Old 09-23-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I'm genuinely curious as to why octopus is not on everyone's ignore list.
Because it's impossible to make "everyone" do anything no matter how sensible it might be and those people can't be persuaded to STOP QUOTING THE LITTLE SHITNUGGET so one's personal ignore list is essentially meaningless in terms of avoidance of annoyance.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:55 PM

Alright, I've given the subject a bit more thought. You folks do have a legitimate point in that people born a certain way have not asked for that condition and it's poor form to use those conditions as an attack on others. I will try not to use those words as insults in the future. Do me a favor though. Think about the words you use to insult others and try to show some of the empathy that you demand of others.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:02 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
When someone says I molest my own children, as drunky has, I find it hard to muster sympathy for what he is called.

All mental traits are part of one's physical structure. Why is idiot, moron, stupid, low iq, etc or other traits that are manifestations of one's brain structure acceptable?
Someone used a generic insult, so you should be able to use racial slurs. Seriously, that's how poor your arguments are. They are truly terrible. It's incredibly tedious needing to explain things that most people.learn somewhere in adolecense.

And that's why people don't engage with you most times. That's why I hardly ever do. So the only folks that engage you are those that just want to insult you, or who they themselves haven't yet or are unable to figure out that doing so is worthless. You are seeing self selecting responses that make you think everyone is a certain way. But that's not so, it's just you've forfeited any potential goodwill and you will never get any respect anywhere on the boards.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I'm genuinely curious as to why octopus is not on everyone's ignore list.
I don't ignore people here on the Dope. Not sure if I ever did except as an experiment at one point long ago. It doesn't work well anyway. Most of the idiots I just manually ignore, especially as I don't venture into GD much anymore.

I also seem to have a higher tolerance. Never had a real issue with Shodan or Clothahump as 2 long time examples that people bitch about. Octopus is newish to me, but I'm sure I'll forget him again at some point. So no need to ignore. I think he is just a troll, so the problem will probably resolve shortly anyway. Or maybe it is Annoyed that is just a troll. I don't keep lists on these posters.

I think I actually find BigT more annoying in many ways. He doesn't seem to be a troll but acts a lot like one as he can't help himself. He pops up all over the forums and all I remember is finger wagging and jr. modding. He still hasn't come back to show me how wrong I am and how he contributes to the forum. Kind of how Liberal use to get to me.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Someone used a generic insult, so you should be able to use racial slurs. Seriously, that's how poor your arguments are. They are truly terrible. It's incredibly tedious needing to explain things that most people.learn somewhere in adolecense.

And that's why people don't engage with you most times. That's why I hardly ever do. So the only folks that engage you are those that just want to insult you, or who they themselves haven't yet or are unable to figure out that doing so is worthless. You are seeing self selecting responses that make you think everyone is a certain way. But that's not so, it's just you've forfeited any potential goodwill and you will never get any respect anywhere on the boards.
Accusation of molesting one's children is a generic insult? Say that to someone in the real world compared to insulting someone's mental status and what do you think the difference in response would be?
Old 09-23-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Alright, I've given the subject a bit more thought. You folks do have a legitimate point in that people born a certain way have not asked for that condition and it's poor form to use those conditions as an attack on others. I will try not to use those words as insults in the future. Do me a favor though. Think about the words you use to insult others and try to show some of the empathy that you demand of others.
I don't have empathy, nor do I demand it of others. Do I still have to think about the words I use to insult others?
Old 09-23-2019, 06:17 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
Accusation of molesting one's children is a generic insult? Say that to someone in the real world compared to insulting someone's mental status and what do you think the difference in response would be?
Back to the group of posters who will never get a response from me.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I don't have empathy, nor do I demand it of others. Do I still have to think about the words I use to insult others?
Probably just a little.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
How do I explain any of the ridiculous behavior in the pit?

How would you explain to your kids pit behavior?
You're the one who made your kids an issue in the first place. You're the one should be answering that.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:28 PM

Besides, nobody's forcing you to post in the Pit. If you hate it so much, and think it's so disgusting, (as you keep whining), stay out of it. There are plenty of people who don't even lurk here.

You're either a total masochist, or a troll. And I think it's pretty obvious which one.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
You're the one who made your kids an issue in the first place. You're the one should be answering that.
Hello Guinastasia!

Forget the kids. How would you explain the ridiculousness of the pit to any rational person?
Old 09-23-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Probably just a little.
That seems like a lot of thinking. I'd rather just try not to insult people.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I could explain much of the Pit easily to my kids. Not all of it, though. The foul language would be the easiest part, frankly. And if I were concerned about the small children looking over my shoulder- I just would stay out of the Pit entirely, or at least while they were awake.

Last edited by raventhief; 09-23-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:56 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
How would you explain the ridiculousness of the pit to any rational person?
"It's the internet," would seem to cover it.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Hello Guinastasia!

Forget the kids. How would you explain the ridiculousness of the pit to any rational person?
this sounds like some "a fight starts with the second punch" kind of bullshit.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
this sounds like some "a fight starts with the second punch" kind of bullshit.
Not at all. Apparently, punching back makes one an irredeemable troll. While constructing the arena and throwing first punches unrelentingly, for many many years, is a Ďsafety valve.í
Old 09-23-2019, 11:47 PM

By the time I was old enough to read, I had already learned most of those words -- mainly from being around my grandmother.

Quote:
Hello Guinastasia!

Why does anyone have to explain anything? It's an internet forum. That's it. The internet tends to bring out peoples' inner fuckwad.

And you sure spend a lot of time here for someone who hates it so much. THAT'S what I'd consider "ridiculous".

Quote:
When someone says I molest my own children, as drunky has, I find it hard to muster sympathy for what he is called.
When the fuck did he say you molest your own kids?
Old 09-24-2019, 08:07 AM

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...light=Octotard

Apparently, I remembered it wrong or it I’m remembering it from another post. Regardless, poor little Drunky also made the title double “tard”ed. Not surprisingly, I didn’t find any pompous lecture chastising the title or the post. I guess the language is only objectionable when convenient. It’s a bit like Trudeau with the blackface. Some animals are more equal than others. Now maybe Drunky didn’t mean what he said. I’ve said things I probably shouldn’t have. Some even directed at you.

To clarify about the pit hatred thing: it’s not that I hate the pit. It’s that I think it’s counterproductive. I think it does the exact opposite of its stated intent. Maybe there is a secret intent that it actually fulfills. Hopefully I used that colon right. I’m trying to expand from .s and ,s.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:31 AM

The 4th post is specifically calling out the tard suffix as problematic. He doesn't come back in, repeating the insult. But more to the point, to my knowledge, drunky doesn't tsk about foul language, and protecting his kids from the Pit, and then use autistic and retard as insults.

Yeah, this is totally about "more animals are equal than others," sure.

Last edited by raventhief; 09-24-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
To clarify about the pit hatred thing: itís not that I hate the pit. Itís that I think itís counterproductive. I think it does the exact opposite of its stated intent. Maybe there is a secret intent that it actually fulfills. Hopefully I used that colon right. Iím trying to expand from .s and ,s.
You fucking love the abuse and thrive on the negative attention. You're a masochist; everybody knows. Own it, ya freak.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
To clarify about the pit hatred thing: itís not that I hate the pit. Itís that I think itís counterproductive. I think it does the exact opposite of its stated intent. Maybe there is a secret intent that it actually fulfills. Hopefully I used that colon right. Iím trying to expand from .s and ,s.
I'd say that's a perfect use of a colon; next, try semi-colons, they can be tough to master .

Apologies for the hijack.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

You...you know you don't have to post here, right? Plenty of folks on this message board never post in the pit. I assume many don't even read here. It's a bit odd to me that you rail against this sub-forum and yet post so often here. Kind of a "the food is terrible and the portions are so small" thing. You rail that pit posters are evil and yet you ARE a pit poster.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:22 PM

It's hard to top this. There's not even any F bombs or nothing.

Quote:

Old 09-24-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
You...you know you don't have to post here, right? Plenty of folks on this message board never post in the pit. I assume many don't even read here. It's a bit odd to me that you rail against this sub-forum and yet post so often here. Kind of a "the food is terrible and the portions are so small" thing. You rail that pit posters are evil and yet you ARE a pit poster.
Itís a character flaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
It's hard to top this. There's not even any F bombs or nothing.
Itís pretty good. I give it 4/5 BigTs.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
you will never get any respect anywhere on the boards.
Lol. The petís pathologies on full display.