Old 09-15-2019, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

People don't like my pics

I have a few pics on imgur. I don't post a lot of pics anymore, so I've only just noticed that I can see how many upvotes, downvotes, comments, and views there are. I'm surprised by the number of downvotes. There's a photo of my dad's Vulcain Cricket watch. 95 views, 2 upvotes, and 5 downvotes. There's a photo of the 911SC I used to have. 131 views, 1 upvote, 3 downvotes. Four people upvoted the photo of the blue, metric socket set I repainted, and four downvoted it. For the green SAE one, one person upvoted it and three people downvoted it. Seriously: Who downvotes a picture of a socket set? Three people downvoted a picture of our new cat, Goo; and two downvoted my panorama of a moving Goo experiment. Tonka and Goo sleeping together was downvoted twice. Who the hell downvotes kitty pictures? Sick and twisted individuals, most likely.

I can understand why there are 16 downvotes for the meme of Hitler complaining about the D-Day invasion ('They came charging in without a permit and were very violent'), but cats? Tool boxes? A watch?

Coldfire suggested I pissed some people off, so they're voting down anything I post. It must be boring in their basements.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:21 PM

It's possible you've got somebody spite-downvoting you (I had one of those, briefly), but it might also be the vagaries of Usersub - your posts aren't interesting to them, so they downvote, instead of ignoring. (Just be glad you've never posted anything that could be mistaken for a selfie!)

If you're not posting them specifically to share with the IMGUR community, I'd just post them privately and skip the voting.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:28 PM

Ah, don't worry about it. Those peeps don't know you. I get songs sent to me, so I listen and often put a upvote, and save it to a play list. If I don't like it, I just quit listening. I never down vote. It's pointless.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:33 PM

I am often surprised by the number of down votes on YouTube videos I watch. Even a nice video showing a craftsman making a cool something or other. Very few have less then 20% down votes. And yet the comments are nearly all favorable. Hard to figure out.

Dennis
Old 09-15-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Ah, don't worry about it. Those peeps don't know you.
Yeah, I don't give a rodent's rectum what anonymous strangers think of me. I just find it odd.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:13 PM

There are trolls all over the internet. I wouldn't sweat downvotes by random strangers.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
Hard to figure out.
There are bots programmed to seek out out and downvote videos and such.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancephalic View Post
That sounds like a lot of effort to do... for no good reason.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
That sounds like a lot of effort to do... for no good reason.
Well, the first one is anyway. There are how-tos on the internet.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:15 PM

Two reasons I can think of :
1) a lot of what you post is in sort of esoteric interest categories. Within those, there tend to be very competitive people who want to be the king or queen of said category. So people like that will downvote everybody else. They have nothing else in their lives, try to pity them.

2) Most people randomly searching imgur are looking for funny stuff. None of what you posted would make them laugh, so they downvote it.

Somebody mentioned Youtube - that's even more likely to get downvotes. In that case people are training the software to send them things they will like, so they downvote things they don't like. Sadly, youtube Corp. uses this as an excuse to lower the compensation to the providers who get downvoted, so I never do it. It's capitalism at its worst. There is nothing bad or wrong about the video, it's just not in my weird interest range, but the provider gets dinged if I say so.

Last edited by TruCelt; 09-15-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Yeah, I don't give a rodent's rectum what anonymous strangers think of me. I just find it odd.
Good. Sometimes people get way too caught up on social media and that's not good for you.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

There used to be a really good website for amateur or semi-pro photographers. You could upload your photos, and other photographers would give you constructive comments or critiques and give advice on how to improve your technique. It was a sad day when it died. Otherwise, I don't know of any others with that level of civility.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:37 PM

Social media is a complete waste of time, and the fact that mundane downvotes gets to you in some manner just confirms that very fact. That being said I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was someone that knows you in the real world. Why do you seek validation online? Just live your life man, it sounds pretty good from your threads I've read, you sound like you are having a good time.

Last edited by pool; 09-15-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Social media is a complete waste of time, and the fact that mundane downvotes gets to you in some manner just confirms that very fact. That being said I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was someone that knows you in the real world. Why do you seek validation online? Just live your life man, it sounds pretty good from your threads I've read, you sound like you are having a good time.
It doesn't 'get' me that my pics were downvoted. It just seems strange that people would do that. I don't really care what people think. But I do find it strange.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
It doesn't 'get' me that my pics were downvoted. It just seems strange that people would do that. I don't really care what people think. But I do find it strange.
Why does it seem strange? Whether you admit or or not, it seems like it's a knock against your ego.

Last edited by pool; 09-15-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:05 PM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

People down vote everything. Antisocial, people who think they’re edgy, trolls, something reminds them of an unhappy memory, so many reasons.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:13 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

It's Imgur. It's inherently bizarre like that.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Whether you admit or or not, it seems like it's a knock against your ego.
Nope.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Four people upvoted the photo of the blue, metric socket set I repainted, and four downvoted it.
Well, I don't like your goddamned socket set either, and I didn't even vote.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:42 PM

Well, Van Gogh painted a metric screwdriver set turquoise, so I downvoted yours as derivative.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:25 PM

Believe it or not, there are people who think others shouldn't share personal things online, at all, as that is 'attention-seeking', which is inherently vain and evil.
Those folks are insular wackadoos. They're found on ANY social media using downvotes to tell others not to use the media socially. You know the 'no selfie' rule on Imgur? That's a tiny sliver of this attitude.
That person who irrationally doesn't like when any gal of any age dresses up an goes all out w/ looking fine where others can see her? Extrapolate that out, you get those people.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:56 AM

Imgur is imgur. Selfies get down voted automatically (except for on selfie day). I've had pictures make the front page, getting dozens of comments and hundreds of up votes, yet there will also be ten or twelve down votes. Personally, I usually down vote glurgey posts. It's imgur.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Social media is a complete waste of time, and the fact that mundane downvotes gets to you in some manner just confirms that very fact.
It is a tragic loss. Just imagine what you could've accomplished with the seventeen precious years you've wasted in this social medium.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Message boards aren't social media because reasons.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

dp

Last edited by Ludovic; 09-16-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I'm in a similar position: I just joined Reddit this weekend to post to an architecture group and my posts don't even show up for a day and by then they've drifted toward the bottom. I'm told that I need to post more to more groups and get more likes, but I'm not getting paid so I'm not about to go through the whole "get experience so I can get a job" rigamarole for free, and other than that specific group, between classic message boards and Facebook I get enough social media as it is.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
It is a tragic loss. Just imagine what you could've accomplished with the seventeen precious years you've wasted in this social medium.
Well as long as people don't start sharing selfies and pictures of the fucking food they're eating that nobody gives a shit about, I don't consider it in the same vein. Now I know some people will occasionally post those things but you have to click a link.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I'm in a similar position: I just joined Reddit
The even weirder thing about Reddit is when you post something that gets attention and then people "follow" you. I have six followers. No clue who they are or why they are following me. It's kinda creepy.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:03 AM

People downvote and hate on stuff for no reason at all. Sometimes I think it's an accident, but other times I think it's just angry people wanting to throw hate at stuff for no reason.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Message boards aren't social media because reasons.
Are too!

Imgur is just a place where I can post pics for this MB or FB.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:05 PM

I just use imgur as a place to park images I share on Reddit or elsewhere. If I get upvotes on Reddit I know I'm doing something interesting to others.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
There are trolls all over the internet. I wouldn't sweat downvotes by random strangers.
Excellent advice. Reminds me of Neil Gaiman's commencement address:

Quote:
And when things get tough, this is what you should do.
Make good art.

I'm serious...
Husband runs off with a politician?
Make good art.
Leg crushed and then eaten by mutated boa constrictor?
Make good art.
IRS on your trail?
Make good art.
Cat exploded?
Make good art.
Somebody on the Internet thinks what you do is stupid or evil or it's all been done before?
Make good art.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:30 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancephalic View Post
"Itís not enough that I should succeed, others should fail."
Old 09-16-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post

Definitely this. People are dicks, people on the internet are even bigger dicks.

You canít get offended by what anyone thinks of you internet, theyíre hiding behind a screen and feel totally emboldened by that.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:30 AM

25% of it is toddlers pushing keys on daddy's laptop. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by Isamu; 09-17-2019 at 06:31 AM.