Old 12-10-2017, 02:15 PM

God damn, the Red Zone channel is brutal. I watched my running back get overlooked for a walk in TD so the QB could sneak it in, my kicker miss his second kick of the day, then cut to a game where my WR (that I was forced into starting due to a blizzard in another city) was ruled out after an injury early in the 1st half. Welp
Old 12-10-2017, 02:29 PM

Yeah, not looking great for you, but it's a very close game with Petey and I.

SAVE ME JOSH GORDON
Old 12-10-2017, 03:42 PM

Well shit, Jules was projected at 15% to win at one point but now he's up to 53%.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:49 PM

My team is CRUSHING it.

Jordan Howard, Davante Adams, Adam Thielen, Matt Stafford (whom I should have benched in favor of Keenum)...with Fournette and Robby Anderson yet to play.

Anyone that had the foresight to pick up Robby Anderson over a month ago has been handsomely rewarded. That dude has been incredible.

Last edited by FoieGrasIsEvil; 12-10-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

??? In the Dynasty league I own Keenum and I should have started Prescott.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2017, 01:40 PM

I know it's not as impressive as Beef's run, but this will be the first year that I don't qualify for the playoffs or the consolation tournament.

Guess it's finally time to blow it all up and start over.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:40 PM

It appears Stringer is going to come from behind and overtake Retro in the last minute for his division.

Ellis just needs a few points out of Landry to beat Jules, but I'm probably not going to win making it moot. I'd need Kenyan Drake to go crazy. I really could've used Gronk this game if his dumb ass didn't get suspended. That probably would've pushed me over the edge.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 12-11-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:37 AM

Wow an incredible backdoor playoff appearance for the We Do HGHs. I'm pretty sure this is my last year in this league, hoping to go out with a bang.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:45 AM

Clearly, it was premature to think my season was over after losing the division lead. I didn't anticipate losing three of four to end the season and still making the playoffs.

I wonder what my prospects for the playoffs are. My projections will be competitive with anyone's, but Yahoo's ideas and a dollar will buy me an Arizona tea. Anything can happen once you're in the playoffs, I guess. Even if my season were to end this coming weekend, I think this would have to be considered a successful one. I'm really looking forward to this upcoming offseason. I anticipate being very active leading up to the draft.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:52 AM

God Damnit. Elliott's suspension was too big a loss to handle.

I actually turned down 3 different trade offers for him, thinking that I owed it to keep him for a late playoff push. He then decided to keep appealing and the date kept getting pushed back.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:53 AM

Sorry to hear that Stringer. Hope you change your mind.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Wow an incredible backdoor playoff appearance for the We Do HGHs. I'm pretty sure this is my last year in this league, hoping to go out with a bang.
Any particular reason you're leaving? Might be tough if we have to replace Varlos too next year.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 12-12-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:54 PM

I'm not favored to win this week - for the first time since Week 2. This would be a really good time for Jordan Reed to come back, as I've played almost the whole season with TE streamers. They were panning out from time to time, but there's always been the risk of a dud (as with ASJ last week).
Quote:
Disappointed to hear that.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Any particular reason you're leaving? Might be tough if we have to replace Varlos too next year.
My heart is less and less into fantasy football with each passing year, and I feel like the rules we've ended up with have some major issues. I also made some mistake drops on the mobile app this year by accident that I didn't realize until it was way too late.

The draft is extremely complicated with the way pick swapping and cuts and trading future picks works. Posts like this make me not even want to bother trading my picks because it can be so hard to figure out.

The keeper/roster rules in general I think have led to a pretty stagnant league. With no penalty to keep anyone, there is very little incentive for rebuilding teams to jettison anyone at the deadline unless that player is a veteran literally on his last legs. I am sure a good bit of this is my own fault since I've struggled in the last couple years to find trades with how top-heavy my team is. AB and OBJ are basically untradeble with how our league works and the rest of my team isn't good or deep enough to really make trades. I can dangle future picks, but this league has very tepid interest in mid/late 1st rounders. I'm impressed Jules Andre has been able to grind so hard on making trades since joining, I definitely don't have that kind of skill.

Also the commish quit the league and might win in absentia! Just seems like a good time for me to walk away while my team is still good enough to get a replacement owner.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the sout out, Stringer. I don't know if skill is the right word, but grind definitely is. I, too, will be sad to see you go if you decide to do so. When I joined this league, you were one of the targets I had set to beat since you were so consistently good.

I agree with you about the draft rules for this league. Things have gotten unnecessarily complex, and I'll be proposing we implement the system I laid out earlier this year during the draft in this thread. We need specifically defined "phases" in which draft picks are assigned, before being able to be traded, and then all trades need to resolve individually and cleanly before more get piled on. We have a system now where each trade has to be balanced, and yet somehow we end up with situations where we don't know who has what picks? That should be impossible. Our system is too poorly codified to be tenable.

I've also had the same concerns with dynasty leagues that you mentioned, which is why I declined joining this league under my old username when the league first started. For the past couple years, I've been working on designing a new rules system for a custom league that would fix the stagnation, allow for far more roster management, and add in actual game-day strategy. Not just start/sit decisions, but scouting your opponent and actually playing against them. I have all the rules laid out, I just don't know if they can actually be implemented within Yahoo, or any site at all.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

It's interesting that my dynasty fantasy hockey league has also seemed to fall into a rut where it is so hard for teams at the bottom to improve. At least in the NFL, careers tend to be shorter and there are usually a few rookies making an impact.

I agree that the draft and trades can be frustratingly complicated and that's made more so because just about every team has a few players that are always on the NFL bubble and that period around the last preseason games has guys getting cut, brought back, or picked up by other teams. And, the later rounds of the draft often feature crap shoots (at least for me) based on what preseason games I've seen or if I think a guy is likely to get a roster spot because he can play special teams.

I know the offline draft format can get insane, especially since it's August and many people are taking vacations. I'm hoping to be off night shift next year so at least I should be able to speed up my draft picks and not be making picks at 1 am CT.

Anyway, I'd like to see this league keep running, I've had awful luck this year and I'm eager to have a good playoff run...one year!
Old 12-15-2017, 05:13 PM

Semi-finals:

1. Nine Inch Neils vs 4. HungryHungryHaruspex
2. Varlos' Zzzzzzz vs 3. We Do HGH

What's especially painful is that the circumstances lined up right to get Rodgers back this week, so if I could've squeaked into the playoffs I'd have a decent chance.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:09 PM

As it turns out, you didn't have a chance. If Matt Ryan has a halfway decent game I might break the scoring record this week.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2017, 07:13 PM

That works. I prefer to be blown out (or hypothetically blown out) rather than second guess every little thing I did.

It will be kind of silly if Varlos ends up winning.

I actually screwed up a touch on his roster management - I last updated his roster Thursday and I guess the projections changed a bit since then. If I had adjusted them this morning as I usually do, he'd have started Newton over Goff and Cobb over Anderson. But since he's going to win and that would just give him another 33 points or so it's irrelevant.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:11 PM

hahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 12-18-2017, 08:14 AM

I'm actually kind of terrified about patting Varlos next week. Had he put up fewer than 130 in the second half of the season?

Old 12-21-2017, 02:09 PM

Nine Inch Neils defeats HungryHungryHaruspex by a bit

Absentee Varlos beats We Do HGH

Championship game

RNATB vs Varlos

Third place game

Jules vs Stringer
Old 12-24-2017, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Varlos is starting Emmanuel Sanders who was ruled out yesterday. Is this going to stand or will a substitution be allowed? I know it's a screwy week with the weird NFL schedule plus Christmas Eve.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:12 PM

Sorry. I wasn't at a computer this morning. I'll sub in the highest player.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:20 PM

Randall Cobb was the next highest up but it only added a 3 point difference. Reflected in the roster now.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Randall Cobb was the next highest up but it only added a 3 point difference. Reflected in the roster now.
I was wondering why his score went up. I can't say I'm thrilled but I guess everyone else who played him had to deal. Let's go Alshon Jeffrey!

Old 12-25-2017, 11:58 PM

Well it ended up not mattering. The win margin was higher than the extra points.

Varlos defeats RNATB and is our 2017 champion.

Hopefully at some point he will become aware of this.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:52 AM

Well, shit. My team crapped the bed at the worst possible time.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:44 AM

Ah, leave it to 2017 to give us the truly stupidest outcome.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Well, in an overall lousy year for me, the Gurley trade worked out just fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2017, 12:37 PM

The worst part is I basically lost by kicker - 14 K points for Varlos, 5 for me. Can't really complain since I had by far the highest-scoring kicker in the league until he went on IR this week.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:17 AM

Varlos winning with a placeholder owner makes this season all the more frustrating and baffling.

Somehow a season which ended exactly where I expected turned out being one of the most disappointing seasons I've ever had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Well, in an overall lousy year for me, the Gurley trade worked out just fine!
Glad to hear it! I think it worked out for me, too, even if I lost the trade for this season. It'll be interesting to see, over the next few years, whether I would have gotten more benefit from Gurley than what I got for him, which ended up being Fournette and Amari Cooper.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:13 AM

Heading to free agency: Titans will release Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Andre View Post
1.04 - Derrick Henry, RB, Ten

...Henry has popped off the screen from the first preseason game, and Tennessee has noticed. This will be a 50/50 RBBC within the first half of the season. I expect Henry to be an RB1 stud by 2018 at the latest when Murray is 30 and can be cut without any cap hit. ...
That was from 2016. Behold, my awesome powers. I got DeMarco Murray cut from the Titans two years in advance. I may have missed the first part (or so...) of that prediction, but only by a year. And only because I wanted to throw you all off the scent.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:01 PM

Allen Robinson also got free agency. I feel like he could have a huge rebound in the right place - when he had his mediocre year it was because like 40% of the balls thrown his way were uncatchable.

Browns just traded for Jarvis Landry, not sure what the cost was. That's probably good for the Browns, he's a pretty high floor guy. Hope it boosts Gordon's value since they're in very different roles. A lot of targets for the Browns now - Gordon, Coleman, Landry, Njoku, maybe Pryor coming back - although that seems less likely now.

Gotta do that thing where you get someone who can throw the ball.

Edit: Literally within 1 minute of posting this, the news breaks that the Browns traded for Tyrod Taylor. Not sure what to make of that.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 03-09-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

So looking back at the QBs from this draft.

Kizer...gone, never to be heard from again.
Mahomes...never heard from, but with Alex Smith gone the experiment will likely begin.
Watson...nice start. But then, you know. We'll see what the recovery looks like.
Trubisky...at least in year 1, I absolutely made the right call. Optimism is still sky-high in Chicago and he may actually have someone to throw to this year. Plus, Luck never played a snap and may never be the same so my need was legitimately dire.

This years draft will be interesting as well. What's the draft order?
Old 03-12-2018, 08:53 AM

You "absolutely made the right call" by passing over a guy who had the best seven games of any rookie in NFL history... for a guy who averaged 183 passing yards per game and had a 7/7 TD split? Ooookay.

ETA: Beef, I think Taylor is a one- or two-year fill-in because the Browns know the QBs at the top of this draft aren't ready to play right away.

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 03-12-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
You "absolutely made the right call" by passing over a guy who had the best seven games of any rookie in NFL history... for a guy who averaged 183 passing yards per game and had a 7/7 TD split? Ooookay.
You left out the important qualifier. If I'd have had Watson I'd have had ZERO starting QBs in Weeks 8-16.

In spite of Watson's numbers, I still like my pick going forward. Availability matters and QBs like Watson get hurt a lot more than QBs like Trubisky.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
You left out the important qualifier. If I'd have had Watson I'd have had ZERO starting QBs in Weeks 8-16.

In spite of Watson's numbers, I still like my pick going forward. Availability matters and QBs like Watson get hurt a lot more than QBs like Trubisky.
What is amusing though is that Watson, despite playing in 5 less games, still scored more fantasy points than Trubisky. Hell, Trubisky was right there with powerhouses Trevor Siemian and Brett Hundley.

And Watson was hurt in a non-contact injury during practice. I don't think you get to claim some kind of prescience awareness of injury for that.

I don't want to talk you out of your Trubisky love, by all means start him as often as you can.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I don't want to talk you out of your Trubisky love, by all means start him as often as you can.
I may have no choice.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 PM

Packers cut Jordy Nelson.

My life is over.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:27 PM

Dion Lewis signing with the Titans has to put a bit of a damper on the Derrick Henry excitement.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Dion Lewis signing with the Titans has to put a bit of a damper on the Derrick Henry excitement.
That would be, uh, negative. It's Dion Lewis. They aren't going to give half the carries to a 5'8" back who has never stayed healthy.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:20 AM

Alright, so I'm not sure what's going on with Varlos.

He last posted to this thread on 9/05, then disappeared from the boards. After that, he logged in sometime in late October (checking the last login date on the account), and hadn't been on the board for 6 months.

His account logged on last week. No activity, but that's the last login date listed now. It's possible it wasn't him - maybe someone else has his computer and checked out his history with the account still logged in, who knows.

I'm friends with him on steam - I saw his account on a couple of times and tried to ask if he was alive or what, and got no response. I figured maybe someone inherited his account, but he's bought a few games in recent months which are the sort of games he tended to buy. I tried to ask whoever was on the account to tell us what happened and if he was alright, but never got a reply.

I was worried the worst had happened to him, but you would think that if a friend or relative got his computer they'd at least tell people what happened, especially since I specifically asked. Of course if it's him logging in sporadically but not talking to us, that's also very weird.

So I'm hoping he's okay and he's got some weird story like he went undercover in a Malaysian human trafficking ring, but I have no idea what's up with him. If he doesn't check in within a couple of months we're probably going to have to replace him unfortuntaely. Obviously I'd prefer not to do that, so I hope somehow he makes it back.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:27 AM

I forgot to mention that a few weeks before leaving, Varlos made me co-comissioner, which makes me wonder if he anticipated not being around. He didn't say anything about it.

Related, yahoo opened up leagues for renewal but it doesn't appear that as co-commissioner I have access to that function. Shouldn't be a show stopper - if I can't figure out some way to do it, then we can re-create the league with the same rules and rosters and stuff manually if need be. Or maybe there's some alternative method.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:50 AM
Charter Member

Not a huge deal, but in this league having access to the history and everything is helpful. May be worth sending a query to Yahoo! support to try and get yourself promoted to commissioner. I would guess that this is something that's happened before.

Hopefully he re-engages during the draft this weekend and we can get some clarity...
Old 05-12-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:

So I'm hoping he's okay and he's got some weird story like he went undercover in a Malaysian human trafficking ring, but I have no idea what's up with him. If he doesn't check in within a couple of months we're probably going to have to replace him unfortuntaely. Obviously I'd prefer not to do that, so I hope somehow he makes it back.
There is always the possibility that its not undercover.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:

You didn't even know if Trubisky would be starting from Weeks 8-16 though.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
You didn't even know if Trubisky would be starting from Weeks 8-16 though.
Yes I did. It was a practical lock barring injury. I didn't pick the rookie who started the most games on accident.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Yes I did. It was a practical lock barring injury. I didn't pick the rookie who started the most games on accident.
No. You picked the rookie who threw for over 200 yards in just 3 games and had 7 tds and 7 interceptions on the year.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
No.
Yes I did. You're not entitled to your own facts, who do you think you are, Trump?

Quote:
You picked the rookie who threw for over 200 yards in just 3 games and had 7 tds and 7 interceptions on the year.
I also did this. Which still makes him the most productive rookie QB.