Old 11-24-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Happy endings that aren't.

In the movies with happy endings tacked on thread, I brought up Rent, which ends with Mimi just about to die of AIDS, but is miraculously brought back* to give a big, happen ending.

Only Mimi still has AIDS. She may have survived this one bout, but she isn't likely to live to a ripe old age (given the time frame).

Another example is in Lorraine Hansbury's A Raisin in the Sun. The main plot involves a Black family about to move into a white suburb. In the final scene, the suburbanites send a representative to talk them out of it.** They tell the representative off and go to move into their new house. Good feelings all over.

Except that they're moving into a group of neighbors who don't want them there. They're likely to face some very ugly times. I actually would love to see something written about that.***

What other movies, plays, books, etc. show this.

Note: I'm not counting ("But the killer might survive!" sting to set up a sequel).

------

*Leaning heavily on a scene from Neil Gaiman's Sandman arc "A Game of You."
**Karl Lindner, played by John Fiedler. You might know him as the mousy Mr. Peterson in The Bob Newhart Show and the voice of Disney's Winnie the Pooh. Fielder also played the role in a revival. His persona is exactly the type of person that is easy to stand up to.
***Clybourn Park actually is a sequel; the first act has Lindner from Raisin going to the house to convince the seller not to sell. The second act is 50 years later, and the neighborhood had turned into the nightmares of the whites in the neighborhood, but is undergoing gentrification. But it does not cover the transition.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:36 AM

Just about anything written by Stephen King. Take your pick.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:47 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

The Collected Works of Joss Whedon. Like King, pick 'em.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Another example is in Lorraine Hansbury's A Raisin in the Sun. The main plot involves a Black family about to move into a white suburb. In the final scene, the suburbanites send a representative to talk them out of it.** They tell the representative off and go to move into their new house. Good feelings all over.

Except that they're moving into a group of neighbors who don't want them there. They're likely to face some very ugly times. I actually would love to see something written about that.
Mel Brooks did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjU03P_6nbQ

Quote:
At the end of The Prince and the Showgirl, the lovers part ways. They are both making plans to reunite later, but from the looks on their faces, they both know that it probably won't happen.

The Thing. Only MacReady and Childs are left. Maybe one of them is a Thing. Maybe not. Even if they are both still human, they are both stranded outdoors in the Antarctic.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:04 PM

In the first Kingsman movie Samuel L Jackson is trying to fight global warming by population control, basically having everyone kill each other except a select few. He tried to achieve this by giving away free phones that could be activated to make a sound to drive everyone around into hyper aggression. Right before the climax the protagonist manages to make a call to his mom to tell her to lock away her baby sister in a room and hide the key so she wouldn't harm her. During the final battle the hyper violence ring tone is shown to have been on for several minutes with scenes of fighting all over the world intercut with protagonists' mom trying to break into the room where baby sister is to kill her. They finally manage to cut it off but by that point you have to assume every single baby and small child in the entire world has been brutally murdered by their own parents. That's basically a world ending event, specially considering the mass suicides that would inevitably follow.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:24 PM

While watching Disney's Hercules I kept telling Megara to stay away from that bum, but did she listen?
Old 11-24-2019, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In the movies with happy endings tacked on thread, I brought up Rent, which ends with Mimi just about to die of AIDS, but is miraculously brought back* to give a big, happen ending.

Only Mimi still has AIDS. She may have survived this one bout, but she isn't likely to live to a ripe old age (given the time frame).

Except that they're moving into a group of neighbors who don't want them there. They're likely to face some very ugly times. I actually would love to see something written about that.***

Note: I'm not counting ("But the killer might survive!" sting to set up a sequel).

------

*Leaning heavily on a scene from Neil Gaiman's Sandman arc "A Game of You."
**Karl Lindner, played by John Fiedler. You might know him as the mousy Mr. Peterson in The Bob Newhart Show and the voice of Disney's Winnie the Pooh. Fielder also played the role in a revival. His persona is exactly the type of person that is easy to stand up to.
***Clybourn Park actually is a sequel; the first act has Lindner from Raisin going to the house to convince the seller not to sell. The second act is 50 years later, and the neighborhood had turned into the nightmares of the whites in the neighborhood, but is undergoing gentrification. But it does not cover the transition.
Piglet.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:00 PM

The Burt Reynolds black comedy The End is about a guy with a terminal disease who decides to commit suicide. Various hilarious hijinks ensue as he unsuccessfully attempts to kill himself. At the end of the film, he starts swimming out into the ocean, intending to drown. But at the last minute, he changes his mind and shouts "I want to live!" and swims back to shore. Yay, happy ending.

Uh, did the writers forget their premise? He still has a fatal disease and he's still going to die the slow painful death he was trying to avoid by suicide.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Several people have pointed out that there would have been a terrible aftermath in Avengers: Endgame.

It's still a fairly recent movie, so:

SPOILER:
In the end of Infinity War, half of the all the living creatures in the universe disappeared. In Endgame, five years had passed since then and we saw society had adjusted, albeit poorly, to the new population level. Then all of the missing people and other living things were brought back. This would have been a disaster as big as the previous disappearance.

We saw in Spiderman: Far From Home that people apparently reappeared in the same location they had disappeared from five years earlier. This means there were people who had disappeared from airplanes and ships that are no longer there when they came back. There were people who disappeared from high rise buildings that no longer exist. There were people who were reappearing in the middle of traffic. And there were people who must have reappeared in a location that was now occupied by somebody else. Or maybe just some object that have been moved into the space.

What happens to the people who survive the reappearance? Society has adjusted to serve a population that's half the size. There won't be food to feed a suddenly doubled population.

What happens with species that breed fast? Animals like mice and insects must have bred back up to their normal population in the five years since the disappearance. With the return of all the missing animals, we're going to be overrun with vermin.

On top of these immediate disasters, how will society adjust to assimilating these returning people back into a society with all of the people who didn't disappear for five years? If you disappeared, your bank accounts were closed and all your possessions was disposed of. Somebody else took over your job and moved into your home. And maybe your spouse met somebody else and has remarried.

And at least on the MCU Earth, people would understand what happened. They'd know about Thanos. But what happens on a world like the real Earth; one which is isolated from intergalactic society and doesn't know anything about events happening on other planets? All these people would know is that one day half of the world disappeared and then five years later they all came back. With no explanation. For all they know, these were natural phenomena that will be happening every few years from now on. Or the work of some angry deity, sending them a message.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:19 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Spoilers for Silver Linings Playbook.

Although it was portrayed as a happy ending, Pat and Tiffany starting a relationship gave me a feeling of foreboding and seemed to be doomed from the start. They both still have mental problems, and I couldn't help but thinking that one or both of them would be dead in six months, or at least institutionalized again.

And Pat Sr. still has his gambling problem. He's bound to lose his restaurant eventually.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:21 PM

The Nora Ephron romance movies with Meg Ryan. Not a single one of those relationships is going to work:
-When Harry Met Sally: They've known each other for years. Romance never blossomed between them for years. Nothing has changed by the end of the movie, they just got sort of desperate.

-Sleepless in Seattle: We can all agree Meg Ryan's character is a mess in this one, right? Like, medically. Tom Hanks is a sensible grown up, he's not going to bring crazy into his house.

-You've got Mail. Uh-huh, Meg, Tom Hanks declared his love to you as an actual person and you rejected him for your pen pal. You don't get to be "I hoped it was you" because you totally didn't. Which may be good news, since Tom Hanks and his weird mind games aren't a healthy way of dealing with relationship issues either.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:24 PM

'Dirty Dancing' and 'Footloose' - all those happy A-holes dance dance dancing their troubles away. And there it ends....are all those kids in the farm town going to be all that much happier now that they can have barn dances, or something? And isn't Jennifer Grey just going to go home, really, with her family? I can't imagine she would seriously stay with Patrick Swayze, give up a pampered life in Forest Hills and eventually marrying a doctor....Not that those are unhappy endings, really, just realistic. But the singing and dancing and clapping along, whee, what fun! The 'movie problem' is solved, lol, but real life will go on. The dancing kids' lives won't change for the better, the farmland will be sold to developers. Jennifer Grey will go on with her pre-ordained life always looking back wistfully to her first love. (the Catskills resort today is no doubt that abandoned one, with trees growing up through the swimming pool.)

Last edited by salinqmind; 11-24-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
In the first Kingsman movie Samuel L Jackson is trying to fight global warming by population control, basically having everyone kill each other except a select few. He tried to achieve this by giving away free phones that could be activated to make a sound to drive everyone around into hyper aggression. Right before the climax the protagonist manages to make a call to his mom to tell her to lock away her baby sister in a room and hide the key so she wouldn't harm her. During the final battle the hyper violence ring tone is shown to have been on for several minutes with scenes of fighting all over the world intercut with protagonists' mom trying to break into the room where baby sister is to kill her. They finally manage to cut it off but by that point you have to assume every single baby and small child in the entire world has been brutally murdered by their own parents. That's basically a world ending event, specially considering the mass suicides that would inevitably follow.
I hadn't thought of that - but what I think is more significant is that a very high percentage of the CEOs, presidents, kings, prime ministers and other high value people all had their heads blown off. There may not be any indispensable person, but I'd guess that things are going to be in chaos for quite a while.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Several people have pointed out that there would have been a terrible aftermath in Avengers: Endgame.
A few days back I watched a youtube comedy video dealing with terrible possible outcomes of that scenario. One that struck me as particularly horrid was
SPOILER:
the woman who had lost a baby still in the womb to the Snap. "We're sorry, the human body is not capable of standing that sort of sudden growth."

Last edited by Go_Arachnid_Laser; 11-24-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:39 PM

As far as Endgame goes I don't think it would be too bad. The person with the gauntlet has the powers of a god. You have to assume stuff like that is considered. Hulk even says "I tried everything I could to being her back" regarding Black Widow, so they are individually aware of every person.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:55 PM

The ending of The Graduate always puts me in mind of the dog who caught the speeding car. Now what?
Old 11-24-2019, 02:06 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
The ending of The Graduate always puts me in mind of the dog who caught the speeding car. Now what?
But the movie itself doesn't portray that as a happy ending. The final scene makes that exact point, that Benjamin and Elaine acted recklessly and were now regretting what they had done.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:10 PM

I didn't say the movie made any kind of different point, just that "lovers reunited" is generally considered to be a happy ending and I like the way it subverted that trope.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
But the movie itself doesn't portray that as a happy ending. The final scene makes that exact point, that Benjamin and Elaine acted recklessly and were now regretting what they had done.
I don't feel it's that simple. Ben fell in love with Elaine when he realized he felt comfortable around her, something that didn't happen to him with women, and after all the mess, that sort of easy going friendship they had going on is missing. I think that was what Mike Nichols tried to tell.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:43 PM

All possible story endings:

* HEA: Happy Ever After
* HFN: Happy For Now
* WCT: Who Can Tell?
* WRF: We're Really Fucked

Those don't necessarily include cliffhangers, spinoffs, sequels, other non-endings. Any supposedly happy (or not) end can presage something else. A mere glance into the distance can signal a following free-for-all. The only definite finales invoke pandemics, planetary explosions, etc. Even then, we can still write of ghosts.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:

He did play Jack the Ripper once (Redjac!)
Old 11-24-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

The ending of the Lord Of The Rings story is bittersweet. Yes, Sauron and Saruman were destroyed, forestalling a horrific reign of evil. But Middle Earth continues it's slide into entropy, with the last of the old magic being more or less broken up for liquidation and passed out as party favors. The Elves are gone, the Wizards are gone. Aragorn ascending the throne is really more sort of a last hurrah of Numenor than a revival.

The equivalent would be a saga about elderly former action heroes coming out of retirement just long enough to defeat one last villain before being shuffled off to an end-of-life hospice.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

There's a small genre of movies that I call anti-romantic comedies, although I recognize that this is far from the perfect name for them. In these films, you expect that the couple at the center of the movie will get together and stay together, since they seem to be right for each other. But at the end they decide that it would be best to not stay together (but not because one or both of them dies or because one or both of them turn out to be jerks or liars). It's not clear whether it's a happy ending or not. Some examples are Play It Again, Sam, Casablanca, Muriel's Wedding, My Best Friend's Wedding, Annie Hall, (500) Days of Summer, Chasing Amy, La La Land, and Shakespeare in Love.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
There's a small genre of movies that I call anti-romantic comedies, although I recognize that this is far from the perfect name for them. In these films, you expect that the couple at the center of the movie will get together and stay together, since they seem to be right for each other. But at the end they decide that it would be best to not stay together (but not because one or both of them dies or because one or both of them turn out to be jerks or liars). It's not clear whether it's a happy ending or not. Some examples are Play It Again, Sam, Casablanca, Muriel's Wedding, My Best Friend's Wedding, Annie Hall, (500) Days of Summer, Chasing Amy, La La Land, and Shakespeare in Love.
The Core
Old 11-24-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
He did play Jack the Ripper once (Redjac!)
Peterson's a twerp!
Old 11-24-2019, 04:16 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
I don't feel it's that simple. Ben fell in love with Elaine when he realized he felt comfortable around her, something that didn't happen to him with women, and after all the mess, that sort of easy going friendship they had going on is missing. I think that was what Mike Nichols tried to tell.
Do these people look happy?

If that's the story Nichols was trying to tell, why did he end it on that note?
Old 11-24-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:

No. No, they don't.

I don't know where I implied in any way they were, though.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

I hated Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and I think the ending really sunk it for me. My memory is pretty bad, but I thought the whole movie was leading to him choosing the friend, realizing that the girl he wanted was not worth it. I think it actually ends with him choosing the girl he pined after, not learning anything from his experience.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
The Burt Reynolds black comedy The End is about a guy with a terminal disease who decides to commit suicide. Various hilarious hijinks ensue as he unsuccessfully attempts to kill himself. At the end of the film, he starts swimming out into the ocean, intending to drown. But at the last minute, he changes his mind and shouts "I want to live!" and swims back to shore. Yay, happy ending.

Uh, did the writers forget their premise? He still has a fatal disease and he's still going to die the slow painful death he was trying to avoid by suicide.
I agree -- this always bothered me about that movie.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:45 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
No. No, they don't.

I don't know where I implied in any way they were, though.
Then your response to me above appears to be a non sequitur. I was speaking about the ending.

Last edited by Colibri; 11-24-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Then your response to me above appears to be a non sequitur. I was speaking about the ending.
So was I?
Old 11-24-2019, 04:59 PM

Dorothy goes home (like which there is no place). Happy. Then Miss Gulch shows up, and this time Toto ain't getting away.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I hated Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and I think the ending really sunk it for me. My memory is pretty bad, but I thought the whole movie was leading to him choosing the friend, realizing that the girl he wanted was not worth it. I think it actually ends with him choosing the girl he pined after, not learning anything from his experience.
Scott was kind of a shitty person though, even Ramona told him he was just an evil ex boyfriend waiting to happen. He shouldn't end up with the friend or the highschool girl because he was shitty to both of them and they are better off without him.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchie View Post
Dorothy goes home (like which there is no place). Happy. Then Miss Gulch shows up, and this time Toto ain't getting away.
And she ends up in a mental institution getting electroshock treatment.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I disagree. I've seen the alternate ending where it ends with Scott getting together with Knives but I think it's weaker than the one where he gets together with Ramona.

The Knives ending essentially reduces Ramona to a supporting role in Scott's story; she's now just there to move him along far enough so he can get together with Knives. And Knives doesn't fill the void that this reduction of Ramona's role creates; Knives has been too passive in the story to stand as Scott's equal in the development of the story. This makes the movie pretty much all about Scott and everyone becomes defined by their relationship with him.

But the Ramona ending makes the movie a story about Scott and Ramona. It becomes a story about two people getting together rather than one person finding a girlfriend. Ramona's role is no longer just to develop Scott. She becomes a main character and the changes she goes through are as important to the story as the changes Scott goes through.

I feel that both Scott and Ramona had learned from what they had experienced in the movie and had become better people. So it was fitting that neither of them went back into the roles they had inhabited at the start of the movie. They had both moved on.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchie View Post
Gulch is dead - she's riding a bike in a tornado, after all...
Old 11-24-2019, 07:50 PM

Since it's Thanksgiving I'll bring up the orignal Dawn of the Dead. The mall is overrun by zombies in the end and Fran & Peter are the only survivors. Peter is about to commit suicide, but at the last moment changes his mind and joins Fran on the roof where they both escape in the helicopter. Except civilization has collapsed by this point, they have nowhere to go, Fran is heavily pregnant, and the helicopter is almost out of fuel. Sure, there's a faint hope that they luck out off screen, but it's really not that much of an improvement over the original ending. Romero's originally plan was for Peter to shoot himself in the head and Fran to give up at last moment and shove her head into the helicopter blades. I know the Living Dead films are ambiguous over whether they're direct sequels (because of being made so far apart), but when I first saw Land of the Dead I kept looking for a crashed WGON helicopter.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Isn't that the same ending as 'The Heartbreak Kid' with Charles Grodin? Idiot Cybill Shepherd married idiot Charles Grodin to spite her daddy....now what?

Last edited by salinqmind; 11-24-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:47 PM

School Days with a Pig is a prime example of why I love Asian movies. Especially those that would never be touched by Hollywood.

The story (based on a novel inspired by a real-life event) is that a 3rd grade teacher in Japan decides to teach his class where their meat comes from. He brings a pig for the class to raise with the understanding that at the end of the year, they'll send it off for processing. Everyone in the school naturally falls in love the the pig and the teacher allows his class to debate the faith of their pet. BTW, the acting by all the children is exceptional!

Yep, this isn't Babe, the kids decide to send the pig off!

I can't find the article right now, but the real event ended the same way.

Last edited by lingyi; 11-24-2019 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

What about Casablanca? Rick doesn't get the girl, and is heading into the unknown in a world blazing with war. Somehow, I don't think that's a happy ending.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
What about Casablanca? Rick doesn't get the girl, and is heading into the unknown in a world blazing with war. Somehow, I don't think that's a happy ending.
I don't know if happy is the word for the ending, but it's a good ending, a very positive ending.

He doesn't get the girl, but he understands why she didn't show up to leave Paris with him. He's been a lost soul ever since, having never gotten over her seeming betrayal of him. Now that he knows what really happened, he has closure on that, and can move forward.

And he doesn't get executed, or killed on the spot for that matter, for gunning down Major Strasser so that Laszlo and Ilsa can escape. He makes a hero's sacrifice - and then doesn't have to sacrifice himself after all. Bonus!
Old 11-25-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Isn't that the same ending as 'The Heartbreak Kid' with Charles Grodin? Idiot Cybill Shepherd married idiot Charles Grodin to spite her daddy....now what?
Nah, very different endings really.

In Heartbreak Kid (which I'd be perfectly happy to have not seen), you've got a resolution, more or less, in their having gotten married. They're still two superficial idiots, but they've got at least a short stretch of happiness ahead. (And probably at most, too.)

In The Graduate, there's not even the pretense of a resolution. Ben's rescued Elaine from what would have surely been a horrible marriage, but now, per Tom Petty, "the future was wide open" - and they haven't the faintest clue what to do next. They probably don't even have any idea of where they should get off the bus or what they're going to do next when they get off it, let alone whether they have any future together. They're allied against the people trying to push them down paths they don't want, but that's as far as it really goes, and they have no direction of their own.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Nah, very different endings really.

In Heartbreak Kid (which I'd be perfectly happy to have not seen), you've got a resolution, more or less, in their having gotten married. They're still two superficial idiots, but they've got at least a short stretch of happiness ahead. (And probably at most, too.)
Yes, but in the original version, the final shot of Lennie (at his wedding) parallels that of Ben and Elaine in The Graduate. Lennie is definitely not satisfied with how events turned out; he has a "what have I done?" look on his face.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The silent film Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) is about a man who first cheats on his wife, then tries unsuccessfully to murder her. Later he tries to kill the Other Woman for putting him up to it. In the end he decides to let them both live, and appears not to be in any danger of being arrested on two counts of attempted murder. This is played as a happy ending. Of course the wife is still stuck with a man who almost murdered her and another person. I can't see that being a happy outcome.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:27 PM

This probably doesn't count, but WTF?? with the ending of Kelly's Hero's?

Sure, they got the gold, but how the hell are they going to get it off the Continent? And Oddball, driving around in a Tiger Tank? He's gonna get 'friendly-fired'. Those Germans aren't gonna last too long, either. And what about that one Loud-mouthed angry guy who gets screwed out of his share? Do you really think he'd keep quiet about this? He'd ruin it everybody just out of spite.

One of many stupid things I think about. An, hell. I guess it wasn't a Documentary, or anything.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:33 PM

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind ends with Joel and Clementine learning they both had the other erased from their minds, but deciding that they were destined to be together and it must be true love. Except all the reasons they didn't work together the first time still exist, and it will be a matter of weeks before they are driving each other crazy again.

This one is a gray area, because I think the director purposely showed that it was not a happy ending with the looped scene at the end, but a lot of people still saw it as "love conquers all."
Old 11-25-2019, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

I know it's really supposed to be a happy ending, but the end (like so many things about it) of Silent Running really annoys me.

So Bruce Dern -- a plant-loving caretaker, fer cryin' out loud -- finally figures out that the plants are dying because they're not getting enough sunlight, this far out from the sun (duh!). He blows up the Valley Forge, along with himself and the damaged Drone, leaving the last surviving Drone to care for the plants. Presumably, the Earth people searching for them will think everything perished in the explosion, and won't go looking for the remaining dome.

Only -- what's the power source for those lights he put up in the dome? Won't that run out soon? (It can't be coming from solar panels -- if you had that much light energy, you wouldn't need the lamps!) For that matter, where's the energy for the Drone coming from? And won't it get awfully cold in the dome without much solar energy to heat it?

Any way I look at it, unless there's a Magic Power Source in that dome (like a Nuclear Reactor or something), it's gonna get dark and cold in there soon, and all those plants will die.

we'll mercifully pass over howcum the dome has Magical Gravity. Or what the hell everyone left on Earth is breathing in the absence of plants to recycle the carbon dioxide.

Another science fiction film: Things to Come, written by H.G. Wells himself

At the end of the film, the idealistic young couple goes off in their space capsule, fired by the space Gun. Raymond Massey gives a syirring speech about how they're fulfilling the Destiny of Man, exploring the cosmos.

Except...

They got no way to turn around and come home. Even if they don't plan on doing that, unless they have a Magic Power source and a huge stock of supplies and oxygen, they're going to get cold and dark and suffocate like Silent Running's plants when their power gives out and the septic tank gets full.

It bothers me, too, that Wells, who used "anti-gravity" to get to the moon in his novel First Men in the Moon rather than have his crew smashed into jelly by the acceleration of Jules Verne's Space Cannon (in From the Earth to the Moon) nevertheless used Verne's unworkable solution in his own movie. People who live in Cavorite spaceships should throw stones.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

The most quasi-happy ending in SF movies has to be The Incredible Shrinking Man. Basically, he keeps on shrinking, and the film ends with his voice-over giving an impassioned speech about how "there's no zero in god's universe", and his becoming one with the cosmos, or something. But I still got the feeling that he ended up being eaten by a paramecium, eventually, or something.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:37 PM

School of Rock, the weird agile fat guy who was kicked out of own band impersonates a teacher and then realizes his class has musical talent. So instead of teaching them according to the lesson plan, he spends all class period secretly teaching them how to rock, enlists some of the kids as lookouts, and tells the class not to tell their parents (big red flag there.) Then to top it all off he takes them all on an unsanctioned trip to the Battle of the Bands, where the parents see their kids rock on stage and are somehow impressed by it and everything is forgiven. So instead of the job-stealing kidnapping weird guy going to jail, he is able to start a "School of Rock" music school and tutor their kids after school and all is well.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
School of Rock, the weird agile fat guy who was kicked out of own band impersonates a teacher and then realizes his class has musical talent. So instead of teaching them according to the lesson plan, he spends all class period secretly teaching them how to rock, enlists some of the kids as lookouts, and tells the class not to tell their parents (big red flag there.) Then to top it all off he takes them all on an unsanctioned trip to the Battle of the Bands, where the parents see their kids rock on stage and are somehow impressed by it and everything is forgiven. So instead of the job-stealing kidnapping weird guy going to jail, he is able to start a "School of Rock" music school and tutor their kids after school and all is well.
I don't see how that fits the topic. It's still a happy ending.