Old 10-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
Cease-fire periods are not too hard to change in CK2. When I get a chance, I'll see about changing them in Stellaris.
I think it's as simple as changing this line in common\defines\00_defines.lua :
TRUCE_YEARS = 10, -- Truce last for X years

To make it a mod (so it doesn't gett overwritten by a game update), in your mod folder create a file, "mod\my_mod\common\defines\my_mod.txt" and add the line
NDefines.NGameplay.TRUCE_YEARS = 10 -- Truce last for X years
Note the lack of a comma.

Change the 10 to whatever you like.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
It's supposed to scale with the size of the empire, so that it's easier to take more planets from larger empires. Cease-fire periods are not too hard to change in CK2. When I get a chance, I'll see about changing them in Stellaris.

By the way, I always run with mods in Paradox games. Some from the workshop, some of mine own tinkering. Currently, I've increased the maximum number of leaders to a large number, because I see no reason that an empire controlling one or more worlds would have any limit on that number. Still have to pay for them.

I've also dramatically slowed the pace of population growth. I don't like planets filling up quickly. It also slows down the game pace, since empires are more resource-limited.
I appreciate the insight, and I do run with mods - most importantly, the one that reduces Frontier Outpost upkeep to zero. It became especially important in 1.3 with the reduced availability of planets.

Another problem I have noticed that seems to have cropped up in 1.3 is idiotic behavior by my Empire's citizens. So, I colonize a new world. I set up my initial production queues. It builds stuff. A few months later, I get a warning that one of my planets has starving people! I check into it..

Every available space on the new colony is filled with people. More than a dozen pops all migrated at the exact same time to a planet that could not produce the food to sustain them. And they're pissed, forming factions to try and make an independence movement, because there's no food.

Goddamn morons.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:37 AM

I picked up Stellaris plus Leviathans a few weeks ago. I thought I'd love it, since CK2 and MOO/MOO2 are some of my favorite games. So far, it's OK but I'm not impressed.

My first game I did on Iron Man mode. Which was a mistake, since one of the big event chains is broken and only fixable by console. I also made some strategic mistakes, wasting a ton of influence on outposts, and ended up with a peaceful 5-planet empire with nowhere to expand. So I gave up on that game.

My second game is a lot better so far. The empire had some good expansion opportunities early on, and I didn't worry about antagonizing neighbors in the early game land grab. But once the expansion was done, I wasn't sure what to do... so I started a war with a weak neighbor for a planet and better control of hyperspace lanes. Which I won easily enough, though I made the tactical mistake of allowing the enemy to rebuild a space station. So now I have a planet full of unhappy conquered aliens. Woo. What should I do next? I'm nearly out of good worlds to colonize, my science vessels have almost completed their exploration of the galaxy. I've discovered a Leviathan and started its event chain, but it's on the opposite side of the galaxy so I'm not sure if it'll lead anywhere interesting.

There is definitely a lot of tedious micromanagement for planet development. And it's not interspersed with a lot of entertaining content, either. The exploration and event chains are OK, but the really interesting stuff is infrequent. Diplomacy seems pretty dull and shallow. At the moment it seems to have all the fiddly technical details of other Paradox games, without the personality. At least in CK2, you had all sorts of intrigues and drama to fill the time during the ages of peaceful growth.

I'll keep playing my current game, to see if it gets more interesting. If not I'll try a new game with more challenging start conditions. Maybe more conflict in the early game will spice things up.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Like all Paradox games, Stellaris requires a good dose of configuration/modding to make it fun to play. Start a new game more tuned to your liking. Turn off clustered starts for more open space at the start. Adjust the size and shape of the galaxy, and the number of empires, advanced empires, and fallen empires.

And accept that some games simply end with your empire being crushed.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:22 AM

Oh, I understand that losing is fun -- some of my favorite memories of CK2 are failed rebellions against the Holy Roman Emperor. That's why I went straight to Iron Man mode in Stellaris (which would've been fine if there weren't bugged quest chains).

Any favorite scenarios or starting configurations? More open space at the start seems like it'll just prolong the tedious early game colonization phase. Maybe I should role-play my ethics more seriously, rather than just taking them as a serious of modest bonuses and restrictions...
Old 11-11-2016, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Lately, I've been playing with four-armed spiral galaxies, maximum number of empires (one-third of them advanced) and maximum fallen empires. No clustered starts, and twice or more the standard number of habitable planets. Hyperdrive only, because I like the extra "geography". That gives some space for most empires to get established before hitting limits.

I've also tried half the maximum number of empires, and no advanced or fallen ones in an elliptical galaxy with warp-drive only. That gives more of an open "new-world" feel, as opposed to an "old-world" like my usual.

I always fix the FTL method for each game. I don't like how they're balanced against each other, but they're all fun.

Another hot-fix was released yesterday. The game is in a good state now.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:39 AM

I'm having a great game at the moment. The galaxy is essentially divided into three parts. To the south is my empire. There's two medium powers next to me that I'm in the process of absorbing.

To the northeast is an awakened xenophobic fallen empire. They crushed the heck out of everybody and they've killed the two other fallen empires.

To the northwest is a major power, a semi-major power and a bunch of little states that have formed a federation.

The fallen empire is by far the most powerful force in the galaxy. They have a 3 or 4 100K fleets. I'm the second most powerful with about 150K total. The federation are not pushovers with maybe a combined fleet strength of 100-130K.

Right now, I'm consolidating my power. Integrating all of the vassals I've acquired. Building up my naval capacity and my fleets.

The final war* is coming and it ought to be a blast.

* - I say final war because if the fallen empire loses they're done even though they would lose maybe 8 systems out of the 30-40 they hold. If they can't win at full strength, they will never win from a weakened state and so after that it is nothing but mopping up. The same is true for me and federation. This is the last stand, everything is about equal and the winner will take it all.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 11-11-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:31 PM

After a little more reading, I now realize that plain old conquest is a poor prize from warfare. Once I get my recently conquered planet under control, I think it'll be time to start a Holy Crusade to make all my neighbors tributaries or vassals.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybratsche View Post
After a little more reading, I now realize that plain old conquest is a poor prize from warfare. Once I get my recently conquered planet under control, I think it'll be time to start a Holy Crusade to make all my neighbors tributaries or vassals.
The best thing to do is to liberate 1-2 planets. Especially 1 in the early game. The newly liberated planets will have your ethics and if they're signifcantly weaker than you they will become your vassal. So let 20-30 years go by and the most of the population will diverge to your ethics due to the planet being their capital. The assimilate it and your good to go.

The drawback to this is the time frame required. For example, right now I'm just cede planets because I need the energy, minerals and most importantly spacedocks to raise my naval capacity so I can face off against the monster that is the awakened fallen empire.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:09 PM

Well, I lost. The Fallen Empire demanded my surrender and I told him to pound sand. He then came over with 700K worth of ships and destroyed my puny fleet of 300K.

He ended up taking several systems. They weren't particularly good or important but it is clear I will never be strong enough to take on the fallen empire.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:28 AM

With respect to the 1.5 patch, Martin Alward said:

"It's a while away, that's all I can say right now."

What exactly does that mean? Who knows? But I think we can certainly assume it won't be this month and likely not February either.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
With respect to the 1.5 patch, Martin Alward said:

"It's a while away, that's all I can say right now."

What exactly does that mean? Who knows? But I think we can certainly assume it won't be this month and likely not February either.
That's a bummer but I'd rather they take their time and make it a really amazing one.

Any word on whether it's coming with new DLC?
Old 01-12-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
Any word on whether it's coming with new DLC?
Yes, it is.

Quote:
Today we'll be talking about a feature that was hinted at in last dev diary, Ascension Perks. Ascension Perks are related to the Traditions and Unity system, but is a paid feature in the (unannounced) expansion accompanying the 1.5 'Banks' update, rather than a part of the update itself. Those without the expansion will get full access to the Traditions and Unity features, but not to the Ascension Perks themselves.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:22 AM

Ooooh, liking those end game perks. Become the Borg.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:40 AM

I agree. Patch 1.5, with the DLC, looks like it will be the breakout point for Stellaris, which in my view has been a lot of fun so far. I'm sitting at about 300 hours played so I've gotten value for my dollars. I will get the DLC with near certainty.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:46 AM

I promised I would update this thread when the 1.5 patch and DLC release date was announced. Well, I may be designing killer robots to end human civilization but I keep my promises.

April 6th 2017.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/stellaris-utopia/
Old 02-27-2017, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

I am really looking forward to this Utopia expansion. Population management will be easier (finer controls) and more challenging (harder to find the optimum). I like the Victoria II vibe.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:26 AM

No changes to the irritating war system? Guess I'll wait for 1.6.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:11 AM

I've just discovered the Star Trek: New Horizons mod. Kinda cool! They replaced some of the ship model/sprites, and the UI audio cues with the LCARS audio cues.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:55 PM

The official 1.5 patch notes have been posted!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...notes.1008247/

Some nice UI and QoL improvements on top of all the other banks/expansion goodness. After the meh-ness of Mass Effect: Andromeda, I'm really looking for my sci-fi itch to be scratched with the Expansion and update.

Just one more week!!!

Last edited by Kinthalis; 03-30-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:48 PM

Lots of nice stuff coming with that patch. Maybe it's odd, but one point I'm most excited about is:
Quote:
Food is now stored and distributed empire-wide instead of being local to individual planets. When food reaches the empire storage cap, surplus food contributes to increased Pop growth across the empire.
In other words, your built-up core worlds should be able to contribute to the growth of your frontier colonies without any micromanaging.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Immortal View Post
Lots of nice stuff coming with that patch. Maybe it's odd, but one point I'm most excited about is:

In other words, your built-up core worlds should be able to contribute to the growth of your frontier colonies without any micromanaging.
And some new strategic considerations to make as well. Do you store the food in case war messes up your production, or let it flow and get that growth bonus?
Old 04-03-2017, 03:20 PM

Youtubers got their ditty mitts on the update and Expansion Eary!

Going to check out Marzobazir and hopefully Quill, if he puts up anything tonight.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:54 AM

The new Mechanist perk - which lets you start with the ability to create robot pops, has me hunkering for a Quarian (from Mass Effect) playthrough! I'll see if I can make history repeat itself.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:43 AM

I'm intrigued by the new diplomacy options. You can actually set your race to be "fanatical purifiers" like how some npc races already are. It makes you unable to conduct (meaningful) diplomacy, but gives you a combat bonus. Might be handy if you were going to play a xenocidial race anyway. There's also an option to be a hive mind race, which should have some interesting options.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:05 PM

I am very excited for the expansion pack. I'm trying to clear up everything I need to do so I can play on Thursday (and maybe Friday).

The only thing I worry about is that Paradox DLC and patches tend to be buggy. They really need to get a tighter grip on their QA. But crossing my fingers that it will be rock solid right out of the gate.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 04-04-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

This should be a great update to the game. I've been holding off playing for a month or two, so I'm eager to get back into it again.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The only thing I worry about is that Paradox DLC and patches tend to be buggy. They really need to get a tighter grip on their QA. But crossing my fingers that it will be rock solid right out of the gate.
I usually wait until the first patch to play a "real" campaign. I just fiddle around with the new mechanics and tweak my mods until then.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:34 PM

I'm amused at how we'll be able to process xenos for food. Maybe my people don't recognize xenos as sentient. Maybe they do, but eat the meat of sentients as a status symbol. Some of the very wealthy eat only the meat of sentient xenos who were fed only other sentient xenos.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:56 PM

You can be a real son of a bitch in this game
Old 04-06-2017, 09:50 AM

It's OUT!!!

And I'm so damn busy. will be lucky to get a game started sooner than next week sometime :'(
Old 04-06-2017, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Yay!

They also released an expansion for EU4 today. But Stellaris has priority for me.

There's supposed to be a sale on Paradox titles this weekend. It won't cover the latest stuff, but the base games will definitely be cheaper.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:10 PM

I've played it for... oh, it's that late already, is it?

I haven't gotten to most of the new stuff yet. So far though, I absolutely love how pops will migrate from core worlds to frontiers. It gives it a real manifest destiny feel. I don't have to wait as long to upgrade government buildings. Not to mention I don't feel the need to shut down hydroponic farms on a planet once it fills up.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:13 AM

I'm playing it and really enjoying it. My Fanatic Spiritualist/Egalitarian squid-headed guys have just gotten the Transcendence Ascension Perk, but I haven't yet researched the Shroud. Next Perk after that, I'm going for Ringworlds.

So far it's been a mostly-lucky playthrough, except for a Xenophobe Fallen Empire spawning uncomfortably close to my empire. A fact that I found out when I built a Frontier Outpost and they declared war on me to force me to get rid of it without even letting me dismantle it first.

"Our flesh harvesters are coming for your larva!"
Old 04-07-2017, 06:35 AM

I finished up all my responsabilities for the week so I'm going to be playing it today. I can't wait!
Old 04-07-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I finished up all my responsibilities for the week so I'm going to be playing it today. I can't wait!
Me to, was up at midnight last night and early this morning working, just so I'd have a few hours tonight to play.

I can't WAIT!!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:55 PM

So good!!!

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.n...6ADFC3B2AC191/

I've also got the Mass Effect and Interstellar soundtrack mods turned on. Ready to sink in for the next 3 hours.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:11 PM

I had a very rough start. I began stuck between two advanced start AIs. The only other empire around got vassalized early by one of the AIs.

I eventually found a civilization weaker than me but messed up tactically and got myself into a drawn and brutal struggle. I won but it was stupidly expensive just to get a protectorate.

The game is getting to the point where the end game crisis will trigger and there's 4 powers stronger than me, not including Fallen Empires. I just took a chunk out of some weakling Trade Federation, "I give you plasma blasts you give me planets" but I'm really worried about an end game crisis. I have a little over 10K fleets. If I max out my naval capacity I can maybe get to about 15K. My empire is weak and could be easily destroyed.

Fortunately the two strongest powers (the ones that started next to me) don't hate me that much, and don't like each other.

Not sure how this one is going to finish out, but I predict a bad outcome.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:18 PM

Three hours? Pffft! Lightweight.

I'm really enjoying the changes to the game. Migration is a bit sloshy, but much better than before. If I colonize four new habs simultaneously, pops from my core worlds will flock to one of them and leave the other three nearly empty until the next wave of migrants. It's still a hell of a lot better than before, when the second pop on each frontier planet would nope out back to the core.

Habs are fun. Their buildings generally have one tier, so you can "fire and forget" their planning, assuming you've got the minerals.

I'm not sure if it's part of the Banks patch, but, with the right techs, war demands get a lot cheaper. I also like how you can now demand the dismantling of frontier outposts (and that you can often spare the warscore to do so).
Old 04-07-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's part of the Banks patch, but, with the right techs, war demands get a lot cheaper.
Yes, they added several technologies that let you reduce war demand cost. And you can reduce it even further if you have Utopia with the right Traditions.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:39 PM

I'm loving my little robot slaves. They tend to the mines and farms, and my bourgeois Quarians are free to pursue science and engineering.

I'm sure this setup will be just fine and dandy form here on out.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
I'm loving my little robot slaves. They tend to the mines and farms, and my bourgeois Quarians are free to pursue science and engineering.

I'm sure this setup will be just fine and dandy form here on out.
Yes, of course. Your robot slaves will never, ever rise up against you.

*beep* kill *beep*

Shush, not yet.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 04-08-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

It took me a while to update my mods. They changed how defines work. And broke defines mods completely. But the beta patch and some searching around let me fix things.

First game is going well. It looks like my immediate neighborhood is empty.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:10 PM

Any must have mods for Stellaris?

I went ahead and took a BIG plunge into Paradox games. I already have Europa Universalis but they had a package deal (in addiction to the already deep sale going on) for Stellaris, Crusader Kings and Hearts of Iron IV (it is nice that Steam now recognizes if you already have an item in a bundle and automatically drops it and lets you buy the rest). Between them I should be busy till next year playing all of that.

I figured I'd start with Stellaris since that is all new and fresh with the new DLC (I got the Utopia DLC).

My question is are there any must have mods I should get? I know many mods are personal taste but often there are a few that fix the UI or make important balance changes that are good for everyone. Since I have not played yet not sure what, if any, those might be.

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 04-08-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
(...in addiction...)
*in addition

Freudian slip?
Old 04-08-2017, 06:58 PM

With the new DLC just dropping I wouldn't trust anything that's not purely cosmetic, like new portraits and music mods, for at least a little bit.

My favorites are pretty much all the ones that add portraits to the game, including Alien Suns. Also the soundtrack mods, the mass effect and Interstellar ones are great, but you can always use your own music, and a lot of people do for these types of games, YMMV.

I also use some graphics mods like Epic Explosions and beautiful universe. The total conversion mods for Star Wars, and especially Star Trek are AMAZING. But give those a shot after playing the vanilla game.

I can't really think of anything I'd consider essential, except maybe for Extra Events. Great mod with a ton of extra events and anomalies to encounter.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:04 PM

Is there a tutorial for Stellaris?

I may have missed it and I can certainly figure it out without one but a tutorial would be nice to introduce me to the mechanics of the game.

I quit before I got started because I was not prepared (at this time) to jump into the deep end and sort it out.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:01 PM

I got kind of bored with my psionic ascension game, so I started a new one, as a hive mind.

I had been peaceful, but then some aliens to my galactic east attacked me. Luckily, I hadn't neglected my spaceports. I scrambled to build a fleet of corvettes. I met the enemy fleet in an uninhabited system in my territory. We were outmatched, but a second wave of corvettes was under construction. Somehow my main fleet became the rally point for the new ships; they were jumping in one at a time to join the battle. I lost, but just barely. The enemy strike force was left too weak to overcome my starbases. The war went into a lull for a few years as I upgraded my mines before rolling out a bigger fleet. This new fleet spearheaded an invasion of enemy territory. My would-be conquerors are officially dinner.

I barely had a chance to regroup and repair before an alliance of aliens to my north and west declared war on me. My focus on mine and fleet construction caught up with me: What initially seemed like a small energy deficit ate away all of my reserves. I scrambled to build and upgrade power plants. I thought I could pull myself out of an economic tailspin, but the completion of a new fleet kept me in the negatives. The first blackouts began just as we repelled an alien invasion force from my home system. To save energy, I razed the cities of my conquered eastern systems; I wasn't going to settle those miserable iceballs any time soon anyway. Besides, all those planets need is a few concentration camps/canneries.

I still needed a bit more energy, so I started deactivating my hydroponics farms. My core worlds can afford to put agriculture on hold for a few years. That's right: Eating our vanquished foes is the only thing saving the collective from economic ruin.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Is there a tutorial for Stellaris?

I may have missed it and I can certainly figure it out without one but a tutorial would be nice to introduce me to the mechanics of the game.

I quit before I got started because I was not prepared (at this time) to jump into the deep end and sort it out.
Yep. I think you may have to turn it on in the settings. A few of the empire options will turn it off however (like making a hive mind empire.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Somehow my main fleet became the rally point for the new ships; they were jumping in one at a time to join the battle.
You can set fleets as rally points; there's a little button at the top of the fleet screen for it. It's set to default "on" for your main fleet.