Old 05-16-2018, 07:00 AM

Music that has unremovable associations for you

That is, a piece of classical music or an old popular song, its context grown hazy in the public mind, is harnessed to promote a product or prominently used as theme music for some movie or show, and gets associated with that, rather than its initial context.

The classic case for this (no doubt dying away, now that the generations move on) is the way the "William Tell Overture" was irrevocably tied to The Lone Ranger. That may be evaporating, but as long as old Warner Brothers cartoons are popular, other portions of the overture will be associate with Bugs Bunny.

Another older example -- I didn't realize until several years ago that the theme Alfred Hitchcock used for his 1950s TV show (and which then became associated with he himself) was a pre-existing piece of music, Funeral March for a marionette by Gounod

A more recent example (but still pretty old) is the overture from Carmen, better known, I suspect, as the Bad News Bears theme. I was spared this association, because I didn't care for the movie, and I grew up listening to Carmen (My mom's favorite "cleaning house" music)

Or the Steak -- It's What's for Dinner music, better known as "Hoedown" from Aaron Copland's Rodeo

I swear, when I first thought of this thread I had some very recent use in mind, but I can't think of it now. Maybe Dopers can suggest some very recent examples.

This sort of thing isn't forever -- once the generation that had the association in mind starts to die off, or simply forgets the association, it dies. One of the Big Three networks in New York used to use music from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony to close the local Evening News, but that's gone now. Back in the 1930s Universal Studio somehow decided that the music from "Swan Lake" was somehow "creepy". They used it as the opening music for the 1931 Dracula (practically the only music in the movie), then used it for [The Mummy, for which it was spectacularly inappropriate. I don't think anyone even suspects that "Swan Lake" is creepy these days.
It was then that he noticed that the Thing in the room with him consisted of a mass of hideously twisting tentacles and pseudopods, writhing in all directions, each of them an unworldly shade of green or yellow, with a nacreous glossy sheen.
---The Call of Chihuli
Old 05-16-2018, 07:08 AM

NM

Last edited by campp; 05-16-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

I had known that the William Tell Overture was the theme from The Lone Ranger. But I hadn't realized for years that the morning theme and the storm theme were used all the time in Warner Brothers cartoons and are still occasionally used today.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 05-16-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:33 AM

Entrance of the Gladiators is probably irrevocably tied to the circus.

For a certain segment of the population, hearing "Ecstacy of Gold" (from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly soundtrack) means Metallica is about to take the stage.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

"My Life" by Billy Joel will forever be connected to "Bosom Buddies".

Also, "Wayne's World" pretty much stole "Bohemian Rhapsody".
Old 05-16-2018, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

After the Smurfs were invented as comic book characters by Peyo, and after they were little figurines available at BP Service Stations, but before they were a regular TV series, there was a movie called The Smurfs And The Magic Flute, which was essentially a pilot for the series. And they borrowed a lot from Mozart's "The Magic Flute" for their incidental soundtrack, along with other recognisable classical pieces that, whenever I hear them, I associate with the animated show.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:58 AM

Some of us got all our classical music education from Bugs Bunny.

I dare not attend a posh symphony evening, because I just know I'll start to sing along: "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit..."

Last edited by digs; 05-16-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
After the Smurfs were invented as comic book characters by Peyo, and after they were little figurines available at BP Service Stations, but before they were a regular TV series, there was a movie called The Smurfs And The Magic Flute, which was essentially a pilot for the series. And they borrowed a lot from Mozart's "The Magic Flute" for their incidental soundtrack, along with other recognisable classical pieces that, whenever I hear them, I associate with the animated show.
When the Smurfs and the Magic Flute came out in the US in 1983, after the play Amadeus had been a hit (but a year before the Forman film version), My mind instantly joined the two:

"Dear God, why must these Little Blue Men be the Instruments of Your Glory, and not Me????"

"Gee, that's just Smurfy, Mr. Salieri!"
It was then that he noticed that the Thing in the room with him consisted of a mass of hideously twisting tentacles and pseudopods, writhing in all directions, each of them an unworldly shade of green or yellow, with a nacreous glossy sheen.
---The Call of Chihuli
Old 05-16-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post

I dare not attend a posh symphony evening, because I just know I'll start to sing along: "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit..."

Pepper Mill certainly did. When I hear The Blue Danube, I think of 2001: a Space Odyssey, but my wife thinks of the Buzzard and the Ugly Duckling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1R0Yw8oHcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl41R62jNQw

She emphasizes this by singing "QuackQuackQuackQuackQuack -- quack quack! -- quack quack!"
---The Call of Chihuli

Last edited by CalMeacham; 05-16-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:50 AM

"American Girl" by Tom Petty and "Goodbye Horses" from Q Lazzarus are forever associated with Silence of the Lambs for me, especially "Goodbye Horses" associated with Ted Levine dancing with his junk tucked between his legs.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post

Same here. I saw my very first opera - The Barber of Seville- last year and pictured the Bugs Bunny cartoon the entire time.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Also Sprach Zarathustra, of course.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:43 AM

Bittersweet Symphony will always evoke the image of a young Sarah Michelle Gellar getting caught with her cocaine cross and crying as Reese Witherspoon drives off in a cool car. I love the song, I love Cruel Intentions, but they will always and forever be linked in my head.

Also, EMF's Unbelievable still sounds like "Crumbelieveable" from that stupid Kraft commercial a few years back.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 AM

The Flower Duet is forever associated with The Hunger.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:09 PM

There are a couple of pieces of classical music that are stuck indelibly in the minds of a lot of people over here because of an advertising association:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvNdhriwGuM (the "Baldy Man" character in this was a regular in a popular sketch show)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJMAVfkI0io

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mq59ykPnAE
Old 05-16-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
The Flower Duet is forever associated with The Hunger.

And, over here, British Airways
Old 05-16-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
"My Life" by Billy Joel will forever be connected to "Bosom Buddies".
The other day I was driving a junior colleague to a business meeting and "My Life" came on the radio and I spent 5 minutes explaining Tom Hanks early career choices to the younger guy.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:20 PM

O'Fortuna as Ozzy's entrance music.

ARE YOU READY TO ROCK AND ROLL?!?!?!?
Old 05-16-2018, 12:36 PM

Listen to the Mockingbird will always be The Three Stooges.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:39 PM

We have an ice hockey team that plays at the War Memorial and the lights are dimmed and they come out onto the rink to 'Hells Bells' by AC/DC
Old 05-16-2018, 01:45 PM

Apocalypse Now, if nothing else, introduced "Ride of the Valkyries" to most of my generation. Mind you, most of the guy were too busy gizzing off to the Swell Battle Scenes.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

I associate "Yakety Sax" with Benny Hill. That is not a bad thing.

One day, I realized that one of Benny's other signature tunes is a speeded-up version of Beethoven's "Für Elise". That's a little weird.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:09 PM

I can't hear "Kalinka" without a hockey game.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Some more sports-related ones, for me:

"Sirius," by the Alan Parsons Project (an instrumental which segues into "Eye in the Sky") is linked to the Chicago Bulls -- they used it during player introductions during the Michael Jordan / championship era (and, as far as I know, they still do).

"Kiss Him Goodbye," by Steam, is linked to the Chicago White Sox, who've played the chorus of the song since the 1970s when the opposing team removes a pitcher.

"Chelsea Dagger," by the Fratellis, is linked to the Chicago Blackhawks, as it's been their "goal song" for the past decade or so.

"Bang the Drum All Day," by Todd Rundgren, is linked to the Green Bay Packers, as, since the late '80s, they play the opening of it when they score a touchdown.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 05-16-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
For a certain segment of the population, hearing "Ecstacy of Gold" (from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly soundtrack) means Metallica is about to take the stage.
And the theme to "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" for The Ramones. Didn't know that Metallica stole that idea. I probably did at one time (saw them twice) but it's no longer in my memory banks.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Another one I remembered:

"Every 1's a Winner," by Hot Chocolate, always makes me think of the TV game show "Family Feud." When the song was popular in the late '70s, one of the local TV stations in Green Bay used the song in an ad they produced, to promote the syndicated version of that show.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
We have an ice hockey team that plays at the War Memorial and the lights are dimmed and they come out onto the rink to 'Hells Bells' by AC/DC
I believe newly-selected HOF reliever Trevor Hoffman did it first.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 05-16-2018, 05:01 PM

Stealers Wheel's only hit, "Stuck in the Middle with You" is always going to be associated with Reservoir Dogs. Wikipedia lists a number of other media creations that pay homage to the song being used in the particular scene that it's in.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:07 PM

Recently the song that I had always thought was called Ragtime and had always assumed was written as the theme song for The Sting was played by a player piano in Westworld. With some googling I found that it was really called The Entertainer and was written in 1902. It'll always be the theme for The Sting to me, though.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:17 PM

This may venture into TMI territory, but the entire album of Dan Gibson's "Celtic Awakening" reminds me of being in the shower with my most recent girlfriend.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:09 PM

Any time I hear a slide whistle I think of a penis getting erect.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowacks View Post
Stealers Wheel's only hit, "Stuck in the Middle with You" is always going to be associated with Reservoir Dogs. Wikipedia lists a number of other media creations that pay homage to the song being used in the particular scene that it's in.
That's the first one that occurred to me, too.

"Three Blind Mice" also makes me think of The Three Stooges.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Any time I hear a slide whistle I think of a penis getting erect.
"Is that a Slide Whistle in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

Old 05-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

"Mr. Sandman" and Halloween.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:51 PM

Baroque Hoedown by Perrey and Kingsley is the theme song of Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade (1972) and later parades.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

When I was in junior high school (grades 7, 8, 9) the 3-minute time between periods was indicated by the playing of top-40 radio on the public address system. I didn't listen to popular music at that age, so all my knowledge of that musical era (1981-1984) is in three minute bursts.

There are lots of songs that bring me eight back to hustling from one class to another on junior high. I can't name them all but the most memorable one for whatever reason is Michael Jackson's "Human Nature."
Old 05-16-2018, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

"I Only Have Eyes for You" by the Flamingos is linked to the episode of Buffy by the same name.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:34 PM

The Toreador song from Carmen will always be the Palm Dairy Products song to me first, and the Gilligan's Island Hamlet "Neither a borrower nor a lender be" song second.

The song "Lavender" by Marillion will always remind me of Angus Deayton from "Nighty Night".

Last edited by hogarth; 05-16-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:15 PM

Theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DurycX6nee8
Old 05-17-2018, 01:29 AM

I was required to memorize Verdi's "La Donne e Mobile" in college for a class. All I remember now is the first verse. After that, my mind automatically switches to Voyager's EMH singing the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKAL_219oH8

-Joe Benninotti, that hockey guy from Versus!
Old 05-17-2018, 04:19 AM

Anything with higher BPM and some sort of decent sub or sine wave reminds me of my previous love of Jungle or Goa Trance, man I'm getting old as fuck these days
Old 05-17-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpnDude View Post
Baroque Hoedown by Perrey and Kingsley is the theme song of Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade (1972) and later parades.
I'm not sure if that fits the OP. It's certainly iron-clad associated with the Main Street Electrical Parade, but it's not exactly a piece of classical music, or something you're likely to encounter casually anywhere else. I had to look around to find any of Perrey and Kingsley's other works. The only place I found it easily was on a collection of "Disney Hits". Aside from the Main St. Electrical Parade, the only place I ever heard it aside from that was the short "The Collector" that Mike Jittlov* made for Disney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HBa58vtRbg

*Jittlov is a truly under-appreciated animator best known for The Wizard of Speed and Time, although he's made a lot of poorly-distributed, highly creative animated pieces. Have a look at his demo reel, Animato:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...2DCB&FORM=VIRE
---The Call of Chihuli
Old 05-17-2018, 08:12 AM

I just thought of another one: "Non, je ne regrette rien" is the Inception music, in more ways than one. Not only is the song itself featured in the movie, but the iconic Inception "BRAAAM!" is the song slowed way, way down.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

The Sailor's Hornpipe is and always will be the first part of the Popeye theme.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 AM

"The Final Countdown" will always remind me of the entrance of Gob and his tricks illusions.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I'm surprised with so many Python fans on SDMB, nobody has mentioned John Phillip Sousa's "Liberty Bell March" yet.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:58 PM

Vera Lynn’s rendition of We’ll Meet Again always fills me with a warm glow … from the heat of global thermonuclear war.

And who can listen to Liszt’s Hungarian Rhapsody #2 without imagining a cheeky mouse gliding up and down the keyboard? Not the first nor last toon to feature this tune, but T & J was certainly the best.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:20 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
The Toreador song from Carmen will always be the Palm Dairy Products song to me first, and the Gilligan's Island Hamlet "Neither a borrower nor a lender be" song second.
Oh, yes, I still hear the Skipper's voice when I hear that song. "There's just one other thing, you ought to do...to thine own self be true!"
Old 05-18-2018, 01:39 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Oops, double post removed.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 05-18-2018 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:57 AM

Barber's Adagio for Strings is irrevocably tied to the game Homeworld for me.

This isn't a bad thing, as it was one of my favorite games and the use of the song was inspired, given the plot--a perfect mix of melancholy and epic. But I suspect that most people don't associate the song with "space opera video game".