Old 02-13-2011, 03:19 PM
BANNED

And now: Yemen and the "Pink Revolution"

A government that already had three insurgencies to deal with (al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula; Shi'ite secessionists in the northwest; South Yemen secessionists in the southeast) now has protesters marching in the capital. They are wearing pink ribbons to express non-violent intent. Can that go anywhere?
Old 02-13-2011, 06:02 PM

I hear the Susan G Komen foundation is writing cease and desist letters as we speak.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:42 AM

The Yemeni leader has already done the "I won't run again, so calm down y'all... Oh, hey, the people want me so much, I'm forced to reverse my decision" trick in 1999 and 2005. There's a big well of distrust on his promises from the opposition.

Yemen has a lot of very interesting things going on in it, with all the connotations that can imply. Zaidi Shiism is quite different from Twelver Shiism in Iran. The reunification of North and South Yemen have had lasting repercussions with North Yemen and Saleh dominating the South.

Yemen has a big problem with their local drug of choice and national cash crop, qat. Lots of protesters leave by afternoon for their fix. Qat is a huge part of the economy and daily life.

My Arab friends are all looking at Algeria right now as the most likely next domino.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tao's Revenge View Post
I hear the Susan G Komen foundation is writing cease and desist letters as we speak.
I think they'll only get pissed if they call it "Revolution for the Cure".
Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 PM
BANNED

Hmm. Yemen protests continuing for sixth day; at least one death.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ņaņi View Post
Yemen has a big problem with their local drug of choice and national cash crop, qat. Lots of protesters leave by afternoon for their fix. Qat is a huge part of the economy and daily life.
Quote:
"After I chew I can't go out. When I chew qat, the whole world is mine. I feel like a king," said Mohammed al-Qadimi, a student who has attended Yemen rallies but said it would be hard to motivate himself to protest all day.
Hm. Never even heard of that stuff before. (Is it street-sold anywhere in the U.S.?)
Old 02-16-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
Hm. Never even heard of that stuff before. (Is it street-sold anywhere in the U.S.?)
I've tried it in Yemen (one of the most interesting places I have ever been). It tastes like leaves and takes a long time to have much effect... it is quite mild, but most Yemenis spend a large percentage of their lives in a qat-induced state.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Minneapolis is a good bet, or anywhere else with a substantial Somali community.

Apparently it's pretty expensive to import because nobody's figured out a good way to dry it so you pretty much have to refrigerate it.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Probably, but imagine drinking a dozen coffee's one after the other. The effects are somewhat similar. I've tried the stuff when I was there and all I got for my troubles was cuts on my gums (not one told me to remove the stems, D'oh!).
The issue is that people use what little money they have to buy the stuff that they don't have much left over for food. Plus the water usage and the loss of revenue from crops that could be sold externally.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
Probably, but imagine drinking a dozen coffee's one after the other.
Hmf! "Imagine" indeed! You're talking to Dopers here!
Old 02-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hmf! "Imagine" indeed! You're talking to Dopers here!
Yes, I do imagine they have the same glassy eyed stare of the habitual qat chewer. It helps explain some of the posts I've seen over the years....
Link
Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 PM
BANNED

Imagine a "cud cocktail" of qat, betel leaves, coca leaves and chewing terbacky . . . Wonder what effect that would have?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:59 PM
BANNED

And now look what has happened to this thread.

I blame the Yemenis. People of Yemen! At this unique moment in the glorious history of your country, you have also a duty to the wider world! A duty to keep us entertained with drama and/or carnage every fucking day until sweeps week! Spit out the qat and drag yourselves to the barricades! This is your chance to create a world where one American in four actually knows where Yemen is!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 AM
BANNED

It just occurred to me: Does the multitude of discontented factions in the streets of Yemen include any Communists?

I ask only because South Yemen was a Communist country from 1970 to 1990 (when it was merged with North Yemen); presumably the ideology must have had some measure of on-the-ground popularity. Does it still?

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 02-18-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 PM
BANNED

Now that's more like it!

Quote:
19 February

Several anti-government protesters have been injured in clashes with supporters of Yemen's President, as both sides fired pistols and assault rifles, the first reported use of firearms by demonstrators. Five Saleh opponents were wounded by gunfire, three of them seriously, and three were wounded when demonstrators threw stones at each other outside the university. Around 1,000 anti-government demonstrators chanted "Leave! Leave!" and "The people want the fall of the regime!", and between 200 and 300 Saleh supporters called for dialogue.[49]

In south Yemen, where resentment of rule from Sanaa runs high, dozens of men used their cars in the town of Karish to block the main road between Taiz and the southern port city of Aden, shouting for "the fall of the regime". In Aden as many as 400 protesters staged a peaceful sit-in, holding banners saying: "No to oppression. No to corruption". The local council of Sheikh Othman, a directorate in Aden, said in a statement it resigned in protest at the use of live bullets by security forces against protesters which led to deaths and injuries in the city on Friday. In Sanaa, the editor of the defence ministry newspaper was wounded when he was beaten and stabbed by anti-government protesters.[49]

20-21 February

Protests continued as students started a sit-in at Sana'a University.[50] Tents have also been set up in front of Sana'a University gate. Some tribes representatives came from Arhab, Nahm, Anis (in Dhamar), Shabwah, and Abyan to support the peaceful protests by showing up some of the Yemeni dance with the students. Students from Al-Razi institute declared a sit-in as well.[51][52]

22 February

Anti-government protesters in Yemen have resumed demonstrations, burning a car belonging to Saleh's supporters in the capital. Thousands rallied at a university campus while hundreds continued to camp out in a nearby square. Protesters also set up checkpoints around the Sana'a square and searched those trying to enter. As anti-government protesters carried on, Saleh's supporters, armed with daggers and batons, clashed violently with students, before police intervened, five people being hurt in the confrontation. Demonstrators also marched in the eastern town of Ash Shihr, chanting "Down, down with Saleh". In Taiz thousands of protesters marched in the Safir square. Hundreds have been camping in the square for at least a week, having renamed it "Freedom Square". In the port city of Aden, schools closed, most government employees were not working and many shops were closed as hundreds gathered for another round of protests. A spokesman for the opposition has rebuffed Saleh's offer of dialogue and an influential group of Muslim religious leaders has called for a national unity government that would lead the country to elections.[53]
Sounds like they put down the qat and discovered coke!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:56 PM
BANNED

President Saleh offers new constitution to be submitted to referendum at year's end; opposition rejects offer and demands Saleh go.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM
BANNED

As protests continue, Yemen clamps down on foreign media.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:52 AM

Now that the media is concentrated on Japan, is the right time everywhere to clamp down on anything. Not sure it's working thou, we still hear about it.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 PM
BANNED

Protest crackdown in Sanaa kills 41; President Saleh declares state of emergency and national curfew.

Like that's gonna work.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:11 PM
BANNED

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out

On one hand now that the UN is going to impose a no-fly zone on Libya, it shows that the UN will do something. So this may mean those in charge of dictatorial regimes in the Mideast (and elsewhere) will want to quash any source of protest, before, so a no-fly zone won't be put on it

Or it may mean that the other regimes realize the West can only do so many no-fly zones at once so they have nothing to fear as the West isn't going to be able to do that everywhere
Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 PM
BANNED

Saleh has offered to step down by the end of the year, but it's not enough for the protesters. He warns of "civil war" if he is forced from office. Some military officers have defected. So, civil war it might be . . .
Old 03-25-2011, 11:43 AM
BANNED

The protesters call today the "Day of Departure"; thousands march; Saleh remains defiant.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
BANNED

It just occurred to me: What position should the U.S. be taking here? I mean, Saleh is a scumbag dictator like the rest, but in this case al-Qaeda really is a force among the opposition.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:46 PM

The side of justice and democracy. The best way to disassemble Al-Qaeda is to defang it. Be on the side of the people, the downtrodden, those who want freedom.

Stand up to our own ideals. And you'll see Al-Qaeda crumble and vanish.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 AM
BANNED

Crisis over . . . or not . . .

Quote:
Ali Abdullah Saleh, Yemen's embattled president has welcomed Gulf "efforts" to end his country's political crisis, according to a statement from his office.

"In compliance with statements (he) made several times ...the president has no reservation against transferring power peacefully and smoothly within the framework of the constitution," said the presidential statement on Monday.

But it fell short of saying clearly whether he accepted a direct Gulf Co-operation Council (GCC) proposal calling on Saleh to step down and ensure a peaceful transition of power to his deputy, Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi.

'Within the constitution'

Al Jazeera's correspondent reported from Sanaa "This has always been his position - the key words are 'within the constitution' which could either mean through elections at the end of the year or if he chooses to resign it must be accepted by parliament.

"In which case, as we saw with emergency law few weeks ago, he can easily swing to make sure they don't accept his resignation."

Mahjoob Zweiri, professor of Middle Eastern history at Qatar University, told Al Jazeera "It is very difficult to say that what he (Saleh ) is saying now is a positive response to the (GCC) initiative."

Opposition leaders will be meeting later on Monday to discuss the terms of the GCC plan.

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 04-11-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:24 AM
BANNED

Saleh rejects yet another transition-of-power deal; fiercest fighting yet breaks out.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

I just hope my friends who still live there make out okay. Crazy stuff, but not unforeseen. Too many people with too many guns, too much corruption, not enough resources, and one crazy assed religion don't a good mix make.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I just hope my friends who still live there make out okay. Crazy stuff, but not unforeseen. Too many people with too many guns, too much corruption, not enough resources, and one crazy assed religion don't a good mix make.
Is there any place in the MENA where the mix is different? What you're saying even describes Israel, except for the corruption.

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 05-23-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:44 PM

Things are on fire in Yemen. Tribes taking apart government buildings with RPGs and mortars.

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/cae6...7985a5a29a15a4
Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is there any place in the MENA where the mix is different? What you're saying even describes Israel, except for the corruption.
I should clarify that Yemen has quite a few resources, but no one wants to invest because of the corruption and risk. Other places don't have the same level of issues, or they have a way to manage many of them.
Yemen's oil production is falling and as that brings in 90% of the revenue for the country that is a major problem because certain regions are the ones to feel the crunch moreso than those closer to the people in power. They already don't trust the government and seeing the crack down around the country just encites them even more.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:21 AM
BANNED

6 Yemen soldiers ambushed and killed in "al-Qaeda-held town" of Zinjibar. Not government propaganda, al-Qaeda appears to control the town at the moment. Who are we rooting for in this, again?!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:02 PM
BANNED

Yemen crisis deepens, dozens killed in street battles, foreigners urged to leave.

I'm thinking this is going to get a lot uglier before it's over.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:25 AM
BANNED

Opposition shells presidential palace in Sana.

So much for "pink" = "nonviolent intent."
Old 06-04-2011, 08:04 PM
BANNED

President Saleh arrives in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, for medical treatment. Apparently he was wounded -- in the head*, rumor has it -- in the attack on the presidential palace mentioned above. He has not been seen on TV since the attack, though he has been heard on the radio (sounding rather weak, apparently).

* I've read some American Protestant End-Times tracts, Jack Chick for one, where the Beast miraculously heals from a massive headwound, which is used to prove his divinity. If Saleh even comes back from Riyadh . . .
Old 06-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If Saleh even comes back from Riyadh
He's taking a chance if he wants to retain power by leaving if it is the force of his personality that is maintaining the current government. It might be the excuse he needs to bow out 'gracefully'.

Last edited by Uzi; 06-04-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
He's taking a chance if he wants to retain power by leaving if it is the force of his personality that is maintaining the current government. It might be the excuse he needs to bow out 'gracefully'.
Well, the protesters seem to think they've won already. They're dancing in the streets.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, I do imagine they have the same glassy eyed stare of the habitual qat chewer. It helps explain some of the posts I've seen over the years....
Link
Great gallery.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Sources: Yemeni head Saleh has collapsed lung, burns over 40% of body

Maybe he won't return. I wonder which 'dictator' will replace him?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:18 AM
BANNED

It ain't over yet . . .

Quote:
A coalition of Yemeni opposition parties has offered to talk with the country's vice-president about a political transition, but a high-ranking government source says no dialogue can take place until president Ali Abdullah Saleh returns to Yemen.

Sources from the Joint Meeting Parties (JMP) told Al Jazeera on Monday they were willing to talk with Abdu-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, Yemen's acting leader, about a transition.

Hadi was tasked with running the government after Saleh left for medical treatment in Saudi Arabia earlier this week.

But a source close to Saleh dismissed the JMP's offer as "ridiculous," and said no political dialogue could take place until Saleh returned. "Saleh is still the president of Yemen," the source said.

"The answer of the government was the following, that Saleh remains the ultimate constitutional authority of the government ... So basically, they are telling them 'sorry, we are not going to talk about it'," Al Jazeera's Hashem Ahelbarra said about the government's response.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:31 AM
BANNED

OK, if the U.S. is bombing (some of) the rebels/opposition in Yemen (specifically, al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula), does that mean we're . . . on Saleh's side, here?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I think it means we're against al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Elephant Whisperer

BBC just reported the CIA is going to start operating armed drones to attack al-Qaeda in Yemen.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 AM
BANNED

Saleh makes his first TV appearance since he left Yemen for SA:

Quote:
Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh, his face burned and his hands covered with bandages, has appeared on television for the first time since he was wounded in a bomb attack on his palace in Sanaa.

Saleh, who was hospitalised in Saudi Arabia after the June 3 attack, said he had undergone "more than eight successful operations" and called for dialogue in his speech broadcast on Yemeni television on Thursday.

In his brief address, recorded in Saudi Arabia, he said those who have sought to drive him from power had an "incorrect understanding of democracy".

More than four months of popular uprising seeking to push the longtime ruler from power have shaken the impoverished Arabian peninsula country.

Saleh said he welcomed power sharing as long as it was within the country's constitutional framework.

State television showed fireworks lighting up the sky above the capital at the end of Saleh's speech, as the president's supporters celebrated his appearance.
Yeah, well, fireworks are cheap, and so are crowds.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:15 PM

Another one gone

Wonderful news yesterday. Only a matter of time til Awlaqi eats it. What's the over/under on December?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Something had better start happening soon somewhere. You've heard of the Arab Spring? In the local English-language press over here, they're already starting to refer to the Arab Fall, saying the failures in places like Bahrain and slowness of the Libyan action is pointing to Tunisia and Egypt just being anomalies.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Heh. The rebels are getting closer and closer to Tripoli. I believe that they could win on their own, now. It'd be bloody, but possible.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Something had better start happening soon somewhere. You've heard of the Arab Spring? In the local English-language press over here, they're already starting to refer to the Arab Fall, saying the failures in places like Bahrain and slowness of the Libyan action is pointing to Tunisia and Egypt just being anomalies.
Dude, this caught fire even in Syria; the only greater astonishment would be if it happened in SA. And it will eventually, now. Remember, all these people speak Arabic. They can't be kept in ignorance of what happens the next country over, the borders are too long to control that tightly. Tunisia and Egypt are going to get to work building their new governments and the whole Arab world is going to be watching, closely, every step of the way. That means ordinary people watching and commenting and forming opinions and getting used to the idea that they get to form opinions and once that starts it's really hard to stop.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I hope you're right, although that's what they said in 1848. Except for the speaking the same language part.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:53 AM
BANNED

Looks like the Yemeni government finally found some internal allies, at least against a common enemy -- al-Qaeda.

Quote:
Sanaa, Yemen (CNN) -- Fighting flared in Yemen's volatile south Saturday, as security forces -- backed by armed tribesmen -- battled Islamic militants in the region, eyewitnesses said.

Hundreds of tribesmen joined the fight in the town of Zinjibar, vowing to stand strong until Islamic militants leave Abyan province.

"We will not stop until the terrorists leave the province. We will fight and have nothing to lose," said Masood Mansoor, one of the fighters. "This land is ours and we will not allow it to be a safe haven from outlaws."

Government troops have been battling both anti-government tribal forces and Islamic militants, including al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

A senior security official in Zinjibar said the clashes began Saturday night and were the fiercest yet in the weeks-long fight against the militants. The official, who asked not to be named because he was not authorized to speak to the media, said several militants were killed or wounded, but couldn't give exact numbers.

"The clashes are nonstop and the forces are surrounding the militants from all directions," the official said.

The United States has been aiding Yemen's military in its fight against Islamic militants amid fears that al Qaeda is exploiting the political chaos and leadership vacuum engulfing the unstable and impoverished Arabian Peninsula country.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:17 PM
BANNED

Saleh finally returns to Yemen, calls for a cease-fire. Meanwhile, 18 more protesters were killed the same day.