Old 08-08-2019, 08:50 PM

"The Hunt:" A movie about hunting "deplorables" for fun

NBC Universal Pictures is filming a movie in which people to get to stalk and shoot "deplorables" for fun. Titled "The Hunt," it stars Hilary Swank, but its ads have been temporarily pulled in wake of the El Paso and Dayton shootings. The studio still plans to go forward with its release, though - September 27.

(thread is more Cafe than Elections, but probably intersects)
Old 08-08-2019, 08:55 PM

That sounds like an incredibly bad idea for a movie. Or a book. Or anything, really. I can't believe they got funding at all, let alone that they got people to act in it, etc.. Show some sense, people.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-08-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Wow, that just sounds like a terrible idea no matter how you look at it.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Why? You’ve seen The Most Dangerous Game, haven’t you?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MlLIquCiyUw
Old 08-08-2019, 09:02 PM

I didn't realize that Hilary Swank's career had fallen that low. It looks like the type of movie that usually doesn't star anyone who has ever been off the "C"-list.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 08-08-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I didn't realize that Hilary Swank's career had fallen that low. It looks like the type of movie that usually doesn't star anyone who has ever been off the "C"-list.
It's possible she simply supports the idea of the project.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:50 PM

Meh, it looks and sounds terrible in many ways but people seemed to like The Purge movies, as well as ton of other garbage, so whatever.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:13 PM

That's it, Hilary. We're through. I could live with you ignoring my emails, phone calls, and skywriting, but this is the last straw.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Have people, including the OP, actually read the article the OP linked to? You might be interested in some of the content.

Quote:
A high-level insider says top executives want to stand by Blum, one of the studio's most prolific and successful producers, as well as filmmaker Craig Zobel, and see the project as a satire addressing an issue of great social importance. ...

a Universal executive, who says the movie "is meant to show what a stupid, crazy world we live in," adding, "It might even be more powerful now."
AFAIK, nobody outside the insiders has read the script or seen any footage. (Even Fox News had to make this disclaimer.) People are going crazy based on a soundbite.

Sure, it might be exploitative, awful, insulting, and just plain wrong. Or it might make an important point about guns and our society in an entertaining way that would reach people. The only thing we can know for sure is that condemning something based on absolutely no information is the worst way to proceed.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 PM

Shades of Turkey Shoot, beloved of Quentin Tarantino but not so much by anyone watching it without drugs. Strong drugs.

Could we argue that splatter flicks like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Mothers Day and so on already represent hunting of normo-Democrat types by 'deporables' and this is an enviable attempt to re-balance the genre?
Old 08-08-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
AFAIK, nobody outside the insiders has read the script or seen any footage. (Even Fox News had to make this disclaimer.) People are going crazy based on a soundbite.
The casting supports the article. All the main characters are white and at least two of them (Ethan Suplee and Macon Blair) have played ignorant hicks in the past.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

It's obvious to everyone that this is a grotesque right-wing fantasy, right? I mean, the "deplorables" comment is remembered far more by the right than by the left; and the old-as-shit trope about elites hunting regular Joes is always and 100% on the side of the regular Joes, who end up killing the elites.

This sounds like a garbage fantasy. Come on, Hollywood. I know you're cynical, but this cynical?
Old 08-08-2019, 11:03 PM

This film will be fodder (or ammo?) for more idiotic alt-righters to do more idiotic shit.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

It seems typical of Blumhouse Productions films; low cost horror so it doesn't have to do big box office to be profitable. Wikipedia says it cost about $18 million, which is actually a lot compared to many of their films, which often cost less than $5 million. They've had a winning formula.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:21 AM

It sounds like "outrage marketing". It panders to fantasies the right wing has about the left, and the idea is probably to get lots of right wingers loudly condemning it in order to advertise the film for free. And maybe to get left wingers to watch it in rebellion against the right.

It would hardly be the first time a really awful film tried to get market share by making a show of being offensive.

Last edited by Der Trihs; 08-09-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
It sounds like "outrage marketing". It panders to fantasies the right wing has about the left, and the idea is probably to get lots of right wingers loudly condemning it in order to advertise the film for free. And maybe to get left wingers to watch it in rebellion against the right.

It would hardly be the first time a really awful film tried to get market share by making a show of being offensive.
I think you have it backwards: this sounds like a film marketed to the alt right. I just about guarantee that the MAGAhats will be the heroes of the film. Most Dangerous Game films NEVER vilify the hunted.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Here's the plot description from Wikipedia, although I don't know if it's accurate. "The film follows twelve strangers, referred to as deplorables in the trailer, who mysteriously wake up in a clearing. They do not know where they are or how they got there. They discover that they have been chosen to be hunted in a game devised by a group of rich elites. The hunters gather in a remote facility called the Manor House, but their sport gets derailed when one of the hunted, Crystal (Gilpin), fights back and starts killing them one by one." Sounds like the "deplorable" played by Betty Gilpin is the protagonist.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 AM

I saw the trailer for that movie. I didn't associate "deplorables" with any political statements. I just thought they were criminals or whatever. And they were being hunted by rich people and one of the hunted starts getting back at them.

This isn't the first movie to have this theme, not sure why it appears some of you are shocked by it or think it's a bad idea.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksiaman View Post
Could we argue that splatter flicks like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Mothers Day and so on already represent hunting of normo-Democrat types by 'deporables' and this is an enviable attempt to re-balance the genre?
When I first heard of this movie I actually thought, "It's about time." The unfortunate problem is most "deporables" lack the intellectual ability to understand this.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I saw the trailer for that movie. I didn't associate "deplorables" with any political statements. I just thought they were criminals or whatever. And they were being hunted by rich people and one of the hunted starts getting back at them.
You may not have associated deplorables that way, but the most famous use of the term was by Hillary Clinton in August 2016, when she said, "You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? They're racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic – Islamophobic – you name it. And unfortunately, there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people – now have 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks – they are irredeemable, but thankfully, they are not America."

It's hard to imagine that the film is using the word to refer to a different sort of people.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:36 AM

Is there any over-the-top partisan satire cinema that's actually good? 'Cause I'm guessing that this isn't it.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I think you have it backwards: this sounds like a film marketed to the alt right. I just about guarantee that the MAGAhats will be the heroes of the film. Most Dangerous Game films NEVER vilify the hunted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Here's the plot description from Wikipedia, although I don't know if it's accurate. "The film follows twelve strangers, referred to as deplorables in the trailer, who mysteriously wake up in a clearing. They do not know where they are or how they got there. They discover that they have been chosen to be hunted in a game devised by a group of rich elites. The hunters gather in a remote facility called the Manor House, but their sport gets derailed when one of the hunted, Crystal (Gilpin), fights back and starts killing them one by one." Sounds like the "deplorable" played by Betty Gilpin is the protagonist.
This is my thinking as well. The underdogs being oppressed by the elites are ALWAYS the heroes. There is roughly a 0% chance that a movie is going to show rich people hunting poor people for sport as the good guys.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
This is my thinking as well. The underdogs being oppressed by the elites are ALWAYS the heroes. There is roughly a 0% chance that a movie is going to show rich people hunting poor people for sport as the good guys.
Maybe thats why the alt-right hate it so much?
Old 08-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Ah, OK, so it's actually about a deplorable hunting people (albeit, other deplorables, though they probably won't pick up on that part). Yeah, that makes sense now.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Ah, OK, so it's actually about a deplorable hunting people (albeit, other deplorables, though they probably won't pick up on that part). Yeah, that makes sense now.
As I read it, the one deplorable starts hunting the hunters (the non-Deplorables).
Old 08-09-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post

This isn't the first movie to have this theme, not sure why it appears some of you are shocked by it or think it's a bad idea.
Some people hear the word "deplorable", and think, "Hey that's me!"

I can see how people can choose to take offense to it, even though it sounds like the "deplorables" end up winning in the end, just as there are some who are up in arms about "Hillbilly Elegy", because they assume that it's all about beating on them.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Is there any over-the-top partisan satire cinema that's actually good? 'Cause I'm guessing that this isn't it.
There's that word. The linked article made multiple mentions of this flick being a satire. What is it satirizing?

A bit sad to see Damon Lindelof associated with this after the brilliant The Leftovers. This film might surprise but it's hard to imagaine how.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Some people hear the word "deplorable", and think, "Hey that's me!"

I can see how people can choose to take offense to it, even though it sounds like the "deplorables" end up winning in the end, just as there are some who are up in arms about "Hillbilly Elegy", because they assume that it's all about beating on them.
Actually, I wondered why I didn't notice this in the trailer, and I just watched it again. Nobody says "deplorables" in the trailer. Further reading shows it's in the screenplay. And anyway, the hunted rise up and win in the end.

Plus it looks pretty awesome, so I can't wait until it comes out.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth Telemark:

As I read it, the one deplorable starts hunting the hunters (the non-Deplorables).
Where did you get the impression that there are any non-deplorables in this movie at all?
Old 08-09-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Where did you get the impression that there are any non-deplorables in this movie at all?
I'm not speaking for Telemark, but this is from the linked article:

Quote:
The script for The Hunt features the red-state characters wearing trucker hats and cowboy shirts, with one bragging about owning seven guns because it's his constitutional right. The blue-state characters — some equally adept with firearms — explain that they picked their targets because they expressed anti-choice positions or used the N-word on Twitter. "War is war," says one character after shoving a stiletto heel through the eye of a denim-clad hillbilly.
If "deplorable" is meant to indicate Trump-supporting red-staters, then the "non-deplorables" would presumably be the blue-staters killing them. The movie seems to be pitting red-hatted deplorables against liberal elites.

Or are you just insisting that everyone in the film is "deplorable" in the traditional sense of the word? I mean, that's probably true, but not really on point for this discussion.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:24 PM

I saw the trailer for this on TV a few days ago and I didn’t hear anything mentioned about “deplorables.” It just looked like a fake movie trailer for a really cheesy movie, at first I thought it was one of those Taco Bell ads until Hilary Swank showed up.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:37 PM

This reminds me of The Purge movies in the style of "Movies that think they're super-deep and politically relevant when they're really not"
Old 08-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

I would be curious to find out what criteria were used to label a person as a "deplorable"
Old 08-09-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
It's deplurtles all the way down!
Old 08-09-2019, 01:56 PM

Looks like Trump is weighing into the debate.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

I'm not going to watch it not because of any controversy but because Damon Lindelof sucks.

Last edited by asterion; 08-09-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:44 PM

Echos of "The Last Supper"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113613...1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Or a reverse on "Joe".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065916/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3
Old 08-09-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
Looks like Trump is weighing into the debate.
"Liberal Hollywood is Racist at the highest level, and with great Anger and Hate! They like to call themselves “Elite,” but they are not Elite. In fact, it is often the people that they so strongly oppose that are actually the Elite."

This coming from the guy with a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I would be curious to find out what criteria were used to label a person as a "deplorable"
Apparently, "anti-choice positions or used the N-word on Twitter."
Old 08-09-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
That is one of the most tone-deaf things I've ever read described.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Being photographed sitting on the lap of a central Asian despot might have something to do with her current status in Hollywood.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 08-09-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
"Liberal Hollywood is Racist at the highest level, and with great Anger and Hate! They like to call themselves “Elite,” but they are not Elite. In fact, it is often the people that they so strongly oppose that are actually the Elite."

This coming from the guy with a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

For a moment or two I thought that your Siggie was a continuation of the tweet. But apparently it was just one of those happy coincidences.

Last edited by HyacinthBucket; 08-09-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:48 PM

Sounds like it's been done before.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Sounds like it's been done before.
That one looks way better! (By better I mean ridiculously terrible but fun instead of just stupid)

Ice-t!
Rutgers hauer!
Charles S. Dutton!
Gary Busy!...ok, maybe not !
F. Murray Abraham!
John C. McGinty!

I wanna watch this garbage tonight!
Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
NBC Universal Pictures is filming a movie in which people get to stalk and shoot "deplorables" for fun.
That doesn't make sense; it's the deplorables who have all the guns.

OK, sarcasm aside, this sounds like a movie with something to offend everyone.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:06 PM

This sounds like a poorly disguised ripoff of "The Hunger Games", only featuring adults killing each other for sport.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Rutgers hauer!
But sadly, no MIT Romney.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
I'm not going to watch it not because of any controversy but because Damon Lindelof sucks.
...counterpoint: I had zero interest in this movie at all until I found out it was written by Damon Lindelof and Nick Cuse (who was part of the Leftovers writing room) and directed by Craig Zobel (who directed the incredible "International Assassin" episode of the Leftovers) and now I'm utterly convinced that this movie will be a complete and utter mind-fuck that will defy expectations and has been elevated to my "must-see" list.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:27 AM

For a similar theme as described by the OP, check out the dark comedy God Bless America. Joel Murray (Bill's brother) decides to take out the most offensive members of society since he's got no life and may have terminal cancer anyway.

His definition of offensive isn't quite the same as Clinton's deplorables. Think more along the lines of people who talk in movie theaters, or who pound energy drinks all day, or who use terms like "edgy."

It's also not about a set hunting ground. He and his sidekick (a high school girl with her own issues) just kind of go off in the world and gun down anyone who pisses them off.

It's really quite good.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I don't know if it fits the bill but Red State by Kevin Smith was sort of entertaining a kind of Waco meets Fred Phelps-esque cult leader thing going on, I don't know if it bares repeat watching but I found it original and entertaining.