Old 04-30-2019, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

I’m not so sure, those Christian Republicans seem to have a predilection for forgiveness. Y’know, when it’s another Christian Republican.

I’m pretty sure she could reclaim any lost ground simply by saying she’s had a talk with God and she’s been forgiven, and reborn, faith renewed! I bet she spews a lot of bible quotes about loving one’s child, as her defense.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Not everyone is a Christian Republican.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I think the implication is that most of her fan base is.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Sorry, Lori - even if the courts find you innocent you've already been tried in the court of public opinion and found guilty, or at least clueless. At present your reputation is mud and it's most likely going to stay that way.
I doubt it. It's a non-violent white collar crime. People can tsk tsk at her but it's not as though the typical Hallmark Channel viewer had their kid lose a place at USC because of her. She's an attractive white woman with a history of acting in squeaky clean roles and people want to project being a "good person" on her. If she's found guilty, she'll act contrite and get a gig designing purses or jewelry to get her face on television again and start landing roles before you know it. Tons of celebrities have rehabbed themselves for far worse stuff.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Also, lets not look at the maximum sentence. In my jurisidtion, criminal damage has a max sentence of 14 years. Someone who has been arrested for spray painting? First offence, most likely a (small) fine. No way am I going to tell her the maximum sentence.
You had me until this one. Why wouldn't you tell her the maximum sentence, but preface it with what you said here. Say, "Look, the maximum sentence for this crime is 14 years, but typically for the first offense, it is a small fine. It is unlikely in the extreme that you would get anywhere near 14 years, or indeed any jail time at all, but that is what the book says, so I felt I needed to inform you of that."?
Old 04-30-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Iím not so sure, those Christian Republicans seem to have a predilection for forgiveness. Yíknow, when itís another Christian Republican.

Iím pretty sure she could reclaim any lost ground simply by saying sheís had a talk with God and sheís been forgiven, and reborn, faith renewed! I bet she spews a lot of bible quotes about loving oneís child, as her defense.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
I think the implication is that most of her fan base is.
More significantly, the Christian Republican community has its own sort of ecosystem, which is capable of granting people a certain status that allows them to make a living even after violating the laws of secular society.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I doubt it. It's a non-violent white collar crime. People can tsk tsk at her but it's not as though the typical Hallmark Channel viewer had their kid lose a place at USC because of her. She's an attractive white woman with a history of acting in squeaky clean roles and people want to project being a "good person" on her. If she's found guilty, she'll act contrite and get a gig designing purses or jewelry to get her face on television again and start landing roles before you know it. Tons of celebrities have rehabbed themselves for far worse stuff.
Yup, if anything this will improve her marketability. Look at Martha Stewart, she was not hurt at all by her stint at Club Fed.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:14 PM

This has always sounded like a typical "I have a friend of a friend that can help" situations.

Somebody probably told Lori that a friends child with low SAT scores had gotten into USC. Lori naturally asks how? She's put in touch with someone and told some vague details. Bottom line, make a payment and it will happen. Both kids enroll at USC and life goes on.

I understand she broke the law. This was not a crime demanding a prison sentence. Far from it. Imho.

She was a consumer of an illegal operation. She didn't plan or plot anything.

Think of a drug transaction. The buyer at most, gets busted for possession of the drug bought. The serious charges go against the chain of people that made it available for sale.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-01-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
This has always sounded like a typical "I have a friend of a friend that can help" situations.

Somebody probably told Lori that a friends child with low SAT scores had gotten into USC. Lori naturally asks how? She's put in touch with someone and told some vague details. Bottom line, make a payment and it will happen. Both kids enroll at USC and life goes on.

I understand she broke the law. This was not a crime demanding a prison sentence. Far from it. Imho.

She was a consumer of an illegal operation. She didn't plan or plot anything.

Think of a drug transaction. The buyer at most, gets busted for possession of the drug bought. The serious charges go against the chain of people that made it available for sale.
I assume you haven't been following the story very closely, have you?

From here

Quote:
CW-1: If you everĖ ever were to say anything.

LOUGHLIN: So weĖ so we justĖ so we just have to say we made a donation to your foundation and thatís it, end of story.

CW-1: That is correct.

LOUGHLIN: Okay.

CW-1: Terrific.

LOUGHLIN: Okay.

CW-1: I just wanted to make sure I touched base because I didnít want youĖ

LOUGHLIN: Yeah.

CW-1: Ėto all of a sudden whatĖ like whatís this call coming from.

LOUGHLIN: Okay, yeah. Okay. Totally. All right. SoĖ so thatís it. So itísĖ itís the IRS. Itís not anyone from USC, itís the IRS.
That's the tax fraud part. Not a big deal?

Someone else:

Quote:
William McGlashan, Jr., senior executive at a private equity firm in California, discussed creating a fake sports profile for his son

CW-1: I have to do a profile for him in a sport, which is fine, Iíll create it. You know, I just need him-- Iíll pick a sport and weíll do a picture of him, or he can, weíll put his face on the picture whatever. Just so that he plays whatever. Iíve already done that a million times. So--

McGLASHAN: Well, we have images of him in lacrosse. I donít know if that matters.

CW-1: They donít have a lacrosse team. But as long as I can see him doing something, that would be fine.

McGLASHAN: Yup.
These are not just people buying drugs from an undercover narc. They were in the lab or the field helping to create the drugs.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:07 PM

I haven't seen the leaked wiretap transcripts. That does make it worse.

I don't understand the tax fraud claim?

Lori says it's a payment to this guys foundation. Then says it's to the IRS. That's just a cover story for the payment? In case she's asked?

I don't see a tax crime unless they stupidly claimed a tax deduction for this payment to a foundation? Is she did that... OMG she's totally screwed.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-01-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I haven't seen the leaked wiretap transcripts. That does make it worse.

I don't understand the tax fraud claim?

Lori says it's a payment to this guys foundation. Then says it's to the IRS. That's just a cover story for the payment? In case she's asked?

I don't see a tax crime unless they stupidly claimed a tax deduction for this payment to a foundation? Is she did that... OMG she's totally screwed.
She took a tax write off for 'donating' $500,000 to Singer's Key Foundation, which was a non profit, that claimed it's mission was helping underserved children get into college. So yeah, she's screwed.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:19 PM

This is a bigger case than I realized. Thanks
Old 05-01-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gay View Post
She took a tax write off for 'donating' $500,000 to Singer's Key Foundation, which was a non profit, that claimed it's mission was helping underserved children get into college. So yeah, she's screwed.
Why hasn't she been charged with that then?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gay View Post
She took a tax write off for 'donating' $500,000 to Singer's Key Foundation, which was a non profit, that claimed its mission was helping underserved children get into college.
She misread their mission statement. It actually says the Key Foundation is for hleping undeserved kids into college.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:23 PM

Sorry! I already did that joke better.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Sorry! I already did that joke better.
Sorry back atcha, I was just skimming down the page and misread the name myself.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:46 PM

$500,000 is nickel and dime stuff:
Quote:
From the day in March that prosecutors announced charges against 50 people in a sweeping college admissions fraud investigation, they have held out a tantalizing mystery: an unnamed family that they said had paid the college consultant at the center of the scheme $6.5 million — far more than any of the parents named in the case — to get their child into college.

The student is Yusi Zhao, who was admitted to Stanford in 2017, according to a person with direct knowledge of the investigation. Neither she nor her parents, who live in Beijing, have been charged, and it is unclear whether they are currently being investigated. Stanford rescinded Ms. Zhao’s admission in April, and she is no longer a student there.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/u...niversity.html
Old 05-01-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Why hasn't she been charged with that then?
According to the legal experts who have been commenting on the case, the feds have a process. First they charged her with fraud, then 30 days after she rejected the plea bargain, they added additional charges of money laundering, then apparently she (& others who have rejected the plea) will be charged with tax fraud and 'other charges'.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
It appears that parents in the LA area who have dealt with Singer are now sweating bricks about when they will be charged. High price lawyers there are doing quite well.
It appears that some parents there who did not cheat are enjoying this quite a bit.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Regarding the parents who paid $6.5 million to get their daughter into Stanford, would a straight, open donation of that much be enough to get her admitted? And if the answer is no, surely there are plenty of schools that would happily take that much for a guaranteed admission.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Sorry, Lori - even if the courts find you innocent you've already been tried in the court of public opinion and found guilty, or at least clueless. At present your reputation is mud and it's most likely going to stay that way.
Clueless describes what I think of most Hollywood names. Most of them, especially the ones in front of the camera, don't come across as bright at all.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Regarding the parents who paid $6.5 million to get their daughter into Stanford, would a straight, open donation of that much be enough to get her admitted? And if the answer is no, surely there are plenty of schools that would happily take that much for a guaranteed admission.
I may be in the minority, but I don't really have an objection if someone donates a significant amount to a university and gets (some) preference for admission. At least the institution is getting something that may contribute to its betterment, and could possibly help ensure that other students get financial aid.

The problem with this case is that an unauthorized intermediary, whether an employee of the university or not, is the party to get all the benefits. The university basically got scammed here, along with the parents of other more deserving applicants.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
$6 million is chickenfeed to a place like Stanford. The buildings in the Engineering area have names like Gates and Allen on them.

Hell, at my MIT reunion the reunion classes together donated something like $30 million - and there are a lot fewer of us.
We got cake.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
$6 million is chickenfeed to a place like Stanford. The buildings in the Engineering area have names like Gates and Allen on them.
Funny coincidence:
Quote:
The Gates Computer Science Building, or Gates building for short, is an L-shaped building that houses the Computer Science Department as well as the Computer Systems Laboratory at 353 Serra Mall, Stanford University, California.[1] Construction on the building began in 1994 and was completed in 1996 at a cost of $36 million. It was named after Microsoft founder Bill Gates, who donated $6 million for the building's construction.
$6M is not chicken feed even if a few billionaires occasionally give way more for specific projects.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
In the media reports that I've seen, Singer, the guy at the heart of this, would tell parents that their children could get admission through multi-multi million dollar donations. But he could do it much cheaper by bribing and test cheating.

I'm skeptical though. That may have simply been his sales pitch.

I knew a professor/administrator at Duke who said that a wealthy individual had called the University and basically asked how much to donate to secure admission for his academically average son. My professor said that the University told him that it couldn't be done.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

IOW, he wasn't wealthy enough.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Or rather, having asked it outright, he blew it.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
A key point, however, is that these people didn't just want "any school." They want specific schools--or, at least, a specific tier of school.

I've seen real college advisers talk about this (maybe it was linked here? Too lazy to check every link in this thread). They'd tell the parents what the kid could realistically get, including with donations. The parents would often get incensed that they couldn't just buy their way into the exact schools they wanted.

And then this guy comes along and says he can, if they don't care about him fudging the law "a bit."
Old 05-03-2019, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Funny coincidence:

$6M is not chicken feed even if a few billionaires occasionally give way more for specific projects.
I don't know what the going rate is today, but I bought my house across the Bay from Stanford at that exact time, and it is worth over 4x what I paid for it now.
I don't know the details, but I wouldn't be surprised if Stanford wanted the building and Gates offered the biggest chunk to get his name on. And a Gates building is high prestige. Not so much for a guy whose money comes from Chines remedies and supplements.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:57 PM

Uh huh. I just looked at Stanford's website. They say they got $1.13B from 76,000 donors in 2017-2018 making an average of about $15k/donation. Do you really want to defend that a $6M donation is "chicken feed"?
Old 05-03-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Stanford Students admit it was pretty obvious billionaire's dog didn't get in by itself
Old 09-13-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

ms Huffman will spend 14 days in prizon, with 1 year propation, 30 thousand dollar fine, and 250 hours of community service.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocking chair View Post
ms Huffman will spend 14 days in prizon, with 1 year propation, 30 thousand dollar fine, and 250 hours of community service.
I think thatís reasonable, especially the community service.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:27 PM

If Felicity Huffman was black, poor or both, how many years in prison do you think she would have gotten for a similar felony?
Old 09-13-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Liam View Post
If Felicity Huffman was black, poor or both, how many years in prison do you think she would have gotten for a similar felony?
I agree that race and class are huge factors in the American criminal justice system. I don't, however, believe any first offender would have received a harsher sentence than this. (and certainly not a $30,000 fine)
Old 09-16-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I agree that race and class are huge factors in the American criminal justice system. I don't, however, believe any first offender would have received a harsher sentence than this. (and certainly not a $30,000 fine)
Wanna bet?
Old 09-16-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Wow. Black woman, at times homeless, gets 5 years in prison for enrolling her 5-year-old in a school district using the babysitterís address.

Wow.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I mean, really, Procrustus, talk about leading with your chin! Dude, this is America, where the system is literally built on taking advantage of, and punishing people for being, poor minorities.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I mean, really, Procrustus, talk about leading with your chin! Dude, this is America, where the system is literally built on taking advantage of, and punishing people for being, poor minorities.
I do know that. (I was a public defender for 5 years). Thatís an outrageous story. I stand corrected.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Wow. Black woman, at times homeless, gets 5 years in prison for enrolling her 5-year-old in a school district using the babysitterís address.

Wow.
I think the sentence was partly due to her previous drug offences, but it should never have been a charge that leads to prison in the first place. (That might well be true of her drug offences too, but that's a different discussion).

It's one of those occasions where I wonder what the fuck the judge was thinking. Homeless woman, five year old child, babysitter's address (so not even random! It was a place that was as much of a home as the truck they were living in) and he hands down five years. At least a couple of years without her kids, for the crime of getting her kid into a school.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:32 PM

True.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:09 AM

Another parent in the scandal sentenced:
Quote:
Business executive Devin Sloane became the second parent sentenced for his role in the widespread college admissions scandal when a judge gave him four months in prison on Tuesday for paying a $250,000 bribe to get his son into the University of Southern California.

The Los Angeles executive pleaded guilty in May to fraud and conspiracy in a plea deal with prosecutors after authorities said he faked documents and even staged photos in the family's swimming pool to make his son look like a water polo star, even though he never played the sport...

Sloane also received 500 hours of community service and a fine of $95,000.
https://www.aol.com/article/entertai...hlin/23819866/

The fine ($95,000) should have been at least as big as the bribe he paid ($250,000).

Last edited by PastTense; 09-26-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
A wealthy California vintner was sentenced Friday to five months in prison for paying tens of thousands of dollars to artificially boost his daughter’s SAT scores and to try to get her recruited as a water polo player at the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said. The sentence for Agustin Francisco Huneeus, 53, of San Francisco is the longest jail term yet for anyone in the massive college admissions cheating scandal...

Huneeus is the fifth parent to be sentenced in the cheating scheme. The former head of Huneeus vineyard in California's Napa Valley, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud in May. Prosecutors sought a sentence of 15 months for Huneeus, but U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani in Boston sentenced him to five months, 500 hours of community service and two years of supervised release. He will also have to pay a $100,000 fine.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...sions-n1062776
Old 10-05-2019, 08:36 PM

A five-month timeout seems a just punishment.
Do you know a child in need?