Old 12-08-2018, 02:13 PM

In which Maggie asks for help (Gofundme)

So. Those who have been following along may remember this thread that I started in 2015, when i was first diagnosed with stage 4 colorectal cancer. In the 3 1/2 years since my diagnosis, my life has pretty much continued on - able to work full time, do most of the stuff I like to do, etc. Now, though, that has changed.

On the day after Thanksgiving, my oncologist told me that the most recent MRI showed that my primary tumor, on the corner of Colon & Rectum, has regrown to approximately the size it was when this all started. That is to say, it has become resistant to the various chemotherapies we have thrown at it, and were pretty much out of chemo drugs.

And now everything is different. And now I need help.

I have gone on Disability from work, which means my income is reduced. Fortunately, our lease expires on 1/1, and we will be able to move in to a much cheaper apartment next to my parents, so they will be able to help my husband care for me. Well need to pay for movers, plus storage (downshifting from a 2-bedroom to a 1-bedroom), plus I would like to see a doctor at USC for a second opinion and Kaiser generally wont pay for that.

My folks started a Gofundme a couple days ago, and my friends have been very kind. Our initial goal has been met, which takes care of immediate needs, but we are continuing to raise money for future issues - Ill need to deal with COBRA stuff, for one thing, and that aint cheap. If any Dopers could help out, I would totally appreciate it.

Gofundme link: https://www.gofundme.com/mona-maggie...er-battle-fund

This post approved by the PTB.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:55 PM

Best wishes.

You might look into the possibility of a clinical trial:
https://www.cancer.net/research-and-...clinical-trial
Old 12-08-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
Best wishes.

You might look into the possibility of a clinical trial:
https://www.cancer.net/research-and-...clinical-trial
Thats one of the reasons I want to see Dr. Lentz at USC - hes involved with or aware of a lot of trials - USC having a much higher interest in research, etc than Kaiser does.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

I gave a bit. I'm hoping things go your way, Maggie.

StG
Old 12-09-2018, 11:55 PM

I chipped in. I hope you can see that doctor soon. Best wishes.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:25 PM

Thank you very much. I’m working on it!
Old 12-10-2018, 05:05 PM

All the best luck in the world, Maggie. We need more healthy ocelots in the world!
Old 12-12-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

You mentioned disability and COBRA. Does your employer offer disability income insurance? I would have thought you'd still be eligible for employer-funded healthcare, if so, but I guess not.

Have you applied for SSDI yet? If not, do that; Medicaid is better than nothing (I assume).
Old 12-12-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
You mentioned disability and COBRA. Does your employer offer disability income insurance? I would have thought you'd still be eligible for employer-funded healthcare, if so, but I guess not.

Have you applied for SSDI yet? If not, do that; Medicaid is better than nothing (I assume).
If you have Kaiser then you can't get regular Medicaid, which is the payer of last resort. However Medicaid may have a program that helps pay the premiums of your commercial insurance. At least that's how it works in Massachusetts.

http://untilsoon.weebly.com/

Last edited by jaycat; 12-12-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
If you have Kaiser then you can't get regular Medicaid, which is the payer of last resort. However Medicaid may have a program that helps pay the premiums of your commercial insurance. At least that's how it works in Massachusetts.
That's worth checking into.

However: my thinking was that if Maggie can be qualified for SSDI, she might qualify for Medicaid **instead of** Kaiser.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:24 PM

I'll second the SSDI. Get an attorney if you can. They won't charge you until the Disability is approved.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
That's worth checking into.

However: my thinking was that if Maggie can be qualified for SSDI, she might qualify for Medicaid **instead of** Kaiser.
That's also a possibility. In Mass. if you qualify for SSDI you are automatically eligible for Medicaid. I would strongly urge Maggie to apply for both.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:39 PM

I’ll definitely look into that. As it is, my work will pay for my health insurance for up to 6 months while I’m on disability, though I have to pay them back for my portion when I quit or return to work. After that I will have to either do COBRA or Medicaid (if allowed) or find insurance thru Obamacare.

Many, many thanks to the Dopers who have contributed. Yet another reason to love the community which is this message board.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:22 PM

Please keep us posted. I'm interested to hear what happens with your Medicaid.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:50 AM
Charter Member

I haven't been on the boards much lately; I'm glad I saw this. I kicked in $10. I would like to have sent one of our spiffy new vertically-oriented plastic $10 notes, but just pinging my Koho (prepaid Visa) card is so much easier...
Old 03-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Any update?
Old 09-17-2019, 06:17 AM

I just donated a little bit. Rest in Peace, Maggie the Ocelot.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I just donated a little bit. Rest in Peace, Maggie the Ocelot.
Wait, she died?
Old 09-17-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Wait, she died?
A few days ago.
Skip to the end of this thread...
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=768866
Old 09-17-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
A few days ago.
Skip to the end of this thread...
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=768866
Oh ok, thank you.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:46 PM

More precisely from Post 162 on, which says:
Quote:
RIP, she has passed away:
Quote:
Thank you all for your help in getting Maggie & Nico moved and continuing her medical care. We had hoped we would get at least a year with her close by but the cancer became chemo resistant and the meds were no longer helping her. She decided to stop treatment and enjoy the balance of her life; close to family & seeing her friends.

We had several good months, but in June it started to get more difficult. We were able to make a trip north for a 4th of July family celebration but after that, even day trips became painful. She decided to go on hospice care in mid-July because the trips to Kaiser Hollywood were too hard anymore.

She was enjoying having visitors the last few weeks, but on the night of 9/11 through the early morning 9/12 she had a big change in her cognitive abilities. She was restless; her breathing became shallow and she was having more pain. Her nursing staff gave her a patch for pain and she slept a while, then slowly faded away around 5:40pm.

She is gone.

People keep asking what they can do so we decided to reopen this GoFundMe for those that want to contribute to her final expenses.

She planned the whole funeral/memorial herself, preparing for months even when she was working. I did the final research for her at home & she made the choices between options. This is her last big extravaganza & she planned it with love.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/mona-magg...5b84f7b5b84a74
Old 09-17-2019, 03:38 PM

That goFundMe link does not work. This is where people can still donate towards her final expenses:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mona-magg...er-battle-fund.