Old 08-26-2019, 02:52 PM

The office manager tried to ding me on a safety violation for one of my crew.
I told him it was not a violation as I have read the safety plan and am very serious about personal safety.
His response was, "Well we are working on revising our safety plan and I want to make sure everyone is safe."
OK, so can I have a copy of the new safety plan? "Well it's still very draft so we're not releasing it yet."
So to be clear, you are trying to give me a safety violation of a policy that I'm not allowed to see?
Off to the boss to tell him what a dip-shit the office manager is and how I categorically reject this violation and it damn well better not show up on my performance evaluation!
Old 09-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

We have one specific piece workplace software that is, to me, confusing as hell.
And I don't use it every day (about once every month or so) and every time I use it, I use it for a slightly reason, so I have to do a slightly different set of steps. And while we have instructions for certain straightforward tasks, so far, none of my tasks have been straightforward - some have been close, but none entirely.
And so, it makes me feel like an idiot.
I hate feeling like an idiot.
I hate feeling frustrated.
I hate having to call the help desk every single time to figure out what I'm doing, what I've done wrong, and how to fix it.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:47 PM

Maybe it's just Monday, maybe I hate my job, see no future, and want out.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:54 AM

Rant of frustration:
I perform a specific court process for my coworkers, if they send me a referral. I process all the paperwork, coordinate with the County Attorney's Office, complete sometimes complex accounting and court order management. I manage the process until the first court order is received. What can take weeks for a person to do, I have streamlined to a few days. I can complete all the documents with my eyes closed. I have a determined process within the CA's Office that wherein my requests are expedited (granted the CA I work with can be an idiot at times, but it has improved).

One coworker had told me twice (!) that this service is stupid, our coworkers should know how to do this process, and anyways her team is so caught up and so smart, they'll never send me referrals.

Well, heifer, if your team is SO wonderful, why did one of your spectacular coworkers screw up a case so bad, management had to brought in? I know why she sent me the referral in the first place- the court order management was so messed up, I spent a few days just cleaning up the horrendous mess she and previous workers caused (multiple missing orders, incorrect charging, orders not entered...). This particular coworker sends me referrals only on messy cases. I don't really mind, as I like making cases clean, but then to completely disregard the process and create even more of a mess?
Old 09-24-2019, 05:34 PM

The AP department is at it again. They have a new ticketing system and, well, it seems to sort of work. Except that they don't seem to understand anything I ask them to do.

So the other day, I put in a ticket to block an invoice that was booked against the wrong PO. Super easy stuff, picked the invoice management -> Block invoice ticket, put in the information and explained in plain English what needed to happen. 5 day later, I get an email that say the invoice was paid, followed immediately by a ticket closure email.

That was the exact opposite of what I asked them to do. So now I get to figure out how the hell to fix this. I wrote a strongly worded email back to them, requesting they re-open the ticket because they didn't do the thing I needed them to do. I also asked my vendor very nicely to send me all the invoices they sent but I cannot figure out where this rogue invoice came from and I can't see the invoices from my end. Here's hoping I can figure this out... because this is totally my job. (it isn't)
Old 09-24-2019, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
Well, heifer, if your team is SO wonderful, why did one of your spectacular coworkers screw up a case so bad, management had to brought in? I know why she sent me the referral in the first place- the court order management was so messed up, I spent a few days just cleaning up the horrendous mess she and previous workers caused (multiple missing orders, incorrect charging, orders not entered...). This particular coworker sends me referrals only on messy cases. I don't really mind, as I like making cases clean, but then to completely disregard the process and create even more of a mess?
Make sure the time you spend in cleaning up the mess of her team is recorded & charged to her team!
Even if you can't charge it back to them, make sure your own time record has a category for 'cleaning up heifers' teams' messes' and you charge to that.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
Make sure the time you spend in cleaning up the mess of her team is recorded & charged to her team!
Even if you can't charge it back to them, make sure your own time record has a category for 'cleaning up heifers' teams' messes' and you charge to that.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Anything worth saying is worth saying twice, I guess.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@T-Bonham.net View Post
In discussing the secondary fuck ups on the case, the pre-referral fuck ups were discussed, too. Sounds like there will be a ďFrom ManagementĒ email outlining where my clean up ends. Technically, the case is supposed to be clean when sent to me, but errors happen. It is kind of nice that things Iíve been complaining about for a while are finally being addressed. Why, after 18 months of processing these referrals, management finally told my coworkers that if the case is coded mine, stop entering the court orders.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:58 AM

How long will the container full of rotting vegetables sit in the staff fridge? It’s been in there at least six weeks.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicEyes View Post
How long will the container full of rotting vegetables sit in the staff fridge? Itís been in there at least six weeks.
Kimchee.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How long will the container full of rotting vegetables sit in the staff fridge? Itís been in there at least six weeks.
Throw the whole thing into the garbage. Whoever it belonged to obviously isn't concerned with losing the container, and so they should.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Throw the whole thing into the garbage. Whoever it belonged to obviously isn't concerned with losing the container, and so they should.

If it starts to smell bad, it’s going in the trash. If I’m feeling nice, I might dump the rotten vegetables in the trash and leave the container in the sink. I’m not washing it, though. Then we’ll see how long the container stays in the sink. Probably forever.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:35 PM

My company makes cutting-edge big data analytics and machine learning software. Why am I spending hours each week manually updating budgets and forecasting staffing needs across three Excel spreadsheets, Salesforce and our time entry system?
Old 09-26-2019, 10:10 PM

It's not just Monday.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2019, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
My company makes cutting-edge big data analytics and machine learning software. Why am I spending hours each week manually updating budgets and forecasting staffing needs across three Excel spreadsheets, Salesforce and our time entry system?
Cobbler's children have no shoes?
Old 09-27-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
If it starts to smell bad, itís going in the trash. If Iím feeling nice, I might dump the rotten vegetables in the trash and leave the container in the sink. Iím not washing it, though. Then weíll see how long the container stays in the sink. Probably forever.
There's a sponge on a stick that's been in our work sink for over two years. I'm afraid to touch it.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
Kimchee.

Only if you like kimchee made from very brown celery.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

My workplace holds an annual fridge clean-out the week before the Thanksgiving potluck. Last year, the designated cleaner uncovered several unlabeled containers that had been in there so long that things were growing in them. When it became known that some of the abandoned containers were good brands (Pyrex and Pampered Chef), people were practically storming the break room hoping to scoop up some 'nice' cookware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
There's a sponge on a stick that's been in our work sink for over two years. I'm afraid to touch it.
One of the managers decided it would be a good idea to start placing bar mops at the sink in the break room, with the idea that excessively soiled ones would be placed in the designated bin under the sink for laundering. This rarely happens. I made the mistake of touching the bar mop one day; I had to wash my hands with dish detergent to get the smell to go away.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:49 AM

It’s Monday. I just got to work and found out that our IT people have made it so updates will be installed automatically. I am not happy.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Itís Monday. I just got to work and found out that our IT people have made it so updates will be installed automatically. I am not happy.
We all know this will not end well.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:27 AM

Required updates have been applied to your workstation and it will be rebooted in 10 minutes. Please save your work.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Required updates have been applied to your workstation and it will be rebooted in 10 minutes. Please save your work.
I work for a European company, in America. That means that when the IT department applies the updates, "outside of working hours" they mean outside of working hours in Europe, or maybe Bangladesh.

Whichever, it's always at about 10 AM Pacific time.

So that's when I take my coffee break. Sometimes it lasts until noon.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:04 PM

So I've recently started a new job, which is generally going OK, I think, in a chaotic sort of way. It's in a college, which means the level of paperwork is somewhat more extensive than I'm used to, and one of the tasks I've been given is keeping track of risk assessments. These are all submitted on the intranet, which has a database of all the college risk assessments (on 8 sites). There is a circle reserved in heck for the person who designed this database.

Each risk assessment has a code number. Is there a spot to search for this number? There is not. But wait, I hear you cry, you can use ctrl + f! Hah! Well, not really.

For some arcane reason, you can't get a complete list of all the various assessments, you have to search through each category separately. Almost all of the activities could come under multiple categories some, potentially, in as many as 5 different categories, but they are only listed in one. Some categories are completely empty. Many overlap. Two are identical. I have, so far, found ones for my department in 8 different categories.

Also,although I've been given the task of checking they're all up to date, the teaching staff are often (as they should be) submitting new, updated versions, as the old ones come up for review. These are given new numbers and sometimes slightly reworded new titles and are not in any way tagged to the documents they're replacing. No-one has kept records of those which have been updated since last year (which is why I'm doing it) so the numbers and exact titles are, apparently, unknown. There is often no way to find them short of scrolling through the lists, looking for similar wording.

There are entries (for 8 sites! All jumbled!) going back to 2013, and they're not displayed in chronological order.

May the person who designed this (and the person who signed off on it) accidentally vacuum up a crucial piece from their favourite board game.

Last edited by Filbert; 10-01-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
One of the managers decided it would be a good idea to start placing bar mops at the sink in the break room, with the idea that excessively soiled ones would be placed in the designated bin under the sink for laundering. This rarely happens. I made the mistake of touching the bar mop one day; I had to wash my hands with dish detergent to get the smell to go away.
That’s nasty! Not surprising, though. I’m sure most people know how to keep their houses clean, but they forget all of that when they go to work.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:02 PM

The camels back has finally broken, just filled out an application for a new job today.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
The camels back has finally broken, just filled out an application for a new job today.
Good for you! May you get a brand new camel with a strong back right away.

Keep us posted!
Old 10-16-2019, 10:29 PM

While having my own lunch alone in the break room, another coworker came to the lunch room to get her large Starbucks iced coffee that she had stashed in the fridge.

She had set her drink on a shelf and someone else had knocked her drink over, probably while putting something in or taking something out of the fridge. It was spilled all over the middle shelf, wetting several lunch containers of other coworkers, and also pooling in the bottom of the fridge below the pull out containers. (No- I wasn't the one who knocked over her drink. I told her this at the time and showed her that my lunch box was wet from her coffee drink.)

She was hopping mad about the careless coworker who knocked over her drink, but also declared that since it wasn't her fault, she was not going to clean up the mess.

It's still there- 2.5 to three weeks later.

Interestingly, the pooled coffee at the very bottom of the fridge has dried up, cracked into pieces, and now largish chunks of dry, plastic-y looking coffee pieces with the edges curled up cover the bottom of the fridge.

I've cleaned the fridges at work probably literally a hundred times or more over the last 20-25 years I've worked there but I'm just not going to do it this time.

Last edited by Ca3799; 10-16-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:33 AM

Teaching your new minions the meaning of "freelancer" before you let them loose on the databases would make sense. The good news is, if you're a freelancer you can always use "clearly has no idea" as a filter to know it's time to hang up.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:06 PM

Why is that EVERY time something is shipped to me by Fedex I get an email that says
"The estimated delivery time window for your shipment is no longer available. You will receive an update if the time window becomes available."
I hope the shipper is demanding their money back every time the package is late!
Old 10-17-2019, 04:14 PM

We scheduled a maintenance person to come today to do some work at the house, and we were given a 1-5 pm window. We had an appointment this morning and came home at 12:15 to find the maintenance guy pulling up to our front door.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

I hope you invited him in for lunch before he turned to...
Old 10-24-2019, 02:36 PM

I sent a coworker something to review two days ago. He just decided a few minutes ago that he wants something totally different, which isn’t going to happen because I already have a million other things to do today, and I’m not working tomorrow.

Someone else keeps emailing me about a project that’s stuck. I’ve already told her I don’t know when it will happen, and there’s nothing else I can do. We’ve been here before, so you’d think she would have caught on by now. I hate getting pointless time-wasting emails when I already have too much to deal with.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

This isn't really a rant; I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences stuff like this. After far too many breakdowns during seasonal temperature extremes, management finally decided it would be a good idea to hire a company to service our HVAC system. (Today, they were in checking the heat, so the building smelled like burning all morning.) Every time this service company shows up, their technicians inevitably bring ladders that are too short to reach into the drop ceilings, resulting in their techs standing on the very top of the ladders (you know, that bit that's labeled "NOT A STEP") to perform their work. Our safety manager makes a point of confronting them about it every time it happens; he's even gotten to the point of making them understand our company safety policies before they begin work, and offering the use of our company's ladders so they can work safely. I thought he was going to get into a fistfight with the technician he confronted this morning; this tech actually got into a shouting match with our safety manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca3799 View Post
It's still there- 2.5 to three weeks later.
This is why I haven't touched the office fridge in 12 years. I set my sandwich in there one morning, and found it encased in some kind of goo at lunch. XP
Old 10-24-2019, 07:06 PM

I finished training someone this morning only to find this afternoon that the first person I trained this year has been let go. No idea why.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

My office is somewhat small; the only place to park an extra chair for visitors is on the opposite side of my desk. Unfortunately, due to the pair of large monitors on my desk, this means I can't see people who sit there. Most people will either stand in the doorway or perch on the credenza; a few will grab the chair and move it to a better position. However, a surprising number will resort to practically sitting on the floor, despite my assurance that the chair can be moved (I even installed little slides on the legs so it won't snag the carpet). Is it asking too much to expect grown-ass men to move an available chair instead of wallowing on the floor?
Old 10-28-2019, 05:03 PM

There are ladybugs everywhere.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
There are ladybugs everywhere.

I left my window open today so the cats could sit in it. When I came home it was covered with ladybugs.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Waitaminute, when did the presence of ladybugs become a topic worthy of a rant in ANY context?
Old 10-28-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Waitaminute, when did the presence of ladybugs become a topic worthy of a rant in ANY context?
When there are fifteen million of them crawling on your walls and ceiling.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:34 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
I left my window open today so the cats could sit in it. When I came home it was covered with ladybugs.

The cat was covered in ladybugs? That's a mighty mellow animal!
Old 10-28-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
When they're probably not ladybugs.

Whatís the Difference Between Ladybugs and Asian Lady Beetles?
Old 10-29-2019, 12:37 AM

I was going to drop in and admit that life isn't so bad. I'm coping with the surgeries and the recurring sinus infections and that bad hangnail. The dog got turned into a chew toy by The Mastiff Of The Baskervilles at the dog park, but she got stitched up and loves the meds. The car's sounding a little funny since getting stove in by the uninsured Yakuza hitman who spoke no English, but it's drivable. And our local bodega is going to stop carrying the cashew butter that I'm addicted to and as soon as I raised my voice, the MAGA-hat-sporting Iggy Pop look-alike tased me and banned me for life.

But, really, it's not the end of... wait, what's that? A ladybug? Oh, maaaaan, now life sucks.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:32 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Ladybug or Asian ladybeetle? If it's the latter, then life sucks. If it's the former, not so bad.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:10 PM

I had to fill out a health care questionnaire so the company can get new quotes. It's an on-line system called Form Fire.

They want you to list every health issue you have ever had, along with dates and medications. Right, like I could tell the dosage of Vicodin I had when I had a kidney stone back in 1998.

Another good one is the same questions asked about every condition.
Seasonal allergies?
Do you anticipate a transplant needed for your Allergies?
Umm, no.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:11 PM

I'm wading through a similar questionnaire to teach. The huge, clunky application is web-based, and I'm having so many glitches I'm calling myself the Dr. Grant of Higher Ed.

Hard to write happy, upbeat essays on each question when you're fuming about all the time of mine they're wasting.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
I had to fill out a health care questionnaire so the company can get new quotes. It's an on-line system called Form Fire.

They want you to list every health issue you have ever had, along with dates and medications. Right, like I could tell the dosage of Vicodin I had when I had a kidney stone back in 1998.

Another good one is the same questions asked about every condition.
Seasonal allergies?
Do you anticipate a transplant needed for your Allergies?
Umm, no.
We have a similar annual questionnaire that, if completed, grants us discounted office copays. It's online, and when done it spews a bunch of "suggested lifestyle changes". It asks what you've eaten for the past week, all medical procedures in the past ten years, all meds, pretty much everything but the color of your underwear.

While it doesn't say it, if you "score" poorly, prepare for a flurry of phone calls wanting to "coach" you into better living.

Except. It cannot take into consideration of unlisted medical issues that cause you to score properly. So, for the past seven years I would be nagged with calls to improve my health. Every single call, I would request they stop calling, I was under the care of physicians, my weight and diet were side effects of my medical issues, STFU already. A week later, another call. It usually took 2-3 months of these weekly calls for them to stop... until next questionnaire time.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:46 PM

Over the past several months, my company...
...accepted an update of the computer system we use which greatly impedes the process we observed before.
...modified our phone system to a new, much more confusing option.
...modified our emails to be delivered to us, in the same program as our phone system, so that they could be more easily tracked.
...changed my workweek to three thirteen-hour days (Thursdays, Fridays, & Saturdays).

And after all that, was acquired by a larger corporation who's first words to us are "Nothing's Going To Change!"
Well, sure, because everything already DID change!
Old 10-31-2019, 03:09 AM

Thirteen hour workdays? Jeebus.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:15 AM

Depending on what exactly does the work entail and so long as it's days, it's not so bad. 3x12 worknights OTOH is enough to turn most human beings into Romero extras; the one time my shift had to work 3x12 nights, rest one, and another 3x12 we were so dead Romero would have rejected us for not looking lively enough.

The two fourth-shift foremen asked the company to change the procedure so that whenever there was a week of vacation we needed to cover we'd alternate day/night for each three-day stint (fourth shifts were the ones who worked holidays and weekends, in 12h shifts rather than the normal 8h of weekday workers). So, if there was a whole week that needed coverage one of the two shifts would work 3x12 night, rest, 3x12 day, and the other one would work 3x12 day, rest, 3x12 night.