Old 10-24-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post

in Asia traditional consoles are basically dead
Not really. The PS4 has sold 3 million units in Japan out of 40 million global, and I can tell you from my travels that PS4 and Nintendo Wii U consoles are on sale everywhere with big displays in consumer electronic shops, then there's the rest of Asia. Console gaming is a niche in Asia but it's a niche that shows no sign of disappearing and because of the sizes of the populations even a niche is a big market.

Also Nintendo has said that the tablet is the processing power and that there isn't any in the dock, however they could well be switching cores off and running the GPU at lower speed when in portable mode and rev everything up to full power when docked.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:13 AM

Full reveal will be on Jan. 12.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/...55799302246400
Old 10-27-2016, 09:38 AM

I figured they'd likely wait until after the holidays to fill more in. They likely didn't want to completely cannibalize sales of WiiU or 3DS games this year.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:04 PM

The screen is 6.2 inches, 720p, multitouch.

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/791669143519068160
Old 11-23-2016, 06:43 PM

The controll looks like the head of a dog (? haha
Old 01-11-2017, 09:13 PM

Nintendo Switch Presentation tomorrow

8 p.m PT/11 p.m. ET.

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/
Old 01-13-2017, 06:44 AM

Well it's official now.

That launch lineup looks extremely anemic, they announced subscriptions are coming for online gameplay (ha!) and the Skyrim port for it appears to be the 360 version.

Die hard Nintendo fans will love it I'm sure, but I'm getting WiiU vibes from this.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 AM

Some Details:

MSRP $300
Online is free until this fall when you'll have to subscribe (no price announced yet).
6.2-inch 1280x720 resolution
32GB of internal storage
t 802.11ac Wi-Fi

Lineup -

March 2017
Zelda: BotW (+Special/Master editions) $59.99/$99.99/$129.99
1, 2, Switch $49.99
I Am Setsuna
Has Been Heroes
Just Dance 2017
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together! $19.99
Super Bomberman R

April 28, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe $59.99

Spring 2017
Arms $59.99
Lego City Undercover
Sonic Mania

Summer 2017
Splatoon 2

Fall 2017
Skyrim
NBA 2k18 (September)

Holiday 2017
Super Mario Odyssey
Old 01-13-2017, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

That was about the worst that presentation could have gone, and... I still kind of want one? I skipped the Wii U, so stuff like the MK8 Deluxe and any other 'upgrades' that come along do have some value to me. $70 for a pro controller (and $80 for a second J-C pair!) is pretty hilarious.

Last edited by Kiros; 01-13-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:57 AM

I'll be getting Breath of the Wild in March and taking a wait-and-see approach to the Switch itself. Though it does look fairly impressive. I could easily see myself going for the Mario, Skyrim and SMT games.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:02 AM

Like most Nintendo consoles, I'll wait until Mario comes out and the price drops.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiros View Post
That was about the worst that presentation could have gone, and... I still kind of want one?
Yeah, that was an awkward presentation, but the console looks really cool and some of those games look fantastic! So... I guess the presentation did what it was supposed to?
Old 01-13-2017, 01:55 PM

I think they may have un-sold me on it, which I wouldn't have thought was possible. Lots of interesting things, but I'm finding it hard to justify - everything seems to have little issues, especially since we have a Wii U.

- Zelda looks amazing, but I could just pick up the U version.
- Mario Kart sounds like basically a perfected version, but we have the U version, and would have to buy extra controllers.
- Splatoon is not named Spla2n for some reason.
- Arms might be fun, but it seems two-player focused, so we'd have to buy an extra set of joy-cons.
- 1 2 Switch might be great in a Warioware way, but I'm kind of amazed it's not a pack-in.
- The online stuff sounds ... iffy
- An extra dock is $90? A dock and 2 joy-cons would run you $170, and here I was hoping that the whole system would only be $250

These presentations always have parts that seem inexplicable. Why not take 15 seconds to mention Kart explicitly? Bomberman too.

Anyway, I have other stuff to play, so probably the prudent thing is to just buy nothing and then at Christmas either get a Switch with Zelda and Mario or just pick up Zelda for Wii U. Having said that, I did put in a Switch preorder this morning
Old 01-13-2017, 01:58 PM

I have no particular intention of buying the Switch but that Zelda trailer was stunning. I am a big fan of Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke and this is probably the closest any game has come to matching the look and mood of that film. I hope it comes eventually to some platform I own which I suppose is more likely if the Switch fails.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschevsky View Post
- Zelda looks amazing, but I could just pick up the U version.
True, but not likely to look as good on the WiiU. Whether that matters to you is another question .

Quote:
- An extra dock is $90? A dock and 2 joy-cons would run you $170, and here I was hoping that the whole system would only be $250
Is there a reason you want an additional dock?
Old 01-13-2017, 02:39 PM

Just to hook up to our other TV. It would be nice to be able to drop the Switch into whatever room we wanted. My understanding is that the dock is just power & HDMI passthrough, plus a fan for cooling. I expected it to cost, well, not $90.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

To try to make the online subscription more palatable, they were going to include games with it monthly like Xbox/PS have been doing for a while. But they blundered that - it's only available during the one month it's the special game, not as long as you subscribe. And these are 25 year old games, not AAA titles from a few years back. Pretty weak.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 01-13-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I think they may have un-sold me on it, which I wouldn't have thought was possible. Lots of interesting things, but I'm finding it hard to justify - everything seems to have little issues, especially since we have a Wii U.
I read up the condensed reporting, not being interested in a public song and dance, but... same here. I don't have a Nintendo console, yet love the idea and concept in the hardware, portability, and all. Don't think there's any way I'd buy this until I see how it develops.

The games list through 2017 is anemic at best. The online functionality could make up for that but it sounds like a terrible, expensive implementation with no upside for the user. (Seriously? Need to pay just to have a friends list, Nintendo?) And Nintendo doesn't really roll out online stuff very quickly, and their prices for 20-year old games sounds like it will be really high.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:06 PM

Yeah, I'm going to have to see the full details about this smart phone app thing, because it sounds literally crazy to me. It would make sense to have a companion app - actually that's a great idea. A friend invites me to a Mario Kart race, and I get notified on my phone? Great! But for all that stuff to only be in the app, and it's only available as part of their subscription?
Old 01-13-2017, 06:50 PM

They show Breath of the Wild as a launch title for the Switch but does the WiiU version have the same release date?
Old 01-13-2017, 07:00 PM

Yes, March 3 for both versions.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:21 PM

Personally, I love it. I'm getting a Nintendo Switch. Sometimes my roommates get on my nerves, and I'd love to be able to take the Switch out of the house and play for a few hours alone. I can take it to work and play on my lunch break.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, March 3 for both versions.
Definately a plus for myself and other WiiU owners but I think a missed opportunity for Nintendo. If they released BOTW with the launch as a Switch exclusive and delayed the WiiU version till fall I think a lot of Zelda die-hards like myself would have been convinced to buy a Switch upon release. With a March3 WiiU release I really have no reason to get a Switch.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:35 AM

Yep Nintendo botches another launch . Two games at launch ? Wtf. And yeah they've made their controllers more expensive with the fancy HD rumble and camera sensing hand movements, a gimmick that will get used in a handful of first party games and that everyone will get sick of after two months.

Good concept, but weak launch. My prediction it will end up another wii U with a poor library.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

I want Breath of the Wild so much now...I never did buy a WiiU. Can't say I'm really blown away by any of the other titles, though a few of the RPGs sound interesting. I've also heard that Stardew Valley will be ported to the Switch.

I'm sort of "meh" about the online services right now. I'm also not clear about what's being done for Virtual Console games. Will they continue to be part of the eShop -- which, according to Nintendo's website, will still be available even if you don't have an online services subscription -- or will these games be part of the exclusive online services?
Old 01-14-2017, 03:31 PM

The thing is, Nintendo has a nice catalog of first party games that people want to play, Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, and now Splatoon. But they insist on tying it to shit hardware thats 3-5 years behind the times.

Imagine if Nintendo did a deal with Sony, to be exclusive on Sony hardware platforms for five years, and they can also sell whatever custom controllers they want for their own first party games if they want more than the standard PS4 controller. Considering that the PS4 is already winning this round of the console wars, that would pretty much be a game changer. The Xbox one would be trashed and Sony / Nintendo would crush them.

But instead Nintendo wants to keep trying to recreate the fluke success of the Wii, yeah the novelty of motion controls sold a shit load of Wii units. No it won't happen again, get over it.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coremelt View Post
The thing is, Nintendo has a nice catalog of first party games that people want to play, Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, and now Splatoon. But they insist on tying it to shit hardware thats 3-5 years behind the times.

Imagine if Nintendo did a deal with Sony, to be exclusive on Sony hardware platforms for five years, and they can also sell whatever custom controllers they want for their own first party games if they want more than the standard PS4 controller. Considering that the PS4 is already winning this round of the console wars, that would pretty much be a game changer. The Xbox one would be trashed and Sony / Nintendo would crush them.

But instead Nintendo wants to keep trying to recreate the fluke success of the Wii, yeah the novelty of motion controls sold a shit load of Wii units. No it won't happen again, get over it.
Fuck that, come to PC and rake it in.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:46 PM

Wow. I'm both impressed and sadly disappointed.

There's a lot to like, but there are NO games for this thing.

I'm impressed with "HD Rumble". Imagine how dope it would be playing a Zelda fishing game using that, (assuming it works the way I'd like it to)? I don't mind motion controls and don't think Wii was "a fluke". I do however worry about ports of 3rd party games I'd like to play, but anyone with a PS4 or XB1 would get the slickest version, so they won't be successful on the Switch.

I agree that hardware matters. It matters so much that I'm thinking about waiting on Zelda altogether, until I see if the Switch has legs, because I don't want to play the "shitty" Wii U version.

I could see it having a rocky start, but growing in popularity, if deals with 3rd parties are made to have exclusive content.

Glad to see FIFA will be on the system. If I get it, I'll definitely pick that up.

Anyway... There's no reason to rush out and get one besides Zelda, imho... so, I won't be preordering.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
I agree that hardware matters. It matters so much that I'm thinking about waiting on Zelda altogether, until I see if the Switch has legs, because I don't want to play the "shitty" Wii U version.
The Wii U version could be the definitive one. Nintendo has a lot of experience with the PowerPC chipset. Not so much with the Tegra. BOTW was originally just for the Wii U. Who knows what what kind of issues they've had porting it to the Switch. I've heard rumours of a inconsistent 30 fps.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uosdwis R. Dewoh View Post
The Wii U version could be the definitive one. Nintendo has a lot of experience with the PowerPC chipset. Not so much with the Tegra. BOTW was originally just for the Wii U. Who knows what what kind of issues they've had porting it to the Switch. I've heard rumours of a inconsistent 30 fps.
Everytime I see BOTW i get confused 'cause it's Zelda: Call of the wild in my head.

And yes, numerous outlets are calling out poor performance on the new Zelda, but they've still got a month for that day one performance patch.

My only hope here is that since the WiiU emulator is progressing along nicely, my investment in playing the new Zelda may just be $60 and not $460 (or more realistically, waiting until it's something less than that).

Last edited by Kinthalis; 01-15-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
My only hope here is that since the WiiU emulator is progressing along nicely, my investment in playing the new Zelda may just be $60 and not $460 (or more realistically, waiting until it's something less than that).
I haven't heard of this. How good is the emulator now? Is it a fork of Dolphin? How is the twin screen issue solved?
Old 01-15-2017, 08:33 AM

It's called CEMU I believe. The list of games working well is pretty small right now. So there's still a ways to go, but it doesn't seem too far away. I'm sure the community will be working on getting Zelda working on it asap.

Here's Super Smash Bros 4 running on it at 4K resolution and staying at 60 FPs most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OclM...hdpmn2ngrxa504

Here's Splatoon at 4K: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBU_...ature=youtu.be

Also check out these screens of other games - it just goes to show how much of the detail and splendor of these nintendo worlds we are missing out because the games are sequestered to low powered hardware.

http://i.imgur.com/VR6IfhH.jpg

Mario Kart:
720p http://imgur.com/sRLri50
4K http://cemu.info/screenshots/cemu170/MK8_4K.png

http://orig02.deviantart.net/77cb/f/...ie-dauyw1w.png

http://orig00.deviantart.net/4444/f/...ie-dauyti4.png

Xeno Blade: https://abload.de/img/xeno1kuqt9.png
Old 02-04-2017, 01:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWd8fUC71g

Nintendo Switch Super Bowl LI Commercial - Extended Cut

The one thing lacking in the advertising for showcasing the Nintendo Switch, is it's "HD Rumble" feature, (for obvious reasons - namely, you can't 'show people' how cool it 'feels'.)
I was hooked on "Rumble" since 'Star Fox 64'. I wondered why Nintendo never had "dual shock" in their controllers, (and in Wii's Nunchuck).
I'm still not getting the system at launch, and will buy it when I see the best opportunity to do so. "HD Rumble", (Though I hate that name,) seems like a great feature! I know not to expect TOO much from it... (NO I've never experienced it myself.) I'm just glad we're moving forward with force feedback.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:28 PM

It's a nice montage, however their game release schedule is still looking pretty sparse and charging $49 for that 1-2 Switch party game that people will get sick of after a few days is criminal.

Seemingly they can't even get many indie developers on board, according to the updated release schedule they'll have a grand total of 15 games for it by 'summer':
http://www.nintendo.com/games/coming...intendo-switch
Old 02-05-2017, 01:17 AM

The lack of third party support still seems weird to me. Sure, the WiiU wasn't great. But this is Nintendo's next portable console, as well. And the 3DS is so good that it has pretty much destroyed any competition in that space. You'd think the handheld developers would be jumping on board.

I can only think that not iterating on the the previous handheld hardware is killing them. If they did that, then backwards compatibility is easy, meaning people are more likely to buy with fewer launch titles. More units sold means a better launch.

It also doesn't help my sense of foreboding that Nintendo is doing Super Mario Odyssey, which has at least one level that looks like the Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:20 AM

Well that's the problem, Nintendo is not saying this is the replacement for the 3Ds and they plan to keep selling those.
http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/10/2...switch-release

So if you're a 3ds developer do you make games for the existing huge market of the 3ds or the totally unproven switch ? IMO this is a huge mistake that Nintendo is making. They should be stating clearly that the switch is the 3ds replacement and is primarily a mobile device rather than trying to sell it as an underpowered hybrid.

And they should offer a sku without the dock to emphasise that as well...
Old 02-05-2017, 03:40 AM

No, the hybrid idea is a good one. If they don't, then they just leave console users behind. That's not a way to merge the markets and focus on what they are good at.

But that only works if they do actually merge them. You can't if the 3DS doesn't at least have a planned obsolescence. You just wind up having a console with a portable gimmick, rather than an actually merging of console and handheld.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:33 AM

I would imagine that the Switch will have 3DS-type of success once the games start rolling out.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
I would imagine that the Switch will have 3DS-type of success once the games start rolling out.
Maybe, but first, that's going to take a while based on the release schedule for the next two years or so, and second, a large chunk of the lineup consists of older games and some stuff that isn't exactly burning up the charts now. Also, we can hope there's stuff not on the list, but unless some publishers are seriously clamping down on any news, Nintendo has major publishers - including some very important to the 3DS - not planning any releases for the Switch.

It sounds like it's highly questionable whether you will ever be able to play Wii or 3ds games on the Switch at all. Unless Nintendo or the developer goes to the trouble of making them compatible, it just won't happen. And Nintendo is really, *really* bad about that, having failed to do much with their huge lineup of classic games so far.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit View Post
Maybe, but first, that's going to take a while based on the release schedule for the next two years or so, and second, a large chunk of the lineup consists of older games and some stuff that isn't exactly burning up the charts now. Also, we can hope there's stuff not on the list, but unless some publishers are seriously clamping down on any news, Nintendo has major publishers - including some very important to the 3DS - not planning any releases for the Switch.

It sounds like it's highly questionable whether you will ever be able to play Wii or 3ds games on the Switch at all. Unless Nintendo or the developer goes to the trouble of making them compatible, it just won't happen. And Nintendo is really, *really* bad about that, having failed to do much with their huge lineup of classic games so far.
I believe we will be seeing some great things at E3. It seems to me like Nintendo's holding back, though I could be wrong. But think of all the 1st & 2nd party game developers who've been quiet for years. They possibly rely on the hype of it's launch + Zelda and then Splatoon until then. As for backwards capabilities... I already own the original systems... so. to me, and others like me, that's not MUCH of an issue.

I still think there's a chance this will be a success. I still think there's a chance be a disappointment.

...So, that's why I'm waiting. I'll play Zelda on Wii U.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:27 PM

The more I think about it, the more I want the Switch.

Mainly for Zelda and, soon, Mario.

I know I said I would play Zelda on the Wii U... But I know I'm going to get the Switch eventually, and it, not only looks and runs better on the Switch, but those load times are much faster on the new console. I saw a comparison of how fast the load times are in comparison to the Wii U, and with a game as big and as time consuming as Zelda, I think I'd much prefer the Switch's experience.

That and I see a LOT of hype building towards the Switch. Which means, (I think), it has a real chance at being a success in time.

I'll still wait to get one... (not like I have a choice at this point), but if I ever saw one out in the wild, I would probably snag it. I wonder just how long that will be. I know 3 people who've pre ordered one already. :/

Anyone have any thoughts? For those who plan to play Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which system do you plan to play it on and when?

Last edited by MyFootsZZZ; 02-20-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

I think I'll still plan on getting a Switch at some point...a recent laptop failure, along with an impending mobile phone failure, means that purchase won't be happening anytime soon. I'm still really excited about BotW though.

And I want to see Earthbound on Virtual Console for the Switch. (Yeah, I could upgrade my 3DS, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it at the moment...)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:14 PM

My son and I were in a Best Buy today and a Nintendo rep was setting up the display. He didn't have anything up and running yet but he did let us handle the hardware. Very nice feeling and well engineered. The little controllers slide smoothly and solidly off and on the screen and the base controller. It has a nice little case for it also.
I'll be playing BOTW on the WiiU on release day. The Switch version may have a tad better graphics, sound, and loading times but they've promised the game experience is identical. I just can't see dropping $360 rather than $60 for the upgrade.
If the WiiU version is that awful I'll sell it to Gamestop and get the Switch.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Will the DLC also be available for the WiiU version of BOTW?
Old 02-21-2017, 07:10 PM

Yes it will.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:40 AM

Wandered over to the Gamestop around 11:30 last night and they had all been claimed. They only had about 5 non pre-order units available and people had apparently been lining up since 6 pm. Drove by the BestBuy and seeing a line of 30+ people called it a night and went home.
Went to Target this morning 10 minutes before they opened and got an in-line ticket. #10 of 13 available units.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:46 PM

Any Doper reviews of it yet?
Old 03-03-2017, 03:50 PM

Can anyone summarize the state of the Virtual Console on the Switch, or whatever they're calling their online store/emulator for old games? I can't quite cut through the signal/noise ratio on google.

I've got a hankering for some old Zelda, and I'm considering dropping a hundred bucks on the Gamecube collector's editions, controllers, and accessories for my Wii. But if all of those versions will be available on the Switch, I could save up and also get the new Zelda, and maybe even Wind Waker HD...

Last edited by lazybratsche; 03-03-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybratsche View Post
Can anyone summarize the state of the Virtual Console on the Switch, or whatever they're calling their online store/emulator for old games? I can't quite cut through the signal/noise ratio on google.
Right now there are no virtual console games and Nintendo hasn't announced any. To me that seems totally bizarre, I suspect even Nintendo isn't sure if they are throwing their whole company behind the switch. If it fails in the market they'll just go back to yet another 3DS update.

List of upcoming games here:
http://www.gamesradar.com/upcoming-n...witch-games/7/

Some retro NeoGeo titles on the list but nothing from Virtual Console.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 PM

There's definitely some kind of virtual console stuff coming by autumn, since they've announced it as part of the paid online package. Not too many details yet, but they did mention that online multiplayer has been added to some of the old games.