Old 09-08-2019, 07:39 PM

The Orton Plantation Gardens, outside Wilmington, North Carolina; "Firestarter," with young Drew Barrymore, was filmed there. Boring as sin, but imagining the place being fire bombed telepathically by a small blond girl was amusing. Now permanently closed.

Roadside America, Shartlesville, Pennsylvania: an indoor, 1-acre miniature village representing small-town America. Buttons to push, model trains to watch, tiny animals moving about, lighted buildings; at (the village's) nighttime, you get, "God Bless America," by Kate Smith blaring across the town and projected images of The Flag and the Statue of Liberty. A real hoot! Apparently, my grandfather (died 1975) was there in his late 30s/early 40s.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

The top floor of the Old Post Office. Before Trump took control of the building, the GSA used the top floor for storage; access was via an extremely slow hydraulic elevator which only government employees could use.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-08-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
I've been inside a MMIII missile silo.
The one in South Dakota? Been there. I liked the sign on the door to the control room that said "Delivery in under 30 minutes, guaranteed."
Old 09-08-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I swam into the ice caves of Pictured Rock National Lakeshore with my daughter. Not kayaked or canoed, or jetskied, but swam to them, thanks to unusually warm water and ambition. We took off from the nearby beach and hugged the cliff until we got there and had an amazing time. I know we're not the only ones who swam there but there's probably not many of us.

https://www.nps.gov/piro/index.htm
I paddled there in the 80s, but I've not swum there. In fact, one of my paddling club's T-shirts read I'd rather die than swim!
Old 09-08-2019, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Fun place: I've been all over Newfoundland, and one of my favorite places was the Elliston puffin colony. It's windy and some of trails are narrow; don't fall off one of the cliffs.

Not so fun place: the Navy's SERE school in Brunswick, Maine. Thankfully I was an employee visiting from headquarters and not a participant. That would have been even less fun.

Interesting place: Davis-Besse nuclear plant. Back when I visited nuclear powered plants were considered the wave of the future and I remember being impressed with how clean the plant was. Fast-forward to now, and I was kind of surprised to learn that Ohio has decided to subsidize it and the Perry plant to keep them open longer.

I've also been on the USS Theodore Roosevelt as a guest for a day trip and toured the USS Iowa shortly before the accident.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:27 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I've been to the very top of the Dome at Johns Hopkins Hospital. It's where you get to go when you complete your advanced internal medicine clerkship as a student. Or at least it was, back in the early 1980's.

Lovely view! Rather breezy but sunny the day I was up there.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The roof of the Green Building at MIT.
Me too. And 5 other MIT buildings. It'll be 6 others when the new high rise in in Kendall Square (the really new one, not the the two are already structurally complete - I've been on both of those, too) gets topped off.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:40 PM

EspaŮola Island, the uninhabited southernmost island in the Galapagos.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:27 AM

Interesting thread. Thanks Chefguy. I havenít been to any places upthread, except For these: Iíve been to San Marino, Four Corners, and »ze. And Srebrenik Fortress in Bosnia and Herzegovina, I drove past it but did not go to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
San Marino.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
»ze
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
Srebrenik Fortress in Bosnia and Herzogovina.

Iíve been to Tawitawi Island in the Philippines. Itís nearly the southernmost point in the Philippines.

Iíve been through the Hum Border Crossing, in Hum, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Iíve been to all 50 states + DC (USA).

Iíve been to Hell, Norway in the winter ó Hell was frozen over.

Iíve been in the USMC caves near Trondheim, Norway, the caves that are part of the Marine Corps Prepositioning Program-Norway.

Iíve been to Campo Pachico, Baja California Sur, Mexico (gMap), on the San Ignacio Lagoon for whale watching, and have been less than 1 foot from gray whales there (I did not quite touch one).

Iíve been to the Misiůn San Javier near Loreto, Baja, Mexico.

Iíve driven the entire length of the Baja peninsula round trip, twice, from San Diego CA USA down to Cabo San Lucas and back.

In Utah, Iíve driven the 90 miles on the old Central Pacific Railroad Grade, on the Transcontinental Railroad Backcountry Byway, from the Golden Spike National Historic Site over to Lucin UT.
https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...ailroadMap.pdf

In Iowa Iíve walked out to the plane crash site in the cornfield where Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper died on The Day The Music Died (2/3/1959).

From Battery Spencer in the Marin Headlands north of San Francisco I hiked and climbed south and east, down to walk under the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:02 AM

Let's see.

In Venezuela:
- the hotel near Angel Falls, and a boat trip up to the Isla de Las Orquideas.
- the teleferico ride up from Merida to Pico Espejo.
- La Virgen de La Paz statue - we walked to the top! - In Trujillo.
- the sand dunes at Coro
- various places around Merida including Los Chorros de Milla park and the village of Jaji outside of it.

The Spluga (or Splugen) Pass between Italy and Switzerland.

La Specola Museum in Florence.

The Richard F Caris Mirror Lab at the University of Arizona. Also the Zoology and Herpetology collections at the U of A.

Casa Malpais in Springerville, Arizona.

The Garst Museum in Greenville, Ohio. Excellent little local museum with a large section on Annie Oakley.

I've also been to the Golden Spike Museum!
Old 09-09-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
Inside the reactor compartment of a U.S. Navy nuclear power plant.

...while it was shut down, of course.

. . .
My Grandfather was foreman of the pipe-fitting team that built Nautilus. We went on a tour after it was decommissioned, and once they figured out who he was, they pulled us from the group and let him show us EVERYthing. So I have looked in there, but I didn't step into it.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
The Spluga (or Splugen) Pass between Italy and Switzerland.
I got to drive it several times And I've also been to Esplugues de Llobregat, which is not a mountain pass but one of the towns which form the Barcelona Metro Area.

Last edited by Nava; 09-09-2019 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
San Marino.....
Visited a Pharma manufacturer there, of all things. Which leads me into a trio of early 20th century gems. In order of increasing ease of access.

Building D10 at Boots, Nottingham. A living museum of a pharmaceutical factory - no public access. We were there to discuss a manufacturing contract, in a room up in the gods, overlooking the floor. Breathtaking - I'm sure they use that room just to impress the hell out of you.

The Beehive, the original Gatwick Airport terminal building - one of the classic art deco airport buildings, now used as offices. Back in the days before mobiles/cellphones, and when the Beehive was an isolated building (and wasn't surrounded by a mess of industrial units), I had a flat and sneaked in there to borrow a phone.

Shoreham Airport (AKA, rather optimistically, Brighton City Airport), another classic art deco airport. You can eat in the restaurant there.

j
Old 09-09-2019, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

As far as "places it's highly unlikely other dopers have been", I've got a bunch.

Left seat of a B-17. In flight of course (it's in my log book).

Catapulted off the deck of the USS Carl Vinson in a C2 Greyhound.

"Drove" the SEMAC 1, a 45,000 ton (disp) 650' semi-submersible pipelay vessel. My station was the forward operator's position in the tower amidships.

Rafted to Monarch Cave and Wolfman Panel (Anasazi pictrographs).

Rafted Grand Canyon from Phantom Ranch to Bar 10 (5 days).

Stood out on the ramp (in the rain) to watch first flight of the 747-400 (I had worked on some of its software).

Stood out on the ramp (in the sun) to watch first flight of the F-35. (Hadn't worked on it so no dog in that hunt. But was there for another reason and got to watch)

I've done a lot of amateur exploring around the site of the Battle of Marks' Mills (Civil War). In particular, the crossing near present day New Edinburgh and Mt Elba on the Saline River. I've found quite a few artifacts (turned over, not kept) and I'm certain have been one of the few, or only, people to see these areas and objects for 150 years or so. One day after getting lost for several hours (there's a local compass error) I found the apparent remains of a small settlement and even some crude building foundations. I was able to confirm those random large stones were actually purpose-placed via a laser level and measuring their near-perfect angles. They were buried in deep bush and not visible. I suspect I was the first to see these in a very long time.

If I may include something from one of my kiddos...
As part of her Archeology PhD, my daughter was working with a group (from Ukraine of all places) uncovering a shipwreck on the floor of the Black Sea earlier this year. She was operating the giant vacuum* when it uncovered a layer of ~2500 year old Amphorae. She just happened to be the operator when they came to light. She told me she had tears in her eyes realizing she was the first human to see those in 2500 years.

*Whatever that giant vacuum thing is that you see on undersea exploration shows. She's not here so I can't find out its exact name.

Last edited by pullin; 09-09-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:31 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Cat Island, Bahamas.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:58 AM
BANNED

I have also been to (or at least past the entrance to) the world's oldest existing, functioning brewery, Weihenstephan, in Freising, outside of Munich.

Sadly I was too late to take the tour, so I found a nearby ratskeller and sampled several of their excellent brews instead.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
I have also been to (or at least past the entrance to) the world's oldest existing, functioning brewery, Weihenstephan, in Freising, outside of Munich.

Sadly I was too late to take the tour, so I found a nearby ratskeller and sampled several of their excellent brews instead.
Weihenstephan, in Freising, outside of Munich ó yes, Iíve been there too! Bavarian beer, always good.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:46 AM

I have twice gone to the cheese factory in Gruyere, Switzerland, where they allow you to watch a cheese being made from 4000 liters of milk.

The Einstein house in Bern where he lived as a student and is now a museum.

The council chamber in Bruges, Belgium.

Probably many of you have also been to an opera in the Sydney dish drainer, I mean opera house.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

A lot of great stuff here. With everything I've seen and every place I've been, there is so much more that is still unseen out there.

I'll add a couple more:

Katmai National Park, AK, including The Valley of 10,000 Smokes, which hosted the biggest volcanic eruption of the 20th century. To get there, you fly first to the town of King Salmon, then fly by float plane to land on Naknek Lake.

Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania, a true natural wonder of the world, IMO. This is the lodge we stayed in.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:58 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I've been in the cockpit of a P-51 Mustang piloted by Bob Hoover, the WW II ace and test/stunt pilot, while we did aerobatics, including snap rolls 50 feet over Lake Butte des Morts, WI.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:17 AM

I've been on a private tour of the second floor of the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley, CA. This is where their private offices and reception area are located, and contained a lot of personal memorabilia. This was when Nancy was still living and we were told she visited there often to drop things off.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

I wonder if anyone else ever got to tour WWVH, the time station based in western Kauai (in Hawaii). This was the mid 1980's, and though the station is on a military site (a Navy missile range facility), they waved us through when we said we wanted to see the radio station. We went inside, interrupting one of the operators who was eating a sandwich and a bag of chips at his desk. He was happy to show us the generating equipment and point out the radio towers. He answered any questions we had. I have an electrical engineering degree, so I recognized lots of the equipment - standard HP counters that had been heavily modified for example. We could have reached out and press a "reset" button and screw up the entire time system in US!

Due to security concerns, it's no longer available for tours.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:24 PM

In 1989 I spent 2 months on the Sulak, a Soviet fishing boat (really a factory ship) in the Bering Sea. Martin Cruz Smith later used it as the setting in his book Polar Star.

Has anyone been to the Dental Museum in Bainbridge, Ohio? It was the first dental school in America. Every current dental school can trace it's lineage back to two of the original students of this first school. It's small but worth the $5 price of admission.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Having run into people I know in the most unlikely places, I hesitate to say I've been somewhere that no one on this Board has been to.

I suspect very few have been to the museum in Arbroath, Scotland that shows the way they used to live, and fish, and make "Arbroath Smokies" (Smoked preserved fish from the North Sea). But I wouldn't want to bet on it.

More than likely others have been to the Paradise Ice Caves on the slopes of Mt. Rainier, but you can't visit them any more -- they're gone.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

I'm guessing not many Dopers have been in The Greaseman's studio audience. DC101 in Rockville, the morning before I turned 21.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-09-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I visited Moscow, West Berlin, Warsaw and Prague when they were all still cities in communist countries. Was followed by the local intelligence agencies in all of them.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I visited Moscow, West Berlin, Warsaw and Prague when they were all still cities in communist countries. Was followed by the local intelligence agencies in all of them.
I have been to 3 of the 4 of those at least once each just since early May. Cities like those are daily destinations for tens of millions of people per month.

You can do better than that.

Last edited by Royal Nonesutch; 09-09-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:01 PM

Beckdawrek:

Quote:
Has anyone dug for diamonds at the diamond mine in Murfreesboro,Ark?
Was there four years ago. Didn't find anything, but a day after our visit, someone else found the fifth-largest diamond ever found there.

burpo the wonder mutt:

Quote:
Roadside America, Shartlesville, Pennsylvania: an indoor, 1-acre miniature village representing small-town America. Buttons to push, model trains to watch, tiny animals moving about, lighted buildings; at (the village's) nighttime, you get, "God Bless America," by Kate Smith blaring across the town and projected images of The Flag and the Statue of Liberty. A real hoot! Apparently, my grandfather (died 1975) was there in his late 30s/early 40s.
Been there. There's also a very similar place in Strasburg, PA called the Choo Choo Barn.

Bullitt:

Quote:
Iíve been to all 50 states + DC (USA).
Ditto, and also to all 10 provinces of Canada. In fact, the reason I visited the whaling museum I mentioned in my first post was purely because I wanted to be able to genuinely say I'd been to Newfoundland AND Labrador, not merely to "Newfoundland and Labrador".
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 09-09-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I can't be the only one here who has been to Westerplatte, (Gadansk, Poland) where 80 years and one week ago tonight Nazi Germany attacked Poland and thus began WWII...?
Hmm... I've visited Gdansk, but I'm not sure if I went there.

I've been behind the scenes in rather a lot of UK zoos over the years, including visiting some of the islands in the canal at Chester zoo that even most of the staff never got to.

Anyone else visited the Sultan of Brunei's palace? Or a teeny island that I *think* was Panikia, in Komodo national park (may have been the next island over)?
Old 09-09-2019, 02:09 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post

Been there. Now the one you need to add to your bucket list is Bill's Old Bike Barn and Museum
https://www.billsbikebarn.com/
near Bloomsburg
Bill Morris does very little miniature and it is tons more than just motorcycles. It really is almost an indoor town.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:12 PM

A lot of the locations mentioned have been military, so I'll offer one of those as well. I've been to the former RAF Denge, site of the UK's largest experimental sound mirror complex.

Built between the wars, the mirrors were early warning devices for the detection of incoming aircraft by sound. Access to the site is limited to a couple of days a year now; when I went, twenty-odd years ago, it was a little easier but still damn difficult. We had a guided tour led by Richard Scarth, author of a couple of books on them.

In the years before the second world war, funding was allocated for an immense system of mirrors along the south and east coasts of England, and then ........... radar was invented and the funding redirected. But the reporting infrastructure used by the radar system was actually designed for use with the sound mirrors.

j

Last edited by Treppenwitz; 09-09-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:35 PM

kopek:

Quote:
Been there. Now the one you need to add to your bucket list is Bill's Old Bike Barn and Museum
Wow...you actually found something that sounds worth stopping at off I-80 in Pennsylvania (west of the Poconos).
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 09-09-2019, 02:50 PM

When I was a locksmith the shop I worked for had a lot of federal contracts, mostly DoD.

I visited quite a lot of federal and military sites in the DC area, but the most notable one was the time I was sent to a nondescript building in Arlington, Virginia that is conspicuously guarded by heavily armed men. My tools and myself were thoroughly inspected before I was even allowed inside the lobby, and inspected again once I was inside. After verifying my identity over the phone with my shop, four armed men who would not talk to me escorted me onto an elevator that had no buttons and I couldn't tell whether we were going up or down. When we exited the elevator I was led down a windowless hallway to a windowless room that was completely empty save for the drawer safe I was there to change out the lock on. They locked me inside the room while I did my work, which was carefully observed, and the whole procedure was reversed on the way out, including the multiple personal inspections. I suspect I was at a Defense Intelligence Agency site, but I still don't really know.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:58 PM

This thread continues to include many interesting places.

I've been to Wendover Historic Airfield and saw the pit where the A-bombs were loaded into the B-29 bombays before being flown to Tinian.

Not a super unique place and I imagine other Dopers have been there too.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have been to 3 of the 4 of those at least once each just since early May. Cities like those are daily destinations for tens of millions of people per month.

You can do better than that.
And have, if you've bothered to read the rest of the thread. I'd also venture to say that when I visited those cities in the 80s, millions of westerners were definitely not making those cities their destinations. Lastly, and as I stated in the first post, the thread is to offer up places you have been to that other Dopers (not the millions you refer to) have likely not visited.

Anyway, I'll offer up Palouse Falls, WA, which is a place that many have visited, but it's just enough off any beaten path that most of those on this board may not have been there or even heard of it. It's another of those natural wonders, a product of the Glacial Lake Missoula floods that shaped much of the Pacific Northwest.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:41 PM

I've been to EspaŮola Island--a wonderful place.

Okay:

--The Niederegger marzipan factory and cafe in LŁbeck?

--Antarctica?
Old 09-09-2019, 03:41 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I've been on the floor (not the visitor's gallery) of Mission Control at Johnson Space Center in Houston while astronauts were aboard the ISS.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 09-09-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Anyway, I'll offer up Palouse Falls, WA, which is a place that many have visited, but it's just enough off any beaten path that most of those on this board may not have been there or even heard of it. It's another of those natural wonders, a product of the Glacial Lake Missoula floods that shaped much of the Pacific Northwest.
Thatís one part of one of my favorite areas, the ĎChanneled Scablandsí of E WA state. Also Sun Lake - Dry Falls and its decent (but could be better6 Visitors Center. I also like the glacial erratics such as Yeager Rock (web pics here), which is easy to get to (gMap link). Also Omak balancing rock (web pics.

I want to get back to there!
Old 09-09-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I've been to EspaŮola Island--a wonderful place.
One of the best days of my life.

Quote:
--Antarctica?
I've built sensors that have gone to Antarctica, but didn't get to go myself. Got a nice baseball cap from the Scott base though.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:06 PM

Iíve been in the official Space Shuttle simulators and I landed the shuttle ó very roughly. My brother worked there in Johnson City and got us in to play around on it. Then he, a former F-16 jockey and USAFA grad, proved that it is possible to do a loop-the-loop and a barrel roll before landing the shuttle.

That same brother got me into the F-16 sims at Luke AFB. The ĎLas Vegas at Nightí sim scenario was cool, especially buzzing the Strip with all its lights brightly lit.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:50 PM

Probably the place least likely for another doper to have been to is the art installation "Taking a Wall for a Walk" by Andy Goldsworthy, that is located in Grizedale Forest in the Lake District in England. Point number 28 on this map
Old 09-09-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

I've been to the bottom of Hell's Hole in White Rock NM, just over the rim of the Rio Grande canyon near Los Alamos.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Thatís one part of one of my favorite areas, the ĎChanneled Scablandsí of E WA state. Also Sun Lake - Dry Falls and its decent (but could be better6 Visitors Center. I also like the glacial erratics such as Yeager Rock (web pics here), which is easy to get to (gMap link). Also Omak balancing rock (web pics.

I want to get back to there!
We're going back there in about a week or two. I've seen Dry Falls, as well, which must have been quite a sight when there was water in it.

AHunter3 That video gave me the creeps.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I have been in my kitchen and none of you have so nyahh, nyahh, nyahh.
Or, maybe, that's what we want you to think.

*hands wolfman a sandwich*
I was considering posting "my apartment", but I know at least a dozen other people have been there and for all I know one of them's a Doper.

Yes, I do have friends...though they're outnumbered by the service and inspection people.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Folks in this thread have been to some amazing places, but I'm guessing nobody else has been in the sex offender wing of the Kansas State Penitentiary -- during a lockdown no less!
Old 09-09-2019, 06:50 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
kopek:

Wow...you actually found something that sounds worth stopping at off I-80 in Pennsylvania (west of the Poconos).

It is not far off the exit and it really is worth the time; more so if Bill is there. The cycle shop is near the road and the museum behind it up a hill. Just look for the dinosaurs or jousting knights (depending on Bill's mood) and turn left.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Folks in this thread have been to some amazing places, but I'm guessing nobody else has been in the sex offender wing of the Kansas State Penitentiary -- during a lockdown no less!
True. But I've been in the same area in 3 different WI prisons during lockdowns. There, we call them the Special Management Units, and the inmates there are SMUs.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
No, but I interviewed a candidate that I then, during the interview, referred to another dept since he'd be a better fit. They hired him. Then he went on an int'l business trip. On his return, while clearing customs, he was arrested.

Child pornography on his laptop, and he was a frequent offender and he finally got caught. Is he still in jail? I just checked. His arrest was in 2008 and he got 10 years, so he's probably out now.

What's the interesting and unique place that I've been to that no other Doper likely has been to? That interview room, back around 2007 / 2008. I'm not aware if any coworkers are fellow Dopers here.

And I ain't askin' either.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

In the early 2000s, we drove our RV to Inuvik, NWT via the Dempster Highway. Inuvik is located on the McKenzie River delta, about 200 miles north of the Arctic Circle. I believe it's the farthest north that one can drive in Canada.

A couple of years prior to that, we drove the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse, AK on the North Slope of Alaska, which is even farther north than Inuvik. Prudoe Bay is, of course, the oil camp for the oil deposits, and the start of the trans-Alaska pipeline.

In both cases, we drove the roads because they were there and because it was an adventure. The scenery is incomparable.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
In the early 2000s, we drove our RV to Inuvik, NWT via the Dempster Highway. Inuvik is located on the McKenzie River delta, about 200 miles north of the Arctic Circle. I believe it's the farthest north that one can drive in Canada.

A couple of years prior to that, we drove the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse, AK on the North Slope of Alaska, which is even farther north than Inuvik. Prudoe Bay is, of course, the oil camp for the oil deposits, and the start of the trans-Alaska pipeline.

In both cases, we drove the roads because they were there and because it was an adventure. The scenery is incomparable.
Unfortunately (for me anyway, but not necessarily for the locals), the ice road between Inuvik and Tuk (or, Tuktoyaktuk) has been replaced by a real road about 100 miles long. I would have wanted to drive that ice road. I'll have to find another, I guess.

And as you know, Chefguy, I too plan to drive the Dalton up to Deadhorse. I want to visit the Arctic Ocean. (Hey, maybe I want to be Chefguy! )

gMap, 100 miles, Inuvik to Tuk -- https://goo.gl/maps/jHvnX7edgwcxmvtN6

I've been to Nome AK and the Bering Sea, but I supposed several other Dopers have too. Like Chefguy.

Also, I've been to Kotzebue AK. But that's not the farthest north I've been, which is TromsÝ, Norway.