Old 07-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Cannot download large files or boot into safe mode

I cannot download large files (e.g. iTunes). It will start downloading normally, get approximately 20 to 50 MB (it varies) into a 90 MB file and just stop. I first noticed it trying to upgrade to iTunes 9 and os4 for the iphone. After several tries, it finally just worked, but now I'm trying to download a later version and I can't. Today I tried Adobe Reader to see if it was just a problem with Apple, but it is not.

It was suggested that I try to boot into safe mode and try from there, but it turns out I can't boot into safe mode. It goes to what looks like a DOS screen and shows a list of commands (I guess) but then when it looks like it's about to go into Windows, I get a screen with different colored thin stripes.

I also tried going into msconfig and temporarily disabling all the junk that loads on startup, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Any ideas on either of these? I have an HP Media Center PC and Windows XP. It's a few years old.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Update: Eventually, I was able to download those files but a larger download kept timing out. It turns out it was timing out on the laptop as well. So, I disconnected the computer from the wireless router and connected it directly to the cable modem and voilą. So...any recommendations for a new router?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:18 AM

It sounds like the Safe Mode video driver doesn't work with your configuration. That is really odd, though--as it's supposed to be the lowest common denominator video driver. Are you using it as it came, or have you (re)installed windows on it?

As for a router: sorry--I've only ever had one--and people don't tend to recommend it.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Before you junk your router, try resetting it. There is usually a small hole in the back that will allow a paper clip to press the reset button inside. Hold it down until the power light goes off, then comes back on.

If you are using wireless networking, you will have to re-enter your network settings. I have revived seemingly dead routers this way before.