Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
The problem is that Alabama is not an island unto itself. Her farmers have to compete with farmers in neighboring states and neighboring countries. Significantly increase their costs, while everyone else's costs stay the same just makes them uncompetitive. They are uncompetitive, they go out of business, and a significant industry in the state goes belly up.

Which is exactly what's happening. I'm not going to argue whether or not that's an acceptable result, but it's unfair to criticize the farmer for not wanting to pay enough for labor. Unless we think these farmers are letting their crop rot and their business crash and burn, rather than reduce their ample profits by paying a "market wage".

Farmers are going to pay whatever they can afford, whatever is going to ultimately net them a profit when they sell their crop. It certainly makes more sense than tilling your rotten crop back into the soil.
Hmm, I'm surprised no-one has replied to this.

I agree that it is unfair to put the blame completely on the farmer, which was perhaps implied by Ibn Warraq, so your initial objection was valid.

But I don't think the market gives anyone free license to do anything. There are countries that make use of child labour. Should we be allowed to do the same, to compete?