Old 05-13-2018, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Do the rental car companies still consider Saddle Road off-limits?
No. Was there in March. I took a tour to the top nad was glad I did. Was a bit woozy at 4000 meters.

4wd (not awd) is a must. As well as knowing how to use low gears and how to avoid overheating brakes.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:36 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Do the rental car companies still consider Saddle Road off-limits?
I don't think so. The car we rented in March had no such restrictions. It did in the past, long ago during our last time there. I think I heard they stopped it in general.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:27 PM
Elephant Whisperer

By now, you've all probably seen that stop-action video of the lava covering that car. But look to the left of the car, and you will notice what is an R2D2 mailbox. That's what the car owner was really pissed off about losing. Said it had been a gift from his daughter. Also said that car had been stolen I think it was three times, now covered with lava. That's one cursed car.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
By now, you've all probably seen that stop-action video of the lava covering that car. But look to the left of the car, and you will notice what is an R2D2 mailbox. That's what the car owner was really pissed off about losing. Said it had been a gift from his daughter. Also said that car had been stolen I think it was three times, now covered with lava. That's one cursed car.
(Saw the car owner interviewed on TV)

The guy who owned that car had a small local rental car business. He and as many of his friends that he could gather were moving all his cars to a safe location. When he finally got to that car, it wouldn't start and the lava was closing in. If it would have started normally, he could have moved it, but the time necessary and the logistics of bring another car to jump it to the dangerous location just didn't make sense, so he had to just let it go.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Also said that car had been stolen I think it was three times, now covered with lava. That's one cursed car.
On the upside - the car will never be stolen again, what with becoming part of a geological formation.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:49 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Fissure No. 19 opened this morning in the Lanipuna Gardens subdivision, spewing lava. They keep comparing this flow with the 1955 eruption, which lasted three months and resulted in 24 fissures.

Big Island reservations through July are down 50% year-on-year, with the cost to the economy estimated at $5 million.

Shot of Kilauea taken from the International Space Station
Old 05-15-2018, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Ripon, Wisconsin.
Won't someone think of the Rippin' Good Cookies??
Old 05-15-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Fissure No. 19 opened this morning in the Lanipuna Gardens subdivision, spewing lava. They keep comparing this flow with the 1955 eruption, which lasted three months and resulted in 24 fissures.
Well you know what they say--fissure cut bait.

(No, I'm not sure what I mean by that either.)
Old 05-15-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post

I'm sure there's a good set-up in there somewhere, to turn that into a suitably groan-worthy pun.

However, I'm not making any Pele jokes right now. Here's my story why:

When the first pretty large quake (the 5.4) hit, I was kind of jazzed. True fact: big Indonesian gongs sound spectacular in a quake. They begin reverberating and emit the purest, most spooky, wonderful tones. My gongs are about to be set up at the local cultural center (6 days from now, yay). So I almost sent a jokey email to the people I know at the center, saying something along the lines of, "wow, it will be so cool if that happens when the gongs are set up - you're going to love it."

But as I was about to hit the "send" button it occurred to me that some of them might live closer to the epicenter or the lava flow and might not be in the mood for levity about our current geological uproar. So I hit "delete" instead.

BOY AM I GLAD I DID. Turns out two board members are severely affected: one, a pottery sculpture, lost years of his work when his entire studio was destroyed in the 6.9 quake. Another is worried sick as her home hasn't been swallowed by lava but definitely could be next.

Thank god, I almost made myself look like an insensitive asshole. Which I probably am, but at least I managed to hide it this time.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
I'm sure there's a good set-up in there somewhere, to turn that into a suitably groan-worthy pun.
Maybe something about Mt. Killawhale?

Eh, I got nothin'.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:03 PM

It's spewing rocks now. Pics at the link; story too. Haven't found any video yet.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:51 PM

Can't keep the golfers down though.

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/0...k-round-photos

How close is the course? About 1.5 miles. Map at: use satellite view.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vo...!4d-155.277191

Hey, the volcano crater/caldera at Kilauea is downwind from the course - for now.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:14 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I've been pretty busy this week. In a nutshell, 22 fissures now, while yesterday morning was some sort of explosive eruption in the summit itself, but probably not the explosive eruption they've been waiting for. The lava just crossed a main road today, cutting off one escape route. May start entering the ocean soon.

And a week ago, a Letter to the Editor in the local paper asked a question I've been wondering about. Some people have been allowed back in when possible to retrieve belongs ... and pets. ??!? Who would leave their pets behind in the first place to be met with a possible lava death? The mind boggles.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 05-19-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Who would leave their pets behind in the first place to be met with a possible lava death? The mind boggles.
It's not necessarily voluntary. One story, recalled from memory: pet owner has two dogs, and suddenly all hell breaks loose: ground shaking, fissures erupting, fumes, etc. One dog runs away, one dog stays with the owner.

Emergency personnel come by and demand immediate evacuation. Owner has one dog, calls out in vain for other dog, which has disappeared.

Authorities are all, "hey! Out of the pool! NOW!" so owner leaves with one dog, worried sick about the other but unable to do anything since other dog has fled.

In subsequent days, owner is allowed back into the area of their home, and desperately tries to find missing dog (successfully in the story I am vaguely recalling).

As for me, I'm just pleased that County officials have made it clear that shelters and procedures are being designed to accommodate pets. I've seen other emergencies where the standard rhetoric was more along the lines of, "What? You think we give a shit about your pets? No way, humans only." I can understand that approach if it is absolutely necessary, but it heartens me to think that on Hawaii, there is more consideration being given to our non-human companions.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:36 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
It's not necessarily voluntary. One story, recalled from memory: pet owner has two dogs, and suddenly all hell breaks loose: ground shaking, fissures erupting, fumes, etc. One dog runs away, one dog stays with the owner.

Emergency personnel come by and demand immediate evacuation. Owner has one dog, calls out in vain for other dog, which has disappeared.

Authorities are all, "hey! Out of the pool! NOW!" so owner leaves with one dog, worried sick about the other but unable to do anything since other dog has fled.

In subsequent days, owner is allowed back into the area of their home, and desperately tries to find missing dog (successfully in the story I am vaguely recalling).
I can only hope that is the case.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:04 AM
Elephant Whisperer

First lava-related injury. Some guy was watching the flow from his third-floor balcony when some flying lava caught him on the leg. Story here.

Fissures 16 and 20 are merging, and the flow is heading rapidly to the coast. It's crossed and blocked one of the few roads out of the region now.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:30 AM

Quote:
First lava-related injury. Some guy was watching the flow from his third-floor balcony when some flying lava caught him on the leg. Story here.
There's a link at the end of that story: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...l-spewing-lava

The top of the page is over 230 images, some from satellites and some from right up close; they are amazing. I gotta tell y'all, one of my life's mottos has always been "don't take chances take risks" but when I look at most of those pictures of lava spewing and oozing over huge swaths of land, pretty much every fiber of my being screams NO NO NO NO NONONONONONONONONO and just wants to get the fuck away from the lava and the volcano and the ash and the toxic fumes... and I'm comfortably far away in Las Vegas. How the hell can you live close enough to spewing magma that it's a realistic possibility that you'll get hit in the leg by it and be so casual as to just go hang out on your balcony so that it actually happens?
Old 05-20-2018, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
There's a link at the end of that story: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...l-spewing-lava

The top of the page is over 230 images, some from satellites and some from right up close; they are amazing. I gotta tell y'all, one of my life's mottos has always been "don't take chances take risks" but when I look at most of those pictures of lava spewing and oozing over huge swaths of land, pretty much every fiber of my being screams NO NO NO NO NONONONONONONONONO and just wants to get the fuck away from the lava and the volcano and the ash and the toxic fumes... and I'm comfortably far away in Las Vegas. How the hell can you live close enough to spewing magma that it's a realistic possibility that you'll get hit in the leg by it and be so casual as to just go hang out on your balcony so that it actually happens?
They've done this for a loooong time. those golfers up in post 62 during the current eruption playing along? Here's another photo from the 1924 eruption - Crowd at the Volcano House Hotel posing for pictures with the explosion in the background. They are the same 1.5 miles from the crater as the golfers.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vsc/image..._731w_500h.jpg

More photos from the 1924 boomer at: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes...alemaumau.html
Old 05-20-2018, 07:40 AM

I remember as a kid seeing on television some guy that liked to sculpt lava. He would approach a flow wearing a heat suit (or whatever it is called), grab some lava with a loooong metal ladle, drop it in a bucket of water, and while the rock is still soft enough to shape but firm enough to hold the shape, use other metal tools to make (of necessity pretty simple) shapes from that. I always remembered that as one of The Coolest (but not literally) Things Ever.

Also, it is dissapointing that there aren't any nice kimberlite volcanos around now. It'd be fun to wait for a flow to cool and go chip out some fresh diamonds.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:37 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
They've done this for a loooong time. those golfers up in post 62 during the current eruption playing along? Here's another photo from the 1924 eruption - Crowd at the Volcano House Hotel posing for pictures with the explosion in the background. They are the same 1.5 miles from the crater as the golfers.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vsc/image..._731w_500h.jpg

More photos from the 1924 boomer at: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes...alemaumau.html
Those golfers are probably pretty safe. The ash cloud looks bodacious, but that's not where the lave is coming from, and I think the prevailing winds are carrying the ash away. I think they're too far to be affected by the cow-sized boulder missiles.

I think it's 23 fissures now, and the lava is pouring into the ocean. They're warning of "laze," lava-haze, which is poisonous.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 05-20-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:10 AM
Elephant Whisperer

They've scaled back the number of fissures to 22. Apparently No. 23 turned out to be an extension of I think it was No. 4. Three rivers of lava were entering the ocean, but two rivers have merged, making it two pouring into the ocean now. This is how Hawaii is the only state whose land area is actually growing.

More explosions at the summit too. The ash seems to all be blowing southerly due to the prevailing trade winds.

Three weeks now, and the activity is only intensifying. A resident on the news -- not sure if he lost his home or just had to evacuate -- was saying on the news tonight that he initially felt a degree of guilt, wondering if it was because he had done something wrong. I'm thinking, "Yeah, you built on the slope of a friggin' live volcano!"
Old 05-25-2018, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Three rivers of lava were entering the ocean, but two rivers have merged, making it two pouring into the ocean now. This is how Hawaii is the only state whose land area is actually growing.
What no one is talking about is that Earth is losing it's heat! Volcanoes leak the heat from Earth's core, and if it keeps up we'll be frozen and dead!

And in other just-out-of-bed brainwaves... I think I remember a scene in Gilligan's Island where a volcano is about to erupt. I think the castaways were playing charades or something, and Mr. Howell was miming (charading?) 'It's a hot time in the old town tonight'.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:20 PM

I wonder if it would be possible to build a lava-flow-proof residence. Either up very high on very strong and fireproof pillars, or surrounded by a big strong concrete wall, or something.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Even if you could, you still have the problem of it either being surrounded by 2,000 degree molten rock, or just above 2,000 degree molten rock - you'd basically have an oven. Not someplace you'd want to stay during an eruption. Also, contents of said box would, if it's anything like a normal household, be flammable. Lots of things will spontaneously burst into flames at that temperature, and anything aluminum would melt into a puddle.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
I wonder if it would be possible to build a lava-flow-proof residence. Either up very high on very strong and fireproof pillars, or surrounded by a big strong concrete wall, or something.
There was a thread about building a lava moat around one's lair, and the consensus seemed to be that lava is not like water, or even hot water: it's a LOT denser and a LOT hotter, and the heat storage per unit volume is incredible. Even if it wasn't heated to a thousand degrees or more, a volume of lava would still release far more energy per degree of cooling than the same volume of water at the same temperature. And you can't go right up to the edge of a lava lake either; the radiant heat and convected air will kill you before you ever touch it.

I suspect that a "lava-flow-proof residence" would end up being on top of a small mountain.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:39 PM

The fissures are also putting out thousands of TONS of poisonous gas each day; primarily H2S.

You might be physically protected only to expire from farts.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Don't forget the "laze" - fog composed of acid steam and teeny shards of glass.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
If you drive around on the Big Island, you'll see many "islands" that were by passed by by previous lava flows. They were simply small hills that the lava flowed around instead of over. If your home was a top one of these, it would have been spared.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
They've scaled back the number of fissures to 22. Apparently No. 23 turned out to be an extension of I think it was No. 4. Three rivers of lava were entering the ocean, but two rivers have merged, making it two pouring into the ocean now. This is how Hawaii is the only state whose land area is actually growing.
I first visited the Big Island in 1986 (not knowing then that decades later I'd be living there), with my husband and another couple - all of them attorneys (I am not). The scenery as we drove around the south of the island was spectacular. The three lawyers were intently discussing, "so, if the lava creates new land, who owns it?" while I was gaping at the magnificent landscapes. I thought their focus on reviewing legal issues instead of glorying in the raw beauty of the natural world around us was a pretty good demonstration of why NOT to go to law school.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:10 PM

Ok, I think this is darkly funny. Or funny in an ominously red glowing way. Lava from one of the fissures is encroaching onto PGV territory, threatening a power plant run by Puna Geothermal Ventures.

Yes, that is correct, hot, runny earth is going destroy a facility built to generate electricity using heat from within the Earth.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:16 PM
Elephant Whisperer

A local faction is trying to drag the recent activity into politics. There is resistance in some quarters to a new telescope up proposed for Mauna Kea, and they're trying to say Pele is doing this because she's angry about the proposal.

The total is 24 fissures now.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 05-27-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
A local faction is trying to drag the recent activity into politics. There is resistance in some quarters to a new telescope up proposed for Mauna Kea, and they're trying to say Pele is doing this because she's angry about the proposal.

Her anger sure did shutter all the other astronomical operations taking place on Mauna Kea...makes sense...
Old 05-27-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:

I arrived to live on the Big Island on May 2. The eruption began May 3. Coincidence?
Old 05-28-2018, 01:45 AM
Elephant Whisperer

All hail Cairo "Pele" Carol!
Old 05-28-2018, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
What no one is talking about is that Earth is losing it's heat! Volcanoes leak the heat from Earth's core, and if it keeps up we'll be frozen and dead!
Actually, it is a Double Whammy - all that lava going into the sea, raising sea level. We may drown before we freeze...
Old 05-28-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
Actually, it is a Double Whammy - all that lava going into the sea, raising sea level. We may drown before we freeze...
Not to mention the direct impact it is having on global warming. Water vapor is a powerful greenhouse gas I mean, why do you think greenhouses are so humid?
Old 05-28-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Not to mention the direct impact it is having on global warming. Water vapor is a powerful greenhouse gas I mean, why do you think greenhouses are so humid?
On the other hand, it might help. A book of historical photos of my town had a snowstorm (not too common here) in the late 19th century - the winter after Krakatoa erupted. If these volcanoes blow up it might buy us some time.
Ruin the harvest, sure, but you can't have everything.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:53 AM

I woke up this morning to a foul stench ... a rotten egg smell tinged with an inorganic note of dirt/rock. Pele had evidently decided to fart in our general direction.

I wish none of this were happening, because of the devastating effect on people's lives. But since it happens regardless, it's kind of cool to wake up and smell a volcano erupting.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I wish none of this were happening, because of the devastating effect on people's lives. But since it happens regardless, it's kind of cool to wake up and smell a volcano erupting.

That's what he used to think.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Won't someone think of the Rippin' Good Cookies??
I'm guessing that was more of a political "rip"
Old 06-02-2018, 11:56 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Some Bozo in Leilani estates is up for life in prison for shooting at other local residents he mistook for looters. The perp has a record on the mainland. A lot of kooks have used Puna as a place to disappear into.

Excerpt: "Two of the charges against Hubbard, first-degree robbery and carrying a firearm in the commission of a separate felony, normally are Class A felonies punishable by up to 20 years apiece. But because the incident happened during a declared emergency and 11 felony charges have been filed, the complaint has language seeking possible extended sentencing if Hubbard is convicted of those charges."

Meanwhile, total mandatory evacuations are now under way. If anyone is left there, they're completely on their own. No one is going to come help them now.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 06-02-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If anyone is left there, they're completely on their own. No one is going to come help them now.
And you just know that someone will stay, demand rescue, and either one of two things will happen.

First is nobody will go, the bozos will die horribly, and their relatives will sue.

Second is, someone will go, and die in the attempt to rescue the bozos.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Some Bozo in Leilani estates is up for life in prison for shooting at other local residents he mistook for looters. The perp has a record on the mainland. A lot of kooks have used Puna as a place to disappear into.

Excerpt: "Two of the charges against Hubbard, first-degree robbery and carrying a firearm in the commission of a separate felony, normally are Class A felonies punishable by up to 20 years apiece. But because the incident happened during a declared emergency and 11 felony charges have been filed, the complaint has language seeking possible extended sentencing if Hubbard is convicted of those charges."

Meanwhile, total mandatory evacuations are now under way. If anyone is left there, they're completely on their own. No one is going to come help them now.
That video is scary as hell. I'm sure the other guy in it watches it now and pisses himself at how close he came to getting shot in the fucking head. My advice is to be very careful when trying to deal with irrational people in a rational manner, folks, if you try it at all.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-03-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:59 PM

My head exploded reading the local rag this morning; Star Advertiser. Big headline about the Puna Geothermal Venture facility that is in the midst of the current lava flows. It's been shut down because of the emergency/blocked by lava/wells plugged. It supplied 25%+ of the power to the Big Island (Hawaii).

Here it is: Residents are upset that the facility was located where it was because of the proximity to homes in the area. IT'S A GEOTHERMAL PLANT, LOCATION ON A VOLCANO IS A GREAT SPOT!! It's the damn homes in AN ACTIVE RIFT ZONE that are the problem. Did the fact that the entire area where residents built on is covered by recent lava flows sound an alarm? Did the fact that banks would not write mortgages there raise a question? No individual insurance companies would touch these properties so the state extorted created a pool for this high risk area.

That our stupid county and state governments even allowed building there is mind boggling. The government even supplied utility services and roads to the area in spite of; I DON'T KNOW, A COUPLE HUNDRED CONTINUOUS YEARS OF VOLCANIC ACTIVITY ON KILAUEA'S EAST RIFT ZONE.

It's sad that these folks lost access, got uprooted, and in some cases lost homes, but sheeeezzzze!

tldr: Geothermal plant good; homes bad.

Last edited by smithsb; 06-03-2018 at 05:01 PM. Reason: toned it down a bit
Old 06-03-2018, 06:53 PM
Elephant Whisperer

CNN is saying a dozen people who refused to leave are now trapped on an island in a sea of lava. Or there were a dozen. Not sure if that includes these three who were airlifted out this morning. I hope they have to pay the costs.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:59 PM

Maybe they are hoping to recreate the end battle in Revenge of the Sith. Anyone up for lava surfing?
Old 06-03-2018, 09:32 PM
Elephant Whisperer

The National Tsunami Warning Center just announced a 5.8 earthquake centered near Kilauea but said no tsunami was expected. Again, after the Boxing Day earthquake and tsunami in South and Southeast Asia, we were told tsunamis needed at least a 7.5 quake. But who knows?
Old 06-04-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
The National Tsunami Warning Center just announced a 5.8 earthquake centered near Kilauea but said no tsunami was expected. Again, after the Boxing Day earthquake and tsunami in South and Southeast Asia, we were told tsunamis needed at least a 7.5 quake. But who knows?
For quakes that propagate across the ocean, yeah, you need a bigger quake. But localized tsunamis are possible with smaller quakes - there is a whole exhibit in the local tsunami museum in Hilo about one such tsunami that killed a bunch of Boy Scouts in the 1970s.

I get all the Civil Defense warnings (which right now means several a day) and they frequently send the message that whatever the latest quake was, it won't generate a local tsunami.

I didn't feel that 5.8 quake (later updated to a volcanic explosion), which surprised me a little. I am feeling a lot of the shaking, but there is no direct correlation between magnitude and whether or not I feel it. It seems to be a combination of location, depth, and magnitude. I'm more likely to feel the deeper ones - I think the shaking radiates farther from the epicenter.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
CNN is saying a dozen people who refused to leave are now trapped on an island in a sea of lava. Or there were a dozen. Not sure if that includes these three who were airlifted out this morning. I hope they have to pay the costs.
Those rescued by air were issued citations for failure to obey a mandatory evacuation order. (whatever penalty that entails was not mentioned).

Also, volcano/lava tourists and locals are getting citations for bypassing checkpoints, trespass, loitering.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
Those rescued by air were issued citations for failure to obey a mandatory evacuation order. (whatever penalty that entails was not mentioned).
In California IIRC it's $1000 and/or 6 months. I can't find Hawaii's specific penalties listed tho.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-04-2018 at 04:09 PM.