Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1151  
Old 07-31-2019, 08:16 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 42,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
See my last sentence you quoted.

I'm hoping someone will recognize it. No Diamondbacks today to see it.
Yes, that was the idea.
  #1152  
Old 08-02-2019, 11:52 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,403
What's this, the love child of Old Spice Guy and The Most Interesting Man?
  #1153  
Old 08-03-2019, 12:16 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,403
I've had molten marshmallow on my bare skin; still have the scar. Ain't no way that guy would just sit there.
  #1154  
Old 08-03-2019, 12:31 PM
Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,630
Ha! I don't agree that's annoying. At least, not yet.

But your description is spot on.
  #1155  
Old 08-11-2019, 09:43 AM
Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,584
The Chantix turkey. At first at least it made sense. He was getting into a pool that was cold, so he didn't want to do it "cold turkey". Okay. The latest has him going out to the lake to body board or wind surf or whatever, dip his toe in and it's too cold, so he just drives home instead.

That totally destroys the metaphor. "It's too hard, I'll just not do it" means "I'll just not quit smoking", which is the opposite of their intended message.
  #1156  
Old 08-13-2019, 08:17 AM
Dolores Reborn's Avatar
Dolores Reborn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Houston
Posts: 14,797
I'm annoyed at the Chantix turkey because I used Chantix to quit smoking three months ago. Every time I see the commercial I think about smoking!

Still not smoking, though! (Sneak brag... lol)
  #1157  
Old 08-13-2019, 11:49 AM
cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 22,522
I don't find this commercial for Always undergarments annoying so much as I find it amusing. The lady's "tunic tuck" reminds me of Capt. Jean-Luc Picard's famous Picard maneuver.

Last edited by cochrane; 08-13-2019 at 11:49 AM.
  #1158  
Old 08-14-2019, 08:50 AM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,723
The most recent LifeAlert ad is borderline cruel... It's noticably louder than other commercials (isn't this practice illegal?), and features an elder lying helpless in a darkened room while the exceedingly loud voiceover goes on about how this could happen TO YOU and you could lie there in PAIN for hours or DAYS before help arrives. Look, I know old people can have hearing issues, but the entire tone of this commercial seems designed to frighten people into purchasing this product.

There's a local dealership chain (Leith) with a commercial for one of their branches that features each department's manager practically delivering a lecture on the services they offer to a woman who I guess is supposed to represent a customer. She looks bored and disinterested the entire time, and would clearly rather be anywhere else. And did I mention that the commercial drags on forever?
  #1159  
Old 08-14-2019, 10:35 AM
Biggirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 18,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
The most recent LifeAlert ad is borderline cruel... It's noticably louder than other commercials (isn't this practice illegal?), and features an elder lying helpless in a darkened room while the exceedingly loud voiceover goes on about how this could happen TO YOU and you could lie there in PAIN for hours or DAYS before help arrives. Look, I know old people can have hearing issues, but the entire tone of this commercial seems designed to frighten people into purchasing this product.
I remember the first time I saw the original LifeAlert ad. Mid '80s in the middle of the night. I had to nudge my husband awake to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. An old person falls down the stairs. She calls and calls pityingly for help while the voiceover tells us how THIS could be YOU! Another person falls down, activates her LifeAlert and utters the famous line, "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" Cut to the person who didn't have LifeAlert. EMTs are covering her body and shaking their heads sadly meanwhile the LifeAlert patient is joking with the paramedics. I was shocked. "Did they just kill that old lady?" They soon removed the part with the sad covering of the body.
  #1160  
Old 08-14-2019, 10:47 AM
Biggirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 18,882
Looks like I was conflating two different Life Call Systems commercials. The "I've fallen and I can't get up" one with the very first Life Call that nobody remembers. Where did they get that stunt old woman? P.S., Life Call is the 'fallen and can't get up' company. LifeAlert stole their thunder!
  #1161  
Old 08-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,723
I remember "I've fallen and I can't get up"; the over-the-top delivery of the line was viewed as humorous by my fellow first graders. I don't remember the commercial with the body being covered though.

ETA: that line was either inspired by, or uttered by, an actual customer. I'll look it up when I have more time.

Last edited by Jeep's Phoenix; 08-14-2019 at 04:06 PM.
  #1162  
Old 08-14-2019, 04:17 PM
Infovore's Avatar
Infovore is offline
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Somewhere fictional
Posts: 11,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
I remember "I've fallen and I can't get up"; the over-the-top delivery of the line was viewed as humorous by my fellow first graders. I don't remember the commercial with the body being covered though.

ETA: that line was either inspired by, or uttered by, an actual customer. I'll look it up when I have more time.
They even made a song about it - it used to play a lot on Dr. Demento when I was in college.
  #1163  
Old 08-14-2019, 05:02 PM
FairyChatMom's Avatar
FairyChatMom is online now
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 42,292
Then there's the old man saying "I've fallen in the park and I can't get up!"

The park - is there only one park? And if it's the only one, how horrible must it be that there's no one else around? OK, I assume there's some sort of GPS locator beacon in the little gizmo, but still, "the park"?
  #1164  
Old 08-14-2019, 06:14 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 29,275
A friend relayed a related joke. (Mind you, it's an old joke.) Jesus Christ goes to New York and decides to visit a disco. He's not able to dance well, though, so he cries out, "Help! I've risen and I can't get down!" (As I warned you, old joke.)

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 08-14-2019 at 06:15 PM.
  #1165  
Old 08-14-2019, 08:47 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,723
Here she is!

(Or rather, was.)
  #1166  
Old 08-19-2019, 03:23 PM
Finagle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere near Boston
Posts: 9,978
Lately they've been running a Cabella's commercial.

The days are getting shorter.

There's a chill in the air.

This is what you live for.

Going out in the woods and killing things.


OK, I added that last line. But I find the commercial jarring. I get it, some guys like to hunt. And, as a carnivore, I have no moral high ground in the matter. But the lyrical approach doesn't seem appropriate when discussing guys dressing up in camo, going out in the woods, having a few beers, and blasting the crap out of deer with shotguns.
  #1167  
Old 08-19-2019, 03:27 PM
Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,630
What's annoying about Life Alert is it could actually be a good product for people that live alone, especially in rural areas. And for people of all ages. but those commercials! I'd be ashamed to admit I had it.
  #1168  
Old 08-19-2019, 03:57 PM
Infovore's Avatar
Infovore is offline
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Somewhere fictional
Posts: 11,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
But the lyrical approach doesn't seem appropriate when discussing guys dressing up in camo, going out in the woods, having a few beers, and blasting the crap out of deer with shotguns.
If the deer have shotguns, there might be a good reason to blast the crap out of them!
  #1169  
Old 08-19-2019, 04:10 PM
MacCat's Avatar
MacCat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
If the deer have shotguns, there might be a good reason to blast the crap out of them!
Damn buckshot!
  #1170  
Old 08-19-2019, 04:15 PM
Orwell is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Keystone State
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
I get it, some guys like to hunt. And, as a carnivore, I have no moral high ground in the matter. But the lyrical approach doesn't seem appropriate when discussing guys dressing up in camo, going out in the woods, having a few beers, and blasting the crap out of deer with shotguns.
Are you under the impression that hunters drink beer before going hunting? Or that hunting consists of blasting the crap out of deer with shotguns? I'll give you the camo part, though I've never heard a hunter call it "dressing up in camo".
  #1171  
Old 08-19-2019, 04:37 PM
Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
Lately they've been running a Cabella's commercial.

The days are getting shorter.

There's a chill in the air.

This is what you live for.

Going out in the woods and killing things.


OK, I added that last line. But I find the commercial jarring. I get it, some guys like to hunt. And, as a carnivore, I have no moral high ground in the matter. But the lyrical approach doesn't seem appropriate when discussing guys dressing up in camo, going out in the woods, having a few beers, and blasting the crap out of deer with shotguns.
I'm not sure this is the commercial you're referencing, but damn! It's like a training video for al quaida. All those kids excited about killing something! Positively giddy. It's weird, and disturbing.

In my day, no one I know acted like that hunting. Geeze.

Get 'em while they're young!

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 08-19-2019 at 04:38 PM.
  #1172  
Old 08-19-2019, 05:06 PM
cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 22,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I'm not sure this is the commercial you're referencing, but damn! It's like a training video for al quaida. All those kids excited about killing something! Positively giddy. It's weird, and disturbing.

In my day, no one I know acted like that hunting. Geeze.

Get 'em while they're young!
No, this is the commercial.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/olfS/bass-pr...miliar-feeling
  #1173  
Old 08-19-2019, 05:31 PM
Finagle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere near Boston
Posts: 9,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I'm not sure this is the commercial you're referencing, but damn! It's like a training video for al quaida. All those kids excited about killing something! Positively giddy. It's weird, and disturbing.

In my day, no one I know acted like that hunting. Geeze.

Get 'em while they're young!
I think that one is way worse. That's super creepy.
  #1174  
Old 08-20-2019, 11:48 AM
salinqmind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Liverpool NY USA
Posts: 10,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
Are you under the impression that hunters drink beer before going hunting? Or that hunting consists of blasting the crap out of deer with shotguns? I'll give you the camo part, though I've never heard a hunter call it "dressing up in camo".
'Sashaying about in camo' sounds better to me.
  #1175  
Old 08-20-2019, 12:52 PM
Orwell is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Keystone State
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
'Sashaying about in camo' sounds better to me.
That certainly gives one vivid impression. "Dressing up in camo" sounds like a city dweller going to a Halloween party.
  #1176  
Old 08-20-2019, 04:25 PM
Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,584
Wow, "training video for al quaida" [sic]? Really? I get that some of you are not hunting enthusiasts, but geez.

Sure, that Cabela's and Bass Pro shops one is a little overdone "This is your season. This is what you live for." Whatever. They're hunters, and they enjoy hunting.

The one with the people excited that they were successful hunting, that also seems natural. I remember getting excited going quail hunting, and the time I actually had the shotgun in my hand and my dog set on a bird in front of me. Then the disappointment hit when the bird flushed and I had the safety on.

Those deer hunters seem to be doing a lot more what I think deer hunting should be. They're actually walking through the woods looking for deer. The majority of deer hunting that takes place now is a) set up a deer blind; b) set up a deer feeder near the blind; c) start feeding the deer regularly from August on; d) go out during deer season and shoot the deer that show up at your feeder. Doesn't seem that sporting (or fun) to me.

Also, hunters probably shouldn't be drinking beer before they go shooting, but plenty drink beer afterwards, or go the next morning.
  #1177  
Old 08-20-2019, 04:47 PM
Orwell is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Keystone State
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Wow, "training video for al quaida" [sic]? Really? I get that some of you are not hunting enthusiasts, but geez.
Agree, but that kind of comment doesn't surprise me here at SDMB.

Quote:
The one with the people excited that they were successful hunting, that also seems natural. I remember getting excited going quail hunting, and the time I actually had the shotgun in my hand and my dog set on a bird in front of me. Then the disappointment hit when the bird flushed and I had the safety on.
Some of it was a little over the top, but I've been around teenagers who shoot their first turkey or deer, and they are plenty excited and proud. Hunting isn't just walking into the woods and blasting animals. It's about preparing and practicing, getting up early, staving off freezing cold weather, and spending time with dad or mom or Uncle Bill.

Quote:
The majority of deer hunting that takes place now is a) set up a deer blind; b) set up a deer feeder near the blind; c) start feeding the deer regularly from August on; d) go out during deer season and shoot the deer that show up at your feeder. Doesn't seem that sporting (or fun) to me.
I don't know where you are, but baiting game is a huge no-no in PA. Game wardens spend plenty of time looking for violators, and fines are huge. I don't know anyone who used feed or bait to hunt.

Quote:
Also, hunters probably shouldn't be drinking beer before they go shooting, but plenty drink beer afterwards, or go the next morning.
Oh, yeah, lots of beer drank after the hunt is over, but not before or during. Drinking and handling guns and knives is pretty stupid, and I don't see any of that, either.
  #1178  
Old 08-20-2019, 06:32 PM
peccavi's Avatar
peccavi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South Bay, SoCal
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
Oh, yeah, lots of beer drank after the hunt is over, but not before or during. Drinking and handling guns and knives is pretty stupid, and I don't see any of that, either.
You've obviously never been hunting with the Ale and Quail Club!
  #1179  
Old 08-20-2019, 07:18 PM
Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Wow, "training video for al quaida" [sic]? Really? I get that some of you are not hunting enthusiasts, but geez.
Did you watch the right commercial? Those kids are as happy as a kid getting a new light sabre at Christmas. Except they killed something. They're expressions aren't "I succeeded at hunting". They're "Did you SEE it's head explode? Wasn't that cool! OMG!!"

But I expect reactions like yours on the SD.
  #1180  
Old 08-20-2019, 08:41 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 42,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Did you watch the right commercial? Those kids are as happy as a kid getting a new light sabre at Christmas. Except they killed something. They're expressions aren't "I succeeded at hunting". They're "Did you SEE it's head explode? Wasn't that cool! OMG!!"

But I expect reactions like yours on the SD.
So, I assume you eat meat? Someone has to kill it. At least those kids know that meat comes from living animals.


My parents sent me to the family farm in Canada when I was young, and yes, i had to milk cows- and slaughter a chicken. Gives you real appreciation of where you food comes from.

Last edited by DrDeth; 08-20-2019 at 08:44 PM.
  #1181  
Old 08-20-2019, 08:49 PM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 32,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
The most recent LifeAlert ad is borderline cruel... It's noticably louder than other commercials (isn't this practice illegal?), and features an elder lying helpless in a darkened room while the exceedingly loud voiceover goes on about how this could happen TO YOU and you could lie there in PAIN for hours or DAYS before help arrives. Look, I know old people can have hearing issues, but the entire tone of this commercial seems designed to frighten people into purchasing this product.
The company may be upping its game in response to the prevalence of cellphones, which have likely affected LifeAlert sales.

To scare the elderly even more, it's rumored the new ad will show the fallen victim beginning to decompose on the basement floor while her starving cats close in.

As for the loudness of commercials compared to the program they accompany, this has been a bad joke for years. Enforcement of this "illegal" practice is nil.
  #1182  
Old 08-20-2019, 10:20 PM
Big_Norse is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 873
Just saw two ads for Jif snack bars (Power Ups) that consist of a parent handing kid a snack bar and then staring seductively at the kid. I mute the tv during ads so I may be missing something, but hell it's creepy.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Big_Norse; 08-20-2019 at 10:21 PM.
  #1183  
Old 08-20-2019, 11:34 PM
Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
So, I assume you eat meat? Someone has to kill it. At least those kids know that meat comes from living animals.
Yes, but I don't stifle a scream and grin from ear to ear from the glee of watching the cow die. You can see the difference, right?
  #1184  
Old 08-20-2019, 11:40 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 42,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Yes, but I don't stifle a scream and grin from ear to ear from the glee of watching the cow die. You can see the difference, right?
It's a sport. Like it or not, it's very popular sport, one that pretty much pays for forests and conservation in the uSA and elsewhere.
  #1185  
Old 08-21-2019, 11:43 AM
Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
I don't know where you are, but baiting game is a huge no-no in PA. Game wardens spend plenty of time looking for violators, and fines are huge. I don't know anyone who used feed or bait to hunt.
In Texas, it's ultra common. You see, most people don't have their own woods to wander around in, so they get a deer lease, a plot of land that they can go hunt in. Well, you're limited to your leased property, so you want to ensure there are some deer around to hunt. Here come the deer feeders and deer corn.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...eer-corn-40-lb

"Sportsman's Choice Record Rack" is the brand name. One guess what sport that would be, and why it worries about the rack size (the size of the antlers).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Did you watch the right commercial? Those kids are as happy as a kid getting a new light sabre at Christmas. Except they killed something. They're expressions aren't "I succeeded at hunting". They're "Did you SEE it's head explode? Wasn't that cool! OMG!!"
I saw that commercial. Yes, those reactions are extreme "I did it, cool!". Yes, what they did was kill something. It's called hunting. You may be appalled that they celebrate killing something, but that hardly makes them terrorists in training. In fact, plenty of those hunters are as anti-terrorist as you can be. Of course, there are the white nationalists, too, and the "sovereign citizens" and many other kinds of nut jobs, but being a hunter or gun owner doesn't automatically place you in one of those groups.

Also, several of the hunters shown were bow hunters, so they're not using firearms and there's definitely no exploding heads.
  #1186  
Old 08-23-2019, 08:42 AM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,799
This Office Depot commercial where the brat is complaining that Shakespeare would have gotten more pens (or something) and that freaky guy jumps out and quavers, "Perhaps these pens would do for my lady?" In reality, the kid would have burst into tears and run away, screaming, "Bad man! Bad man!"
  #1187  
Old 08-23-2019, 09:13 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 12,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
You may be appalled that they celebrate killing something, but that hardly makes them terrorists in training.
No--it just makes them sociopaths.
  #1188  
Old 08-23-2019, 01:54 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 42,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
No--it just makes them sociopaths.

I guess then we are all sociopaths as we eat food, which had to be killed so we could consume it.
__________________
I am not a real Doctor
  #1189  
Old 08-23-2019, 02:09 PM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,496
Getting back to specific commercials, at the top of my list now is the My Secret Weapon offering from Wayfair. What the hell is up with this over-top-top, histrionic, grating annoyance of a song? Wayfair, you're selling table lamps and throw pillows. You don't need a song worthy of the announcement of the second coming. Enough already!

And don't get me started on "it ships for free". No. It doesn't. We are paying for the shipping, not you! We're not morons. Are we?
  #1190  
Old 08-23-2019, 04:26 PM
Zyada is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Foat Wuth!
Posts: 5,353
Another radio ad that's driving me nuts. For some energy provider.

"My thermostat doesn't change, my paycheck doesn't change. So why should my bill change?"

Because the freaking outside temperature changes, you moron! That affects how much energy it takes to cool (or heat) your house.

Ok, I know some people need to be able to predict what their bill is going to be, and this service is for them. But your spokesman is an idiot.
  #1191  
Old 08-23-2019, 05:15 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Yes, what they did was kill something. It's called hunting. You may be appalled that they celebrate killing something, but that hardly makes them terrorists in training
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
No--it just makes them sociopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
I guess then we are all sociopaths as we eat food, which had to be killed so we could consume it.
I don't know about you but I certainly don't celebrate the fact that my food had been killed. This isn't Milliways.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-23-2019 at 05:17 PM.
  #1192  
Old 08-23-2019, 07:52 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
The company may be upping its game in response to the prevalence of cellphones, which have likely affected LifeAlert sales.
And on top of that, some security companies have started including medical alert devices with some packages. Between increased competition and a slowly dying customer base, it makes sense that they're starting to panic.

Regarding the customer base, I guess it's the same realization that has caused adjustable bed manufacturers to suddenly start marketing their beds to thirty-somethings.
  #1193  
Old 08-24-2019, 08:31 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 85,793
[Moderating]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
No--it just makes them sociopaths.
That's quite over-the-top, and is not likely to do anything but drive this thread in Pit-worthy directions. Everyone, let's drop the hunting-as-sociopathy discussion completely.
  #1194  
Old 08-24-2019, 12:36 PM
Spud's Avatar
Spud is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 4,049
I usually tolerate commercials well but there is one that just gets under my skin. It is for some drug (does anyone really go to their doctor and decide they have a condition and know the proper drug based on a commercial?) It has a middle aged woman "directing" and marching with a band. The director is not allowed on the field and even if she was she is the most robotic and not directing director I've ever seen. And to make it worse, for some reason they are practicing/performing while there is a game going on at the same time.

The smug look as she dances backward waiving her hands just makes me cringe.
  #1195  
Old 08-24-2019, 02:23 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
I usually tolerate commercials well but there is one that just gets under my skin. It is for some drug (does anyone really go to their doctor and decide they have a condition and know the proper drug based on a commercial?) It has a middle aged woman "directing" and marching with a band. The director is not allowed on the field and even if she was she is the most robotic and not directing director I've ever seen. And to make it worse, for some reason they are practicing/performing while there is a game going on at the same time.
The marching band refused to yield when the players tried to take the field?

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-24-2019 at 02:24 PM.
  #1196  
Old 08-24-2019, 03:20 PM
cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 22,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
I usually tolerate commercials well but there is one that just gets under my skin. It is for some drug (does anyone really go to their doctor and decide they have a condition and know the proper drug based on a commercial?) It has a middle aged woman "directing" and marching with a band. The director is not allowed on the field and even if she was she is the most robotic and not directing director I've ever seen. And to make it worse, for some reason they are practicing/performing while there is a game going on at the same time.

The smug look as she dances backward waiving her hands just makes me cringe.
It's better than the Myrbetriq commercial with the overactive bladder.

https://youtu.be/EqbtMeEa7sY
  #1197  
Old 08-25-2019, 08:18 PM
Moriarty's Avatar
Moriarty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
The marching band refused to yield when the players tried to take the field?
I’m pretty sure that was the same game where the players tried for a forward pass while the joker stood on the sidelines in a cast.

It was a hell of a day, I tell you.
...
My contribution is this recent Allstate commercial where a guy is recounting for his agent that he is not messing with his discount by apparently telling a story (which is depicted, rather than discussed) of some crazed hot rod who had challenged him to a street race (which he responsibly declined) - e.g. “You want to go?” “I can’t...something about a discount on auto insurance.” “Wooooooooo!”

The thing is, this customer who is telling this story has a crazed look in his eyes and wild hair. I think he’s crazy. I think the Allstate agent on the commercial thinks that he’s crazy (she tells him, “I think you got this.”). I don’t think the hot rod story is real - he’s just delusional.

Which makes me totally confused about why I’m supposed to want this insurance. I just feel sorry for the paranoid schizophrenic who’s so worried about his insurance rate going up.
  #1198  
Old 08-25-2019, 09:18 PM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 32,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
I usually tolerate commercials well but there is one that just gets under my skin. It is for some drug (does anyone really go to their doctor and decide they have a condition and know the proper drug based on a commercial?)
I thought the whole point of prescription drug ads was to get the patient to pester their doc for the newest, most expensive drug.*

*I would consign all such ads to the deepest, rankest, hottest bowels of hell.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 08-25-2019 at 09:19 PM. Reason: wanna
  #1199  
Old 08-26-2019, 09:13 AM
amarinth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Emerald City, WA, USA
Posts: 9,948
I don't get this commercial.

I'm not a beer drinker, but every time I have had a beer, I could taste it (I don't like it, but I can certainly taste it.) It is never like I'm drinking air. What's wrong with these people?
  #1200  
Old 08-26-2019, 10:12 AM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
I don't get this commercial.

I'm not a beer drinker, but every time I have had a beer, I could taste it (I don't like it, but I can certainly taste it.) It is never like I'm drinking air. What's wrong with these people?
I think they're saying that all other beers they've tried tasted like water rather than beer.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017