Old 03-04-2018, 05:48 PM

A Hockey Question

Mrs. Cups and I go to our fair share of minor league hockey games, and we're slowly getting to know the rules, but there's one thing that still confuses me.

More often than not, when there is a face off, the ref will talk to the two player facing off and then prepare to put the puck down, only to stand back off and say something and one of the players skates out and is replaced by another. I don't watch pro hockey that much, but I never remember this happening. What's causing this restart and why does the one player have to leave?
Old 03-04-2018, 06:08 PM

It happens in the NHL reasonably often. The short version is that the centre who was kicked out broke a rule to try to gain an advantage in winning the faceoff. As a punishment, he's kicked out and another player from his team has to take the faceoff (if the replacement also violates a rule that would get him kicked out, their team is assessed a two-minute minor for delay of game).

The main violations that can get a centre kicked out, IIRC, are:

1. Not getting into position when ordered by the linesman/ref.

2. Not keeping their stick on the ice before the puck is released.

3. Moving their skates out of the hash marks before the puck is released.

4. Another player on the centre's team encroaches into the faceoff circle before the puck is dropped. This one is most frequently called by an official who isn't performing the faceoff, as the one dropping the puck has enough to watch for as it is.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:14 PM

nm - ninja'ed

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 03-04-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:29 PM

What Rysto said, especially number 3. Players would encroach beyond the hash marks to a ridiculous extent, to the point where they were headbutting each other and winning face-offs with their gloves.

You may be noticing it more this year because the NHL is cracking down (ostensibly for safety reasons). Starting this season, (1) the calls are much stricter (to the letter of the book), and (2) a second infraction on the same face-off results in a minor penalty.

The same may apply depending on which minor league you are watching. The AHL, for example, is doing the same thing.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:40 PM

Too late ETA: more than you'll ever need to know in the NHL rule book (large PDF warning) starting on page 107.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:29 PM

Thanks all! Our beloved Solar Bears are in the ECHL so I don't know if the strictness applies that far down, but regardless, it's great to have a bit more of a handle on it.

Thanks!