Old 12-15-2017, 04:56 PM

I'm guessing JD will get no more than 4 years and about 108 mil. Besides the Red Sox, where is the market for him at his price? Boston has to make a take it or leave it offer or end up bidding against themselves.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozahol Squid, P.I. View Post
I'd drop Sam McDowell for Cy Young and put Vizquel in for Sewell. And I would drop your closer for Cody Allen (or Bob Wickman, or my Aunt Martha...)
You're right on Vizquel, and in a few years Lindor might be in there as the starting SS with Ramirez as the UT man. I've never known how good vs how durable Cy Young was.

And I know Mesa blew the '97 series, but boy in '95 he was untouchable. Perhaps I put too much weight on a single season. Honestly, I'm not sure how good Cody is. I'm always nervous when he's closing. Wickman was during a time I couldn't follow the Indians.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
I'm guessing JD will get no more than 4 years and about 108 mil. Besides the Red Sox, where is the market for him at his price? Boston has to make a take it or leave it offer or end up bidding against themselves.
That's 4 years at 27 million per. I'm sure they'd be ecstatic to get that over the 25 per for 5 I was suggesting.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
That's 4 years at 27 million per. I'm sure they'd be ecstatic to get that over the 25 per for 5 I was suggesting.
Yeah, his injury history and poor defense should mean fewer years and more dollars.

The Giants are looking to dump Pence and Moore salaries. Could be end up there? Terrible move if it is the Giants because he will have to play in the field in the cold weather.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:47 PM

Reports are CC Sabathia signs with the Yanks for 1 year $10m. Woot!

ETA and just breaking:
Quote:
Dodgers have acquired outfielder Matt Kemp from the Braves in exchange for Adrian Gonzalez, Scott Kazmir, Brandon McCarthy, Charlie Culberson and cash considerations.

Last edited by What Exit?; 12-16-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post

ETA and just breaking:
Huh? This is the strangest darn trade I have heard of.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
Huh? This is the strangest darn trade I have heard of.
Reading up on it this seems to be a salary dump to get under the luxury tax threshold prior to 2018. Kemp is expected to be released or traded.

That makes more sense.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:32 PM

Gonzalez already said to be released; during the off-season players can't be released during the off-season.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:55 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
Reading up on it this seems to be a salary dump to get under the luxury tax threshold prior to 2018. Kemp is expected to be released or traded.

That makes more sense.
I had the same initial reaction, and reached the same conclusion after more reading. It really was a very good move. Lots of salary gone without losing much productive talent.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:15 PM

The Red Sox surprisingly decided to stick with Mitch Moreland. So it looks like Hosmer is not an option. JD Martinez is still in play, but does not want to just DH. Unless the Sox trade JBJ to open an OF spot, that's what he'd mostly do in Boston.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

The Marlins hold a meeting with their season ticket holders even after their fire sale. Apparently, the Marlins guy isn’t renewing.
http://on.si.com/2oPB9ES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
The Red Sox surprisingly decided to stick with Mitch Moreland. So it looks like Hosmer is not an option. JD Martinez is still in play, but does not want to just DH. Unless the Sox trade JBJ to open an OF spot, that's what he'd mostly do in Boston.
He's an average offensive 1b and good defender for only $6.5m per year for 2 years. Sounds like a good deal for the Red Sox. I know he is injury prone but the good outweighs the bad and if they land a big 1b via trade or free agency, he will add depth to the bench & DH pool and will probably be quite easy to trade once some injuries happen during the season.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I have nothing against Eric Hosmer, but a big, heavy first baseman coming off his best season doesn't strike me as a great place to dump a lot of money.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:38 AM

Astros are apparently talking to Yu Darvish; it would be an interesting plot twist if he ended up signing there.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:43 AM

MLB Network is reporting that Zach Britton has ruptured his Achilles tendon during workouts. The Orioles predict that he'll be out about 6months.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:46 AM

Giants acquire Evan Longoria
Old 12-20-2017, 11:14 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Whoa. I didn't even know Longoria was on the table.

I can see why Tampa did this, and I don't get it from San Francisco's perspective. Longoria has been a fine player, but he is 32 and isn't great enough to justify his salary or giving up much to acquire him.

Even more pertinently, are the Giants one big salary player away from being a contender? Why are they obsessed with acquiring a big name? They're coming off a 98-loss season. Is it that important they spend a lot of dough to improve to 71-91?
Old 12-20-2017, 12:22 PM

The Marlins probably didn't think anyone would show up to their town hall meeting.

Quote:
He's an average offensive 1b and good defender for only $6.5m per year for 2 years. Sounds like a good deal for the Red Sox. I know he is injury prone but the good outweighs the bad and if they land a big 1b via trade or free agency, he will add depth to the bench & DH pool and will probably be quite easy to trade once some injuries happen during the season.
Yeah, I'm not complaining about signing Moreland. I think most people just expected the Sox to move on. Hosmer would be an upgrade, but not worth whatever Boras wants.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:26 PM

Hard to figure this one. But the Giants didn't give up too much for him and word is Tampa is covering some of the remaining $86m owed to Longoria.

Going back to Tampa are 3B Christian Arroyo, OF Denard Span, LHP Matt Krook, and RHP Stephen Woods.

The remaining salary is not that bad at least.
Code:
2018 32  $13,500,000  
2019 33  $14,500,000
2020 34  $15,000,000
2021 35 $18,500,000
2022 36 $19,500,000
2023 37  $13M Team Option, $5M Buyout
Old 12-22-2017, 07:27 AM
Charter Jays Fan

More fun with the Marlins; Rob Manfred was interviewed by ESPN's Dan LeBatard, who accused him of lying about whether or not he knew the Jeter group was planning on dismantling the team. Manfred insisted he did not.

But it looks like he did.

How bad will the Marlins situation get?
Old 12-22-2017, 12:34 PM

I didn't hear the LeBatard interview, but I've heard him talk about the Marlins recently and I heard Manfred was going to be on the show and I'm stunned he agreed to it. To say LeBatard has been harsh on the whole situation is a wild understatement. He has been livid. And rightfully so for not just Marlins fans, but Miami residents.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:58 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Inasmuch as the Marlins have absolutely pillaged Miami and Miami-Dade, the residents should be beside themselves. They're out billions. The least the Marlins could have done is try to win a few ballgames.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:18 AM

Altuve gets named AP Male Athlete of the Year, an award that I'll admit I never paid much attention to before. From the wikipedia page, looks like he's the first non-American to win the award since Ben Johnson in 1987.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:59 AM

Wade Davis signs with the Rockies.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Wade Davis signs with the Rockies.
3 years 52 mil for a closer. :O

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports...155534971.html

Last edited by madsircool; 12-29-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:15 PM

One current rumor has Baltimore trading Machado to the Cubs in return for Albert Almora Jr, Addison Russell, and lhp Mike Montgomery.

If that happens, Baltimore will have fleeced Chicago for a player who is about to become a free agent after the season.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

FYI, the Australian Baseball League is available on YouTube if you need an offseason fix.

I plan to stream the replay of this pitchers duel

http://www.theabl.com.au/news/articl...recap&sid=l595

32-10 sounds insane, no MLB team has ever scored 32 runs in a game, I'm sure it has happened in the minors.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:26 AM

The record in the minors is 51, set on June 15, 1902.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 01-01-2018, 07:51 AM

Reds sign Jared Hughes to two years, 4.25 mil (ish). Not a bad signing for the Reds.

I wonder how long it will take Hunter Greene to develop through the minors. 6'4", 210 pounds, can reach 102mph on the gun as a righty, can also DH...and he's 18 and just signed a HUGE deal for a high schooler. The bigges ever, I think.

The dude by all accounts is a star in the making. Hopefully he blows through the minors in two years. The Reds are going to need an ace that they can control for a few years before he becomes a Yankee or a Dodger.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Reds sign Jared Hughes to two years, 4.25 mil (ish). Not a bad signing for the Reds.

I wonder how long it will take Hunter Greene to develop through the minors. 6'4", 210 pounds, can reach 102mph on the gun as a righty, can also DH...and he's 18 and just signed a HUGE deal for a high schooler. The bigges ever, I think.

The dude by all accounts is a star in the making. Hopefully he blows through the minors in two years. The Reds are going to need an ace that they can control for a few years before he becomes a Yankee or a Dodger.
I live in Louisville. I may have to go to a few Bats games and see what Hunter Greene looks like on the mound.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:27 AM

Assuming Bird stays healthy, the Yankees are pretty much loaded for position players except for second and third base. When are they going to patch these holes? To be honest, I was never a Castro fan, it seemed to me he played when he wanted to and booted a lot of balls that are routinely handled in AAA. Will Torreyes get the gig full time? Or at third, will Todd Frazier re-sign or will they tap someone else? Given the insane riches in the outfield, it seems to me that trading Gardner and Ellsbury for a pair of good infielders is that last piece of the puzzle.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I live in Louisville. I may have to go to a few Bats games and see what Hunter Greene looks like on the mound.
I hope you get to see him this season because that means that he'd be in AAA at age 18!
Old 01-02-2018, 10:11 AM

If the Yanks ever manage to trade Ellsbury, they would have to keep Gardner. He's the only back-up CF to the fragile Hicks.

I'm sure Torres and Andujar will be given long looks in spring training but I'd be very surprised if the Yankees didn't go after a veteran infielder, most likely via trade. Todd Frazier would be OK but this is his only shot at free-agency in his prime. He's bound to get offers for at least three years, which probably rules out New York. With Headley gone, they will also need a reliable back-up at first. It would be great if Stanton, Judge or Sanchez could fill the role but none of them have any experience.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
If the Yanks ever manage to trade Ellsbury, they would have to keep Gardner. He's the only back-up CF to the fragile Hicks.

I'm sure Torres and Andujar will be given long looks in spring training but I'd be very surprised if the Yankees didn't go after a veteran infielder, most likely via trade. Todd Frazier would be OK but this is his only shot at free-agency in his prime. He's bound to get offers for at least three years, which probably rules out New York. With Headley gone, they will also need a reliable back-up at first. It would be great if Stanton, Judge or Sanchez could fill the role but none of them have any experience.
Clint Frazier is a solid CF. So Ellsbury & Gardner could be traded, I just don't expect it.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Assuming Bird stays healthy, the Yankees are pretty much loaded for position players except for second and third base. When are they going to patch these holes? To be honest, I was never a Castro fan, it seemed to me he played when he wanted to and booted a lot of balls that are routinely handled in AAA. Will Torreyes get the gig full time? Or at third, will Todd Frazier re-sign or will they tap someone else? Given the insane riches in the outfield, it seems to me that trading Gardner and Ellsbury for a pair of good infielders is that last piece of the puzzle.
At least one infield position is expected to be filled between Gleyber Torres and Miguel Andujar. So I only expect one veteran to be picked up. Moving Gardner would not be difficult, but moving Ellsbury is very difficult.

Castro was good but not great and was lacking in defense. Tood Frazier is looking for a multi-year deal but he and the Yanks are keeping communications open in case things fall into place.

Torreyes will be in the mix to start the year at 2nd or 3rd but they feel he is most valuable on the bench. If Torres looks like he needs a few months in AAA though, I expect Torreyes to start the season at 2nd.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Clint Frazier is a solid CF. So Ellsbury & Gardner could be traded, I just don't expect it.
I think Clint is a quality prospect and the Yankees are wasting him. Even dealing Ellsbury, that leaves Judge, Stanton, Gardner, Hicks, and Frazier all fighting for OF playing time.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:13 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Frazier MAY be a solid center fielder. He's proven nothing yet.

If you're the Yankees and you think you can win it all in 2018 - which is pretty smart, because they can - handing center field to a kid who hasn't yet played well in the major leagues is a high risk proposition.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Frazier MAY be a solid center fielder. He's proven nothing yet.

If you're the Yankees and you think you can win it all in 2018 - which is pretty smart, because they can - handing center field to a kid who hasn't yet played well in the major leagues is a high risk proposition.
I meant solid defensively. He would be backing up Hicks in the scenario I responded to above.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:22 PM

Former Red Sox reliever Daniel Bard has retired from baseball. I was wondering what ever happened to him. Apparently it was a case of the yips. Rick Ankiel syndrome. I mean, this excerpt pretty much says it all.

Quote:
His last professional appearance came on July 2 for the New York Mets’ Gulf Coast League affiliate. He allowed four runs in just two thirds of an inning, walking four and hitting two batters.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

If only he'd stayed in the bullpen. Trying to be a starter just destroyed him and he could never get back in the groove.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

A really bizarre story: An agent was filming his clients in the shower at his house with a hidden camera. I’m just confused as to why players would be showering there? Maybe I can see an agent meeting a player at the gym someplace and the player takes a shower after his workout, but at an agent’s house?

NBC Sports - HardballTalk: Agent fired for allegedly filming clients as they showeredhttp://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/01/10/agent-fired-for-allegedly-filming-clients-as-they-showered/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by dalej42; 01-10-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:46 AM

The Mets have reportedly signed Jay Bruce to a three-year deal.

When he was traded to the Indians last season, he talked about how bad it was on the Mets and how relieved he was to be going to a contender. Apparently $39 million eased his concerns.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post

When he was traded to the Indians last season, he talked about how bad it was on the Mets and how relieved he was to be going to a contender. Apparently $39 million eased his concerns.
It makes sense for the Mets and the price is reasonable by today standards but it is surprising that Jay returned to them.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:14 AM

So Castro doesn't want to play in Miami. I can't say I blame him, but what a way to endear yourself to your new team and city if they can't accommodate you with a trade.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I wouldn't blame Starlin Castro if he literally shit his pants every day in spring training just to get out of there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit?
I was overjoyed at this news because it means the Blue Jays, who have long wanted Bruce, can't have him.

I wouldn't give Jay Bruce $39, much less $39 million. He's 31 next year and a heavy, slow power hitter, which is exactly the kind of player who often blows up at 32. Bruce hits home runs but, honestly, he really isn't a noticeably good player:

Jay Bruce WAR By Year In The Last Five Years
2012: 1.9
2013: 5.3
2014: -1.1
2015: 0.8
2016: 0.6
2017: 2.7

I'm inclined to think last year was likely better than any year he'll ever have going forward. The Mets won't get their money's worth. I'm also a little confused as to where Bruce is going to play, since last I checked the Mets have two corner outfielders already.

Last edited by RickJay; 01-11-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:06 PM

From what I hear, the name Castro is not a popular one in Miami.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 01-13-2018, 08:33 AM

So the Yanks resolved all 8 potential arbitration deals in the last 2 days and the remaining money below this years luxury tax limit is around $20.7 million. That is taking $14m into account for Est. Player Benefits. Numbers I'm using are from Cot's. At some point, one of the Yankee Center Fielders will be traded saving another chunk of money. I still don't think the Yanks will trade for Cole, but they will likely add 1 more player and I think it will be an infielder.

Main Cot's Page: Then pick your team and click on the link towards the top 2018-23 payroll and tax tracker and use the second tab of the spreadsheet. Dodgers Tax Tracker 18.xls

It looks like right now the Red Sox are the only team over: Red Sox Tax Tracker 18.xls but there are only in the 20% penalty year. But there are a lot of Free Agent signings left to be made.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:34 PM

Astros get Gerrit Cole from the Pirates for four young players - Colin Moran (3b who can hit some albeit without that much power), Joe Musgrove (fell apart as a SP his rookie year, then was excellent after he moved to the bullpen), Michael Feliz (hard thrower who spent some time in the majors last year) and OF Jason Martin (about whom I know nothing - from a quick google he's 22 and did okay but not great in AA last year). Not a bad haul for Pittsburgh although none of those guys (except maybe Feliz) projects as an absolute top-level talent.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I wouldn't blame Starlin Castro if he literally shit his pants every day in spring training just to get out of there.

I was overjoyed at this news because it means the Blue Jays, who have long wanted Bruce, can't have him.

I wouldn't give Jay Bruce $39, much less $39 million. He's 31 next year and a heavy, slow power hitter, which is exactly the kind of player who often blows up at 32. Bruce hits home runs but, honestly, he really isn't a noticeably good player:

Jay Bruce WAR By Year In The Last Five Years
2012: 1.9
2013: 5.3
2014: -1.1
2015: 0.8
2016: 0.6
2017: 2.7

I'm inclined to think last year was likely better than any year he'll ever have going forward. The Mets won't get their money's worth. I'm also a little confused as to where Bruce is going to play, since last I checked the Mets have two corner outfielders already.
Agree with you that the under on Bruceís next three years is a heck of a lot more likely than the over. Not a player Iíd especially want on my roster at $13 mil per year...(now watch him hit fifty homers in 2018)

As for position, hereís what I hear:

First, the Mets keep thinking they can turn Michael Conforto into a capable CF (the old ďbut heís really athletic!Ē fallacy.l). Iím dubious, but if they can do it then Bruce joins Cespedes in the corners.

Second, the Mets have given the 1B job to Dominic Smith, pretty much, but the jury is still out as to whether he will be any good. Bruce provides backup if Smith isnít what some say he is.

I donít find either to be a solid justification for signing Bruce, but I suspect thatís what the thinking is.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:59 AM

Just to complicate matters for the Mets, they appear to have added Adrian Gonzalez now to. So 1b suddenly looks pretty full.

The Cole deal looks pretty good for the Astros. The prospect package looks a lot lower than what the Pirates had been said to be looking for.