View Poll Results: What word is being said?
Laurel 123 50.41%
Yanny 109 44.67%
Yes, the film Big DID have a different ending 12 4.92%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I'm hearing impaired and do not have my hearing aid in right now. I'll just agree with whatever closed captioning says.
OK, with my hearing aid in I listened on my phone. I hear "Terry".
Old 05-16-2018, 11:16 AM

It 100% switched for me: I heard "Laurel" clear as day, tried a different video, where it was saying "Yanny" and then went back to the original which was now saying "Yanny" too.

To me it seems like a prank; the two sounds are so different.

Last edited by Mijin; 05-16-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I didn't open this thread until just now. Earlier, the morning news had this thing. Since I'm working, I was not paying attention. The first time they played it, I heard 'yanny'. The second time, I heard 'laurel'.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:24 AM

I can switch at will now. Just by speaking out loud "laurel" or "yanny" in the correct pitch over the recording.

Last edited by Mijin; 05-16-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

To me, the first consonant is unclear, but could go either eay. But the rest of it is clearly 'orel' to my ear, so if I have to choose between 'Laurel' and 'Yanny,' it's Laurel, easily.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:53 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I tried it yesterday on my desktop and heard "Yanny" (with a very clear N sound, almost like really). I tried it again today just to see if I could catch myself off guard and hear it differently but no, still "Yanny." Tried it on my phone just now and heard "Yanny."

If I think REALLY hard about "Laurel" while listening I can see where it comes in in the lower register, but I have yet to hear it while casually listening. 39 female with some slight hearing issues.

ETA: I just had my best friend try it, 39-male with some hearing issues. He also heard "Yanny" without a doubt.

Last edited by ZipperJJ; 05-16-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
They're both there. The "Laurel" is a deep, adult male voice; "Yanny" is higher, nasal, and chipmunk-ish.
This.....I heard "yanny" when it was played on the radio but when I've clicked on an online link I can hear both at the same time. It sounds like two idiots talking over each other.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:04 PM

I even followed the advice and cranked up the treble as best I could, but I could never get it to sound like Yanny. Both today and Yesterday, I could hear a high pitched Y when I first clicked it, but not Yanny.

That said, I've also never been able to hear overtones as clear pitches, even in choirs. And my hearing is even worse now that my ears ring all the time (I use pseudo white noise [fans] to mask it, but mostly just ignore it.) So it doesn't surprise me that I can't hear something that is only in the upper frequencies.

Unlike the blue and black dress, this isn't a natural situation you would find yourself naturally, but a deliberately manufactured sound. It's closer to those pics where you see one person's face when you are up close but another face from a distance.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:43 PM

Yanny. I was certain. I strained to hear Laurel, and couldn't find it. 39-ish male on an iPhone speaker.

Then I read the thread with various mentions of a deep Laurel vs a nasal Yanny. I turned up the volume and focused on lower sounds. Another 2 minutes of Yanny, and then suddenly Laurel, crystal clear. Now I can sometimes barely hear Yanny, but it's superimposed over a Laurel that I can't unhear.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

The only way I could hear "laurel" was through the NY Times interactive tool.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...el-debate.html
Old 05-16-2018, 02:56 PM

They played it on the Entertainment Weekly Radio Morning Show, and I definitely heard Laurel - except that one time when it was being played over one of the host's cellphone, it did sound more like Yanny.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Love this. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
To my ears, even when pushing that tool all the way to the "Laurel" end, I'm still hearing Yanny, albeit with a bit of an "ora" sound in there.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

I hear Mangrove Throatwarbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
My wife is hearing 'yally', and my son heard 'Yahweh'. Clearly this poll does not have enough options.
It's the second coming!
Old 05-16-2018, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

First I heard Laurel then I heard Hardy.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

I"m pretty much a ditto of what RavenMan experienced up on post #17: I heard 3 or 4 "Yanny"s and then nothing but "Laurels" since and it isn't going back. I guess I'm just resting on my laurels.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:24 PM

Yanny
Old 05-16-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Jays Fan

The correct answer is Yanny. (Yammy, whatever.) If you don't hear that, it is literally because you don't have very good hearing and cannot hear the higher frequency (and louder) "yanny" sound.

I find it curious I can hear Yanny, as I'm 46, which is a bit old to pick up high frequencies.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if the folks like me who hear both have a musical background? I am used to picking out separate tracks. And with the coaching of being asked which I was hearing, I picked up both easily, naturally. ??
Old 05-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The correct answer is Yanny. (Yammy, whatever.) If you don't hear that, it is literally because you don't have very good hearing and cannot hear the higher frequency (and louder) "yanny" sound.

I find it curious I can hear Yanny, as I'm 46, which is a bit old to pick up high frequencies.
Although if you read the NYT article, the word spoken is Laurel, from vocabulary.com.

StG
Old 05-16-2018, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
It apparently has to do with the frequencies you can hear. "Yanni" is transmitted at the upper range of human-audible frequencies around 20kHz while "Laurel" is transmitted at lower freqs. I'm surprised a man in his mid-30s like myself can still hear around 20kHz.
But I'm a 66-year old man with a documented diminished hearing at frequencies over 11kHz and all I can hear is Yanni.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:25 PM

I listened this morning and heard "yanny" distinctly. Couldn't get anything remotely like "Laurel." I answered the poll accordingly, but after reading the responses here, I turned the volume to 100% and heard "Laurel." Now even if I turn the volume down, I hear "Laurel."

How did this whole thing get started? Was someone listening to an interview with Yanni and heard his name as "Laurel"? Who made the original recording of Yanny/Laurel?
Old 05-16-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
I wonder if the folks like me who hear both have a musical background? I am used to picking out separate tracks. And with the coaching of being asked which I was hearing, I picked up both easily, naturally. ??
It turns out that an opera singer is speaking the word in question, which is supposed to be laurel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...ue-history/amp

For me this raises more questions than it answers. My assumption after hearing the word several times was that it is computer generated, which is why I had previously referred to the speaker as an it. Now Im trying to figure out how a human, and a trained opera singer at that, can produce a word that sounds like yammy when he/she is trying to say laurel. It really does boggle the mind.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:45 PM

Do you Yanny weirdos ignore the warning not to jam Qtips in your ears, or what?
Old 05-16-2018, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Reminds me of the "what way spins the dancer"-gif. Only there you can actually make a shift in the way she turns in your own head. Weird.

I heard Laurel, clear as day.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:53 PM

I just checked out vocabulary.com and looked up laurel. The first time the yammy / laurel recording came up. I then looked up laurels and the recording was of a male voice pronouncing it normally. I then looked up laurel again and this time it was a normal male voice pronouncing the word laurel normally. I wonder if someone snuck the yammy version in as a joke of some kind, or if most of the words on vocabulary.com have several different speakers.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
It turns out that an opera singer is speaking the word in question, which is supposed to be laurel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...ue-history/amp

For me this raises more questions than it answers. My assumption after hearing the word several times was that it is computer generated, which is why I had previously referred to the speaker as an “it”. Now I’m trying to figure out how a human, and a trained opera singer at that, can produce a word that sounds like yammy when he/she is trying to say laurel. It really does boggle the mind.
Interesting. And here it is in context: https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/laurel

So, ha!!!. I was right all along!

ETA: Darn you, FlikTheBlue, ninja'd.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-16-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:10 PM

I hear Yanny, no question. It could make for an interesting study to compare other things that the opposite groups hear, see etc.

The dress was white and gold too.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I hear nothing but "Laurel" there. I can't even get my ears to hear "Yanny."
This is an auditory illusion, but unlike most illusions, there IS in fact a correct answer. He's saying "Laurel", in a deep bass voice, like that which a newscaster might use. The low frequency, a bit like a frog's croak, can fool your ears into thinking it's hearing something in a high-pitched scratchy voice, but if you listen intently for the inflection of "Laurel", you will hear it and you will not be able to hear "Yanny" again. There's also the fact that Laurel is an actual fucking word, and Yanny isn't one. Yanni (Ioannis) is a Greek name, but not with a Y at the end, and certainly not pronounced to rhyme with "Manny."

So, long story short: it's Laurel, full stop.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:49 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Do you Yanny weirdos ignore the warning not to jam Qtips in your ears, or what?
Actually, it's those who hear "laurel" who have less acute hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquernagy View Post
This is an auditory illusion, but unlike most illusions, there IS in fact a correct answer.
There may be a correct answer to "What word was recorded?" but there are two correct answers to "Which word do you hear?"
Old 05-16-2018, 07:06 PM

Strangely, when they played the sound on the radio today (and they swore it was the original sound from the original Reddit link) I heard Laurel. I don't know what to think anymore.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:15 PM

I heard Yanny, like Annie. I was blown away when the news show tonight separated the higher and lower frequency versions of this. The lower frequency version was clearly Laurel, but I didn't hear that without some filtering. My ears constantly ring a high pitch, if that has anything to do with this.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:33 PM

The original on the dictionary page is very obviously Laurel to this Yanni-hearer's ears. So the audio must have been garbled in some way, during the various iterations of posting and reposting it went through on the way to becoming a viral star. Possibly the Yanni is an artefact of some compression algorithm, that just happened to sound like speech

Interestingly, when I checked out the interactive Laurel-Yanni slider on the NYT page, I started with Yanni, as usual, and had to push it left as far as mark 2 to finally hear Laurel ... but having heard it I can now push the slider back to 5 and hear it clearly as an undertone - and even push the slider as far as about mark 7 before the Laurel fades into background-Yanniness.

This kind of shit is why I never ever wanted to make a living doing audio-anything
Old 05-16-2018, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

I hear Laurel. Very distinctly.

The Mrs. hears Yanny. Vehemently so.

I studied perception and cognition in some depth back in the day, and have kept up with the topic to some extent, so I can accept quite easily the underlying concepts which explain the phenomenon.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:08 PM

Using phone or laptop speakers, my results were inconclusive. Sometimes I even hear the words alternating (and I don't mean I'm hearing something in between, I mean two very different words alternating).

But with my good Sennheiser headphones, it's laurel - until I use an equalizer to add a notch filter from about 600 Hz to 1000 Hz. That turns it into yanny. If the notch is shallow, like only -6dB, I can hear both at once.

That's with the audio clip that's going around on social media. The original clip from the dictionary page stays laurel.

Last edited by PatriotGrrrl; 05-16-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:08 PM

I heard "Laurel", after adjusting the bass and treble I still heard "Laurel".
Old 05-16-2018, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMensch View Post
I"m pretty much a ditto of what RavenMan experienced up on post #17: I heard 3 or 4 "Yanny"s and then nothing but "Laurels" since and it isn't going back. I guess I'm just resting on my laurels.
I have listened to it like four more times today. Half yanny, half laurel.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I hear Laurel. Very distinctly.

The Mrs. hears Yanny. Vehemently so.

I studied perception and cognition in some depth back in the day, and have kept up with the topic to some extent, so I can accept quite easily the underlying concepts which explain the phenomenon.
I too live in a house divided. My spouse hears Yanni. With the speeded up and slowed down versions linked from the The Atlantic article we agree, but with the "original" ...
Old 05-16-2018, 08:48 PM

I heard "Laurel" from the link on the Business Insider page. In the second video, in which someone plays with the pitch, I heard "YEAH-nee" (though the video's host repeatedly said he heard "YAW-nee") where the pitch was lowered.

In re auditory illusions: the movie Dunkirk recently came to cable, and the Wikipedia page on it mentions that Hans Zimmer deliberately incorporated some illusions into his score for the film. An interesting discussion--with clips--is at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_illusion

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609

Last edited by Sherrerd; 05-16-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I hear nothing but "Laurel" there. I can't even get my ears to hear "Yanny."
Whoa. I finally got to hear "Yanny" by playing the sample on the phone and putting the speaker right up against my ear. Then it sounded exactly like "yanny," rhymes with "Annie," and I can't hear any way to get "Laurel" out of it. When I move it about a centimeter or two away from my ear, it starts to blend, and then at anywhere more than a few centimeters, it snaps back into "Laurel."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
The original on the dictionary page is very obviously Laurel to this Yanni-hearer's ears. So the audio must have been garbled in some way, during the various iterations of posting and reposting it went through on the way to becoming a viral star. Possibly the Yanni is an artefact of some compression algorithm, that just happened to sound like speech
The effect works for me on the vocabulary.com page just fine, so it's not a compression artifact, at least for this listener.

This is trippy as hell.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-16-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:07 PM

I only hear laurel. I've been listening to that clip all day long and never once have I heard "Yanny". Even when I moved the slider in Telemark's link all the way to the "Yanny" side, I didn't hear it (I just hear a very distorted "laurel").
Old 05-16-2018, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

The first session I heard it, i heard Yanny (rhyming with "fanny"), and upon replying it kept beginning with "Y" but the other vowels and consonants kept changing.

The second session I heard it, I heard "laurel" straight away, and then it kept alternating in that session between "Yaurel" and back to "Laurel" and then "yaurel" again.

Last edited by Ludovic; 05-16-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
The effect works for me on the vocabulary.com page just fine, so it's not a compression artifact, at least for this listener.

This is trippy as hell.
Whoooa - freaky!

does the vocabulary.com page actually sound different to you though?

Just for clarity- I'm getting the Yanny/Laurel freak version from business insider and vocabulary.com here

They sound wildly different to me. Vocabulary.com link is much louder, for starters, and has no hint of 'yanny' in it.

Is it possible the vocabulary.com page is playing a different codec to me, than to people on other devices?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:34 PM

Yanny, although my youngest son hears 'Yammy'...Mrs. BLTC only hears 'Laurel'...and the dress was blue and black, although, once again, Mrs. BLTC reports a white and gold dress...
Old 05-16-2018, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Whoooa - freaky!

does the vocabulary.com page actually sound different to you though?

Just for clarity- I'm getting the Yanny/Laurel freak version from business insider and vocabulary.com here

They sound wildly different to me. Vocabulary.com link is much louder, for starters, and has no hint of 'yanny' in it.

Is it possible the vocabulary.com page is playing a different codec to me, than to people on other devices?
It's the same voice, but, yes, the vocabulary.com version is cleaner. And the viral version is obviously a recording of somebody playing the vocabulary.com sample on the computer, because you can hear a little bit of ambient noise as well as somebody hitting a space bar or other key on a computer keyboard. But I heard the "yanny" and "laurel" pronunciations on both clips.

The weird thing is, I can't get either of them to sound like "Yanny" anymore. It's just "Laurel." I was outside walking the dog, and there was a lot of street noise going on, and that's when I heard it, plain as day, as "yanny" in both clips, but now, inside a quiet house, it's back to "laurel" again.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:54 PM

As I say, I can hear whichever I want to hear now. There's no particular trick to it though; now I know exactly how both are supposed to sound (I mean perceptually), it's easy to superimpose that on to my expectation of what I'm about to hear.

But note that if I hear "Yanny" I can also hear a dull ringing at the end, which seems like background noise but is actually the "-el" of Laurel.
And if I hear "Laurel" the background noise seems like it's throughout the whole thing (though faint) and is something of a wheezing, high-pitched noise
Old 05-16-2018, 11:05 PM

I went and played the vocabulary.com one on all the devices in my house, just to see if I could hear 'yanniness' in it. And if I play it on the phone, or out of little cheap headphones I can hear a hint of it - a kind of tinny sound over the top of the 'laurel' that could be a 'y' and an 'ee' in a high register.

But on the vocabulary version 'laurel' overwhelms everything. the 'laurel' frequencies seem to have been toned right down in the viral version
Old 05-16-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMensch View Post
I"m pretty much a ditto of what RavenMan experienced up on post #17: I heard 3 or 4 "Yanny"s and then nothing but "Laurels" since and it isn't going back.
Same happened to me.

Now, using the slider, going left to right, I hear Laurel until 9/10, but going back the other way I hear Yanni until 6/10, so three notches in difference.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:57 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquernagy View Post
This is an auditory illusion, but unlike most illusions, there IS in fact a correct answer. He's saying "Laurel", in a deep bass voice, like that which a newscaster might use. The low frequency, a bit like a frog's croak, can fool your ears into thinking it's hearing something in a high-pitched scratchy voice, but if you listen intently for the inflection of "Laurel", you will hear it and you will not be able to hear "Yanny" again.
No, I can't. Absolutely cannot perceive "laurel" in that sound at all, not a hint of it. I can if I use the NYT thing and turn it all the way to Laurel, but the "original" sound, no.

Last edited by RickJay; 05-17-2018 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
No, I can't. Absolutely cannot perceive "laurel" in that sound at all, not a hint of it. I can if I use the NYT thing and turn it all the way to Laurel, but the "original" sound, no.
What do you hear in the really original one, just out of interest?