Old 05-15-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Wayback Machine, maybe?
I don't know if she allows indexing. She very much controls her "name brand". She wrote a book, after all. Using posts from both the website and the forum as fodder. Plus some of the more interesting threads have been deleted a few years back when the forum was really being read.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
WTF? Phone books? Really? When was the last time anyone used a phone book to look up a business? Luckily I caught the little shit and gave it back to him. What a waste of trees and effort for something that will end up in the landfill and annoy people.
Most people don't but 90 percent of phone books these days are printed by private advertising companies and there the worst ever cause they only list places that pay them......
Old 05-16-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
Thehere rock garden half is coming along nicely - I moved a bunch of day lilies from the back to the rock garden, and I'm trying out some Christmas decoration mooses (meese?) as the focal points. I have a feeling the clover lawn won't be around much longer either.

My phone books go straight from the front step to the recycling bin - seriously, they need to just stop. Or have an "opt-in" thing for people who actually *do* still want them.
How about an opt-out?

Cat Whisperer, I know you're in Canada, not the States, but you can still opt-out here, instead.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
How about an opt-out?

Cat Whisperer, I know you're in Canada, not the States, but you can still opt-out here, instead.
Whoo hoo! I have opted out! Thanks!
Old 05-16-2018, 02:09 AM

rant:

conservatives. illogic. illiberals. security forces. deaths. gunshots.

all. every. one.

good. bad.

lol
Old 05-16-2018, 02:28 AM

That wasn't comprehensive.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:32 AM

no
Old 05-16-2018, 08:49 AM

Well, at least try2b...
Old 05-16-2018, 09:40 AM

Sounded like a little poem to me.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Whoo hoo! I have opted out! Thanks!
Me too, but I'm afraid that the halfwit who was driving the truck is not going to bother with such things.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Me too, but I'm afraid that the halfwit who was driving the truck is not going to bother with such things.
No, probably not, but hey, at least we tried!
Old 05-16-2018, 01:10 PM

Day seven of no newspaper delivery. After phone calls Monday and yesterday, a guy came to the house and hand delivered both ays. I called the publisher's office again this morning, and the guy just showed up with a hand delivered paper. I told the woman at the publisher's office that I will be calling her tomorrow if we don't get delivery.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:30 PM

I just had a horrible trip to a conference. I've been up now pretty close to non stop for 54+ hours. Too tired to even write a full rant about it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2018, 03:48 PM

They are closing the Lil'Wrekker's dorm for the summer. I have to go help her move her junk to summer digs. She is due to start her summer courses June 1ish. She has a little job too. I told her to find boxes and start packing it up. I know she hasn't done it, I just know. I am gonna get down there and have to do it all by myself. At least it's only one room. Maybe it won't kill me. And then I'll have to move it back in the fall. Jeez, I love my life.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
rant:

conservatives. illogic. illiberals. security forces. deaths. gunshots.

all. every. one.

good. bad.

lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
That wasn't comprehensive.
It wasnít very comprehensible, either.

He probably wasnít trying that hard...
Old 05-16-2018, 04:07 PM

For purposes of drying laundry, mainly sheets (always) and towels (weather permitting), I have a retractable clothesline that stretches across my back yard. It's roughtly 35 feet between where it starts and where the other end attaches, so I bought a 40-foot one. It has an anchor so if I don't need the whole length, which I don't, it won't just collapse under the weight of the laundry on the line.

So. The one I replaced, which lasted 10 years, was fine. The new one, which looks identical, is terrible. I attach it, make it taut, anchor it. At this point it is as high above my head as I can reach. Let's say 7 feet. I hang one bath towel on it. Now it's at face level. I hang another bath towel on it. Neck level. I hang two hand towels on it. Chest level. I hang a bath mat and two washcloths. Waist level.

Keep in mind, before I started hanging things on it, it was a taut as I could get it. This fucking clothesline is STRETCHING. I know it has to have a little bit of stretch in order not to break. The old one did, too.

But damn. If I wanted to drape my laundry across the ground I would not have bought a clothesline!

It sagged so much I thought, "Well, maybe I didn't anchor it and the full 40 feet is coming out." Nope. It's still anchored. I had to find a Y-shaped branch and stick it in the middle of the line to hold it up. It looks pretty tacky, but I guess so does a clothesline in the first place (but nobody can see it except the guys working on my next-door neighbor's roof, and people in my house, who don't care as they are tacky people).
Old 05-16-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
They are closing the Lil'Wrekker's dorm for the summer. I have to go help her move her junk to summer digs. She is due to start her summer courses June 1ish. She has a little job too. I told her to find boxes and start packing it up. I know she hasn't done it, I just know. I am gonna get down there and have to do it all by myself. At least it's only one room. Maybe it won't kill me. And then I'll have to move it back in the fall. Jeez, I love my life.
When my kid pulled that stuff, I'd say "I'll come and help IF you've made a good start packing. If not, I'll go get coffee and wait til you're ready for me to move things. Boxing things up ain't my job, it's yours, kiddo, and I'm not going to reward your procrastination by doing it for you.
Now, where's a good coffee joint nearby? 'Cause I think I'll be spending a good chunk of time there..."

This worked with my daughter, because she'd reply "Nuh-uh, I'm almost all packed!" even though she hadn't started before I'd "dared" her. I knew she'd be spending a late night "cramming" (things into boxes) before I arrived.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:46 PM

Had some friends about 20 years ago who were living in a farmhouse about 5 miles outside a small town, 100 miles from the cities. The husband had been living with friends in the city for a week or something like that after he got a new job and they decided they needed to move back closer to his job.

So he hadn't been home in a week before the move and his wife assured him that everything would be ready. A bunch of us drove down there to help out.

She hadn't packed a damn thing. Apparently assumed that we'd all do it for her, with zero provided boxes. The move consisted of us all just throwing everything unpacked into the backs of our pickup trucks, driving to their new apartment and unloading everything into their living room. People left in a damned hurry after that, because everyone was pissed off at her lack of effort and the amount of work it pushed off onto everyone else.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
<snip>

She hadn't packed a damn thing. Apparently assumed that we'd all do it for her, with zero provided boxes. The move consisted of us all just throwing everything unpacked into the backs of our pickup trucks, driving to their new apartment and unloading everything into their living room. People left in a damned hurry after that, because everyone was pissed off at her lack of effort and the amount of work it pushed off onto everyone else.
I think everyone has stories of showing up to help someone move and they arenít even close to ready. This is one of my least favourite things that other people do - if people are helping you move, theyíre helping you take boxes to the truck, and take them from the truck into the new place - they arenít showing up to help you pack and clean!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:49 PM

I happen to be a helluva packer. My whole family knows my *secret*. So guess who gets asked to all the packing and moving parties? I have seriously considered a career path as a pro-packer. But damn it's getting old. I will get to her dorm and she will be sitting in the floor alphabetizing her greeting cards or counting unmatched socks. I just know I am in for it. So predictable me, I ordered some boxes and bought some plastics tubs and tape today. I swear this is the last time. Well, I will get to pull out her winter stuff out so I can bring it home to store. Oh, god stop me, I just added a new job to the list!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 05-16-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Google is being obstreperous. All I want is an adapter that will let me use my Sennheiser headset that has 2 2.5 mm plugs (one for earphones, one for the mike) with my new computer, which has a single 3.5 mm port. I'm finding plenty of dual 3.5 to single 3.5 adapters. I've even found a number of dual 3.5 to single 2.5 adapters. But for the life of me, I cannot find a dual 2.5 to single 3.5 adapter. Do these not exist? Would I be better off looking for a dual 2.5 to USB adapter?

And on top of this, both my bluetooth headset and my wired earbuds that I use to listen to music from my phone have gone bad. The headset has a non-functioning left ear bud, and the wired earbuds are so old that the protective coating on the wires has started to break down and I have exposed wires. Ugh.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Lord, I'm tireder than I thought. I took a close look at the actual plugs on my headset, instead of the end that plugs into the phone. They're 3.5 mm, so I don't need the (probably mythical) dual 2.5 mm to single 3.5 mm adapter after all.

However, the bluetooth headset and the wired earbuds are still busticated.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I think everyone has stories of showing up to help someone move and they aren’t even close to ready.
I have such a story, which was irritating, but that wasn't the funny bit.

The last time (ever) I and my friends ever showed up to help someone move, he (1) hadn't started packing, (2) had the entire inventory of his comics shop that went under needing packed as well, and (3) had to leave to visit grandma for "a few hours."

We were super-pissed, and vengeful. And devious. We packed everything for him. At random. Underwear + a few comics + the VCR remote + some of the dirty dishes. Labeled "books". Then dirty laundry + a few comics + all the spoons + the TV remote. Labeled "books".

Look, we just labeled everything "books". Except a few that someone labeled "kitchen", which was just everything that was in the kitchen garbage, dumped into a box.

When his younger relatives showed up for when the pizza arrived, we explained that we were taking a break for pizza while they loaded up the truck that had been waiting hours for them. Hurry up; pizza will be cold. Yes, he does have a lot of books -- careful, they're heavy.

We were long gone by the time he actually returned after midnight. And he probably still hasn't found all the remotes. But the kitchen trash did get sorted to the kitchen! Helpful!

Last edited by Lightray; 05-16-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
We packed everything for him. At random. Underwear + a few comics + the VCR remote + some of the dirty dishes. Labeled "books". Then dirty laundry + a few comics + all the spoons + the TV remote. Labeled "books"...
Damn, I bow to the professional movers... and shakers!

Honestly, this story made my day... no, fortnight.

Last edited by digs; 05-16-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:44 AM

I have a good news/bad news story here. The good news is that I am able to counter the popular rumor that nothing -- absolutely nothing -- every happens in London, Ontario. In fact, something did happen on garbage day on Tuesday:
Police in London, Ont., say someone put a live First World War-era artillery shell out with the trash on Tuesday. The shell contained more than 10 kilograms of live explosives and had to be destroyed by bomb experts at Canadian Forces Base Borden. The vintage piece of ordnance was found by Danny Vellow after someone had placed it with the curbside trash for pickup in the city's west end on Tuesday.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london...bage-1.4665802
The bad news, unfortunately -- and I do say this with the deepest regret -- is that the caricature of how Canadians supposedly talk, which I have long maintained is just a scurrilous fiction, appears to have been validated by this unfortunate comment from Mr. Vellow:
"I almost stepped on the bomb. I was like, 'Holy heck, eh?'"
I'm just going to assume that he was misquoted, probably by an agent of American interests. They probably had to restrain themselves from fabricating some additional fiction like, "What hoser put this thing here, eh?"
Old 05-17-2018, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I have a good news/bad news story here.
Every part of this post makes me smile. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2018, 02:28 AM

When my brother and control-SiL moved, we helped them. SiL wanted to tell us how to pack, but not do it herself. We explained it was either "we do it our way" or "you do it your way"; "we do it your way, with you trying to give instructions to five people in six different rooms" wasn't going to work, and not just because of the mismatch in numbers. She insisted. Alex and I sat down on the floor. Me, she might have been able to budge, but Alex is a 6'something truck mechanic, built to Mack specs.

Us helpers got to do most of the packing, but at least she was complaining to the boxes she was filling herself rather than trying to ride us

Last edited by Nava; 05-17-2018 at 02:33 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Had a fight with my husband last night. I still feel that he was in the wrong, but am ready to let this blow over. We are in the "cautious civility so life can proceed as usual" stage. These types of things make me sick to my stomach; I hate this aftermath feeling.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:34 AM

The people who constantly post things with, "If you agree, share", drive me crazy. It's ridiculous stuff, too. Stuff like: "The sun is beautiful and the source of all life! 'Share' if you want to see the sun rise tomorrow."
Old 05-17-2018, 10:40 AM

Life is Pain.

Share if you agree.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
The people who constantly post things with, "If you agree, share", drive me crazy. It's ridiculous stuff, too. Stuff like: "The sun is beautiful and the source of all life! 'Share' if you want to see the sun rise tomorrow."
If I got that from most of my relatives I'd be answering "gee, when did you start liking being up at dawn?"
Old 05-17-2018, 02:51 PM

Am I supposed tom care about the Royal Wedding?

From the new coverage, I get the impression that I am supposed to care.

But you know what? I don't.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 05-17-2018, 03:38 PM

Just this morning, I explained to a friend that since we "blŁŁdy colonists" don't have royalty, we have to look elsewhere for meaningless pageantry.

ETA: I think it's harmless. Gives the People Magazine readers something to get all warm and fuzzy about.

Last edited by digs; 05-17-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:17 PM

Day eight, and we got a newspaper delivered today. Now I'm cynically waiting for the weekend, when there will be nobody in the offices to call.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
<snip>
The last time (ever) I and my friends ever showed up to help someone move, he (1) hadn't started packing, (2) had the entire inventory of his comics shop that went under needing packed as well, and (3) had to leave to visit grandma for "a few hours."

We were super-pissed, and vengeful. And devious. We packed everything for him. At random. Underwear + a few comics + the VCR remote + some of the dirty dishes. Labeled "books". Then dirty laundry + a few comics + all the spoons + the TV remote. Labeled "books".

Look, we just labeled everything "books". Except a few that someone labeled "kitchen", which was just everything that was in the kitchen garbage, dumped into a box.

When his younger relatives showed up for when the pizza arrived, we explained that we were taking a break for pizza while they loaded up the truck that had been waiting hours for them. Hurry up; pizza will be cold. Yes, he does have a lot of books -- careful, they're heavy.

We were long gone by the time he actually returned after midnight. And he probably still hasn't found all the remotes. But the kitchen trash did get sorted to the kitchen! Helpful!
Impressive! But completely appropriate for someone who doesn't stick around for his own packing!

We stopped helping anyone move about 10 years ago - we figured we were all about even, we all have enough money now to hire a moving company, and none of us are getting any younger. Not helping other people move is A Very Good Thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
The bad news, unfortunately -- and I do say this with the deepest regret -- is that the caricature of how Canadians supposedly talk, which I have long maintained is just a scurrilous fiction, appears to have been validated by this unfortunate comment from Mr. Vellow:
"I almost stepped on the bomb. I was like, 'Holy heck, eh?'"
<snip>
Oh, jeeze.

Quote:
Life is Pain.

Share if you agree.

Yes, your Dread Pirateness.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:24 PM

Local radio station posts one of those phishing memes on their FB page. The ones with 'your this name is a,b,c', one of which was 'first pet name'.

I respond that this is a phishing meme designed to get people's password hints. I get an immediate response from the station asking if I think they're phishing.

No, you're just naive.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Day eight, and we got a newspaper delivered today. Now I'm cynically waiting for the weekend, when there will be nobody in the offices to call.
What time does your newspaper get delivered (when it does)?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Life is Pain.

Share if you agree.

That sounds really Facebook-ish.

Which raises a disturbing implication.

Even people who aren't telling you any different are trying to sell you something!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
What time does your newspaper get delivered (when it does)?
In the past, it's been delivered as early as 1 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Life is Pain.

Share if you agree.

So how long have you been a Russian bot?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Pizza is delicious. Share if you agree. Keeping pizza all to yourself is bad.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
In the past, it's been delivered as early as 1 AM.
Then I guess I canít recommend laying in wait for the delivery guy and flagging his m down to ask him.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Then I guess I canít recommend laying in wait for the delivery guy and flagging his m down to ask him.
The whole neighborhood hasn't been getting delivery, so I don't think there's a delivery guy to flag down.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:23 PM

You know, it occurs to me that when we finally develop brain implants that can connect us to the internet, provide instant access to knowledge and assist our brain in thinking, the religious right will attack this as 'a tool of the devil' and demand that it be shut down because the information it provides is in direct opposition to their own set of 'facts'.

Or they'll try to develop their own, 'faith based' brain implants.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Jesus fucking Christ. My son the addict is back in the fucking ER for the fucking umpteenth time. Disoriented, shaking and drunk. His mother had to deliver him. I'm sick to death of this guy fucking up his life and the lives of everyone around him.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

I am so sorry, Chefguy.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:59 PM

Sadly, the only way he's going to stop is to die.

Unless by some miracle he suddenly decides that he doesn't want to die.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:13 PM

Maybe this time he will get help. I feel so bad for you guys.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
ETA: I think it's harmless. Gives the People Magazine readers something to get all warm and fuzzy about.
Not harmless for me; because of this nonsense, my beekeeping meetup tomorrow has been rescheduled for Sunday, so it doesn't clash with 'the wedding'. This means that instead of clashing with some tedious pageantry, the meetup now clashes with a local festival I was also planning on going to, so now I can't go to both.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:14 PM

To show that stupidity makes things even worse...

Florida woman smiles in mugshot after DUI crash that killed mother, officials say

Quote:
A Florida woman sparked a fury after she was photographed smiling ear-to-ear in her mugshot following a drunk driving crash that killed a 60-year-old mother, Florida Highway Patrol said.
This makes her look villainous. Might as well just say 'please add 5 years to sentence, please'.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca