Old 08-13-2019, 04:37 PM

Office workers - do you keep food at your desk?

I keep chocolate at my desk all the time. It's my caffeine. And it's good quality chocolate - Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet.

I also currently have two boxes of cereal - one that I have for breakfast occasionally, and one that I snack on as an alternative to eating yet more chocolate.

I try to keep some sort of dried fruit at my desk, again, to do something healthier than chocolate, but I'm out right now.

And some hard candy in case my mouth gets dry.

We just got an email saying we "shouldn't keep food overnight" in our desks. In my case? Not gonna happen.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:45 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

I sometimes have a box of crackers on my desk, which I'll nibble on over the course of a few days.

If you're getting notifications that your employer doesn't want people keeping food at their desks, it suggests that they've had an issue with bugs or mice (or worse). I'd suggest, if you aren't going to stop keeping food at your desk, maybe get some plastic containers (or resealable bags) to hold it, so it's not easily accessible by critters.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:47 PM

Yes, they're getting ants. All of my food is in sealed bags except the chocolate. Which goes too fast to worry about.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:52 PM

I'll keep a bag of chips in my desk drawer so I can have a handful with a sandwich at lunch. I also keep a bowl of candy but I don't have a big sweet tooth, it's more for people passing by.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:11 PM

Nope, not unless you count the ziplock bag in my drawer with rather a lot of Tylenol in it. (It's technically edible but I wouldn't recommend snacking.)
Old 08-13-2019, 05:22 PM

I occasionally keep peanut butter there but it of course is sealed. The bread and jelly is kept in the fridge.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:22 PM

No. I don't like to mix business and pleasure.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:24 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I keep a bag of salted almonds in one drawer, and I have tea bags in another, but they're so old, I really need to toss them. I do my best not to snack too much, and on days like today, I get so busy, I almost miss my lunch break.

We've got a variety of snacks in the break room for cheap, but I avoid going in there - it's dangerous if I have change in my pocket...
Old 08-13-2019, 05:34 PM

Sometimes a variety of little chocolates or candies in a lidded jar to share with others--almond M&Ms at the moment. A box of teabags and, on a short-term basis, there might be a banana or two for breakfast placed in the overdesk cabinet.

I've also occasionally kept those little pudding-cups in the cabinet. I used to put them in the kitchen fridge, but then someone stole them, and I'd rather have pudding at room temperature than not there at all when I want it.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:38 PM

I typically keep a bag of chips or something similar at my desk. I figure it's cheaper than buying snacks from the vending machine all the time. I also usually bring a piece of fruit from home every day in addition to my lunch.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

My business was open 24/7 so I shared my desk with people on other shifts. If I had kept food in my desk, it would have been eaten.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:54 PM

I keep a box of Kind bars in my desk, for when I have an insulin reaction. We've got people that keep half a dozen different types of snacks out on their desks--chips, crackers, candy, stuff that'll keep for a few weeks at least--and I'm constantly amazed that we don't have any bug problems here.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

I bring in candy and put it on someone else's desk. That way people won't come to mine.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

I have little single serving packs of cashews, , a couple of sauce bottles, salt, and pepper, coffee grounds, and tea (loose and bags).

The shared refrigerator is nearby so I keep everything else there.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

I've got some Costco-sized boxes of granola bars and the like. I tend not to like a big breakfast, so I'll have something small at home and a couple more snacks mid-morning. I also have a few bottles of booze, but that's here mostly until the next time I drive as those are tough to carry on my bike.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:59 PM

I don't eat breakfast on any kind of typical daytime hours work schedule. If it's the most important meal of the day why do they schedule it so damned early? Some granola bars and nuts are pretty commonly stashed for the days where I need to eat something before lunch rolls around.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Sure. I keep tea, peanuts, tuna and crackers, and other shelf-stable food. Some is for snacking, but others are for a quick lunch if I can't leave the office.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:09 PM

I don't have an office job right now, but I always kept a lot of food in my desk. I usually needed some pick me up by 3pm on slow days. A few tootsie rolls, a mug of cocoa or tea (we only had coffee despite our pleas for variety), some hard candies. I started keeping a can of soup too for emergency lunches for when I'd forget or be broke.

We never had bugs or vermin. I don't think we were particularly clean eaters, but maybe our storage methods were more impervious.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Sure. I keep tea, peanuts, tuna and crackers, and other shelf-stable food. Some is for snacking, but others are for a quick lunch if I can't leave the office.
I have dried fruit, a few rice krispies treats, and oatmeal in case I don't get my crap together enough to make lunch in the morning.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:25 PM

I have fruit&nut granola bars in the desk drawer. A cylinder of oatmeal is over by the hot water dispenser for breakfasts, and my lunch is either in my lunchbag with me at the desk or over in the fridge, so any food in the drawer is really just for emergencies. I make sure to stock bars that I don't like terribly much so I'm not tempted to eat them out of boredom. Salted nuts wouldn't last a minute.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:19 AM

I've had jobs where "the red cross drawer" included the darkest chocolate we'd been able to find: we would have one square per day at most, and the other women in the office didn't steal it (one even had the gall to complain about it not being to her liking). No other snacks, and actual meals will usually go into the fridge if one is available, stay in a cool bag if not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
I don't eat breakfast on any kind of typical daytime hours work schedule. If it's the most important meal of the day why do they schedule it so damned early?
Ah, another one who hasn't realized why it is the most important meal of the day. It's the most important meal of the day because it's the first one and well, if you don't have a first meal in a given day it's a day you haven't eaten at all. When it happens and what does it include varies by location, individual, work shift... and that's where a lot of the people who like to pontificate about it being "so important" fail: I still haven't encountered a single one who understood that other people have different waking hours, different working hours and different stomachs than they do.

Last edited by Nava; 08-14-2019 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:44 AM

Absolutely, & ever since working in an office that had a mouse problem where they decided to 'share' my snacks I've kept my food in a 'vault' (aka one of those popcorn tins you get at Xmas time).
Old 08-14-2019, 03:37 AM

I don't, because then I'd just be munching all day. If I'm feeling particularly peckish, I either take a banana from the company-supplied communal fruit bowl, or steal a chocolate biscuit from the boardroom.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:49 AM
Charter Member

No, I try not to eat anything other than lunch and an evening meal. The only other things I eat, out of politeness, tend to be celebratory morning/afternoon teas and the odd homemade thing that someone proudly brings in.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Ah, another one who hasn't realized why it is the most important meal of the day. It's the most important meal of the day because it's the first one and well, if you don't have a first meal in a given day it's a day you haven't eaten at all.
That's not what people mean when they say "breakfast is the most important meal of the day." They say that to scold people who skip breakfast. So the time of day is important. They are saying "It is important to have a meal at the start of the day, soon after you wake." They do not mean to say "whatever meal you eat after a long fast is the important meal of the day."
Old 08-14-2019, 06:25 AM

I've got a little refrigerator in my office. I also have a file drawer that I use for dry goods. I make sandwiches and such for lunch, oatmeal with milk and strawberries for breakfast (I get to work quite early, and am never ready for breakfast when I leave home at 6am, so I eat at work)
Old 08-14-2019, 06:44 AM

I keep a Ziploc bag of peppermint and butterscotch hard candy in my desk.

I occasionally have a box of Cheez-It crackers on my desk.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:46 AM

Got a desk drawer stocked with granola bars and a big jar of mixed nuts. All sealed, so little concern about vermin.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

I keep tea and oatmeal. The oatmeal is in Tupperware with screw on lids, so I can just add hot water. It makes a really good emergency lunch/snack and it's kinda my test for if I am really hungry or just bored and want to eat. if I am not hungry enough to eat oatmeal, I certainly don't need junk.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:35 AM

Just my daily lunch, which I eat at my desk throughout the day.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Back when I was in an office, I kept tea and honey at my desk. And I found that I often had a bit of a sweet tooth after lunch, and that a mini-sized Milky Way or the like was usually enough to satisfy it, so I kept a bunch of those, too.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:39 AM

Yeah, I snack from boredom, and the stress of interacting with others. By the time I quit my last job I'd wound up with what seemed like a couple week's worth of food squirreled away. Nuts, candy, crackers, instant soup & oatmeal packets, mini cans of baked beans, cookies, good quality dark chocolate (hi O.P.!) and boxes of various fruit snacks, jerky, etc.

What can I say, I like variety in my snackage.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Rind View Post
I also have a few bottles of booze,
Are you an old timey detective? Work in an advertising firm?

Yes, I keep food at work: Dried fruit, nuts, etc. I eat small amounts of food often.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:21 AM

Homemade Chex mix that's probably rancid by now that I need to toss today before I leave on vacation. Ditto for some homemade chocolate chip cookies and some toasted & salted walnuts. Half a pack of Starburst, Icebreakers, gum, and some ginger lozenges (if that counts as food).

eta: and a box of Swiss Miss cocoa envelopes. With marshmallows.

Last edited by AllShookDown; 08-14-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:32 PM

When I worked: Lunch everyday in an insulated sack with an "ice" pack to keep the beverage cold. A jar of peanuts to nosh on. Which meant I had to keep the desk locked to keep the janitors out.

Keeping ones lunch in the office fridge was a very poor option.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllShookDown View Post
Homemade Chex mix that's probably rancid by now that I need to toss today before I leave on vacation. Ditto for some homemade chocolate chip cookies and some toasted & salted walnuts. Half a pack of Starburst, Icebreakers, gum, and some ginger lozenges (if that counts as food).

eta: and a box of Swiss Miss cocoa envelopes. With marshmallows.
I can't even conceptualize hommade chocolate chip cookies going stale.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Are you an old timey detective? Work in an advertising firm?
I work in the creative/tech world. You know, keg in the kitchen, drinks on the rooftop deck type stuff. Pretty free and breezy.

For today though, the booze on my desk is stuff I had shipped and haven't been able to take home yet. I'm not wasting 30 year old Armagnac on these heathens, that's for sure.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
When I worked: Lunch everyday in an insulated sack with an "ice" pack to keep the beverage cold. A jar of peanuts to nosh on. Which meant I had to keep the desk locked to keep the janitors out.

Keeping ones lunch in the office fridge was a very poor option.
Wow. I've never had anything like that taken out of my desk, and I've been keeping good quality chocolate around for ages.

There was a rash at one place of pagers being stolen if left lying around... which should tell you how long ago that was.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

I keep some granola and dried fruit around if I get hungry and/or cannot take a lunch break. We get emails (usually in the summer) about ants, but the only time I ever had a problem with ants was when they attempted to colonize my phone. In the previous week, I had noticed an ant or two crawling across my desk - they did look like the typical 'sugar' or 'rover' ants we see in this area in the summer. I keep my snacks in a sealed container so I didn't worry about it much.

Then one morning I came in and there was a swarm on my desk! They were all trying to get inside the phone. I imagined the inside looking a little like this. We called building maintenance and they sprayed the phone. I took it outside and spent about 15 minutes shaking dead ants out of it.

Amazingly, after all that the phone still worked. And they haven't come back.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:51 PM

A couple of pears or tangerines, depending on season.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Most I've ever kept in my desk has been a bottle of hot sauce.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:36 PM

I never had an office job, as such, but I spent 31 years teaching high school and that involved a lot of time at a desk. I never kept food in my desk. Partly, this was because I taught science with associated labs and one never eats in a lab. Partly it was just that I have long had the habit of not eating during the day.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:52 PM

No wonder we're getting so heavy. Keeping food at our desks when we used to keep low calorie goodies like cigarettes, lighters and ashtrays.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
They say that to scold people who skip breakfast. So the time of day is important. They are saying "It is important to have a meal at the start of the day, soon after you wake."
Those are the people I snark at...especially the ones who are blatantly scolding. They can keep their aggregate rules of thumb away from my non-aggregate body. Skipping breakfast is the clearly better answer for me.

I cant eat without feeling ill for around and hour or two after I wake up. Feeling like I am going to hurl for half the morning is the normal result of eating before that. Sometimes it's been more than feel like. If I bothered to get a diagnosis, I pretty clearly have Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder. In more colloquial terms, I'm a night owl. Mix the two and I'm skipping breakfast anytime I'm on a normal daytime schedule. Just conforming to daytime hours is a constant challenge. I'm not getting up early enough to eat without getting ill. I find other ways to manage food around conforming to the already unnatural schedule that society mostly dictates.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

On the breakfast tangent, I've always been a morning person, but I haven't regularly eaten breakfast since middle school, which was more than half a century ago.

This morning, the alarm woke me up at 5 (I usually wake up well before the alarm; this was unusual), and yes, I keep food in my desk drawer. So far this morning, I've nibbled my way through half a bagel with nothing on it. Definitely not a breakfast-eater.

When I do eat breakfast, it's inevitably in addition to, rather than instead of, my other meals. So if I ate breakfast regularly, I'd gain weight fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
I can't even conceptualize hommade chocolate chip cookies going stale.
I'm with you - the notion totally boggles the mind.

At my house, they're lucky to last long enough to cool down to room temperature.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 08-16-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:44 AM

Oh yeah, definitely. At my last job my snack drawer was well known in the (admittedly small) office and it gave people an excuse to come chat.

I always have some kind of granola bar/Pop Tart for breakfast because I hate breakfast and force myself to eat it. Usually some peanuts, sometimes chips and something sweet like a Fruit by the Foot or a hard candy.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

I keep a jar of peanuts on my desk, and a big bag of dried fruit or trail mix or something similar in my overhead bin. Sometimes I will have a box or two of Kashi bars. I also keep a snack-sized zipper baggie of Grape-Nuts at my desk, for those days that I bring a cup of yogurt to work for breakfast, so I can mix them in.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:05 AM

When I commuted I kept pistachios at my desk. Great to nibble on when thinking great thoughts. Pistachio dust kept getting into my keyboard and actually ruined one calculator. Now working from home, I just walk to the kitchen for my nibbles.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

The mice here have been known to chew through thin plastic containers for a yummy treat, so I use metal containers with good seals. One has peanut butter-based snacks (mostly Reese's Pieces), the other has chocolate bars of varying darkness (eaten one square at the time, hence the need for a container with a good seal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
I cant eat without feeling ill for around and hour or two after I wake up. Feeling like I am going to hurl for half the morning is the normal result of eating before that.
Me too!! My appetite doesn't show up until 9:30 AM or so, but if I don't eat breakfast I'll start scarfing down my snacks by mid-morning. I've figured out a few things that help me:
  • No multi-vitamins in the morning (too much iron, I guess?).
  • No heavy foods -- a piece or two of toast, and a few bites of fruit.
  • No orange juice -- it's acidic enough that it triggers instant heartburn and gagging.

Of course, on days when the company provides breakfast or someone has brought in tasty treats, I have to repeatedly explain why I haven't grabbed a plate. I've resorted to explaining that if I try to eat when I'm not hungry, I throw up (which is true, but is rude to share at work).
Old 08-17-2019, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

I keep some shelf stable foods in my desk but I almost never eat there. They're for emergency lunches. Right now off the top of my head (it's Saturday), I've got a couple small canned hams, a can of green beans, some heat&eat Indian packets, a can of Progresso split pea for when I need a sodium spike.