Old 08-12-2019, 11:16 PM
born to be shunned

Kayaker -- you didn't happen to have a little ooopsi with a car, the nest, and a nearby house tonight, did you? I caught something on the news and --------- the thought crossed my mind ----------
Old 08-13-2019, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

Molten aluminum will do for the underground sort of nest, though this doesn't help Kayaker much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUezq1GyAko

There are lots of hits involving a shop vac for other sorts of nests. It looks like one of them suggested lining the vac with duct tape!
Old 08-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Kayaker -- you didn't happen to have a little ooopsi with a car, the nest, and a nearby house tonight, did you? I caught something on the news and --------- the thought crossed my mind ----------
Nope. My daughter returned from a trip to the Jersey shore with her fiancée's family. She came by to pick up her dog.

What happened that I missed out on?!
Old 08-13-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Call an exterminator. Not only will they get rid of the nest, they can also spray the area with an anti-pheromone so they won't rebuild. I found this out when I first moved into my current place, and wasps kept building nests under my deck chair and I called the landlord because I figured there was some kind of mother-lode nest somewhere.

7 years later, I still haven't had a re-infestation.
I love it when I get a a chance to tell this story. When I signed up for a lawn service several years ago, they knocked on my door and said they refused to trim my bushes in the front yard because there was a hornets nest in one of them. "How bad can it be?" thought I. Well they showed it to me and it was HUGE! It was bigger than a full-sized football. It was close to basketball size, except more oblong. Anyway, there was no way I was going near that thing either; so I called an exterminator. I was expecting a dude to come over dressed in something akin to a hazmat suit to properly remove it. Nope, just some dude in jeans and t-shirt, and a can of wasp spray. He walked over to the nest, found the entrance hold; and just started spraying the crap out of it! Then he shot at a few wasps flying around that were pissed off that their home was gone. After that he kicked it down with his boot, and scooped it into a trash bag. "That'll be $50." It was nothing short of amazing. Best money I ever spent.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:12 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Nope. My daughter returned from a trip to the Jersey shore with her fiancée's family. She came by to pick up her dog.

What happened that I missed out on?!
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019...causes-flames/
Old 08-13-2019, 11:19 AM

Any way to smoke them out? If the nest is up in a tree can you put a weber grill directly below it and burn some greener wood?
Old 08-13-2019, 11:24 AM

The only good hornet/wasp/yellow jacket is a dead one. Use Raid, the one made for destroying nests. It shoots a stream of deadly poison into the hole. You can enjoy yourself watching bodies drop to the ground.

Oh, do it at NIGHT, when they are all in there and docile.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:26 AM

Sounds like Kayaker has it under control with spray, but I was hoping he'd use the shotgun. Several shots of birdshot would probably decimate the hive and the bees inside.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
OMG that was an amazing event!!!
Old 08-13-2019, 12:10 PM

I use Onslaught insecticide, it takes a while it's not a knock down spray but it does the job. I also use it to bait yellow jackets when they start getting aggressive for meat. Last year I must have killed every nest within a quarter mile.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:24 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
OMG that was an amazing event!!!
With our luck being what it is sometimes you can see where ----------------

I had just gotten home from irk, flipped the TV on, and it was that story. And literally the first thought in my brain was "I wonder if". I knew it was the wrong township but ------ this is the internet after all.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
I use Onslaught insecticide, it takes a while it's not a knock down spray but it does the job. I also use it to bait yellow jackets when they start getting aggressive for meat. Last year I must have killed every nest within a quarter mile.
Aren't you afraid you'll kill all your local pollinators?
Old 08-13-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
The only good hornet/wasp/yellow jacket is a dead one.
They are pollinators, and also predators on other insects that do much more genuine damage.

That doesn't mean you have to allow a nest to stay under your front steps or over your kitchen door. But this general hate on a huge number of mostly-beneficial species is not a good idea.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Aren't you afraid you'll kill all your local pollinators?
The standard way of using such stuff to kill yellowjackets is to apply it to meat, e.g., cat food, and put that out where they can get it. Bees won't be interested in it. Local pets, wildlife, etc. might be so it has to be really isolated from them. Which is really hard if there's squirrels around. (And even if you don't mind some dead squirrels, there's the things that eat the dead/dying ones you need to be mindful of.)
Old 08-13-2019, 05:05 PM

Yellowjackets are also pollinators.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:31 PM

If you must get rid of hornets, best way to do so is just with a giant (preferably transparent) trash bag. Envelope the whole nest with it, break off the stem/neck of the nest, and tie the whole bag up. And then double-bag it. (While wearing long sleeves, long pants, gloves, something for facial protection, etc.)

Then you can just put it in a dumpster or something.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post

Then you can just put it in a dumpster or something.
Or wrap it in an Amazon box and leave it on your doorstep overnight.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Video of a guy burning a bald-faced hornets nest. This guy is a beekeeper and doesn't use poison, and is usually pretty tolerant of wasps. but baldies have to go.

StG
Old 08-13-2019, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

We once had a thread (deleted) by a poster (banned) about eating a wasp nest. I wonder if a hornet nest is any better?