe. Never a J; I'm the only user in my house and it doesn't make economical sense to roll Js and have them keep burning my good bud when I'm not actively inhaling it.

[...]
I'm a Sativa guy.
[...]
So what about you?
I prefer to take Blue Dream and Delahaze sativa strains and turn them into edible form by cooking the ground buds then mixing them with peanut butter for absorption. I find it a great enhancement for running, resistance training and meditation. I took some when I was a teenager but never much, if only because of the harshness of the smoke. Vaporizers and edible cooking solved that problem so I've been taking it regularly for about a year now and it's great.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I prefer to take Blue Dream and Delahaze sativa strains and turn them into edible form by cooking the ground buds then mixing them with peanut butter for absorption. I find it a great enhancement for running, resistance training and meditation. I took some when I was a teenager but never much, if only because of the harshness of the smoke. Vaporizers and edible cooking solved that problem so I've been taking it regularly for about a year now and it's great.
I've been grinding buds and combining them with peanut butter and graham crackers, too! I call them "firecrackers." I pour Nutella over them, too. Still tastes like shit, but tastes less shitty than without it.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

I grew up in a time and place where marijuana was totally illegal and yet the laws against it nearly totally unenforced and flouted openly.

It wasn't quite where you could call the police and report that some thief had stolen your weed and expect the police to return it to you if they caught the perp. In fact the police would confiscate your inflammables and the paraphernalia you used to partake of them, if you gave them sufficient provocation.

But coming to the door (*knock knock*) and opening it to exhale a lungful of pot smoke into a police officer's face wasn't always sufficient provocation. ("We're looking for Jason Jones... not here? Could you inform him that he has an unpaid ticket that's going to result in a bench warrant if he doesn't attend to it? Have him call me...")

The movie theatre's evening showing of Pink Floyd at Pompeii resulted in a lit joint in at least every third person's hand and the management didn't complain.

Junior high and high school aged schoolchildren would get into the bus in the mornings smelling of pot smoke.

That at least 35% (might have been double that) of the town's juvenile population smoked pot was a poorly kept secret. I guess those who didn't want to know didn't know.

If I'm going to get high, my preference is for a vaping machine. Back in the day, I was a small-bowl pipe smoker. I don't like the waste of seeing lots of good smoke going straight up in the air, uninhaled. (And I'm an extreme lightweight, it doesn't take me much).
Old 07-30-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I've been grinding buds and combining them with peanut butter and graham crackers, too! I call them "firecrackers." I pour Nutella over them, too. Still tastes like shit, but tastes less shitty than without it.
Do you cook the buds or are they pre-cooked? You need some heat to transform the THCA into THC. Grinding, cooking at 105Celcius for 2 1/2 to 3 hours then mixing with something fatty seems optimal.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
If I'm going to get high, my preference is for a vaping machine. Back in the day, I was a small-bowl pipe smoker. I don't like the waste of seeing lots of good smoke going straight up in the air, uninhaled. (And I'm an extreme lightweight, it doesn't take me much).
I've been using a pipe (Monkey Pipe/Fisherman's Friend) but it makes me cough badly. Bong does the same.

How do you vape herb? Is that easier on the throat?
Old 07-30-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering View Post
I've been using a pipe (Monkey Pipe/Fisherman's Friend) but it makes me cough badly. Bong does the same.

Volcano or one of its competitors.

Smoother than a bong, even a bong with cooled white wine
Old 07-30-2019, 03:34 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Buy a vape pen. A very good friend of mine likes the disposable type. There are dozens of companies that make them.

Very smooth, I've heard.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you cook the buds or are they pre-cooked? You need some heat to transform the THCA into THC. Grinding, cooking at 105Celcius for 2 1/2 to 3 hours then mixing with something fatty seems optimal.
I cook them. Guess I should have mentioned that.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Buy a vape pen. A very good friend of mine likes the disposable type. There are dozens of companies that make them.

Very smooth, I've heard.
Vape pen? Disposable? I already have one of these.

Is that what you're talking about? If not, what?
Old 07-30-2019, 05:23 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Not that, although they do make all sorts of cartridges for those. It won't hotlink, but go here and pick "Vape" from the first filter menu. The ones that have been recommended to me are the ones by VVG called Vegas Stick. They're the size of a 100mm cigarette and totally disposable. Not even a button to push, just inhale.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

When I saw this anti-marijuana 'educational' film starring Sonny Bono in 1968, I just knew I had to get high.

I wondered for years whether Sonny had been coerced into making it under threat of prosecution for some drug offense.

Last edited by KarlGauss; 07-30-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

If you prefer edibles, canibis milk is super easy to make and will melt you to your couch for a good four hours with the proper dosage.

YouTube has the videos of how to make it.

I make mine way stronger than what you see on the videos though.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
If you prefer edibles, canibis milk is super easy to make and will melt you to your couch for a good four hours with the proper dosage.

Thanks for that. I'll try with cream.

If it's been decarb, do you need to warm the milk/cream when the pot is in it or will it mix even with cold/lukewarm milk?

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 07-30-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

If it's been decarb, do you need to warm the milk/cream when the pot is in it or will it mix even with cold/lukewarm milk?

No, you'll need to simmer it in the milk for at least 35 minutes. Then strain it through a cheesecloth.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Not that, although they do make all sorts of cartridges for those. It won't hotlink, but go here and pick "Vape" from the first filter menu. The ones that have been recommended to me are the ones by VVG called Vegas Stick. They're the size of a 100mm cigarette and totally disposable. Not even a button to push, just inhale.
Wait. Those are already loaded with pot oil? With real THC? I don't think that'll work for me here in Georgia.

Or am I missing something?
Old 07-30-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Volcano or one of its competitors.

Smoother than a bong, even a bong with cooled white wine
In your experience does the Volcano not only make things smoother but is it doubly worth it because you get more out of your flowers and thus saves money? Or is this just wishful thinking on the part of everyone I've ever known who told me about their Volcano?
Old 07-30-2019, 08:34 PM

Do you try to drive or go to work when high?
Old 07-30-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Well, reporting back: Thank you Grrr! That recipe should be called the "milk of human kindness".
Old 07-30-2019, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkHardly View Post
In your experience does the Volcano not only make things smoother but is it doubly worth it because you get more out of your flowers and thus saves money? Or is this just wishful thinking on the part of everyone I've ever known who told me about their Volcano?
Oh yeah, it's definitely pretty close to maximum use of your resources. You might do a tad better with hashish-making equipment or something but then you're talking more intensive labor.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:39 PM

When I first wanted to try vaping many years ago, I bought a cheapo $100 flower vaporizer that looked home-made. It hardly worked at all, and then melted itself when I failed to unplug it once (yes, there was no power switch, you had to unplug it to turn it off). I decided to upgrade to a nice-looking commercial model for about $250. It also hardly worked. I decided at that point to forget cost and get the best, which is obviously the Volcano. I've used the Volcano for many years and it is totally awesome. It's easy to use and produces very potent vapor. Of course it costs about $600 but I learned you get what you pay for. However recently I've started using vape pens and I think I may be retiring the Volcano, because vape pens are even easier to use and are portable, unlike the Volcano.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

My girlfriend from the Bronx used to tote around a mini-vape that runs on an AA battery.

Let's see... yeah, here it is! Nowhere near the quality of the Volcano but you can't take a volcano with you in your purse, either.

ETA: ok, two rechargeable batteries, not an AA

Last edited by AHunter3; 07-30-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been using a pipe (Monkey Pipe/Fisherman's Friend) but it makes me cough badly.
Oh! Well, for that just take a Fisherman's Friend!
Old 07-31-2019, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Cannabutter is good, too. The point is to cook up some bud to infuse some sort of oil with THC (i.e. butter) and then throw out the yucky vegetable matter that's left over.

From that you can make all kinds of yummy treats and they won't taste like you're eating a bush (you know what I mean ).

ETA: HahahHAhHAHAhha!!! West Coast is the Best Coast!!!! I gotz the Board to myselves!!!!

hand me that bong, Cali!

Last edited by I Love Me, Vol. I; 07-31-2019 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Because, really... why WOULDN'T you edit?
Old 07-31-2019, 01:48 AM
born to be shunned

I may be the exception here but it just isn't/wasn't my thing. Unlike Clinton I did try some in college and did indeed inhale; many times. And the guys in my carpool were seriously into the stuff so I am sure I got some secondary effects now and then but ----- just not something I plan to spend money on unless it does become a medical necessity for me. I'm old, old-fashioned, and enjoy rye too much to switch vices now.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Only if I have a few stiff tequilla sunsets and a very small snort of quality Czech angel dust before getting behind the wheel to help steady out the marijuana-induced blurred vision and auditory hallucinations.

Safety First!!!

Last edited by Royal Nonesutch; 07-31-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
Cannabutter is good, too. The point is to cook up some bud to infuse some sort of oil with THC (i.e. butter) and then throw out the yucky vegetable matter that's left over.

From that you can make all kinds of yummy treats and they won't taste like you're eating a bush (you know what I mean ).

ETA: HahahHAhHAHAhha!!! West Coast is the Best Coast!!!! I gotz the Board to myselves!!!!

hand me that bong, Cali!
The reason I like cana-milk, is because I can measure the exact dosage I want. That was a plus for me.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:43 AM

I first tried smoking the devil's weed when I was 15, and knew right away that it was for me. The sweet spot for me was a six year period when I owned a home that was meant for growing. A concealed room was converted to a grow room with two 600 watt HPS lights and a big Dayton blower forcing exhaust through a charcoal filter. I grew way more than I could consume, so I constantly looked for ways I could gift ounces to friends without anyone knowing I was growing (more difficult than you'd think). My kids could spend the weekend without any hint what was going on.

When Tom Wolf ran for governor and vowed he'd support Medicinal Marijuana, I went all in on his campaign. Now I have a medical card and can buy whatever I desire. My current stash includes; a cartridge of 707 Headband in a vape pen, a cartridge of Super Silver Haze, some Katsu Bubba Kush flower, and some Hash Haze flower.

Along with vape pens for oil, I have a decent collection of glass pipes, some old wooden pipes, pipes made from rocks, a metal pipe (proto-pipe) and my latest silicone pipe with a glass insert bowl.

I'm like a kid in a candy store when I visit the dispensary. Life is good.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Never, officer. I'd never, ever shoot that shit. Not even once. Don't want my mama IDing my remains at the morgue.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:09 PM

I have found that I can still beat most dispensary pricing !! ...and the volume i do, my shake allows me to make that Kindest Butter ever.

Started at 18 as a freshman in college ...I have been in love since.

My 82 year old Mom and (sadly) republican, supports full legalization. She does not imbibe but uses CBD occasionally and couldn't care less if we partake at family events.

ymmv
Old 07-31-2019, 06:13 PM

forgot to add...

I like flower the best! I typically use a straight clear glass chillum, easy to keep clean and portable.

I also like a good joint, blunts suck for flavor.

Willin'
Old 07-31-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
...just not something I plan to spend money on unless it does become a medical necessity for me. I'm old, old-fashioned, and enjoy rye too much to switch vices now.
Well, you do have to keep an eye on the carbs, too.

mmm
Old 08-01-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Well, you do have to keep an eye on the carbs, too.

mmm
Wait, what? Why do you have to keep an eye on the air vent in a pipe?!
Old 08-01-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

I think he meant "carbs" as in the calorie making kind.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
...I'm old, old-fashioned, and enjoy rye too much to switch vices now.
Quote:
Well, you do have to keep an eye on the carbs, too...
Quote:
Quote:
I think he meant "carbs" as in the calorie making kind.
In case we're still unclear, I meant the carbs in rye.

(as in rye bread).

mmm
Old 08-01-2019, 09:59 AM

I'm perfectly fine with the legalization of marijuana and consider it better for your overall health than alcohol. Personally, however, I don't like it. It's a mental and physical depressant. I don't like narcotics in general because of the way they make me feel.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
In case we're still unclear, I meant the carbs in rye.

(as in rye bread).

mmm
Just playing.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
If you aren't toasting the weed and then cooking the firecrackers you're doing it wrong. The heat converts the THCa into THC and then cooking it bonds it into the oil in the hazelnut spread.

Here's a good 2 minute guide to making firecrackers.

ETA: I see that MichaelEmouse already made my points; but the video I linked still rocks.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-01-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
If you aren't toasting the weed and then cooking the firecrackers you're doing it wrong. The heat converts the THCa into THC and then cooking it bonds it into the oil in the hazelnut spread.

Here's a good 2 minute guide to making firecrackers.

ETA: I see that MichaelEmouse already made my points; but the video I linked still rocks.
Yes, I do that, sorry I wasn't clear. And indeed, I learned how to make firecrackers from that video.*

*Abdullah was high AF when he made that video. Check out his eyes.

Last edited by HeyHomie; 08-01-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:53 AM

Oh yeah, he's totally high as fuck.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:05 PM

So, here in Denver we make cannabis available in all its forms (suppositories? Yep, that too). Flowers test at about 30% THC. Distillate cartridges (e.g. smoking via a vape pen) run about 75-90% THC. It also doesn't reek. So I'm a distillate user.

The only problem is that it kills my tolerance. Like others have said, I'll probably never be as stoned as I was in college when my teeth were numb and I could just "sense" why Phil Simms was better than Dan Marino while talking to my friend, the Giants fan.

Now, it's just a nice way to relax and unwind. In truth, I'd be better off if I could limit myself to once a week, but life demands more frequent joy than that.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Flowers test at about 30% THC.
That's impressive. 20-25% is about where it tops out here in Canada from what I've seen.

Distillates are quite nice. Small, discreet but potentially a lot of punch.

Quote:
The only problem is that it kills my tolerance. Like others have said, I'll probably never be as stoned as I was in college when my teeth were numb and I could just "sense" why Phil Simms was better than Dan Marino while talking to my friend, the Giants fan.
Edibles can't get you there? That potmilk Grrr mentioned is something. Otherwise, didn't Denver decriminalize magic mushrooms? If combining pot edibles with mushrooms doesn't work then, yeah, your tolerance might be too high.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 08-01-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
That's impressive. 20-25% is about where it tops out here in Canada from what I've seen.
You're probably right. 30% would be on the high end for flower potency.
Quote:
Edibles can't get you there? That potmilk Grrr mentioned is something. Otherwise, didn't Denver decriminalize magic mushrooms? If combining pot edibles with mushrooms doesn't work then, yeah, your tolerance might be too high.
I'm not a fan of edibles. I like the 'mental spark' of a Sativa; edibles are more of a body high.

There's no doubt that mushrooms would get me high. But while they are decriminalized, they are not openly for sale, and I'm not looking to grow my own.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, here in Denver we make cannabis available in all its forms (suppositories? Yep, that too).
Do they make your butthole feel extra good, or something?
Old 08-01-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Now, it's just a nice way to relax and unwind. In truth, I'd be better off if I could limit myself to once a week, but life demands more frequent joy than that.
I'm currently on Day 21 of a planned 35-day T-break. Before going off (which has sucked balls, let's not mince words) I was a nightly smoker. But I got to where I needed to smoke half a cartridge of my vape pen to get even a slight buzz (that's an exaggeration, but you get my point).

I'm hoping that when I start using again (15 August can't come soon enough), the magic will be back.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Do they make your butthole feel extra good, or something?
No, it's for when chemo makes anything swallowed come right back up.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I'm currently on Day 21 of a planned 35-day T-break.

I do an occasional 14 day tolerance break. You and your 35 days is just crazy talk!
Old 08-01-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, it's for when chemo makes anything swallowed come right back up.
Well shit, now I feel bad about making a glib joke.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I do an occasional 14 day tolerance break. You and your 35 days is just crazy talk!
A collective decision made by me and Mrs. Homie. We arbitrarily decided on 15 August because that's when school starts in our town (not that we have kids enrolled there or anything -- again, arbitrary). That means 35 days from when I put it down.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Well shit, now I feel bad about making a glib joke.
My apologies, didn't mean to make you feel bad. Hell, I'm totes healthy and have a med card!