Old 05-18-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I hate that too. Fortunately, my Beemer has a button that turns that option off. It's right below the ignition.
Yeah, mine is off and will be for eternity. One feature I initially hated but now love is the heads-up projection screen (for the uninitiated, this is a hologramish display you see that floats at the end of the hood and displays speed, navigation, etc).

My peeve is the voice command system. Me: "Navigation. Street Address. 123 Main Street." Car voice: "Media. Music. Favorites." I exaggerate, but there must be something about my voice/diction that isn't compatible. Mrs. Shark speaks German and for a lark we changed the system language to German -- voice commands worked flawlessly in Deutsch!
Old 05-18-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
This is to reduce fuel consumption and (if the catalytic converter remains hot enough) air pollution. I care enough about the second part that I hope it becomes mandatory on all cars and especially trucks, but of course that'll never happen in the U.S.

Apart from the hybrids, we've had it on two Mercedes cars(*) so far and it restarts the engine when you lift your foot off the brake pedal, no delay at all at a traffic light. It doesn't trigger if the car stops very briefly, such as a stop sign with no cross traffic.

(* What's the plural of Mercedes? Mercedess? Mercedii?)
(Acknowledging I'm a horrible human being) I don't care at all about gas mileage, and my X3 does cut out at any hint of stoppage. As I said upthread, it's possible that the BMW start/stop system just really sucks.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
I'm just a cranky old person here, but I sorta feel like "200 or more channels" is also a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Depends on whose problem! The cable companies' problem was that they needed a justification for charging the sorts of astronomical rates I hear about these days. (We haven't had cable in 20 years.) It's easier to charge $80/month for 250 channels of garbage than 50 channels of garbage.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:00 PM

Ah, how timely. I used to have G@#le News set as my browser's home page. Until last year when they "improved" the site's layout to the point that I no longer found it useful. So I changed to another news aggregator that had the novel approach of presenting information in a readable fashion.

This week they made those changes to the mobile version too. No going back, no reverting, naturally. So I looked around and found this page, which is nothing more than the old site's layout.

This strikes me as a business opportunity - a "reversion service". Copy a business / product / service, wait until they "improve" it to the point its customers don't want it any more, then offer it up in the way that actually worked! There are a few web sites that do this sort of thing for software, and I hope I see more of it going forward.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
#1 I realize that the British national pastime is criticizing everything Americans do, but just because things are different here doesn't mean they're worse.

#2 electric ranges in the US are typically on 240VAC, 30 or 50 amp circuits. good luck putting a usable switch on that circuit.
I didn't say anything about "everything Americans do." I live in America and I like it. I'm just point out that one thing in the UK is vastly superior.

Electric ranges in the UK are on 240V, 32-45 amp circuits, and the switches seem to work just fine.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
As I said upthread, it's possible that the BMW start/stop system just really sucks.
NEIN!

Nothing about ze BMW sucks! If you don't like it, ze problem is YOU!

Old 05-18-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
This week they made those changes to the mobile version too. No going back, no reverting, naturally. So I looked around and found this page, which is nothing more than the old site's layout.
Thankyou a thousand times over! Google News "upgrade" was horrible in so many ways. In my favorite browser it kept scrolling back to the top when I moved my mouse to click on something. Nearly unusable. Now I notice that doesn't happen but when I click on a link I get a blank page. Oh, and I get text overwriting text in places. So, even better, right?

A page like this can use 20 year old html elements. Keep it simple, it works for more people AND it saves developer/maintainer time.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
A page like this can use 20 year old html elements. Keep it simple, it works for more people AND it saves developer/maintainer time.
Ugh, don't get me started on "modern" web site coding.

There are a slew of sites that behave in stupid ways on my iPad:

On one, if you try to open a link in another tab it does so in BOTH tabs and you have to click back in the original one to get back to the home page.

A few constantly lose the displayed content as you scroll and have to reload.

Many disable scaling. WTF?!?! This is incredibly annoying, and these sites invariably use about 60% of screen real estate to show actual content, and in a small font size. Wasteful and stupid.

One site has the same exact articles turning up on the dynamic margins of the site over and over again. For weeks. Looking at you, The Onion!

I like to use the "reader" function to save pages for offline reading. Not sure if this is a problem with Firefox or the sites themselves, but a few are notorious for not allowing it. Or they do allow it, but you end up with content from another section of the site.

In almost all of these instances where the content gets screwed up in some manner, the ads work seem to work flawlessly.

I really appreciate sites that don't go in for all the dynamic nonsense. Go ahead and have ads, I can ignore them. But going back to some older style site presentations would be very welcome.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:00 PM

I just got a used car with dual climate control. UGHHHHH. I want ice crystals or flames coming out of the vents until I say otherwise. So I'm constantly readjusting it. Fortunately I found the way to sinc up both sides so it's only one set of controls to adjust. It was SOOOOOOO much easier just flipping the temp control to where I wanted it. And if the controls started to bind it was a few drops of oil on a cable. I didn't have to pull one panel off to get to it. it cost me nothing. compare that to my buddy's luxury car that cost him $900 to replace a $10 diverter motor. I'm seriously thinking of rebuilding the motor/transmission on my high mileage car and running it another 200,000 miles. Pull the wheels and use it as a casket when I'm done.

Last edited by Magiver; 05-18-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:00 AM

A website I visit recently made it so that when you clicked "Log-in" on the main screen, instead of going to a new screen to input your information a pop-up now shows up on the side to allow you to input your information there, then once you loggin the pop-up says "Welcome <Insert Name>" and you have to manually close it.

Who the hell would think adding an extra step would be somehow make it better to log in?
Old 05-19-2018, 07:25 AM

I didn't read through the whole thread but, in case nobody has mentioned it, the remote control for a car radio. Who came up with that idea and why? And while I'm at it, car radios in general. What is with all these menus and counter-intuitive button pushing? Its as if they make them complicated just because they can. The wife got a new one a few years ago and I had to consult the 100 page (slight exaggeration) user manual to figure out how to turn it on. It was the smallest button on the damn thing and designed for someone with toothpicks for fingers.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
I didn't read through the whole thread but, in case nobody has mentioned it, the remote control for a car radio. Who came up with that idea and why? And while I'm at it, car radios in general. What is with all these menus and counter-intuitive button pushing? Its as if they make them complicated just because they can. The wife got a new one a few years ago and I had to consult the 100 page (slight exaggeration) user manual to figure out how to turn it on. It was the smallest button on the damn thing and designed for someone with toothpicks for fingers.
That's a good one to bounce off from: remote controls. There are remote controls for things you don't often touch. Ceiling fans, for example. We have wall switches to turn ceiling fans on and off. If I need to adjust the speed of the fan (which I might have to do once or twice a season), then I get up and do it. It's not like changing a TV channel, which I do quite often.

And I've seen the remotes for car radios, which make sense if you're in the back seat of a 100 foot long limo and the radio is by the driver, and you want to turn the volume up because the station suddenly plays "Play That Funky Music White Boy," but otherwise, in a normal car, your arm should be long enough to reach the radio controls without having to fiddle with a stupid little remote control (especially since car designers are putting all the damned controls on the steering wheel now).

I'm constantly reminded of Jeff Goldblum's line in Jurassic Park about just because we can do something doesn't mean we should.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
A website I visit recently made it so that when you clicked "Log-in" on the main screen, instead of going to a new screen to input your information a pop-up now shows up on the side to allow you to input your information there, then once you loggin the pop-up says "Welcome <Insert Name>" and you have to manually close it.

Who the hell would think adding an extra step would be somehow make it better to log in?
Another pet peeve with websites: silly changes to make your site 'unique'. Just stop that. We maybe want unique information, but we don't want unique ways to fill in information; just do it the standard way that we use everywhere else.

Some examples:
- a web site that wanted the city, state, postal code part of an address entered in an odd order. I understand that going from the largest geographic order first makes it easier to validate the address. But people have been using addresses in a specific order for a century or so now. Changing that is not user friendly. (And skip unneeded info. Entering the postal code usually is enough for the computer to automatically fill in the city & state, so have it do that.)
- Most modern browsers will now pre-fill common fields like first name, last name, email address, etc. automatically. A very helpful feature. But it depends on the webpage properly coding the input fields so the browser can recognize that it is a field for first name or whatever. Some webpages seem to be unable to code properly for this, and expect the user to enter manually all that information. (Personally, I usually just go somewhere else -- there is almost always somewhere else on the web offering this same thing.)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

A website one that probably bugs only me:

Say you're ordering something, or registering your new string trimmer's warranty, or getting on a mailing list, or whatever. Enter name, enter address, fine. Then you get to the STATE part of your address, and rather than having a little text box to enter the two characters of your state, there's a menu. A menu with fifty items on it. So now I have to either use my mouse to navigate this 50+ item menu, or tab to it and see if it'll keyboard-shortcut. I live in Texas, so I hit T, and it jumps to Tennessee. It might let me arrow down, it might not. Usually, if I hit T again, it'll go to the next item, Texas. Well, how is that shorter than just entering two characters myself in a text box?

I don't understand why everyone, everyone, everyone who asks for an address has somehow universally agreed that "state" should be a menu instead of a text box.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:07 AM

There are some new parking garages near me that have sensors and lights over each parking space. The lights turn red if there's a car in the space, green if there isn't. The useless part is that you can only really see the lights once you're going down that aisle of the garage. And since you are, you'll see the empty parking space when you drive past it, anyway. It's not like it saves you any driving, or lets you home in on an available spot from a distance.

I can foresee possible uses for this information in the future. If the system won't let more cars in when all the spaces are full, or if there's some sort of app that guides you to a space, that would be helpful. Considering how poorly most garages are kept up, right now this just seems like something that's expensive to maintain for no real benefit.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
A website one that probably bugs only me:
It bothers more than just you.
Lucky you aren't in Minnesota, where it commonly takes 4-6 keystrokes to get to the state in the menu. (The number varies, depending if they include the US Overseas territories in the list. So you can't even learn a uniform number of keystrokes.) And pity Montana or North Dakota, which take 8 or more keystrokes. Many times what it would take to just key in the 2 letters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
I don't understand why everyone, everyone, everyone who asks for an address has somehow universally agreed that "state" should be a menu instead of a text box.
Lazy programmers do this because it's easier to code. The logic for choosing an item from a menu is built into Windows. If they just accepted the 2-letter entries, they would have to code edits to verify them. (Simple edits -- just check against a table of the valid ones, but still more coding work.)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:17 AM

Have we mentioned touchless bathroom fixtures? Found myself waving my hands at a faucet that couldn’t have cared less yesterday. Dmitri Martin covered this perfectly.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
This puzzles me as well -- I suppose a backseat passenger could use it?

Something I really like in my cars are the media controls on the steering wheel. Except on one car it's on the "wrong" side of the wheel and I often turn on the cruise control instead of the stereo.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
There are some new parking garages near me that have sensors and lights over each parking space. The lights turn red if there's a car in the space, green if there isn't. The useless part is that you can only really see the lights once you're going down that aisle of the garage. And since you are, you'll see the empty parking space when you drive past it, anyway. It's not like it saves you any driving, or lets you home in on an available spot from a distance.

I can foresee possible uses for this information in the future. If the system won't let more cars in when all the spaces are full, or if there's some sort of app that guides you to a space, that would be helpful. Considering how poorly most garages are kept up, right now this just seems like something that's expensive to maintain for no real benefit.
The only time I've seen these lights, there was also a sign at the beginning of the row telling you how many open spaces are in each row.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
By far, the most widespread "problem that does not exist" is food past its best-by date. The solution: Eat it.

The best-by date is the last date on which the seller of a product will stand behind a guarantee that it meets all freshness criteria. That date has absolutely no other meaning, implications or significance.
Nonsense. True, things like canned food are good for quite some time after the "sell by " or best by" date, but things like ground meat, milk etc can easily spoil.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:35 PM

Why ask for my city when I'm filling in an address AND the zip code? Just ask for the zip code and let your database look up my city.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Why ask for my city when I'm filling in an address AND the zip code? Just ask for the zip code and let your database look up my city.
Good point.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Not only can zip codes straddle city boundaries, they can also straddle state boundaries. The border around ND is notorious for this.

Allowing a person to enter the zip code and then autofilling the state/city when unique could be helpful. But then you have people mistyping the zip code and just accepting the fill-in. With both there is redundancy that reduces errors.

But such verification leads to problems. They split our zip code and it took quite a while for our new one to propagate to the online form folks. So it kept getting rejected as invalid.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Sounds like just a bad design. The ones I've been to it pretty clear to look down and see if there's any open spots or not before turning down the aisle.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Not only can zip codes straddle city boundaries, they can also straddle state boundaries. The border around ND is notorious for this.

Allowing a person to enter the zip code and then autofilling the state/city when unique could be helpful. But then you have people mistyping the zip code and just accepting the fill-in. With both there is redundancy that reduces errors.

But such verification leads to problems. They split our zip code and it took quite a while for our new one to propagate to the online form folks. So it kept getting rejected as invalid.
But the address goes to the location of the post office that the zip code serves, doesn't it? Even if the zip code straddles cities or state, there's still only one main post office that serves that zip code.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@T-Bonham.net View Post
Lucky you aren't in Minnesota, where it commonly takes 4-6 keystrokes to get to the state in the menu. (The number varies, depending if they include the US Overseas territories in the list. So you can't even learn a uniform number of keystrokes.) And pity Montana or North Dakota, which take 8 or more keystrokes.
A related gripe about the way drop-down lists are usually implemented:

If I hit the letter 'M', why does Maine (first state that starts with that letter) typically appear as the last entry in the newly updated list? Surely it should be first, with the rest of the 'M' states appearing below it.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:08 AM

Lots of short semi-replies, so no quoting.

The only thing I can think of for Maine is the postal abbreviation. But that just explains why Massachusetts would be above Maine.

The website design is just laziness, as combo boxes have existed as long as HTML forms have existed. Those allow you to type or select. And, if you're going to customize them, it should at least replicate the original features. And the fancy stuff should be performant. I hate the tendency to use new stuff when the old stuff worked. Just skin it.

It seems to me that the keyless cars should have already cut off after a reasonable period unless you explicitly set them to stay running. They can detect if the keyfob is nearby, so they should be able to tell you're not just waiting in the car with it on.

Yeah, Windows 8 reinvented the wheel, but Windows 10 still kept too much of that stuff. And every feature update to Windows 10 is this, creating so many problems. Just make a stable, reliable OS.

I agree the oven should work without the clock. I get the move to make them run on timers, so they don't get left on. But you don't need to set the clock for a timer to work.

The outlet switch makes some sense, I guess, but the real thing the UK does right are the plugs. Especially when compared to having to wire a plug yourself. That was just asking for trouble.

And, just in general, this is what I consider advertising to be nowadays. It's not about letting you know about something you may need, but trying to create an artificial need and then providing something to fill it. That is the reason I go out of my way to avoid ads so much. If I do allow ads on a site, I also write a script that makes them invisible, or zoom in where I can't see them.

The only "feature" I can think of that I hate is just planned obsolescence in heaters. They all just get to a point where they will overheat enough and turn off. They can't keep the fans working, for some reason. The only way to keep one working is to never turn it off. But at least I get why they do that.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:39 AM

My local McDonalds is in a high traffic area so it's always packed with customers but also has a lot of people hanging out inside who just go there to use the WiFi or homeless using it to sleep. I'm assuming because of this traffic the work staff is constantly concerned with making food and not maintenance since the place doesn't look like it's been cleaned in decades and still has Mac Tonight posters around that have literally been there since the mid-90's (when I first went to the place).

Last year apparently they updated the establishment thoroughly cleaning and modernizing it and gutting the original floor plan, got rid of some of the larger booths to make room for more individual chairs and tables, took down all those old McDonalds posters and put in multiple HDTVs that aired the news. However because it was still a high traffic area all these improvements basically immediately fell apart because of no maintenance, with the HDTV's only lasting about a month before they were taken down because somebody had broken one of them. So now it's back to being a broken and groody McDonalds meaning all that money spent on improvements was wasted.

Their solution of updating the restaurant to make it seem cleaner and newer fell apart because they failed to find a solution to the original problem, that there's nobody cleaning the place.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
But the address goes to the location of the post office that the zip code serves, doesn't it? Even if the zip code straddles cities or state, there's still only one main post office that serves that zip code.
1. Not all things are sent USPS. Other shippers do their own routing.

2. Even USPS frequently ignores the zip code! We have a relative who lives on a street named after a state. Most mail sent there ends up going to that state and then bouncing back.

There's how things should work and then there's how things go in reality.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
My job requires me to call a phone number every so often and the phone number is an automated phone system where you basically a given a series of Yes/No questions along with ID number requests and must answer them before being given the information you wanted.
I read this, and assume you work for the CIA or MI6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I think Windows usability peaked at Windows XP. Every "upgrade" since then has been a step backwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
But agree that Windows finally got it right at XP and has not really been adding functionality since then. Maybe for some. Not for me.
I agree with both of these statements; it seems every "upgrade" decreases functionality and tries to make my (still working) old computers obsolete. I have quite a bit of old software that's still pefectly functional, such as some engineering programs I still use, and MS Office stuff. Take Publisher 2007 for example; I help fix/update a few webpages for an HOA out in the rural sticks of NM--they use some web features that aren't supported by "upgrades" to Publisher. While I think MS tells us the upgrades are for "security," I really believe they are pushing these upgrades for planned obsolescence. Don't get me started on the number of iterations I've had for iTunes, that changes the interface as often as I change my underwear (daily, thank you).

I get around their security crap by leaving my old XP and Win 7 boxes on the desk, unconnected to the Internet as 'standalone.' I'm now building a collection of functional antiques. Thanks a lot, MicroSoft. ::shakesfist:: Do Macs have these problems?

Then there are a few threads where a poster wants to freeze people until we cure death, and replace everything (including human consciousness) with AI and nanobots. That's a totally different realm of "WTF?"

Tripler
It's time to bring out this quote: "Get off my lawn."

Last edited by Tripler; 05-25-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Does speed, RAM, etc. really need whole new OS? Or, how do I make my pocket knife better?
Old 05-25-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Sounds like just a bad design. The ones I've been to it pretty clear to look down and see if there's any open spots or not before turning down the aisle.
The particular garage where I noticed this has displays at the entrance that tell you how many available spots are on each floor. I'll have to check next time to see if the numbers are even in the right ballpark. Even if they are, you'd have to remember them as you drive through the garage and hope that the promised space is still available by the time you got there. Having the numbers at the end of each aisle sounds like a potential improvement.

But this garage is also small enough that it really only has one way through it. It's not a complicated search pattern. You'd find the same parking spots, in the same order, even without the lights.

And honestly, parking behavior may be among the most nonsensical things that human beings do. When I go to the airport, seems like anyone I'm with wants to park on the lowest floor with the first available spot they find. I drive up to the second-highest floor (so my car will be under cover) and park right near the elevators; piece o' cake.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Bought a used two door (no second seat) pick up truck. The previous owner put a stereo with a remote control in it. It is a real fancy stereo. It's got like two dozen different control buttons on it. That kinda pisses me off too. I really only use the truck to plow my driveway, so I can never remember how to operate it.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Redundancy is a good thing.

An address with "Grafton, OH 40444" at the end has a chance of being resolved correctly even though the correct zip code is 44044. If all you put in is 40444, it goes to Bryantsville, Kentucky.

Quote:

Allowing a person to enter the zip code and then autofilling the state/city when unique could be helpful.
Zip codes are never divided into separate city areas. If a zip code has multiple approved city names, all city names are equally valid for the entire zip code. (But redundancy is still good.)

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 05-25-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
This puzzles me as well -- I suppose a backseat passenger could use it?

Something I really like in my cars are the media controls on the steering wheel. Except on one car it's on the "wrong" side of the wheel and I often turn on the cruise control instead of the stereo.
There is a whole subculture of Car Audio enthusiasts, who show off the awesomeness of their systems from outside the car. Hence the “need” for remote controls.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:31 AM

Regarding keyless car ignitions: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/b...ure-journalism
Old 05-26-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
And honestly, parking behavior may be among the most nonsensical things that human beings do. When I go to the airport, seems like anyone I'm with wants to park on the lowest floor with the first available spot they find. I drive up to the second-highest floor (so my car will be under cover) and park right near the elevators; piece o' cake.

Yeah, this. Once you're enough levels up that you'd use the elevator in place of the stairs, the levels are functionally indistinguishable, so why not just go for the one that will likely have the most empty spaces? It really drives me nuts when I get stuck behind someone waiting for a space on level 3, when it would be faster for everyone if they just drove up to level 4 or 5.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
I'll clarify - it dims the screen immediately, before you've actually made any adjustment. Then you move the slider to select a brightness level. Only when you let go does it actually implement the level you set. This means you never actually see the brightness level you are setting. I frequently have to do it twice - once as an estimate, another time to correct.

In my most charitable moments, I have a hard time imagining what the software people could possibly have been thinking when they built that aspect of the interface.

Generally something along the lines of "The marketing people who told us this is what people want are idiots."
Old 05-26-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
There is a whole subculture of Car Audio enthusiasts, who show off the awesomeness of their systems from outside the car. Hence the “need” for remote controls.
Ah, got it! Would never had occurred to me.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:21 PM

The dropdown menu for the state is easy to explain -- most of the programmers live in California, which takes only one keypress.

More seriously, using a dropdown does eliminate one type of error, where the user types in two characters which are not a state abbreviation.