Old 09-17-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

First non stop four way swim across English Channel

Sarah Thomas becomes the first person to swim the English Channel four times non-stop. There have been four people who have done three crossings at once and a number who have done two crossings.

Total swim took just over 54 hours and she swam close to 130 miles total. The only rest she was able to take was ten minutes on each shore. Just thinking about this boggles my mind.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:25 PM

An incredible achievement and an inspirational story! The article doesn't say why an American chose to swim the English Channel - had she moved to the UK?
Old 09-17-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward The Head View Post
The only rest she was able to take was ten minutes on each shore.
How is that "non-stop"? Don't get me wrong, it's still completely amazing; but I wouldn't quite call it "non-stop".
Old 09-18-2019, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendish Astronaut View Post
An incredible achievement and an inspirational story! The article doesn't say why an American chose to swim the English Channel - had she moved to the UK?
The English Channel swim is one of those swims that people want to attempt. Lots of people from around the world do the swim. I've thought about doing it from time to time, but not really sure if I'd want to train for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
How is that "non-stop"? Don't get me wrong, it's still completely amazing; but I wouldn't quite call it "non-stop".
I guess it really depends on what one considers by "non-stop". One has to go past the high water mark, then return to the water where they can rest for no more then ten minutes. It's not like she got out on one side, took an hour nap, and went back in.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Like the dance marathons of old, win-a-car-by-touching-it contests, etc., there are rules allowing breaks. Stuff like this is usually not literally non-stop.

So presumably the Official English Channel Crossing Association or whatever set the criteria for non-stop crossings and this is one of their rules.

The swimmers obey these rules, not yours. Sorry. You should have set up your own organization decades ago and promoted the daylights out of it so it'd be considered the main one.