Old 12-31-2018, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to Canadoper Pub, 2019!

It's New Year's already on Cape Spear, Canada's easternmost point!

Come in, come in, out of the cold and the storm. Canadoper Pub is open for another year. There's a fire burning in the corner fireplace, and friendly Canadadopers to chat about all things Canadian. A friendly barkeep will furnish you with your favourite tipple.

There's big screen TVs going with sports, especially the junior hockey tournament right now, but soon to be NHL, curling, and CFL - is it the Riders year? Of course it is!

Feel free to move from table to table and join in the conversations. Trudeau, Scheer, Singh, Beaulieu and May are all fair game. And whatta bout that pipeline, eh? Will it be Notley or Kenney in the Alberta election?

And don't forget all songs and books that catch your fancy - share them with us.

Meilleurs vœux et bonne année! Happy New Year and best wishes to all!
Old 12-31-2018, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Oooh, we've upgraded to a licensed facility? Just remember, the good brownies aren't legal for sale until October.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:12 PM

Here's to a new year with new adventures and new friends joining in.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Happy new year, eh?

Last edited by Sunspace; 01-01-2019 at 12:17 AM. Reason: It doesn't like emoji characters!
Old 01-01-2019, 04:01 AM

Cozy.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Glad to be here. Happy New Year, everybody!
Old 01-01-2019, 07:49 AM

I'll just find myself a little table in the corner and look on disapprovingly while sipping a Diet PC Cola.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:20 AM

I, for one, am optimistic about this new year. A few lingering 2018 issues to resolve but they should pass quickly. Family and friends are my focus and they are all awesome.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:37 PM

It’s just so nice to see you all again. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2019, 02:24 PM

Happy New Year, all!
Old 01-01-2019, 09:21 PM

Welcome to 2019 everyone! Let’s hope it goes well.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
Oooh, we've upgraded to a licensed facility? Just remember, the good brownies aren't legal for sale until October.
My mom did have a good brownie recipe (though no particularly "special" ingredients.)

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/4 tsp salt

Melt butter in medium saucepan and remove from heat.* Stir in cocoa, then stir in brown sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Blend in flour, nuts and salt. Spread evenly in a greased (with butter) and floured 8x8 inch pan.** Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan. Yield: about 16 brownies.

*Recipe says to melt the butter in a saucepan on the stove, though melting it in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl works as well.
**You can buy metallic pans at the store.

Happy New Year, everyone!
Old 01-02-2019, 04:02 PM

Happy New Year All! This year past was marginally better for me than 2017 so I'm hoping I'm on an upward trend here. Hope every one had a good time on the 31st!
Old 01-02-2019, 10:00 PM

How Canadian is this? - my first sheet music sale of the year was my arrangement of a Sam Roberts Band song, sold to someone in Alberta.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:56 AM

So WJHC is done for Canada. Too bad, but sometimes luck isn't with you...
Old 01-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Greetings from Vancouver. 2018 was not a good year. I'm cautiously optimistic about 2019, I think.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:56 PM

Happy New Year, fellow Canadian dopers! 2018 ended with my son's engagement; 2019 will probably end with my son's wedding. They are already talking kids. Lord, what are the chances of my being a grandfather by December, 2020? That would be the most awesome thing I could imagine!

Last edited by D18; 01-03-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

Happy New Year, eh?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:13 AM

Hi. I'm starting my new year's resolutions a bit late this year, and one of them is to pop in here more often. Happy belated New Year to all.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:04 AM

So a minor Cabinet Shuffle and it looks like we have a new VA minister who is none too pleased to be there. I suspect we aren't going to be better served by Ms. Wilson-Raybould than we were by Mr. O'Regan. I'm really hoping we get a minority government next election, so at least there are some kind of checks and balances.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:26 AM

Ms Wilson-Raybold is.my MP, and my office used ro be teo blocks from hers. I will tell you, there is an amazing Thai food truck that parks near her office, so you don't need to pack a lunch when protesting. There is also signage saying where you can protest and what is private property

Seriously though this shuffle doesn't really make sense.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2019, 04:07 PM

I'm all for a good Pad Thai and exercising my democratic rights but the commute from home is going to be hellish.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:06 PM

Fuck. Gilles Duceppe's mother froze to death outside a Montreal nursing home.

I don't like the BQ, but I did appreciate Gilles as a politician. I believe he is good man, and no one deserves this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...rmia-1.4986538
Old 01-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Fuck. Gilles Duceppe's mother froze to death outside a Montreal nursing home.

I don't like the BQ, but I did appreciate Gilles as a politician. I believe he is good man, and no one deserves this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...rmia-1.4986538
Jesus N. Christ, what a horror.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:49 PM

Happy New Year to all.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

What, no thoughts about Good Hair Justin and SNC Lavalin? What does Jody Wilson-Leboult know and isn't telling? Who will be called in front of the Committee?

Last edited by Northern Piper; 02-15-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Trudeau admits that the Attorney General asked him if he was planning on giving her a specific direction with regard to SNC Lavalin :

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politi...deau-1.4299254
Old 02-15-2019, 10:41 PM

I do notice liberal friends voicing support for Wilson-Raybould. Based on, as far as I can tell, nothing whatsoever. She's coming across well, but I prefer to base opinions on information rather than feelings. I like her and I hope she's in the right here, but I'm withholding judgement until I have something to base it on.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

I'm afraid I'm not quite understanding the matter. I've been trying to follow the news, but not making sense of it. So far, what I'm understanding is that SNC Lavalin did something, that consequently, Ms. Wilson-Raybould resigned, and that her inability to speak French might figure into all this somehow.

Could someone post a quick-and-dirty summary of the matter, and how Ms. Wilson-Raybould figures into it?
Old 02-16-2019, 12:43 AM

My understanding is that there are allegations that Trudeau's government pressured Wilson-Raybould to settle the case or somehow intervene to make it less bad, because the Liberals are all about keeping Big Business happy, which would be undue influence. She, supposedly, refused, and was demoted in a cabinet shuffle, allegedly in punishment for refusal to play that game.

So it mostly seems to be an allegation against Trudeau, whose track record as pro-Business is pretty clear to me (see: Kinder-Morgan bailout). Wilson-Raybould is collateral damage here: if she was just standing up to the party as a matter of ethics, we could see her as the new party leader in a while, I think. But she's not saying anything (wisely) and it remains to be seen whether this is what brings down the Trudeau government, or is just 2019's Elbowgate.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drake View Post
I do notice liberal friends voicing support for Wilson-Raybould. Based on, as far as I can tell, nothing whatsoever. She's coming across well, but I prefer to base opinions on information rather than feelings. I like her and I hope she's in the right here, but I'm withholding judgement until I have something to base it on.
This.

Personally, I don't think anyone is clean in this and that includes Wilson-Raybould.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2019, 07:37 AM

It's one of these news stories that you read about after the fact, and the media assumes you're familiar with the backstory; I'm not.

I believe that SNC-Lavalin used government funding as bribe money to possibly get a contract somewhere? And that the Attorney General was asked to not investigate. She disagreed and was demoted and then resigned?

I may be totally off base and please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:45 AM

By the way, bribe money is very commonplace in a lot of countries. If you want to be awarded a contract, it's assumed that you'll be greasing some palms.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
I'm afraid I'm not quite understanding the matter. I've been trying to follow the news, but not making sense of it. So far, what I'm understanding is that SNC Lavalin did something, that consequently, Ms. Wilson-Raybould resigned, and that her inability to speak French might figure into all this somehow.

Could someone post a quick-and-dirty summary of the matter, and how Ms. Wilson-Raybould figures into it?
Rewinding a bit past Dr. Drake's summary: SNC-Lavalin is a large engineering firm, based in Montréal, with customers worldwide. The firm is accused of bribing Libyan officials to get contracts between 2001 and 2011, and of corruption during construction of the CUSM/MUHC in the early 2010s, and some other stuff. The company's president and management team have been changed as a result of this (and the former president, Pierre Duhaime, was recently sentenced to a deferred prison sentence for the CUSM scandal), but the trial against the company itself started a few months ago.

Since last fall, a company accused of criminal offenses can get a deferred prosecution agreement, essentially a settlement where the trial is stopped and the company pays fines. The minister of Justice can decide to use a DPA or not in a given case. It's known that SNC-Lavalin asked federal prosecutors for a DPA and was denied.

It's alleged that, last fall, Mr. Trudeau's office pressured Ms. Wilson-Raybould, then minister of Justice, to allow a DPA for SNC-Lavalin. It's also alleged that her subsequent transfer from Justice to the less-glamorous Veterans' Affairs, as part of a cabinet shuffle, was a consequence of her refusal to use a DPA.

A few days ago, she resigned as minister of Veterans' Affairs. The tone of her published letter implied that she might have something to say but isn't sure if she can.

Last edited by Heracles; 02-16-2019 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-16-2019, 08:25 AM

Oh, and there are other dimensions:
- Somebody, in a interview, claimed that Ms. Wilson-Raybould didn't lose Justice because of the SNC thing, but because she didn't speak French.
- Ms. Wilson-Raybould is a Native woman, so accusations of sexism and racism abound.
- In the case of the Huawei CFO awaiting extradition to the U.S., Mr. Trudeau has said repeatedly that the Canadian justice system -- unlike the Chinese system -- is free of political influence, so these allegations are very damaging to his (and Canada's) credibility.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

She has retained retired Supreme Court Justice Thomas Cromwell as her lawyer to advise on what she can and can't say. She is a lawyer and is bound by solicitor-client privilege, so she's being very cautious not to make a misstep.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Heracles and Dr. Drake, thanks for the explanations. I think I get it now. Again, thanks!
Old 02-17-2019, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
By the way, bribe money is very commonplace in a lot of countries. If you want to be awarded a contract, it's assumed that you'll be greasing some palms.
Yes, but there are strict laws that Canadian companies must abide by. https://globalnews.ca/news/2085891/u...chad-diplomat/
The difference with the company linked to in the article is it made the mistake of being a western Canadian based oil company that didn't grease enough liberal palms to help it out.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

Is anybody else just plain fed up with the weather?

We have had minus double-digit temps since the beginning of February. Wind chills have taken it below that. Just going out to the corner store means that I have to dress like an astronaut: toque, gloves, parka, undervest, and so on. I'm tired of shovelling every day, and clearing the car off, and so on.

Can we all commiserate?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:29 AM

Nah, I'm a skier. No sympathy here.

That being said, I will concede that this is the first winter where I have had to put on snowshoes to dispose of kitty litter. Ullr, blessed be his name, just keeps on keeping on with the snowfall.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Is anybody else just plain fed up with the weather?

We have had minus double-digit temps since the beginning of February. Wind chills have taken it below that. Just going out to the corner store means that I have to dress like an astronaut: toque, gloves, parka, undervest, and so on. I'm tired of shovelling every day, and clearing the car off, and so on.

Can we all commiserate?
100% with you on that. I made the astronaut analogy yesterday when I got out to clear the windows of snow (not just the basement windows, those on the front too). Winter started in november and never let down. Very cold and very snowy.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Meh. We've had worse winters here in Ottawa, and better winters of course.

We have had quite a few freezing rain events this winter though.

Last edited by Leaffan; 02-19-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
Oh, and there are other dimensions:
- Somebody, in a interview, claimed that Ms. Wilson-Raybould didn't lose Justice because of the SNC thing, but because she didn't speak French.
Rampant speculation from Montreal-area MP Anthony Housefather, who apologized later in the day for being stupid.

Now I don't mind the snow, but I've had it with the multiple thaws and freezing rain.

And the boots I bought in December suck so bad I'm replacing them once the latest set of blisters heals.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:02 AM

Yeppers. I've never been closer to actually considering a snowblower than this winter. The drifts in my driveway are almost 1.5 m high and I'm going to have to hit the gym pretty hard if Nature expects me to fling any more over them. I had to dig trenches 10 ft long and 5 ft high into berms to access equipment yesterday to test it. Winter sucks. Plus, my bike just sits in the garage and mocks me.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:32 PM

Any of you Canucks watching the Scotties curling? The final is today at 5:00 between Ontario and Alberta.

One of my curling nieces is the 5th for Homan. It's very entertaining!
Old 02-24-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the reminder! I may have to go out to buy some beer to watch it with.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Sitting here watching the final with a Kilkenny. Ontario is firmly in control. 5-1, halfway through the 5th.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 02-24-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

The high winds blew down the side folding fence panels/gate. Dammit, now I can’t put the dog in the yard.

An hour later it blew down my neighbour’s too! At least mine was somewhat understandable as it’s effectively solid fence panel that fold back. But my neighbour’s is just wood stripping spaced about 5” apart !

It’s been howling like this most of the day!
Old 02-24-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Alberta steals 1!
Old 02-24-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Going to steal again?!!