Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,912

"The Hunt:" A movie about hunting "deplorables" for fun


NBC Universal Pictures is filming a movie in which people to get to stalk and shoot "deplorables" for fun. Titled "The Hunt," it stars Hilary Swank, but its ads have been temporarily pulled in wake of the El Paso and Dayton shootings. The studio still plans to go forward with its release, though - September 27.

(thread is more Cafe than Elections, but probably intersects)
  #2  
Old 08-08-2019, 08:55 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,855
That sounds like an incredibly bad idea for a movie. Or a book. Or anything, really. I can't believe they got funding at all, let alone that they got people to act in it, etc.. Show some sense, people.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-08-2019 at 08:55 PM.
  #3  
Old 08-08-2019, 08:57 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 84,466
Wow, that just sounds like a terrible idea no matter how you look at it.
  #4  
Old 08-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 17,242
Why? You’ve seen The Most Dangerous Game, haven’t you?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MlLIquCiyUw
__________________
Uke
  #5  
Old 08-08-2019, 09:02 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11,321
I didn't realize that Hilary Swank's career had fallen that low. It looks like the type of movie that usually doesn't star anyone who has ever been off the "C"-list.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 08-08-2019 at 09:02 PM.
  #6  
Old 08-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Alpha Twit's Avatar
Alpha Twit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere south of normal
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I didn't realize that Hilary Swank's career had fallen that low. It looks like the type of movie that usually doesn't star anyone who has ever been off the "C"-list.
It's possible she simply supports the idea of the project.
__________________
Ask not the Dopers a question for you will receive three answers, all of which are true and horrifying to know.
  #7  
Old 08-08-2019, 09:50 PM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 7,856
Meh, it looks and sounds terrible in many ways but people seemed to like The Purge movies, as well as ton of other garbage, so whatever.
__________________
It may be because I'm a drooling simpleton with the attention span of a demented gnat, but would you mind explaining everything in words of one syllable. 140 chars max.
  #8  
Old 08-08-2019, 10:13 PM
Sefton is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Stalag 17
Posts: 1,688
That's it, Hilary. We're through. I could live with you ignoring my emails, phone calls, and skywriting, but this is the last straw.
  #9  
Old 08-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 31,460
Have people, including the OP, actually read the article the OP linked to? You might be interested in some of the content.

Quote:
A high-level insider says top executives want to stand by Blum, one of the studio's most prolific and successful producers, as well as filmmaker Craig Zobel, and see the project as a satire addressing an issue of great social importance. ...

a Universal executive, who says the movie "is meant to show what a stupid, crazy world we live in," adding, "It might even be more powerful now."
AFAIK, nobody outside the insiders has read the script or seen any footage. (Even Fox News had to make this disclaimer.) People are going crazy based on a soundbite.

Sure, it might be exploitative, awful, insulting, and just plain wrong. Or it might make an important point about guns and our society in an entertaining way that would reach people. The only thing we can know for sure is that condemning something based on absolutely no information is the worst way to proceed.
  #10  
Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 PM
Banksiaman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 985
Shades of Turkey Shoot, beloved of Quentin Tarantino but not so much by anyone watching it without drugs. Strong drugs.

Could we argue that splatter flicks like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Mothers Day and so on already represent hunting of normo-Democrat types by 'deporables' and this is an enviable attempt to re-balance the genre?
  #11  
Old 08-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Sefton is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Stalag 17
Posts: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
AFAIK, nobody outside the insiders has read the script or seen any footage. (Even Fox News had to make this disclaimer.) People are going crazy based on a soundbite.
The casting supports the article. All the main characters are white and at least two of them (Ethan Suplee and Macon Blair) have played ignorant hicks in the past.
  #12  
Old 08-08-2019, 10:48 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,159
It's obvious to everyone that this is a grotesque right-wing fantasy, right? I mean, the "deplorables" comment is remembered far more by the right than by the left; and the old-as-shit trope about elites hunting regular Joes is always and 100% on the side of the regular Joes, who end up killing the elites.

This sounds like a garbage fantasy. Come on, Hollywood. I know you're cynical, but this cynical?
  #13  
Old 08-08-2019, 11:03 PM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 4,104
This film will be fodder (or ammo?) for more idiotic alt-righters to do more idiotic shit.
  #14  
Old 08-09-2019, 09:03 AM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,581
It seems typical of Blumhouse Productions films; low cost horror so it doesn't have to do big box office to be profitable. Wikipedia says it cost about $18 million, which is actually a lot compared to many of their films, which often cost less than $5 million. They've had a winning formula.
  #15  
Old 08-09-2019, 09:21 AM
Der Trihs's Avatar
Der Trihs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,818
It sounds like "outrage marketing". It panders to fantasies the right wing has about the left, and the idea is probably to get lots of right wingers loudly condemning it in order to advertise the film for free. And maybe to get left wingers to watch it in rebellion against the right.

It would hardly be the first time a really awful film tried to get market share by making a show of being offensive.

Last edited by Der Trihs; 08-09-2019 at 09:22 AM.
  #16  
Old 08-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
It sounds like "outrage marketing". It panders to fantasies the right wing has about the left, and the idea is probably to get lots of right wingers loudly condemning it in order to advertise the film for free. And maybe to get left wingers to watch it in rebellion against the right.

It would hardly be the first time a really awful film tried to get market share by making a show of being offensive.
I think you have it backwards: this sounds like a film marketed to the alt right. I just about guarantee that the MAGAhats will be the heroes of the film. Most Dangerous Game films NEVER vilify the hunted.
  #17  
Old 08-09-2019, 09:30 AM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,581
Here's the plot description from Wikipedia, although I don't know if it's accurate. "The film follows twelve strangers, referred to as deplorables in the trailer, who mysteriously wake up in a clearing. They do not know where they are or how they got there. They discover that they have been chosen to be hunted in a game devised by a group of rich elites. The hunters gather in a remote facility called the Manor House, but their sport gets derailed when one of the hunted, Crystal (Gilpin), fights back and starts killing them one by one." Sounds like the "deplorable" played by Betty Gilpin is the protagonist.
  #18  
Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
I saw the trailer for that movie. I didn't associate "deplorables" with any political statements. I just thought they were criminals or whatever. And they were being hunted by rich people and one of the hunted starts getting back at them.

This isn't the first movie to have this theme, not sure why it appears some of you are shocked by it or think it's a bad idea.
  #19  
Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 AM
ZPG Zealot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksiaman View Post
Could we argue that splatter flicks like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Mothers Day and so on already represent hunting of normo-Democrat types by 'deporables' and this is an enviable attempt to re-balance the genre?
When I first heard of this movie I actually thought, "It's about time." The unfortunate problem is most "deporables" lack the intellectual ability to understand this.
  #20  
Old 08-09-2019, 10:11 AM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I saw the trailer for that movie. I didn't associate "deplorables" with any political statements. I just thought they were criminals or whatever. And they were being hunted by rich people and one of the hunted starts getting back at them.
You may not have associated deplorables that way, but the most famous use of the term was by Hillary Clinton in August 2016, when she said, "You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? They're racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic – Islamophobic – you name it. And unfortunately, there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people – now have 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks – they are irredeemable, but thankfully, they are not America."

It's hard to imagine that the film is using the word to refer to a different sort of people.
  #21  
Old 08-09-2019, 10:36 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 19,301
Is there any over-the-top partisan satire cinema that's actually good? 'Cause I'm guessing that this isn't it.
  #22  
Old 08-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Defensive Indifference is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I think you have it backwards: this sounds like a film marketed to the alt right. I just about guarantee that the MAGAhats will be the heroes of the film. Most Dangerous Game films NEVER vilify the hunted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Here's the plot description from Wikipedia, although I don't know if it's accurate. "The film follows twelve strangers, referred to as deplorables in the trailer, who mysteriously wake up in a clearing. They do not know where they are or how they got there. They discover that they have been chosen to be hunted in a game devised by a group of rich elites. The hunters gather in a remote facility called the Manor House, but their sport gets derailed when one of the hunted, Crystal (Gilpin), fights back and starts killing them one by one." Sounds like the "deplorable" played by Betty Gilpin is the protagonist.
This is my thinking as well. The underdogs being oppressed by the elites are ALWAYS the heroes. There is roughly a 0% chance that a movie is going to show rich people hunting poor people for sport as the good guys.
  #23  
Old 08-09-2019, 10:51 AM
simster is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
This is my thinking as well. The underdogs being oppressed by the elites are ALWAYS the heroes. There is roughly a 0% chance that a movie is going to show rich people hunting poor people for sport as the good guys.
Maybe thats why the alt-right hate it so much?
  #24  
Old 08-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 84,466
Ah, OK, so it's actually about a deplorable hunting people (albeit, other deplorables, though they probably won't pick up on that part). Yeah, that makes sense now.
  #25  
Old 08-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Yet again, Titletown
Posts: 22,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Ah, OK, so it's actually about a deplorable hunting people (albeit, other deplorables, though they probably won't pick up on that part). Yeah, that makes sense now.
As I read it, the one deplorable starts hunting the hunters (the non-Deplorables).
  #26  
Old 08-09-2019, 11:26 AM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I saw the trailer for that movie. I didn't associate "deplorables" with any political statements. I just thought they were criminals or whatever. And they were being hunted by rich people and one of the hunted starts getting back at them.

This isn't the first movie to have this theme, not sure why it appears some of you are shocked by it or think it's a bad idea.
Some people hear the word "deplorable", and think, "Hey that's me!"

I can see how people can choose to take offense to it, even though it sounds like the "deplorables" end up winning in the end, just as there are some who are up in arms about "Hillbilly Elegy", because they assume that it's all about beating on them.
  #27  
Old 08-09-2019, 11:27 AM
Blank Slate's Avatar
Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Is there any over-the-top partisan satire cinema that's actually good? 'Cause I'm guessing that this isn't it.
There's that word. The linked article made multiple mentions of this flick being a satire. What is it satirizing?

A bit sad to see Damon Lindelof associated with this after the brilliant The Leftovers. This film might surprise but it's hard to imagaine how.
  #28  
Old 08-09-2019, 11:41 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Some people hear the word "deplorable", and think, "Hey that's me!"

I can see how people can choose to take offense to it, even though it sounds like the "deplorables" end up winning in the end, just as there are some who are up in arms about "Hillbilly Elegy", because they assume that it's all about beating on them.
Actually, I wondered why I didn't notice this in the trailer, and I just watched it again. Nobody says "deplorables" in the trailer. Further reading shows it's in the screenplay. And anyway, the hunted rise up and win in the end.

Plus it looks pretty awesome, so I can't wait until it comes out.
  #29  
Old 08-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 84,466
Quote:
Quoth Telemark:

As I read it, the one deplorable starts hunting the hunters (the non-Deplorables).
Where did you get the impression that there are any non-deplorables in this movie at all?
  #30  
Old 08-09-2019, 12:08 PM
Defensive Indifference is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Where did you get the impression that there are any non-deplorables in this movie at all?
I'm not speaking for Telemark, but this is from the linked article:

Quote:
The script for The Hunt features the red-state characters wearing trucker hats and cowboy shirts, with one bragging about owning seven guns because it's his constitutional right. The blue-state characters — some equally adept with firearms — explain that they picked their targets because they expressed anti-choice positions or used the N-word on Twitter. "War is war," says one character after shoving a stiletto heel through the eye of a denim-clad hillbilly.
If "deplorable" is meant to indicate Trump-supporting red-staters, then the "non-deplorables" would presumably be the blue-staters killing them. The movie seems to be pitting red-hatted deplorables against liberal elites.

Or are you just insisting that everyone in the film is "deplorable" in the traditional sense of the word? I mean, that's probably true, but not really on point for this discussion.
  #31  
Old 08-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Eyebrows 0f Doom is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,288
I saw the trailer for this on TV a few days ago and I didn’t hear anything mentioned about “deplorables.” It just looked like a fake movie trailer for a really cheesy movie, at first I thought it was one of those Taco Bell ads until Hilary Swank showed up.
  #32  
Old 08-09-2019, 01:37 PM
Asuka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,272
This reminds me of The Purge movies in the style of "Movies that think they're super-deep and politically relevant when they're really not"
  #33  
Old 08-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Baker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tottering-on-the-Brink
Posts: 20,301
I would be curious to find out what criteria were used to label a person as a "deplorable"
__________________
Never give up, never surrender!
  #34  
Old 08-09-2019, 01:44 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Where did you get the impression that there are any non-deplorables in this movie at all?
It's deplurtles all the way down!
  #35  
Old 08-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Walken After Midnight is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,777
Looks like Trump is weighing into the debate.
  #36  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:13 PM
asterion is offline
Just Some Guy
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 11,736
I'm not going to watch it not because of any controversy but because Damon Lindelof sucks.

Last edited by asterion; 08-09-2019 at 02:14 PM.
  #37  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:44 PM
E-DUB's Avatar
E-DUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,680
Echos of "The Last Supper"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113613...1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Or a reverse on "Joe".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065916/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3
  #38  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:50 PM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 7,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
Looks like Trump is weighing into the debate.
"Liberal Hollywood is Racist at the highest level, and with great Anger and Hate! They like to call themselves “Elite,” but they are not Elite. In fact, it is often the people that they so strongly oppose that are actually the Elite."

This coming from the guy with a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.
__________________
It may be because I'm a drooling simpleton with the attention span of a demented gnat, but would you mind explaining everything in words of one syllable. 140 chars max.
  #39  
Old 08-09-2019, 03:26 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I would be curious to find out what criteria were used to label a person as a "deplorable"
Apparently, "anti-choice positions or used the N-word on Twitter."
  #40  
Old 08-09-2019, 04:22 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
That is one of the most tone-deaf things I've ever read described.
  #41  
Old 08-09-2019, 04:34 PM
NDP's Avatar
NDP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: PNW USA
Posts: 9,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I didn't realize that Hilary Swank's career had fallen that low. It looks like the type of movie that usually doesn't star anyone who has ever been off the "C"-list.
Being photographed sitting on the lap of a central Asian despot might have something to do with her current status in Hollywood.
__________________
Can also be seen at:

Last FM Library Thing
  #42  
Old 08-09-2019, 04:39 PM
HyacinthBucket is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
"Liberal Hollywood is Racist at the highest level, and with great Anger and Hate! They like to call themselves “Elite,” but they are not Elite. In fact, it is often the people that they so strongly oppose that are actually the Elite."

This coming from the guy with a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

__________________
It may be because I'm a drooling simpleton with the attention span of a demented gnat, but would you mind explaining everything in words of one syllable. 140 chars max.

For a moment or two I thought that your Siggie was a continuation of the tweet. But apparently it was just one of those happy coincidences.
__________________
"When I invite a woman to dinner, I expect her to look at my face. That's the price she has to pay."
Otis B. Driftwood

Last edited by HyacinthBucket; 08-09-2019 at 04:40 PM.
  #43  
Old 08-09-2019, 04:48 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,254
Sounds like it's been done before.
  #44  
Old 08-09-2019, 05:03 PM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 7,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Sounds like it's been done before.
That one looks way better! (By better I mean ridiculously terrible but fun instead of just stupid)

Ice-t!
Rutgers hauer!
Charles S. Dutton!
Gary Busy!...ok, maybe not !
F. Murray Abraham!
John C. McGinty!

I wanna watch this garbage tonight!
__________________
It may be because I'm a drooling simpleton with the attention span of a demented gnat, but would you mind explaining everything in words of one syllable. 140 chars max.
  #45  
Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
NBC Universal Pictures is filming a movie in which people get to stalk and shoot "deplorables" for fun.
That doesn't make sense; it's the deplorables who have all the guns.

OK, sarcasm aside, this sounds like a movie with something to offend everyone.
  #46  
Old 08-09-2019, 09:06 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,843
This sounds like a poorly disguised ripoff of "The Hunger Games", only featuring adults killing each other for sport.
  #47  
Old 08-09-2019, 09:12 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Rutgers hauer!
But sadly, no MIT Romney.
  #48  
Old 08-10-2019, 01:55 AM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
I'm not going to watch it not because of any controversy but because Damon Lindelof sucks.
...counterpoint: I had zero interest in this movie at all until I found out it was written by Damon Lindelof and Nick Cuse (who was part of the Leftovers writing room) and directed by Craig Zobel (who directed the incredible "International Assassin" episode of the Leftovers) and now I'm utterly convinced that this movie will be a complete and utter mind-fuck that will defy expectations and has been elevated to my "must-see" list.
  #49  
Old 08-10-2019, 03:27 AM
Ellis Dee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 14,277
For a similar theme as described by the OP, check out the dark comedy God Bless America. Joel Murray (Bill's brother) decides to take out the most offensive members of society since he's got no life and may have terminal cancer anyway.

His definition of offensive isn't quite the same as Clinton's deplorables. Think more along the lines of people who talk in movie theaters, or who pound energy drinks all day, or who use terms like "edgy."

It's also not about a set hunting ground. He and his sidekick (a high school girl with her own issues) just kind of go off in the world and gun down anyone who pisses them off.

It's really quite good.
  #50  
Old 08-10-2019, 06:38 AM
pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Is there any over-the-top partisan satire cinema that's actually good? 'Cause I'm guessing that this isn't it.
I don't know if it fits the bill but Red State by Kevin Smith was sort of entertaining a kind of Waco meets Fred Phelps-esque cult leader thing going on, I don't know if it bares repeat watching but I found it original and entertaining.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017