Old 08-01-2019, 02:17 PM

I'm a bit of a weed luddite. I know the vaporizers and oils and wax and whatever are cool and they have their uses, but I just can't bring myself to buy any of that shit. Whenever I use a friends' high-tech weed stuff, I can't help feeling a little like a crackhead. I'm still perfectly good with bowls and jays. Weed-smoking isn't yet broken for me that I need to seek a solution.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Once it's legal federally and can be shipped through the mail, some enterprising businessman is going to come up with a weed subscription box. Every month on the 20th, you get a few flowers of this strain, a few flowers of that strain, some edibles, a pre-filled vape pen. Curated just for you!
Old 08-01-2019, 07:47 PM

I previously mentioned seeing marijuana suppositories. Thereís also ointments for pain which I havenít tried, but I gave a jar to my mom, who is dealing with cancer, and she swears by it. She told me that the pain in her arm went away as she rubbed the cream on her skin. I am perplexed how it could be so effective, but I take her at her word.

And in the world of delivery systems, I recently saw an inhaler for sale (like what an asthma user would use). Also, THC infused gum. I havenít tried either one.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:54 AM

When do the anti-emetic effects of pot peak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
I'm not a fan of edibles. I like the 'mental spark' of a Sativa; edibles are more of a body high.
This made me realize: Does anyone notice any significant differences in edibles according to type of strain? I'm guessing that commercially-available edibles use whatever happens to be the cheapest material around and that it will take some time before you see strain-specific high-quality edibles. Definitely worth it, though. That mental spark Moriarty mentions can be amplified into a bit of a blaze.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
This made me realize: Does anyone notice any significant differences in edibles according to type of strain? I'm guessing that commercially-available edibles use whatever happens to be the cheapest material around and that it will take some time before you see strain-specific high-quality edibles. Definitely worth it, though. That mental spark Moriarty mentions can be amplified into a bit of a blaze.
It's been several months since I've had professionally-made edibles in my possession, so my memory may be (heh) hazy. But I don't think the packaging mentioned being made with this strain or that strain.

And FWIW, when I bought edibles at a Denver dispensary, I asked the budtender which strains they were made with. She just shrugged and said, "Weed."
Old 08-03-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
It's been several months since I've had professionally-made edibles in my possession, so my memory may be (heh) hazy. But I don't think the packaging mentioned being made with this strain or that strain.

And FWIW, when I bought edibles at a Denver dispensary, I asked the budtender which strains they were made with. She just shrugged and said, "Weed."
Yeah, early age of the industry. When people figure out they can charge more for type/strain-specific edibles, we'll see them come out.

Quote:
It's been several months since I've had professionally-made edibles in my possession, so my memory may be (heh) hazy.
I'd like to congratulate every person posting in this thread on their commendable self-control in not deluging up with puns. Not that I mind that one.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:21 AM

It's a pain for me because the feds and the states aren't in agreement. Medical marijuana is now legal here in the Arkansas but my company still tests new hires as well as randomly selecting employees for testing each month. Someone who tests positive for THC will be denied employment even if they have a cannabis card (if they have a prescription we'll never find out if they have THC in the system because the MRO will send the results back to us as negative) and current employees will need to go to mandatory counseling with our Employee Assistance Plan and be subject to drug testing for a period of time. Because of the nature of our business all of our employees are classified as handling sensitive data so under state law we don't have to keep those on THC employed. Once the feds come around I think our company policy will change but until then this is where we are.

I dislike marijuana mainly because I just can't stand the way it smells. When I visited Seattle I kept running into people who smelled like ass at all times of the day. 7:30 in the morning. Seriously, who the hell is getting high at 7:30 in the morning in a public space? But to be fair I have the same problem with heavy tobacco users. I can walk through my office and know one of my coworkers recently went by because I can smell her.

But on the flip side I'm very happy pot is headed towards legalization. Having lived next to alcoholics and pot heads I'll pick the latter over the former. I've never had a pot head wake me up at 3:00 a.m. threatening to kill his wife like my alcoholic neighbor did. And I think arresting people for pot use has been a big waste of time, money, and has eroded our rights over the years. And, who knows? If I ever got sick enough I'd probably be willing to try marijuana in an edible form.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
Seriously, who the hell is getting high at 7:30 in the morning in a public space?
Someone who just finished their 11-7 shift at work.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Do they make your butthole feel extra good, or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
No, it's for when chemo makes anything swallowed come right back up.
Yeah, I was going to guess that's an actual medical preparation, for people with nausea. A lot of nausea drugs have a suppository option.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:

But on the flip side I'm very happy pot is headed towards legalization. Having lived next to alcoholics and pot heads I'll pick the latter over the former. I've never had a pot head wake me up at 3:00 a.m. threatening to kill his wife like my alcoholic neighbor did. And I think arresting people for pot use has been a big waste of time, money, and has eroded our rights over the years. And, who knows? If I ever got sick enough I'd probably be willing to try marijuana in an edible form.
That's the main non-self-interested reason I'm in favor of legalization. Within a decade, we're going to see a reduction in violent crime, especially among young men where it will have the most impact. Getting drunk will eventually be seen the same way that cigarette smoking is today and rightly so.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Someone who just finished their 11-7 shift at work.
Judging from the way they looked I'll hazard a guess they weren't working anywhere.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:

Valhalla gummies "Our gummies are strain specific using Blue Dream and Sour Diesel for Sativa, Cannatonic for CBD, and OG Kush or DMC for Indica. All products and extracts are lab tested to ensure consistency and proper dosing. We use organic, free-trade sugar and organic corn syrup in our gummies."
Old 08-04-2019, 02:56 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Seriously, who the hell is getting high at 7:30 in the morning in a public space? .
Well, perhaps someone who works third shift, so it is effectively their afternoon 'cocktail' hour. <shrug> Put in enough time working third shift over the years that the idea of dinner at 9 am and breakfast at 10 pm is no different than breakfast at 9 am and dinner at 10 pm. And yes, I did go out drinking after I got off work at 730 am, most people who hang with other third shift friends tend to be pretty much exclusively nocturnal.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:57 PM

Mike Tyson says he burns through $40,000 of weed at his ranch every month

I presume his method of consumption is to light huge bonfires of the stuff and inhale the fumes.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:09 PM

Want to see the extreme differences between sativa and indica strains? I currently have some Super Silver Haze (Standard Farms) that is sativa dominant. I cannot smoke it before bed or I'll be up for hours. I also have some katsu bubba kush (Cresco), an indica, that couch-locks me after two hits. Perfect bedtime weed.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
Mike Tyson says he burns through $40,000 of weed at his ranch every month

I presume his method of consumption is to light huge bonfires of the stuff and inhale the fumes.
I caught one of Ralphie May's standup gigs before he died, he said he smoked five and half ounces per week. He said that he had a glassblower make a special bong for him, and he'd burn what he called a "sandwich." A gram of bud, a gram of kief, a gram of hash, a gram of kief, and a gram of bud.

My. God.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I like sativas and sativa heavy hybrids. I don't like stuff that makes me sleepy.

Shatter is my favourite form of smokeable. It keeps all the flavour compounds in a concentrated form that is easily vaped. The flavour from Tangerine or Super Lemon Haze is amazing. The added plus is that you don't need to smoke too much for a good effect.

Other than that, I do like to use a bong once in a while but my Mendo pipe (last version of the proto-pipe) gets the most use.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:07 PM

I would like to do a survey on pot one of these days.I have been claiming for years that smoking even just a little bit too much will ruin your highs. I can take 2 small hits in the morning and stay high till evening. 1 j will last me more than a week. If I smoke a little too much 1 day I really can't get a decent high the next day. I am the only one I know that subscribes to this method but for me it is effective and economical. I have over 50 years experience with it.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:58 AM

Pennsylvania's Medical Marijuana Program, with the addition of anxiety and Tourette syndrome has passed the 180,000 patient mark. (PA's population is 12.81 million)

We're actually seeing some shortages at dispensaries.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're probably right. 30% would be on the high end for flower potency.

I'm not a fan of edibles. I like the 'mental spark' of a Sativa; edibles are more of a body high.
To me edibles are more of a 'trip' then a high. But I take them in big doses. I would maybe eat 100 mg or more to achieve a cannabis 'trip'. If I consume a more moderate dose (for me maybe 50-60 mg) that would be something I might call a 'body high'. I dig where you're coming from.

Also, you can eat sativa edibles just like you do indica ones. One bite at a time
Old 08-16-2019, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Once it's legal federally and can be shipped through the mail, some enterprising businessman is going to come up with a weed subscription box. Every month on the 20th, you get a few flowers of this strain, a few flowers of that strain, some edibles, a pre-filled vape pen. Curated just for you!
I don't think it'll be shipped retail anytime soon. Probably ever. You can't even mail tobacco under most circumstances in the USA.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:43 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I smoked my share of weed as a strapping young lad but never liked it all that much. Mostly it just made me feel paranoid.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:31 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
This already exists - Forbes article.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
This already exists - Forbes article.
It's just paraphernalia and accoutrement, not actual THC-containing products though.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
You can't even mail tobacco under most circumstances in the USA.
:O I had no idea.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:22 PM

Georgia finally got around to legalizing CBD oil, so my running store has started carrying CBD-infused energy chews, hydration, and balms. Iíve used the hydration mix Ė it tasted foul, but gave me a boost. No more than other electrolyte mixes Iíve used, like Nuun or Tailwind, though, and much worse tasting.

I looked at the ingredients of the lotion, and it was, essentially, Tiger Balm, with a little bit of CBD oil. It did sooth some joint aches, but I only got two applications out of a small jar that I paid $40.00 for - not worth the money.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:00 PM

The last time I had any weed, around 1995 or so, it made me so paranoid that I couldn't function. I decided that it was just because I was aging, and was starting to have more worries and less efficient metabolism or something. I gave it up.

I've been reading, here and elsewhere, that the two main different strains can affect your quite differently. Sativa = hyperness and paranoia, and Indica = mellow and drowsy. Can anyone really state that this is the truth? I ask because I visited a dispensary for the first time ever today to get CBD salve for my elbow tendonitis and to try some CBD gummies for insomnia. Overwhelmed by the skunky fragrance in the shop and nostalgia, I also hesitatingly bought one doobie. I asked the budtender for their "absolute least paranoid strain", and she sold me one of purple kush.

Welp, I'm going to try some this weekend for the first time in twenty-five years. I'll find out for myself, I guess about this paranoia vs. mellowness question.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
The last time I had any weed, around 1995 or so, it made me so paranoid that I couldn't function. I decided that it was just because I was aging, and was starting to have more worries and less efficient metabolism or something. I gave it up.

. . .

Welp, I'm going to try some this weekend for the first time in twenty-five years. I'll find out for myself, I guess about this paranoia vs. mellowness question.
It's not so much sativa that can make people paranoid (although I'd call it anxiety not paranoia), as it is the dose of THC. Start LOW. Less than people suggest!
Old 08-16-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
It's not so much sativa that can make people paranoid (although I'd call it anxiety not paranoia), as it is the dose of THC. Start LOW. Less than people suggest!
Agreed. Smoke just enough of the ďpre rollĒ to get a good cough (it might take only one good hit), then put it out. If you havenít smoked in years, youíll be good with just a little bit.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Smoke just enough of the “pre roll” to get a good cough (it might take only one good hit), then put it out. If you haven’t smoked in years, you’ll be good with just a little bit.
I tried it already. I did just as you say - actually I had about 3/4 of one hit. My husband had three big hits, and he hasn't had any since 1995 either! But he's relatively coherent and not anxious.

The Indica vs. Sativa thing is true, at least for me. I don't feel a bit paranoid. As luck would have it, The Big Lebowski started on television just as the purple kush kicked in. Is there a better movie to watch while stoned? Both my husband and I like it very much and I'll be returning to the dispensary.

And I just ate two CBD gummies and am winding down for bed. I'll provide a report on if they knock down the insomnia or not.

Last edited by teela brown; 08-16-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:56 PM

Grrr, I wish the stuff was legal here.

I mean, it's easy enough to get, and the police aren't terribly interested in busting people for possession - unless you give them a reason to - but the local market could really do with an expanded range of consumer options.

All that is available locally, and it's been like this for years, is very strong skunk weed variants. You can't get a nice, mellow lump of hashish for love nor money. Bring back Red Leb, I say!

Last edited by Baron Greenback; 08-16-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I also hesitatingly bought one doobie. I asked the budtender for their "absolute least paranoid strain", and she sold me one of purple kush.
Good choice. Put on some music, get comfy, and relax.

I don't fully understand why people hate "paranoia". If I'm smoking a strain that causes paranoia, I sit back and enjoy it, realizing it's the weed driving my brain on interesting, albeit it "scary" roads.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post

!

I wish it was too.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I tried it already. I did just as you say - actually I had about 3/4 of one hit. My husband had three big hits, and he hasn't had any since 1995 either! But he's relatively coherent and not anxious.

The Indica vs. Sativa thing is true, at least for me. I don't feel a bit paranoid. As luck would have it, The Big Lebowski started on television just as the purple kush kicked in. Is there a better movie to watch while stoned? Both my husband and I like it very much and I'll be returning to the dispensary.

And I just ate two CBD gummies and am winding down for bed. I'll provide a report on if they knock down the insomnia or not.
Any report? My wife suffers from insomnia, and I can get CBD gummies here. If they worked for you, they might work for her.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
It's a good thing the government is keeping people away from psychoactive substances, in Scotland.

What is the popular opinion on legalization in the UK and Scotland in particular?

Does anyone has favorite strains? I quite like blue dream and delahaze. At high enough doses in edible form, they can feel like LSD/ETH-LAD without the spiking tolerance.

Any activities you particularly enjoy while high on pot? I find they combine well with exercise and meditation.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Any report? My wife suffers from insomnia, and I can get CBD gummies here. If they worked for you, they might work for her.
I didn't notice any difference. I went to sleep quite quickly, but in my case, it's the waking up at 3 a.m. that's the problem. That didn't change.

Maybe tonight I'll put off eating any until I wake up at 3 a.m., and then have two or three. I'll see if that works.

The budtender did say that CBD gummies work for some people and don't work for others. You can always buy a small tin of them and try. If they don't work you won't be out a lot of money.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Any activities you particularly enjoy while high on pot? I find they combine well with exercise and meditation.
Playing video games, watching TV, taking a bath - all things I enjoy without pot as well, but which are amplified by being on pot.

And sex. My god, the sex.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:54 PM

I've been twice now to buy legal weed in my area. No card no Dr. It's "adult use."

You can get an 1/8 of bud plus 10 prerolled cleaned weed 3/4 gram per cig, per reserved visit.

The cigs being cleaned and premeasured are good for getting a better handle on your consumption. You don't spark them up, you just empty them.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
I wanted to get back to you again, SMV. I tried the method of taking some CBD gummies at 3 a.m., which is when I usually wake up and can't get back to sleep. I'm afraid they didn't help me with that. But, while lying awake, I noticed a pleasant sense of calm and relaxation, starting about forty-five minutes after taking the gummies.

So, verdict: CBD gummies are relaxing, and I think maybe I'll have some about forty-five minutes before my next airplane flight. I'm a nervous, jittery flyer and I hope they'll help me chill out during turbulence.

But for insomnia, they're not so great. At least for me and my "old person" insomnia - waking up in the wee hours and never getting back to sleep. They might help someone who has trouble getting to sleep at the beginning of the evening.

And to reiterate, the budtender did say CBD worked for some people for insomnia, and not for others.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Playing video games, watching TV, taking a bath - all things I enjoy without pot as well, but which are amplified by being on pot.

And sex. My god, the sex.
Drugs can be like sauces and spices: If you use them to cover up the taste of something you dislike, that's a sign of something wrong. If you use them to enhance something you enjoy, they're great.

Do you notice a difference in the amplification according to the type/strain?
Old 08-20-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Drugs can be like sauces and spices: If you use them to cover up the taste of something you dislike, that's a sign of something wrong. If you use them to enhance something you enjoy, they're great.

Do you notice a difference in the amplification according to the type/strain?
Hard to say. For now, I get whatever my dealer has available. Sometimes Indica, sometimes Sativa. I definitely prefer Sativa, but I legitimately couldn't tell you the difference between this Sativa or that Sativa. I imagine once it becomes legal in a bordering state and I can just drive over there and get whatever I want, when I want it, I might develop a fondness for certain strains.
Old Today, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Do you try to drive or go to work when high?
Yes but only for the last 45 - 50 years.