Old 10-02-2017, 06:46 AM

I finally got this game and played it all weekend. Really enjoying it -- I love the variety of findings and events when exploring the galaxy. So far interactions with other empires have been pretty mundane -- I actually found observing and eventually elevating the "less advanced" species I've found to be more fun. It's quite satisfying to elevate them from the dark ages, then make them a protectorate, and then fully integrate them as citizens into my empire.

I love that the galaxies are really big -- exploration has always been my favorite part of these kinds of games. Next game I may do a huge galaxy with only 1 or 2 other races!
Old 10-02-2017, 06:57 AM

One question -- what are "fallen empires"? Are those just other empires that are particularly powerful? I don't think I've come across one yet, at least not very clearly.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:23 AM

Basically they're civilizations that established themselves ages ago. They're technologically superior and possess massively powerful fleets at the start of the game - 40k or so. The will kick your ships out of their region, close borders and basically tell you get off the lawn. It is possible that they'll wake up and reassert themselves in the galaxy or even go to war with another fallen empire (think Vorlonsvs. Shadows from B5).

Last edited by Grey; 10-02-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
One question -- what are "fallen empires"? Are those just other empires that are particularly powerful? I don't think I've come across one yet, at least not very clearly.
There are four kinds iirc. Look at their description. If they are xenophobes and isolationist they will not allow you to colonize around them. Never colonize a planet that had a name...Pristine Jewel for example because they will attack you. Even if you give it back they will execute your leader to shame you. Another FE is much friendlier. They might ask for a pop but they will occasionally offer gifts of their own.

The Stellaris reddit is very helpful as the game is very deep. Make sure you have the correct fleet composition before you take one on.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Basically they're civilizations that established themselves ages ago. They're technologically superior and possess massively powerful fleets at the start of the game - 40k or so. The will kick your ships out of their region, close borders and basically tell you get off the lawn. It is possible that they'll wake up and reassert themselves in the galaxy or even go to war with another fallen empire (think Vorlonsvs. Shadows from B5).
Thanks! Do they control large areas, or just a single system?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:27 AM

They tend to not be too large 4-5 systems maybe but I'm sure it depends. I'd say a mid game empires will cover more space.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Even if you give it back they will execute your leader to shame you.
Which, at least in the last version that I played, was actually very helpful as a democratic society, because you get a new leader and new set of objectives, so you could get more bonus influence.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:06 PM

iiandyiii...if you like discovery use your initial 3 corvettes to explore your immediate area; especially looking for habitable planets.

Or, click the ~ and type observe to see the planets and empires in your galaxy.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
iiandyiii...if you like discovery use your initial 3 corvettes to explore your immediate area; especially looking for habitable planets.

Or, click the ~ and type observe to see the planets and empires in your galaxy.
I'll try that next time. Though I think the ~ cheating would take the fun out of the exploration.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I'll try that next time. Though I think the ~ cheating would take the fun out of the exploration.
It does. But playing close to a fanatical purifier empire (slavers and genocides) really isn't fun, for me at least. Take them out as soon as possible.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:46 PM

The Stellaris Wiki is a useful resource.

Quote:
There are four kinds iirc.
Five, if you have Synthetic Dawn. The Ancient Caretakers, a somewhat malfunctioning Machine Empire. Unpredictable and opaque.

There's also:

The Keepers of Knowledge (Materialists).

Holy Guardians (Spiritualists); who don't like Machine Empires and really hate anyone who picks the Synthetic Ascension path.

Militant Isolationists (Xenophobes): Hate everybody. Don't build anything near them.

Enigmatic Observers: Generally friendly, don't like purging. The most likely to get friendly enough to give you resources or ships.

Last edited by Der Trihs; 10-02-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Big changes are on the way (eventually, there's no ETA on the next update). I have to say I'm very excited.

They're changing how FTL works. It's going to be hyperlanes only, with a few wormhole shortcuts. Black holes and other things will have different effects. Galactic terrain will be a thing.

They're changing how system control works. No more zones of control emanating from colonies and outposts. Each star will have a single point of control, that gives control of the whole system, but no control outside the system.

They're changing how starports and defense stations work. It'll be system-based, integrated into the system control.

They're changing how war works. They're removing the old Paradox war-score paradigm. It's now based on claims and war exhaustion. Limited wars will be much easier to execute without completely destroy your opponent. Full-scale wars with large annexations will be possible, even against large empires, if you can completely destroy them.

I'm not doing the changes justice, read the latest two dev updates.
Stellaris Dev Diary #92: FTL Rework and Galactic Terrain
Stellaris Dev Diary #93: War, Peace and Claims
Old 11-10-2017, 06:58 PM

I'm psyched about the changes! War really needed some love.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Heads up: the new patch and expansion will come out next week. (Per usual, wait until the first hotfix to actually play it.)

They're revving to version 2.0. There's huge changes. Patch notes are posted on their forum, https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...notes.1069794/. Their summary is
Quote:
Stellaris has changed quite dramatically for 2.0, and in our experience, for the better. Overall you can expect the game-play to have been slowed down a little, and you now need to make active decisions on which star systems you want to expand into and control.

You will need to build starbases to control systems and defend your borders. You will need to outfit your starbases with shipyards to build military ships, or turn them into powerful fortresses to defend vital choke points and strategically important locations.

How you use your fleets will be different as well, as you now have a limit on how many ships you can have in one fleet. It will also be important to make sure that your fleets are positioned correctly so that they can respond to any threat to your borders -- whether be it from pirates or hostile space empires.

The war system has changed as well, and you now need to make claims on an enemy's territory before declaring war on them. This means that it is now possible to declare war for a single system without having to wage a long, drawn-out war for it.

Larger wars have changed as well, with the arrival of the Colossus in the Apocalypse expansion. The Colossus is a powerful super-weapon that can be equipped with various armaments, one of which is capable of blowing up a planet.
All of those quoted changes come with the free patch (if you don't want them, you can always tell Steam to switch to an earlier version). Read more under the "Free Feature" header of the full patch notes.

I'm really looking forward to these changes. It's going to be a whole new game!
Old 02-16-2018, 10:39 AM

I am very excited for these changes as well. As said, it will be like a whole new game. I'm not too happy about it being hyperspace only as this is my least favorite style of 4X; however, I recognize that for the good of the game it was the right choice. Ultimately, I think the game will be more balanced and more fun for the changes and so I can get behind it.

The story trailer is fraking amazing. It makes me want to re-join the army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW3YB2ptGws
Old 02-16-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
All of those quoted changes come with the free patch (if you don't want them, you can always tell Steam to switch to an earlier version). Read more under the "Free Feature" header of the full patch notes.
Wait, that's possible? I'm excited for the Cherryh update, but I refuse to move on until I win a damn game.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

If you go to the "Betas" option tab of Stellaris in the Steam browser, you'll see a list several previous versions. These are good working versions with no crippling bugs, usually just before a major version change. Choose one and Steam will "update" the game to that version. This will probably break any mods you have.

But what's this "winning" you speak of?
Old 02-22-2018, 08:23 AM

Just downloaded the big update and the new DLC (Apocalypse) and will be playing it later.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:31 AM

I just bought the DLC and firing it up in 43 seconds.

and so on.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:19 PM

Well, I just got utterly owned by the AI. Wow. The AI is much more efficient in the early game now. Time for attempt #2.

My only real complaint. The game crashes for me quite a bit. Three crashes in the past couple of hours.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 02-22-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:48 PM

Any thoughts about the new border system? I'm hoping I'll like it better than the previous one where you could own space you had never touched.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Any thoughts about the new border system? I'm hoping I'll like it better than the previous one where you could own space you had never touched.
I really don't like hyperspace style 4X games but there's no question, the new system simply works better than the old system. Do I wish they could have found some way to make it all work with warp drive and wormholes? Sure, but this was the right call for Paradox to make. It plays better because it is all directed, making everything under you choice and makes it so that you know what will happen when you make a choice.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:51 PM

The other thing it does is it slows down the early rush. Which is probably why the AI does better. This may ve something that annoys some players but I like the slower more deliberate play.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2018, 11:04 AM

If you get the DLC, when you start a new game turn off the marauders. There is a bug right now with them that can prevent you from paying them off. So they are pretty game breaking both for the player and the AI. They simply rampage and rampage and rampage.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 02-23-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

The new war paradigm plays very differently. Pro-tip: make your claims carefully and don't bite off more than you can chew. The side "winning" a war cannot prolong it indefinitely. The war exhaustion mechanic will end it even while both sides have some capability to fight. Much better than "must utterly defeat other side to every win war".

I really like the new star control paradigm. It makes it very simple to know what you have.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
The new war paradigm plays very differently. Pro-tip: make your claims carefully and don't bite off more than you can chew. The side "winning" a war cannot prolong it indefinitely. The war exhaustion mechanic will end it even while both sides have some capability to fight. Much better than "must utterly defeat other side to every win war".

I really like the new star control paradigm. It makes it very simple to know what you have.
Yeah, I find the new war mechanic better. I think war exhaustion might grow a little bit too quickly, but overall it works well. Most wars tends to be "relatively" small affairs, although the option is still there for massive campaigns if you greatly outclass the enemy.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:08 AM

I'm having fun in a game with the lowest possible hyperlane density. Bottlenecks abound. A fallen empire blocks my access to most of the galaxy. I spent most of the game contained in my corner of the galaxy; all I had for company were one other civ (and they're fanatic pacifists) and the Dimensional Horror. I massed my navy and hurled it all against the DH. Several times. After I finally killed it, I got access to jump drives. I also found a wormhole that allowed me to explore and claim a different corner of the galaxy.

It seems like fallen empires are a lot stronger now. My neighbour's fleet is at least 140k, with each starbase sitting around 40k. It'll be a long time before I can challenge them; I suspect that they have more repeatable techs than in previous versions.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Immortal View Post
I'm having fun in a game with the lowest possible hyperlane density. Bottlenecks abound. A fallen empire blocks my access to most of the galaxy. I spent most of the game contained in my corner of the galaxy; all I had for company were one other civ (and they're fanatic pacifists) and the Dimensional Horror. I massed my navy and hurled it all against the DH. Several times. After I finally killed it, I got access to jump drives. I also found a wormhole that allowed me to explore and claim a different corner of the galaxy.

It seems like fallen empires are a lot stronger now. My neighbour's fleet is at least 140k, with each starbase sitting around 40k. It'll be a long time before I can challenge them; I suspect that they have more repeatable techs than in previous versions.
I couldn't play with a lowest possible hyperlane density. It would drive me crazy, but I think its great that you're enjoying it. Also, I like that they have all those sliders for exactly that reason, so that different players can enjoy the game their way.

I'm really digging the new war system. I know there's a subset of people who are being vocal on the forums about not liking it, but I don't think it is going to change much anytime soon. Anyway, I really enjoy it. I had several wars against a fanatical purifier. Two of the wars ended with me claiming some territory, and him claiming some territory. One ended in a total stalemate. The other two were victories for me after joining a federation. I'm not sure the stalemate would have ever ended if not for the federation and that's awesome.

What I find tends to happen is that unless you have an immediate and decisive advantage over the enemy then as you wear down their military to the point where you might have an advantage, the war is over due to exhaustion. And that's very cool, to me anyway. But for some people, they clearly do not like this at all.

I'm just about to hit 2400, so end game crisis time. It should be an interesting finish. The federation to which I belong is the strongest force in the galaxy but can we stop an end game crisis? I'm not sure. I just got the titan technology so that might help.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 02-26-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

The only bugs that are annoying me are the time limits on some missions are way too short given current flight times, and the over-powered marauders. I'm sure those will be quickly retuned in a patch.

I like that the game actively punishes doom-stack fleets in large empires. Flight times mean your doom stack will never reach anywhere in a timely manner. A tip I read on the forums: have a fleet with only corvettes that have maxed out thrusters. They can quickly get to any small problem.

Another useful tip: build anchorages in your star bases to increase your fleet cap. Besides the obvious benefit, the bigger your fleet cap is, the less war exhaustion you take.

I tried playing with x0.75 hyperlanes, but it was too sparse for me. I think the default level is best for me. This is for four-arm spiral galaxies, which is all I ever play anymore. I like how you can see other empires in adjacent arms, but can't really interact with them.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:45 PM

Add my support for the new war system. It's nice that you don't have to take every single planet and such in order to win, AND there's no long rebuilding process afterwards. I'd be happy with war exhaustion tweaking, but I like it so far.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:04 AM

I just noticed that around the 8 o'clock radius of my galaxy, there are no hyperlane connections at all. Neat.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:26 AM

So it turns out that you can
SPOILER:
build your own gates!

Yay!
Old 02-27-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Add my support for the new war system. It's nice that you don't have to take every single planet and such in order to win, AND there's no long rebuilding process afterwards. I'd be happy with war exhaustion tweaking, but I like it so far.
Wow, maybe I should dust off my copy. I think it's been a year since I lost interest due to the frustrating war mechanics.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

First hot fix for 2.0 is out now, with promises for more coming down the pike.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:25 AM

Would Stellaris support a legacy game, where Dopers pass the save file from player to player at predetermined intervals? I remember doing that with CK2 and having fun.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Would Stellaris support a legacy game, where Dopers pass the save file from player to player at predetermined intervals? I remember doing that with CK2 and having fun.
Sure would. The tricky part is a single leader can last for a long time, so we'd either have to agree a fixed time limit, or have a government type that elects a new leader regularly.

It'd also be better to wait until the 2.0 is stabilized.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I like it; I found it very frustrating when some AI empire would grab huge chunks of space on my borders with a Frontier Station.

Quote:
I like that the game actively punishes doom-stack fleets in large empires. Flight times mean your doom stack will never reach anywhere in a timely manner. A tip I read on the forums: have a fleet with only corvettes that have maxed out thrusters. They can quickly get to any small problem.
A related suggestion I ran across; have an all-corvette fleet and a battleship-heavy fleet work together. The corvettes can catch up to and engage a fast enemy, and the battleships can then catch up to them and destroy them. And corvettes are cheaper to replace.

Last edited by Der Trihs; 02-27-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:07 PM

I just had a super-fast war with the fallen empire hemming me in in the south edge of the galaxy. It was a stack of doom situation. I hurled my fleet at them, occupying one planet and one other system. I had four fleets around 50-60k, they had a 90k and a 130k. I took out their 90k fleet during the blitzkrieg, then their other fleet defeated what was left of my navy. I managed to get a status quo peace. I'm still hemmed in, but I hope to be able to break out when the truce is over. Hopefully I'll get some good tech upgrades from the debris.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:34 PM

I'm looking to start a war with a FE on the other side of the galaxy. I've noticed in this patch that it's possible and viable to have a segmented empire - my main bloc is in the north, with another grouping in the southeast. The southern group borders some Ancient Caretakers, and those ringworlds are looking mighty appealing. Going by sheer combat power, it's a cakewalk - 3 120k+ fleets against a 130k and a 50k. No one has awakened yet, and the other FE likes me just slightly more than the other bordering empires. If the first war goes well, I'll still have the numbers to fight them off rather easily. If not, I have the minerals and income to replenish my fleets, then fight them off. I'm at the point where only a couple solo empires and maybe a federation threaten me, so unless I get very unlucky with a crisis, I like how everything will play out.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:21 PM

Well, that was rather anticlimactic - declared, dropped in, wiped everything out. Total losses - six battleships. Total gain - 3 ringworlds, one of which is already fully completed. Annihilation Fleet Four is currently under construction, at which point there's nothing really to stop me other than the influence gain to make claims.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:11 AM

My game ended with a bang.

The War in Heaven started up. One of the now Awakened Empires was next to me, and as I looked at it, I said "If I attack RIGHT NOW, I can take him before he has a chance to gear up." So I declare war, and in we go. It is a brutal fight. Both of us take massive damage to our fleets but I limp through to his homeworld and capture it. The war ends due to war exhaustion.

He's still pretty powerful with his remaining systems and the WiH event triggers and several nearby empires join his cause. I join the League of Unaffiliated World. The galaxy is going to have a three way. Oh my! All three sides start building fleets.

Twelve years later, the AE declares war on me. I look at his combined fleets and realize, I cannot stop him. There's simply no way. So I retreat back to my own space and he starts taking over everything I fought so hard for. Just as he prepares to come into my space, my long time close allies arrive with their fleets. Now, we have the advantage.

So we push into his space again, and start re-taking everything. We re-capture his homeworld when suddenly.... my allies are hit with an AI revolt. Half his empire is simply gone. His fleets turn around and go home. I try to sue for peace with the AE but they won't have anything to do with it. They're still pretty strong fleetwise.

I take some time to rebuild my fleets and push on alone vs the AE. In one final battle, I lose two of my titans and about 40% of my fleet but the enemy has nothing left. We capture the last two AE planets and they're forced into peace. The remainder of his side join the League as my vassals.

I take a look at the victory indicator. We're one planet short of total victory. Stupid AI revolt. *beep* Hey *beep*. Sorry not you guys, I love my AIs. *beep* That's better *beep*

I turn my fleets to my beleaguered ally. Together we crush the AI revolt's fleets and recapture one of his worlds.

Victory at last.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Awesome story, BeepKillBeep!

Is anyone using the Fleet Manager? I'm still trying to figure out exactly how it works.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:31 PM

Got the game ages ago, basically gave up on it in short order because it ran horribly slow, but I'm having fun with 2.0 even though my old PC struggles with anything more than a Small map.

One question - how do you build Robot pops? I've got the tech for Droids, and I've got a bunch of low-habitable worlds I want to settle with them, but I can't find any way of actually producing them.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick View Post
Got the game ages ago, basically gave up on it in short order because it ran horribly slow, but I'm having fun with 2.0 even though my old PC struggles with anything more than a Small map.

One question - how do you build Robot pops? I've got the tech for Droids, and I've got a bunch of low-habitable worlds I want to settle with them, but I can't find any way of actually producing them.
When you click on an empty tile (one that has no pop, it can have a building). On the right side where the pop normally appears there should be a button that says "Build Pop".
Old 02-28-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Awesome story, BeepKillBeep!

Is anyone using the Fleet Manager? I'm still trying to figure out exactly how it works.
The fleet manager allows you to pretty much design your fleets like you can design ships. With a new fleet, just click the button at the bottom to add a new ship design to the fleet. From there, you can add other ships and change the quantities. The fleet will update automatically to let you know how close you are to the fleet max, as well as a basic combat power indicator (though that has been trended low for me so far). Once your fleet is designed to your liking, click the "reinforce" at the top. It will show how many minerals are needed, and all of your shipyards will start busting out ships with rally orders to a specific fleet.

After battles/wars, you can use the reinforce button again to rebuild all the ships that were lost, or use the same button on an individual fleet to resupply just that one. You can also set home stations for fleets that they'll return to when sent home. All told, it cuts down on resupply time and clicks.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Chisquirrel.

There is now a beta for 2.0.2. You have to opt into through the Steam menus.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:39 PM

New beta patch for Stellaris released today. It is a HUGE patch that seems to be heavily focused on trying to balance out the war exhaustion mechanic. I downloaded it but I've not started a new game with it yet (too many TV shows to watch tonight) but I'll fire it up tomorrow. It looks really good, although the 1 energy maintenance for outposts is ... ouch ... for the early game.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...eased.1074239/
Old 03-01-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
New beta patch for Stellaris released today. It is a HUGE patch that seems to be heavily focused on trying to balance out the war exhaustion mechanic. I downloaded it but I've not started a new game with it yet (too many TV shows to watch tonight) but I'll fire it up tomorrow. It looks really good, although the 1 energy maintenance for outposts is ... ouch ... for the early game.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...eased.1074239/
Edit: I see that it was already posted. I'm not sure how I did see the earlier post. So sorry about that.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

It’s going to be “rolling” patch where they check in changes as they’re made. They’re looking at quick feedback for balancing. If you have specific feedback, post it their forum, they’ll read it.

My guess is it’ll be released live in about two weeks.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
It’s going to be “rolling” patch where they check in changes as they’re made. They’re looking at quick feedback for balancing. If you have specific feedback, post it their forum, they’ll read it.

My guess is it’ll be released live in about two weeks.
Yeah I post there from time to time usually with feedback on changes.