Old 06-19-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Raab is very popular with MPs.
Evidently not.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
If he plays it right, Stewart could be very well placed to become a more moderate leader, if and when Brexit destroys Johnson’s administration. That very well may be his game plan.
I don't think he's planned it out that intricately, and in today's unstable political climate I'm not sure it's worth it to do so. All he needs to do is to position himself as the Anti-Boris - the toadies who want a spot in Boris' cabinet will gravitate that way, but Stewart is aiming to grab support from those who dislike Boris and everything he stands for. The question is whether the party as a whole is pro- or anti-Boris, and I fear Stewart may be out of luck in the short term. It may still play out to his advantage but I'm not sure I'd call it a plan.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:15 AM
SDSAB

Fascinating for me as a political junkie to watch this process unfold. Horrifying for me as an Anglophile, though.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:16 PM

Stewart’s out. This is now a lot less interesting. Johnson’s so far ahead of everyone else I expect this won’t even get to the membership vote.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

OB
Old 06-19-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Stewart’s out.
Steward is now well-positioned to lead a new centrist party when the Tories finally self-destruct.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
Steward is now well-positioned to lead a new centrist party when the Tories finally self-destruct.
I think we have quite enough centrist parties in the UK already, none with a great deal of traction.

ETA: Unfortunately.

OB

Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 06-19-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:29 PM

What the heck- can't the Brits see what happens when you put a loud, boorish, lying blond in power? Everybody hates the guy, let's make him PM!
Old 06-19-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I’ve got to admit, this tweet from Sajid Javid is heartwarming. Handwritten letter from his daughter about the Conservative party leadership race.

https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/statu...877558784?s=21
Old 06-19-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I’ve got to admit, this tweet from Sajid Javid is heartwarming. Handwritten letter from his daughter about the Conservative party leadership race.

https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/statu...877558784?s=21
Yeah, I'm not a Javid fan but as the father of a daughter of similar age I am feeling the warm fuzzies here.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
I don't know what his future holds, but he's an interesting character. With his background - and his reported ability to master a brief while doing his DFID duties - he'd probably make a good Foreign Secretary and that's something the next PM is going to need very badly indeed. I do get the impression that he has begun to develop his own politics, and that's no bad thing.

Anyway, here's a Rory Stewart anecdote from a former Parliamentary researcher who was based in the next-door office a few years ago:

https://twitter.com/CharLeach24x/sta...15892938629120

Quote:
Councillor Charlotte Leach @CharLeach24x

He’s not an MP I know particularly well but I do have a great story from when I worked in Parliament for @SeemaKennedy. Our office was next door to Rory’s on the 5th floor in Norman Shaw North.

One evening I was working late in the office on my own. There was a knock on the door & it was @RoryStewartUK who told me that he had locked himself out of his office and and asked if he could use our office for a meeting.

I said it was no problem but before I had a chance to say anything else he walked straight across the office and climbed out of the 5th floor window and disappeared.

At this point I panicked thinking that surely he must have fallen and what if people thought I had pushed him 😂

Then, before I know it he comes walking back into my office through the main door, picks up his stuff and leaves. He had somehow managed to scale the side of the building and break into his office through the window.

I have honestly never been more shocked in my life. Looking out of the window there was essentially nothing to hold onto so to this day I have no idea how he managed to do it but I was suitably impressed! #RoryWalksOn
Rory Stewart denies ever having been in any way connected to the Secret Intelligence Service.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Stewart’s out. This is now a lot less interesting. Johnson’s so far ahead of everyone else I expect this won’t even get to the membership vote.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

OB
Johnson is only getting 40% of the vote. He could lose if someone benefits from an "Anybody but Johnson" movement.

I think Johnson will win, however. He's rabid about Brexit and has more charisma than Gove. Would that be a good thing for the UK? Probably not, but then again, voting for Brexit probably wasn't good for the UK either.

At least he's realistic about one thing: they can't keep delaying Brexit. They already voted to separate, and if the only way to do that is no deal, they'll have to do it.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
Rory Stewart denies ever having been in any way connected to the Secret Intelligence Service.
Sounds like he'd be great as the next James Bond.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:17 PM

I just noticed, Rory Stewart kind of looks like what would happen if you morphed all the faces of the members of the Rolling Stones together.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
Johnson is only getting 40% of the vote. He could lose if someone benefits from an "Anybody but Johnson" movement.
It doesn't matter. The Tory MPs only winnow the candidates to the final two, and then the Tory membership gets to vote - and they seem to love the utter charlatan. Barring a "live boy or dead girl" scenario* happening in the next few weeks the clown is the next PM. It's going to feel weird hearkening back to the Golden Age of Theresa May's reign.

* And even then the ranks of the undead that forms the Tory membership would probably still vote for him
Old 06-20-2019, 02:24 AM

Good graphic of the evolution of the Conservative Party.

From an excellent article in the New Statesman, The closing of the conservative mind
Old 06-20-2019, 04:04 AM

Quote:
I think Johnson will win, however. He's rabid about Brexit and has more charisma than Gove.
Man, that's a low bar to clear. Might as well point out that he's taller than Peter Dinklage and a better sprinter than Stephen Hawking.

That said, this may make you throw up in your mouth a little: Girls4Gove.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:43 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
...That said, this may make you throw up in your mouth a little: Girls4Gove.
Thanks. I'm not big into trigger warnings, but if ever one was needed....
Old 06-20-2019, 10:09 AM

Michael Gove always gives me the impression that he's a boy made out of wood that's been give the power of life. So a bit like Pinnochio, but without the growing nose feature.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:17 PM

Well, he's out, so it may be a little unfair to be piling in on him, but he always reminded me of Pob.

So as many predicted it's down to Hunt vs. Johnson. While we're at it, let's be really puerile and remark on Hunt's over-vigorous wrist action at the time of the London Olympics. You may make up your own jokes about "end" and "bell".
Old 06-21-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickLondon View Post
Well, he's out, so it may be a little unfair to be piling in on him, but he always reminded me of Pob.
It is never unfair to pile on Michael Gove.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
You can't unsee this image of Gove jogging.

Warning: This photo may be upsetting to people of a sensitive disposition.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...on-earth#img-2

(Those poor kids must be scarred for life.)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is that Hunt, though?
Old 06-21-2019, 02:05 PM

Hard to tell if this'll come to anything, but Johnson's personal life is a bit of a ticking timebomb for him.

Police called to loud altercation at Boris Johnson's home

Will The Guardian release the recording? If they do, will it make any difference? Who knows these days, frankly.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
Hard to tell if this'll come to anything, but Johnson's personal life is a bit of a ticking timebomb for him.

Police called to loud altercation at Boris Johnson's home

Will The Guardian release the recording? If they do, will it make any difference? Who knows these days, frankly.
I doubt if it would make any difference to Tory members, whether as reported speech or in a live recording. It doesn't tell us much more about Johnson's private life and character than is already widely known. True, it doesn't say much for his negotiating skills, but will Tory members think throwing an EastEnders tantrum is the way to deal with the EU? Though if I were the Downing Street cat, I might be looking for a bolthole just in case.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:49 PM

Why would anyone want to preside over this slow-moving disaster? I picture the Titanic heading straight towards an iceberg and not even trying to steer away.
Old Yesterday, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Why would anyone want to preside over this slow-moving disaster? I picture the Titanic heading straight towards an iceberg and not even trying to steer away.
By sheer force of personality and negotiating skill the iceberg will be persuaded to melt in time. Because we are special and it owes us. Or computers can work it all out. Or something (I'm not entirely confident I've quite understood the mindset of a Tory Brexiteer, except I'm pretty sure that they don't seem to have grasped the difference between a political agreement and a legally justiciable one).
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Boris will blame the disaster on others: the EU, Remainers, the Labour party, the Irish government, Theresa May...