Old 08-05-2019, 05:49 PM

What other message boards do you like?

With the Dope being down it made me realise just how often I casually put the adblock on and then click the SD bookmark. I've been doing it reflexively all day and keep forgetting to expect the maintenance message.

This made me think that I don't really know any other message boards that I like. I used to know a few but they withered. I look in at the Giraffe Boards but only really the one thread to look at snark about here, so that doesn't really count, besides it's generally just a subset of the same group.

So anybody got any web forum recommendations?

No reddit, I don't like the reddit format. I would prefer the SDMB style linear thread system but threaded would be acceptable.

It must be somewhere where people are generally expected to use correct grammar and orthography. This rules out about 95% of places.

Ideally it wouldn't be about anything, or the reason it was about something has been transcended. A lot of SDMB regulars have probably never read a Cecil column for example, so I'd say SDMB isn't really "about" the Straight Dope any more.

It should have a large enough critical mass that there are regular discussions on a variety of topics.

Anybody have any good suggestions?

Last edited by Mr Shine; 08-05-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:46 PM

The Giraffe Boards.

A lot of people think its only purpose is to be nasty and snark on other Dopers, but that's only one thread. If you don't like the snark, you can avoid that thread. Many current Dopers hang out there and discuss anything under the sun. There are many forums about arts and entertainment, great debates, and just mundane, pointless shit, just like here. We had a lot of activity during the outage.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
The Giraffe Boards.

A lot of people think its only purpose is to be nasty and snark on other Dopers, but that's only one thread. If you don't like the snark, you can avoid that thread. Many current Dopers hang out there and discuss anything under the sun. There are many forums about arts and entertainment, great debates, and just mundane, pointless shit, just like here. We had a lot of activity during the outage.
Other than during SDMB outages, what advantage would their be to another board with the same folks?
Old 08-05-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
With the Dope being down it made me realise just how often I casually put the adblock on and then click the SD bookmark. I've been doing it reflexively all day and keep forgetting to expect the maintenance message.

This made me think that I don't really know any other message boards that I like. I used to know a few but they withered. I look in at the Giraffe Boards but only really the one thread to look at snark about here, so that doesn't really count, besides it's generally just a subset of the same group.

No reddit, I don't like the reddit format. I would prefer the SDMB style linear thread system but threaded would be acceptable.

It must be somewhere where people are generally expected to use correct grammar and orthography. This rules out about 95% of places.

Ideally it wouldn't be about anything, or the reason it was about something has been transcended. A lot of SDMB regulars have probably never read a Cecil column for example, so I'd say SDMB isn't really "about" the Straight Dope any more.

It should have a large enough critical mass that there are regular discussions on a variety of topics.

I notice now that you mentioned the Giraffe Boards and ruled them out. My recommendation stands for anyone else looking for an additional board.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Other than during SDMB outages, what advantage would their be to another board with the same folks?
Well, they have an active Postcard Exchange thread going, so that's good enough for me!

Last edited by blondebear; 08-05-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:29 PM

I've been on a variety of boards over the years and IMHO there is nothing that compares to the SDMB.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I notice now that you mentioned the Giraffe Boards and ruled them out. My recommendation stands for anyone else looking for an additional board.
I just wish those other forums would get some love. 90% of the traffic there seems to be on the snark thread.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

I am currently watching a beta site called ‘changeaview’. Very interesting site, with unique moderation protocols.

So far, I’m liking it. Anyone else tried it yet?
Old 08-05-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
The moderation is looser, much looser. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get a warning. Nuisance posters are sent to the Box, which is the only forum they're allowed to post in. If they're really being an asshole, they're confined there permanently.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:01 PM

I'm using Twitter a lot more than I used to and I've finally figured out Reddit, so I visit the political section there.

What I like about twitter (and dislike about Reddit) is that I know the source of the opinion I'm reading. Mostly anyway. I'm tired of wasting my time with bots and trolls.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:34 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

reddit.

Problem is with reddit there are so many users you never know who you're talking to. Like here I feel I know a lot of users, so I know who is a good source of info and who isn't. On Reddit everyone is a stranger, you never know if you're talking to a genius or a crackpot. Here people establish themselves.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 08-05-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I just wish those other forums would get some love. 90% of the traffic there seems to be on the snark thread.
There are a bunch of us that are pretty active there. It's not as big as this board and I found I've gotten to know people on a more personal level. When my husband died last November, 'Raffers were so helpful and supportive, and even sent me flowers. It took a while to get used to GB after this place moving so fast, but I really like both boards and each has their place.

Plus, we scored Ivory Tower Denizen as a mod.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:56 PM
born to be shunned

These days? None. The only other boards I follow anymore is a specialized Harley one that uses a similar form of vBullitin and a horror-movie-board that is trying to use a Tapatalk version of Yuku. Both just seem really clumsy compared to this place.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:09 PM

Acoustic Guitar forum it's a VBulletin site. Layout similar to the SDMB.

Talkbass forum

BassChat

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-05-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:08 AM

SpaceBattles. Also vBulletin.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:20 AM

Google vbulletin sites

There are lists with thousands of vbulletin boards.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:58 AM

Absolute Write

I've only looked through the window, but the Absolute Write Water Cooler seems like a nice forum for authors. It does largely stick to that one subject, though. It has a rich culture dating back to '99. They are famous for their hatred of vanity publishers, see Atlanta Nights on Wikipedia.

About Absolute Write

Absolute Write Newbie Guide

~Max
Old 08-06-2019, 07:05 AM

14-odd years ago I asked the same question on another forum, and got sent here. That forum was Fodor's Travel Forum.

Last edited by SanVito; 08-06-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:21 AM

A couple D&D RPG sites where I mainly just read rather than post and a video game forum or two. I do most of my inane prattling on either Facebook or Discord.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
The Giraffe Boards.

Yes, I mentioned them in passing in my OP. The big problem with GB for me is that, other than the Snark thread, they fail with the "critical mass". Take their Cafe Society equivalent. There's been 4 active threads, (i.e more than zero posts), in August, one of which is a long running thread about a kids show that only the OP seems to have any interest in. Only 12 active threads since June. Cafe Society is my favourite forum so I used it as the example, but it's pretty much the same for everywhere there.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Yes, I mentioned them in passing in my OP. The big problem with GB for me is that, other than the Snark thread, they fail with the "critical mass". Take their Cafe Society equivalent. There's been 4 active threads, (i.e more than zero posts), in August, one of which is a long running thread about a kids show that only the OP seems to have any interest in. Only 12 active threads since June. Cafe Society is my favourite forum so I used it as the example, but it's pretty much the same for everywhere there.
This becomes self fulfilling.

I like GBB because it has a different vibe from the SDMB. It's more personal a little looser. The main area I hang out is the Ultimate Megapoll Forum where we talk about stupid stuff and have fake arguments over who is a better villain, Gladys Kravitz or Freddy Kruger (Freddy is winning but Gladys is getting support.) and does the Grinch count as a villain (I say no).

It's fun and it's silly and it just wouldn't work here.

Back in the hey day there was a lot more churn but like all boards its slowly dying off in favor of Facebook.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:43 AM

I know OP said no Reddit, but Reddit. There is a vast amount of content there. Multiple subreddits for just about every topic you can think of; cats, art, science, video games, politics, car repair, literature, or even eating oranges in the shower. It can get as specific or as silly as you want. If you don't see a subreddit for a topic you want, you can start your own instantly. Moderation ranges from extreme to nonexistent depending on the subreddit, it's like the wild west. But the good stuff is really good. A good starting subreddit to browse for a cross-section of popular posts on all sorts of topics is popular.

You'll sometimes see posts from Wil Wheaton, Arnold Schwartzenegger, and Snoop Dogg. There are ongoing AMA (ask me anything) posts from many people including Barack Obama. And I love being able to upvote or downvote comments and posts and move on, not everything calls for a reply.

So yeah interface is weird. I fairly quickly got used to the old Reddit website design, I came to appreciate that it squeezed a lot of posts on the page with minimal UI and bandwidth. The new Reddit I can't stand, too many pictures, too much whitespace. So far they let you use the old design if you pick it in the options.

Additionally though, there are mobile clients that have very different interfaces, the one I use on Android is called Now For Reddit and it looks completely different from the website. I do a lot of my Reddit browsing there.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:52 AM

I don't visit it so I can't vouch for it, but my son likes Something Awful
https://forums.somethingawful.com/

Last edited by Emily Litella; 08-06-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: formatting skills have deserted me
Old 08-06-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
This becomes self fulfilling.
The thing is, I'm more a lurker and reader than a poster. I'm not going to save a dying board with my witty repartee, (especially over at GB where the Raffers hold me in contempt ) I just want to glom off an already busy board.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
I am currently watching a beta site called ‘changeaview’. Very interesting site, with unique moderation protocols.

So far, I’m liking it. Anyone else tried it yet?
The rules are strict, but seem to be fair and conductive to actual conversation. I think I'll give it a shot.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
The conversations are very interesting too! Same topics largely, but decidedly different moderation really changes everything. It’s intriguing to me.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Litella View Post
SA is really a collection of communities. There's still some of the dumbest stuff on the internet there, of course, so self-referential by now that it is hard to understand, but the various subforums have plenty of topic-specific quality discussion.

The moderation isn't site-wide, more forum-specific (actually in some cases thread-specific), so lurking is strongly advised. Also, it's pay-to-post.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Litella View Post
I like it too. Not only do I like it, I recently broke my 5+ year old self-promise never to pay no money to speak on no internet message board just so I could finally participate. I like the humour there, and the active moderation + posting tax keeps the signal/noise ratio to a rare minimum.
Depending on one's definition of signal of course .
Old 08-06-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
reddit.

Problem is with reddit there are so many users you never know who you're talking to. Like here I feel I know a lot of users, so I know who is a good source of info and who isn't. On Reddit everyone is a stranger, you never know if you're talking to a genius or a crackpot. Here people establish themselves.
Google "monkeysphere".
Old 08-06-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Problem is with reddit there are so many users you never know who you're talking to.
That's the major thing I don't like about Reddit. There are seven or eight subreddits I visit every day, but I couldn't tell you who the regulars are in those subs—or even if there are regulars. Reddit is probably not the place to go if you're looking for a sense of community.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:22 PM

For travel related questions, Lonely Planet's BB is worthwhile:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/welcome
Old 08-06-2019, 06:15 PM

RPG.net It's focus is on gaming, particularly tabletop (e.g., D&D) but it's a robust community with subboards on media and other topics. Some of the posters in those areas I never see in the gaming sections I visit.

More importantly, it's a refuge from all the basket of deplorables on the net. Ravelry took it's policy about not supporting Nazis and their ilk from RPG.net, so all the people who can't help but troll about Trump, or spew hate at LGBT folks, and the like are sent to the land of wind and ghosts. It garners howls of outrage from people who feel they have a right to spew hatred whe'ere they want, but in the words of RPG.net moderation: "Nazis, fuck those guys."
Old 08-06-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:

I like the City Data forums (city-data.com/forum). Lots of topics, well-run and sensibly moderated.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
RPG.net It's focus is on gaming, particularly tabletop (e.g., D&D) but it's a robust community with subboards on media and other topics. Some of the posters in those areas I never see in the gaming sections I visit.

More importantly, it's a refuge from all the basket of deplorables on the net. Ravelry took it's policy about not supporting Nazis and their ilk from RPG.net, so all the people who can't help but troll about Trump, or spew hate at LGBT folks, and the like are sent to the land of wind and ghosts. It garners howls of outrage from people who feel they have a right to spew hatred whe'ere they want, but in the words of RPG.net moderation: "Nazis, fuck those guys."
This is a great suggestion, thanks.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
That's the major thing I don't like about Reddit. There are seven or eight subreddits I visit every day, but I couldn't tell you who the regulars are in those subs—or even if there are regulars. Reddit is probably not the place to go if you're looking for a sense of community.
There’s that, and the fact that it’s threaded layout is absolutely horrible.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
The moderation is looser, much looser. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get a warning. Nuisance posters are sent to the Box, which is the only forum they're allowed to post in. If they're really being an asshole, they're confined there permanently.
This is really interesting and I'm tempted to visit just to see how it works in practice.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

There are other message boards?

Seriously, the only other board I've been really active on no longer exists. Watching twoofers trying to be rational was fun.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-07-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
And yet I have 4 "followers" on Reddit. I have no idea what that means, exactly, and apparently there is no way to find out who those 4 are.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:48 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
And yet I have 4 "followers" on Reddit. I have no idea what that means, exactly, and apparently there is no way to find out who those 4 are.
Stalkers?
Old 08-07-2019, 11:56 AM

They all died, one by one. I started out on BreakupGirl when I was in high school. Then, Oprah bought it, and it was dead in a year. LOL
Old 08-07-2019, 12:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I haven't been to the International Skeptics Forum(formerly JREF Message Board) for a couple of years, but it was pretty lively when I was there last.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I haven't been to the International Skeptics Forum(formerly JREF Message Board) for a couple of years, but it was pretty lively when I was there last.
If you listen to The Skeptic's Guide To The Universe podcast, the SGU forums are can be pretty lively.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:00 PM

The Datalounge is an anonymous board and has some of the funniest threads out there. I go back and forth between here and there.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
And they allow multiple sock accounts. User name throwawaybecauseimfullofshit type accounts. You cannot tell who might be an interesting person with an interesting post or who is multiple socks boosting each other.

And the whole upvote/downvote thing that determines if your post will even be seen is stupid and prevents opposing points of view. It is like being an echo chamber is ingrained into the board function.

That, and a bit of lurking and you realize that it is 95% young boys fantasies, when they aren't masturbating, and 5% interesting people whose user name you are unlikely to remember.

Except for shittymorph, who was a great story starter, he would drag you in, and then you hear about well... a professional wrestling incident from 1998. I half expected that he would be revealed as a professional writer. But they put a stop to that too.

https://medium.com/@TrukeLayser/the-...h-95aeca09b468
Old 08-07-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
If you listen to The Skeptic's Guide To The Universe podcast, the SGU forums are can be pretty lively.
I would if it would allow me to register. Every time I try I get back "The letters you typed don't match the letters that were shown in the picture."...but the verification is the type where you check off all the pictures of lighthouses or tractors or streetlights in a set of nine pictures. There is no place to type any letters, so I don't know what the hell they want me to do.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't find a way to contact the mods there to let them know that I cannot register. If you wouldn't mind, could you tell them that, no matter what I do I get the "The letters you typed don't match the letters that were shown in the picture." response?
Old 08-07-2019, 09:04 PM

Urban75 is the main one. Others can confirm it's still active etc. Mainly UK-centred, left of centre.

If you don't like being told to fuck off, fuck off. It's the kind of forum that tells people to fuck off a lot for being an idiot, but if you're in real trouble, and you've been there for a while, there's a huge amount of support.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiSam View Post
Urban75 is the main one. Others can confirm it's still active etc. Mainly UK-centred, left of centre.

If you don't like being told to fuck off, fuck off. It's the kind of forum that tells people to fuck off a lot for being an idiot, but if you're in real trouble, and you've been there for a while, there's a huge amount of support.
It's a good board. As Sam says it's left-of-centre, and that's by UK standards, so make sure you know what you are talking about on the political subforums, or you will be eaten alive.

Apart from the communism and the anarchism, it's a lot like here really. Anti-woo, pro-science, loads of recipes and chatting shit about TV and music and film. HUGE train fans
Old 08-08-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I can't find a way to contact the mods there to let them know that I cannot register. If you wouldn't mind, could you tell them that, no matter what I do I get the "The letters you typed don't match the letters that were shown in the picture." response?
I started a thread asking about your problem. In the "help" section there is only this:

Quote:
A form of visual verification may be present in order to confirm that a guest is actually a person and not a bot. This verification may be requested in two ways - CAPTCHA and custom questions. The CAPTCHA method displays an image containing a random collection of letters, which a guest must enter into a text field. The custom questions method displays one or more relatively simple questions, which a guest must answer correctly. A forum may be configured to use both methods at the same time.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
reddit.

I wandered around there some, and whenever I saw something I might want to contribute to, I would see at the top: "27.3K Comments". When a subject garners thousands of comments, what's the point of adding to it? I tried the very specific hobbyist subs, and there is no discussion of equipment or methodology. Just "Here's a picture of me doing [thing]". Over and over and over.

There are some interesting subs about science, the future and nature, but I just read without commenting.