Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Kansas City Dopefest

Since it came up in this thread, this thread, and this thread within the last 6 months and nobody else has really started the ball rolling, I'm taking the initiative to at least open the thread and get the conversation started.

This isn't to say that I'm volunteering to plan or coordinate the whole thing, but let's throw around some ideas for dates etc.

When was the last KC Dopefest? I haven't seen one referred to in the couple years I've been here.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 PM

In the near future, whenever except April 20 works for me, and even with that, I could come in the evening.

I remember there was one a few years ago - I can't remember how many. I do remember that it was in June, because it ended up being the same weekend of the KC Highland Games (which are the 2nd full weekend in June...7th-9th, I think this year, if any Dopers are interested; I help/hang out between the Clan Campbell booth and the History/Culture area), so I couldn't go.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Oh wow, me and my girl go to the Highland Games every year. Tomorrow I'm wearing a skirt to work which I bought there last year, in fact. Even if there isn't a Dopefest, I should stop by and say "hi" if I know where you will be at.

~

Yeah, now that I'm "out" I wouldn't mind coming to a Dopefest here with Fierra.

It's impossible to say what I am doing on any given weekend, but mostly my weekends are free.

Don't stress too much about trying to find the "perfect" weekend - if too many people can't make it to one, just have another get-together in a few months. It's not like anyone is renting a venue or anything. Some Dopefest plans get horribly hijacked by one or two people screaming about how the entire fest needs to be moved so they can make it. Just pick a non-holiday date and go for it.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

It's been quite a while since the last I remember, and I'd love to attend one again. There's a ton of stuff to do in KC.

As already said, don't stress about a date, there's never going to be a time convenient for absolutely everyone.

I'm only an hour away, so let's do it!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Never been to a Dopefest. I like the idea of having one nearby.
What to wear? What to wear?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

The last KC Dopefest I remember was about five years ago... the week that I was on vacation in Colorado. So yeah I'm looking forward to one. Any weekend other than Mem. Day should work.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Una Persson View Post
Oh wow, me and my girl go to the Highland Games every year. Tomorrow I'm wearing a skirt to work which I bought there last year, in fact. Even if there isn't a Dopefest, I should stop by and say "hi" if I know where you will be at.
I help the Bard, who is also the Clan Campbell guy, so I'm almost always in the Campbell tent or the History/Culture area during his story-telling sessions. Just ask for Wendy/Thing 1 (running joke since there are 2 Campbell helpers named Wendy; we call ourselves Thing 1 and Thing 2)!

Last edited by Katriona; 04-11-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 PM

I would consider driving down for one. I haven't been to a KC Dopefest since 2003.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:42 PM

Well, here are some options. I don't know everyone's kid situation, but we might factor that in as well.

Options:

1) Evening meetup for appetizers/dinner/drinks. Adult. From what I gather, this is the most common format.

2) Daytime, during or centered around an event...see Highland Games. Family friendly or no.

3) Daytime, not centered around any particular event. Example, afternoon BBQ at a park. Family friendly.

4) Group tour event...examples, hard hat tour of Kansas City Museum, or Boulevard Brewing.

5) Something less lame.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Those don't sound lame at all. I'd go for any or all of them. #1, #3 and #4 would be my picks if I had to choose, but I'll go for any or all of them. I won't have kids there but I don't mind being with them.

The brewing tour sounds good. Also consider the small museum for the steamboat Arabia, that went down in 1856, and was rediscovered and excavated.

http://www.visitkc.com/member-detail....aspx?id=28981
Old 04-11-2013, 03:14 PM

The Steamboat Arabia Museum was amazing! I highly recommend the guided tour.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:22 PM

I vote against tours as being the main event. My experience from organizing several tours as get-togethers is folks tend to wander off in one's and two's and there's less of a community atmosphere. Otherwise I'm flexible.

Outdoors can be interesting, but it can also be dicey depending upon the weather.

If anyone wants to go somewhere decent with a dance floor and house music afterwards, I'll wear my leather miniskirt and dancing heels.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 PM

Give me the day and I can be there.

SFC Schwartz
Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 PM

I will tentatively say that I am in. I'm good for an evening meetup, but my day times are pretty full, especially on the weekends. I work in the Crossroads district, near Union Station. I think it would be a blast to meet.

Plus, I can schmooze Baker and maybe get some points pointers on some inside information for the Celebrity Death Pool.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Bumping this to see if anyone is still interested in attempting a get-together this summer.

If nobody in the KC area wants to step up to organize something, I'd be willing to check with Lawrence KS Parks and Rec and see if we can rent a park shelter some Saturday or Sunday afternoon and have a potluck/picnic sort of thing, do some grilling, etc.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katriona View Post
I help the Bard, who is also the Clan Campbell guy, so I'm almost always in the Campbell tent or the History/Culture area during his story-telling sessions. Just ask for Wendy/Thing 1 (running joke since there are 2 Campbell helpers named Wendy; we call ourselves Thing 1 and Thing 2)!
It was nice to meet you at the Highland Games today!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Bumping this to see if anyone is still interested in attempting a get-together this summer.

If nobody in the KC area wants to step up to organize something, I'd be willing to check with Lawrence KS Parks and Rec and see if we can rent a park shelter some Saturday or Sunday afternoon and have a potluck/picnic sort of thing, do some grilling, etc.
Perfect. Clinton Park on 6th around Maine (no relation to Clinton Lake) is lovely (nice shelter, playground for the kiddies, seven blocks from downtown) would be great -- and it's a three-minute walk from my house!

Any day between June 20 and June 30 would work best for me. I'll be away until June 20, but I can help with any organizing after that date.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Una Persson View Post
It was nice to meet you at the Highland Games today!
You too! It was the highlight of the weekend!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Perfect. Clinton Park on 6th around Maine (no relation to Clinton Lake) is lovely (nice shelter, playground for the kiddies, seven blocks from downtown) would be great -- and it's a three-minute walk from my house!

Any day between June 20 and June 30 would work best for me. I'll be away until June 20, but I can help with any organizing after that date.

See, I was thinking Prairie Park because it has a shelter, a playground (plus more playground equipment at the school next to the park) and a (not very well maintained) baseball diamond. And it's a short walk from my house! But Clinton Park is probably easier to get to for people coming in from out of town.

Half-day reservation for a park shelter (10am-3pm or 4pm-9pm) is $35. Full day is $65. I'm not going to be available the weekend of June 29-30 so it would have to be next weekend, June 22-23. Reservations for the weekend must be made by noon Wednesday. If folks are interested, let me know if you'd prefer Saturday or Sunday and day or evening (or full day?) and I can check into park shelter availability.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post

Quote:
See, I was thinking Prairie Park because ... [truncated by quoter] ...it's a short walk from my house! But Clinton Park is probably easier to get to for people coming in from out of town.
I'd think that Centennial would be easiest for the out-of-town folks, since it's just off of the US 59/40 K 10/I 70 interchanges. And it has two shelters available for rent! (One off 9th, one off Rockledge.)

Then again, I live half a block from Clinton, and it does have a nice backdrop. I'll advocate for Sunday, as it's the end of my workweek (so I can hang later). As long as it's not Thursday, when the Boffers will be there.

(I mean, some of them are my friends. But they'll try to join! And have no idea who Cecil is!)
Old 06-15-2013, 09:51 PM

BTW,

Whatever park/shelter is decided, I can post directions. I'm currently working as a taxi driver in Lawrence, and guarantee that I will give the most painless directions to wherever we're meeting.

-az
Old 06-15-2013, 09:54 PM

Lawrence is an hours drive from Kansas City. You might as well plan a Chicago Dopefest in Milwaukee.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Lawrence is an hours drive from Kansas City. You might as well plan a Chicago Dopefest in Milwaukee.
Lawrence is a 25 minute drive from KCK. A 30 minute drive from KCMO. And a 45 minute drive from Blue Springs. Go ahead and ask the cab driver how he knows that.

Call me at 9th and Mass in Lawrence to any address in Blue Springs, MO, and I'll be there in 40 minutes. (Maybe 50...)

Last edited by azraiel; 06-15-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azraiel View Post
Lawrence is a 25 minute drive from KCK. A 30 minute drive from KCMO. And a 45 minute drive from Blue Springs. Go ahead and ask the cab driver how he knows that.
That's odd, as I went to and from Lawrence Thursday, from my apartment in Waldo to a house in Lawrence and it was an hour each way. I just put my trip in Google Maps and it has it at 58 minutes, and that is at 12:37 AM on a Saturday in current traffic.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:37 AM

Whatever works for folks. I think of KCMO and Lawrence as basically about 45 to 50 minutes apart from each other.

We could meet somewhere in between -- Eudora and De Soto have okay parks -- but KCMO is fine with me (but someone else would have to organize it).

If it is in Lawrence, Centennial Park ("the rocket park") would be great. Very easy to get to from I-70. Bring a frisbee.

Last edited by JKellyMap; 06-16-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
That's odd, as I went to and from Lawrence Thursday, from my apartment in Waldo to a house in Lawrence and it was an hour each way. I just put my trip in Google Maps and it has it at 58 minutes, and that is at 12:37 AM on a Saturday in current traffic.
*shrug*

Different driving styles? Lots of sides streets at low MPH to navigate? I'm not trying to argue, I just know I can get from Old West Lawrence to Power and Light in a titch over 30 minutes.

Besides, we have a couple o' dopers in Topeka. Lawrence seems nice and central for the area. Then again, we are discussing parks that are one and 10 blocks from my house, respectively, so I may be biased.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I only suggested Lawrence because nobody in KC seemed interested in organizing anything. If one of the KC area Dopers wants to set something up, that's fine with me.

As far as the driving time from KC, it really depends where you're going to/from in Lawrence. It takes 20 minutes just to get from one side of town to the other!
Old 08-27-2019, 02:01 PM

Bump.

So it's partially my fault this died off last time...things were crazy around that time and I didn't follow through.

BUT!

I've been thinking about it and reading back through this thread, and so I think what I'll do is throw a date out there - Saturday, October 5 - .

I was thinking we could do a BBQ at a park with a playground for lunch (actually have a brand new park with an awesome playground in mind), then take a break and whoever wants to can meet up again later at someplace like P&L for a more adult event with food or dancing or Howl at the Moon or whatever.

Who's in?? I'm going to go ahead and schedule the grandparents to stay with the kiddos that night, so fellow Dopers or no, wife and I are going to have date night.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Pickleball courts? I'm in!

What the hell is pickleball?
Old 08-27-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Pickleball courts? I'm in!

What the hell is pickleball?
It's awesome! They have courts for it!
Old 08-27-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to write this down, and I will plan on being there. I'm not too far away, in Topeka.

There was a KC Dopefest, but it has been many years. It was even an overnighter.

And before that even there were four Dopers who got together in KC for dinner. I honestly can't remember who the others were now, but the one gal, coming into the bar, knew you just don't ask for people by name, so she came in calling out "Anyone here know Ceciil Adams?"

I can even bring food!
Old 08-28-2019, 07:28 AM

Yay, it's almost a party!

If we get a few more folks, I'll go ahead and reserve a place.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
It's awesome! They have courts for it!
K full disclosure... I'm only vaguely aware of what pickleball is. I think hipsters like it, so it must be cool. The new bocce?
Old 08-31-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Pickleball: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickleball

Looks like a cross between tennis and badminton, played with wooden paddles and a wiffle ball.

One more Doper and we can play doubles.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:54 AM

Looks like a lot of the people who posted in the original thread are inactive or no longer in the area. Anyone else interested?
Old 08-31-2019, 10:16 AM

There's a slim chance I could make it. I'm pretty much up for anything. Day of the week is largely irrelevant to me. Figure out a date at least a month in the future and let me know.

Last edited by Alpha Twit; 08-31-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:26 PM

Party for (mebbe) 4!

Sounds like we can ditch the family-friendly event and make it an adult outing, which is perfectly ok with us (no really, we probably need it!)

Baker has an hour drive or a touch more, not sure about everybody else. Early dinner someplace decent, with the option for going somewhere after?
Old 09-04-2019, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Sounds good to me! I am looking forward to meeting fellow Dopers in real life.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Sounds good to me! I am looking forward to meeting fellow Dopers in real life.
Me too! Just booked the grandparents for the boys that afternoon and night. Dope fest + date night! Anyone else bringing significants?

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 09-04-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I'm a loner.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I'm a loner.
Just trying to figure out how many party hats and name tags to bring
Old 09-07-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I didn't think my wife would be interested, but she said sure, why not. So count me in for two.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Just trying to figure out how many party hats and name tags to bring
I should bring cookies or something. It's what I do.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Things stil on for 10/5? I need directions.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:53 AM

Still on! We need to decide where? Maybe start with a general area and narrow down venues from there? Doesn't someone live in Lawrence?
Old 09-16-2019, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, that's me. Do we want to meet up in Lawrence instead? I could look into renting a park shelter for half a day if we want to have a cookout, or there are a number of brewpubs in town where we could meet. Heck, if the group is small enough we could meet at my house and just hang out on the deck.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Or we could meet up at IKEA in Kansas City for a game of hide-and-seek!

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=882112
Old 09-16-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's me. Do we want to meet up in Lawrence instead? I could look into renting a park shelter for half a day if we want to have a cookout, or there are a number of brewpubs in town where we could meet. Heck, if the group is small enough we could meet at my house and just hang out on the deck.
Ok I thought that was you. I'd be good with Larry, and I'm always down for a brewpub!
Old 09-16-2019, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Brewpub, brewpub, brewpub!!! Or cookout, but brewpub would be cooler.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Brewpub, brewpub, brewpub!!! Or cookout, but brewpub would be cooler.
Sounds like "brewpub" is at the top of the list at the moment I've only been to Free State, but I'd get are other fine establishments something new would be juuuust fine.