Old 08-02-2019, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Whatís your opinion of Jack Daniels?

I have no idea how bars stock their liquor, but one of my favorite bars ended up with a ton of Jack Daniels so Iíve been drinking a lot of it lately.

I quite like it although I hope Iím not too biased since they do comp the occasional drink for me.

Iím sure Jack Daniels doesnít make the list for most liquor snobs, but itís been enjoyable to drink neat.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:42 PM

I'm not a liquor snob by any means but I like Jack (black label). Gentleman Jack is even better and would probably make the grade for a liquor snob.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:30 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Regular Jack is a middle of the road whiskey. I'm not likely to order it straight, but it's an excellent mixer.

The Sinatra Select, OTOH, should be mixed with nothing more than adoration.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:37 PM

JD is drinkable, but not very interesting.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:26 PM

Mr.Wrekker has exactly 2 fingers of Jack with one ice cube, in a short glass, at 5:30 and one more at 5:45. I fix them for him at home. Not sure if he keeps it at lake house. He has bottle in his office, it's been there for awhile. So I guess he needs someone to pour for him.
He's definitely not a liquor snob. He's a redneck.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 08-02-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Regular Jack is a middle of the road whiskey. I'm not likely to order it straight, but it's an excellent mixer.
That's pretty close to me. It's got a distinctive taste. I'm not all that fond of it straight. It pairs with Coke in a way that's absolutely awesome IMO.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

It's fine. A brand from my youth, so if I want a reasonably priced whiskey, I'll get a bottle once a year.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:21 PM

JD is good stuff. It has a distinct bite and flavor. Most cheaper brands have a nasty chemical taste. There are some that are almost as good but much lower in price.

Gentleman Jack I find rather bland, but my wife loves it. For me, JD Single Barrel is the best whiskey I've had. I'm not about to go wasting hundreds of dollars finding some ridiculously overpriced specialty whiskey that can beat it, I rarely buy Single Barrel anyway.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:30 PM

I like Jack fine. It's not great, not very interesting, but perfectly good. I don't do many mixed drinks, so I'll usually have it on the rocks. One of the few cocktails I bother with is the Old Fashioned. Jack is perfectly serviceable in them.

If I'm looking for something in that range, I'm more likely to go for Jim Beam, but either is fine.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
That's pretty close to me. It's got a distinctive taste. I'm not all that fond of it straight. It pairs with Coke in a way that's absolutely awesome IMO.
It does.

"I don't always drink whiskey, but when I do, it's... not usually Jack because I don't employ mixers with whiskey anymore, just drink it neat. For that I'll a choose a fairly bog standard Irish, namely Jameson's which while nothing special, tastes good to me. I don't gots many bucks, ya see.

If I was treated to my choice of top-shelf whiskeys I would opt for a well-aged, special batch of some damn good Bourbon. But first I would excuse myself from the bar, get out my phone, get on the SDMB and see if I could catch silenus for the 411.

And really, I'm never gonna turn down a neat shot of any quality whiskey... unless it's Rye. In that case I will first need to be convinced of its absolute ambrosia-ness.

Stay thirsty, my friends!
Old 08-02-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
For that I'll a choose a fairly bog standard Irish, namely Jameson's which while nothing special, tastes good to me. I don't gots many bucks, ya see.
Try Powers. Same price range, maybe a buck or two less, but, in my opinion, far superior. Big flavor compared to Jameson's which seems kind of thin to me after drinking Powers for years.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

It's ok but never my first choice. I prefer bourbon but I'll take Jack over standard Jim Beam every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Mr.Wrekker...
I think he was asking what you think of it.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
It's ok but never my first choice. I prefer bourbon but I'll take Jack over standard Jim Beam every time.I think he was asking what you think of it.
I'd agree with that. However, Jim Beam's small batch brands are quite good. Baker's 7 is my favorite. Knob Creek is also theirs and quite good and a regular go-to for me.

But yeah, JD over generic JB.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:51 PM

If you're out that way, always a great distillery tour.

Mr. Jack Daniels (as the employees still refer to him) kicked my ass really bad once with his tiny, little feet, so no thanx.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:31 AM

In the days when I drank, Jack Daniels and Maker's Mark were the only bourbons I would touch.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Mr.Wrekker has exactly 2 fingers of Jack with one ice cube, in a short glass, at 5:30 and one more at 5:45. I fix them for him at home. Not sure if he keeps it at lake house. He has bottle in his office, it's been there for awhile. So I guess he needs someone to pour for him.
He's definitely not a liquor snob. He's a redneck.
That's awfully early in the morning. Does he go to work after that?
Old 08-03-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
If you're out that way, always a great distillery tour.
That's what I came to say - they crank a lot of people through there, but the tour is very well done, you really come away with a sense that you've seen where and how the product is actually made from start to finish.

Last edited by zombywoof; 08-03-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
It's ok but never my first choice. I prefer bourbon but I'll take Jack over standard Jim Beam every time.I think he was asking what you think of it.
Oh, I'm sorry. I hate the shit. I don't drink.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
That's awfully early in the morning. Does he go to work after that?
In the evening.(pm)
It's funny though there's a whole subset of logging employees. In the summer they start cutting trees about 3am. Liquor stores open at 8am. These guys are waiting for the store to open. They buy their bottle and sleep from noon til early evening.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 08-03-2019 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
That's also my assessment. However, I prefer it neat with just a few drops of water. I've found it has a slight banana taste when you do that.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 08-03-2019, 02:56 AM

Whatís your opinion of Jack Daniels?

Canít stand the stuff, like pretty much any other whiskey.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

When I drink whiskey, I prefer bourbon or a mild rye. Jack has a distinctive flavor that's too hard on me unless I'm mixing it with Coke in honor of St. Lemmy.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:41 AM

I prefer Scotch and rye to bourbon, and can think of several bourbons I prefer to Jack Daniel's (Maker's Mark, Knob Creek and Bulleit come to mind). I know Jack Daniel's is the go-to whiskey for a lot of rock stars, including a few it more or less killed. There's a funny video floating around of Flea imitating a hair metal rocker complaining about having Jim Beam in his limo instead of Jack Daniel's (Damned if I can taste the difference). I live in Korea, where the most available whiskeys are crappy, no-name brands they don't even sell in America, like Windsor and Blue Point, so I can point to some brands I like even less than Jack Daniel's, but I'm not wildly enthusiastic about the stuff.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

I don't like it, and there are other whiskeys at the same price that I actually like. I've got a bottle from the 80's that I inherited. I'll drink a little from now and then, but its taste just isn't great. So, it's still more than half full after years of owning it.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:31 PM

I simply can't do hard liquor any more. I love vodka but I deeply regretting swallowing the same.

Jack Daniels, even more so. Goes down nice and easy, feel great for 30 minutes, feel like hammered shit for 3 days afterwards. I like the smell and taste, but just dare not drink it, or any other kind. (I do like a small sip of good Scotch once in a blue moon.)
Old 08-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

If you want smooth go with Makers Mark or Gentleman Jack.

If you want a great bourbon with a balanced amount of bight, spice, oak, etc I would recommend Woodford Reserve.

JD is neither fish nor fowl to me.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker Grey View Post
IHowever, Jim Beam's small batch brands are quite good.
I've been drinking the Bonded Jim Beam lately. Good stuff and reasonable cost.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:56 PM

It makes my urine smell like charcoal, so my opinion is negative.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:43 PM

It almost killed a friend of mine. Well, he almost killed himself using it.

Last edited by Gatopescado; 08-03-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:11 PM

I consider Jack Daniels a high-end whiskey, but then I am a cheapskate. If I am going to buy a bottle of whiskey at all (a rarity; I prefer gin most of the time) it will be something cheap like Canadian Mist. But when I do happen to have some Jack, like at an all-inclusive resort, I find it exquisite. I would never dream of mixing it with Coke; that would be an insult to both beverages.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
I know Jack Daniel's is the go-to whiskey for a lot of rock stars, including a few it more or less killed. There's a funny video floating around of Flea imitating a hair metal rocker complaining about having Jim Beam in his limo instead of Jack Daniel's (Damned if I can taste the difference).
I misremembered almost every detail of this video ("The Making if Dani California," 2/3, almost 10 minutes long). It was Chad Smith, not Flea, and he was complaining that there was Jack in the limo and he wanted Jim Beam.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:26 AM

I know a woman who drinks JD with a cube along with a high-end cigar. I was chatting with her once at the bar and she lit up a cigar. The bar had recently gone "NO SMOKING" but nobody said a word; indeed, the bartender brought her over a makeshift ashtray.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Jack is reasonable. It's fine to drink it straight, but it's not a whiskey I particularly enjoy straight. Pretty much all I use it for is mixed drinks. There's whiskey's in the same price range I'll drink straight (like Four Roses), but, for whatever reason, Jack is almost always a mixing whiskey for me. Gentleman Jack, though, is a nice, reasonably priced sipper.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:44 PM

Dad always had a bottle of Jack in the house, although he wasn't much of a drinker. He probably kept it around for the occasional work buddy visitor. That, along with the rock-star stories, I've always associated it with middle brow blue-collar tastes.

For the price, I go with Four Roses, but I usually try out a lot of other labels and I feel fortunate that price isn't a big deciding factor with me.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Peyote_Coyote View Post
In the days when I drank, Jack Daniels and Maker's Mark were the only bourbons I would touch.
Jack is not a bourbon, it is in the category of Tennessee whiskey. For a long time George Dickel was the main competitor, but a few have appeared in the last few years.

Gentleman and the other upgraded ones are pretty good, but I do not particularly like the aftertaste of Jack Daniel's. Kind of a weird nutty acorn taste.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:30 PM

He's a great boss...

I've been wanting to print up shirts that look like the JD bottle. But if you read it, it'd say "I don't make much, but I'm not working for the cash. I'm working for the Jack Daniels". Tiny college logo at the bottom.

But back on topic, there's a bartender who's been schooling me on whiskies of all sorts.
I'll walk in and he'll say "Okay, got another one you have to try. This week'll be Irish Whiskies, and tonight: Redbreast 12 Year."

But I can request we skip ahead to American Favorites, and try some Jack Daniels!
(Okay, I'm excited now...)

Last edited by digs; 08-05-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
He's also a well known track coach, although I found him an aloof and disinterested teacher when I had him for a prof.

He also thought I was weird - my own fault, really. One day he asked the class why track events are always run counter-clockwise. I piped up: "The Coriolis Effect. If we were running in the southern hemisphere we'd go clockwise!"

He gave me a long look and never called on me again.

Last edited by Llama Llogophile; 08-05-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

It's a wholly cromulent mainstream form of booze and does the job. But as mentioned even in-house there are better variants one can very soon graduate to as the palate and liver become more seasoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
It was Chad Smith, not Flea, and he was complaining that there was Jack in the limo and he wanted Jim Beam.
Well, that would be worth complaining...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
One day he asked the class why track events are always run counter-clockwise. I piped up: "The Coriolis Effect. If we were running in the southern hemisphere we'd go clockwise!"

He gave me a long look and never called on me again.
I rise and applaud you and will propagate your story holding you as an example to our youth. Imagine there was a "like" button and I clicked it.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 08-05-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Jack is not a bourbon, it is in the category of Tennessee whiskey. For a long time George Dickel was the main competitor, but a few have appeared in the last few years.

Gentleman and the other upgraded ones are pretty good, but I do not particularly like the aftertaste of Jack Daniel's. Kind of a weird nutty acorn taste.
It IS a bourbon, as Tennessee Whiskey is a subset of bourbon, distinguished by the use of the Lincoln County Process- that maple charcoal filtering that Jack Daniels crows about so much in their advertising literature. But George Dickel goes through it too, as the other mainstream Tennessee Whiskey brand.

Personally, Jack Daniels has a... funky flavor that's like a bourbon, but not like either wheated(think Maker's Mark or WL Weller) or rye-heavy bourbon(think Old Grand-Dad or Bulleit) . It's its own animal, I'm guessing because of the filtration process.

It's probably best on its own, in simple cocktails like Old Fashioneds or in some kind of simple highball like a Jack & Coke, where its distinctive flavor will be front and center, and won't be distracting and weird like it would in a drink devised for bourbon or rye.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:55 AM

UK based, and I like a whiskey late at night, usually scotch, but I'm very partial to a Jim Beam; but carelessly I ran out a couple of days ago. Now, I did have a bottle of Jack in the cupboard, basically for younger persons to mix with Coke, as is their fashion. But in the absence of Jim, I thought I may as well have a Jack.

I had skimmed thru this thread a few days back (before I ran out of Jim), read it with interest but really had nothing to add; now I do. My opinion is that Jack is an acquired taste - but damn, do you acquire it quick. I need to do some more studying before I have a final opinion on the matter, but it strikes me as rather more complex than Jim, and easier to drink with every glass. And I reread the detail of this thread with enhanced interest - I did some googling and I can get Bulleit, Makers Mark and Gentleman Jack locally. So thank you all for the suggestions!

j
Old 08-08-2019, 09:45 AM

It's perfectly nice. Not mindblowing, but I can drink it neat without having any unpleasant aftertastes or anything like that, and it's not single-malt priced, so it's all good.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:09 PM

Haven't drank in many a year, but I remember it as being delicious.

-God
Old 08-08-2019, 01:55 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

I don't know much about pricy liquor, because I'm very cheap and frugal. To me jack Daniel's is expensive at $25 fifth when a handle of many other brands is under $20. And I know JD isn't even pricy liquor. The most expensive whiskey I've tried is makers mark and I wasn't impressed by it.

In the times I've tried JD I wasn't impressed (jack Daniel's Tennessee cider is good though).

I'm not sure where the brand loyalty to Jack Daniel's comes from but there seems to be a strong loyalty to it.

Having said that I have tried a wide range of cheap alcohols over the years (under $20 for a 1.75L handle). Old crow whiskey and prestige vodka are the best of the dozens I've tried. Smirnoff is good too.

Also a drink I really enjoy is angry balls. It's a boiler make made with hard cider and fireball whiskey instead of whiskey and beer. Put that in the microwave for ten seconds or so. It's a great holiday drink.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
and easier to drink with every glass.
j
Sorry, to break the news to you, but this is true for every liquor:

First: "Damn, this first sip of bottom-shelf rotgut is pretty bad"
2nd: "Hmm, yeah, pretty bad, but it's drinkable"
3rd: "You know what, this is slipping down pretty good"
4th: "not sure why I spend the extra money for the upper-shelf stuff"
Tapping last drop out of bottle: "shhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttt, not baddddtalllll *hick* *snore*"
Old 08-09-2019, 01:22 PM

Disgusting on it's own. Ok in Coke, though not my favorite mixed drink by far. However, I don't like any hard alcohol straight.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:16 PM

I haven't had Jack Daniels in years, and to be honest, I'd be a bit afraid to try. The one time in my life I drank to the point of vomiting (followed by ten minutes of dry heaves), I was drinking Jack Daniels mixed with Welch's Grape Soda. Yes, I know, disgusting; I was young, didn't really like alcohol, but did have a raging sweet tooth (both still true). That mixture also gave me my only real hangover, too. I suspect a sniff of the odor would bring back some very unpleasant memories.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:48 PM

To me, Jack is just way too much of everything. Too sweet, too smoky, too heavy. If that's what's on offer, I have to mask it with Coke, lime, dash of bitters.

I'm not a fancy whisky drinker; my go-to is Canadian Club and soda.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:52 PM

It's okay. Never my first choice of whiskies either straight or mixed, though.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:11 PM

It's delicious. But not my first choice at that price point.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Sorry, to break the news to you, but this is true for every liquor:

First: "Damn, this first sip of bottom-shelf rotgut is pretty bad"
2nd: "Hmm, yeah, pretty bad, but it's drinkable"
3rd: "You know what, this is slipping down pretty good"
4th: "not sure why I spend the extra money for the upper-shelf stuff"
Tapping last drop out of bottle: "shhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttt, not baddddtalllll *hick* *snore*"
You forgot "wake up three hours later to puke booze and baby carrot chunks all over your friend's white rug" and "spend next three hours cleaning up booze and baby carrot puke out of said carpet while massively hungover "